“Romatic and relaxing”
Review of Rendezvous Resort

Rendezvous Resort
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 9 May 2010

The short review is that the Rendezvous is a lovely, romantic place and you would be hard pressed not to have a fantastic time here. The longer review follows:

ROOMS
We stayed in a standard room, and I thought that it was pretty spacious and well maintained. Being on the ground floor, we came in via the patio doors which didn’t always lock properly first try and did mean a short fight past the curtain and nets every time we went in or out! There was a good amount of cupboard and drawer space and a nice little dressing area with full-length mirrors. There were also plenty of power points about, including beside the bed and by the table in the dressing area. (Most were UK-style 3-pin sockets, but I did spot a couple of two-pin ones too). The air-con was efficient and not too noisy. I thought the little illuminated mirror on the dressing area table was a nice touch too.

BATHROOM
This was a little disappointing. Not horrible, but for a four-star hotel, I’d have to rate it as a bit “meh”. The loo seat was plastic, the bath fittings were quite ugly and there was no handheld shower attachment – just the one fixed to the wall. There were a couple of anti-slip pads coming loose in the bottom of the bath and worse, there was no glass shower screen, just a curtain. There is no way a shower curtain can be cleaned as thoroughly or as often as a glass screen, so I think that they are unhygienic as well as ugly. Little touches were missing – the loo roll was plonked on top on the loo still in its supermarket wrapper and the tissue box was some kind of own brand affair stuck by the sink, not in any kind of dispenser. It wasn’t an especially large room and there was no cupboard or shelf, just the surface with the sink in. This was roomy enough for all our toiletries, but of course, being round the sink it did tend to get wet. We got one fairly small hand towel each and one modest bath towel each. I did ask at reception for extra towels, as I do need one for my body and one for my hair (which is quite long). They brought me extra towels that night (a bit wasted, as by then I had already showered), but then never did again. I couldn’t be bothered to go back every day, so I just used the blue pool towels as you could get fresh ones from by the Terrace Bar as often as you liked. On the plus side, the mirror was nice, untarnished and all the paintwork and tiles were neat and clean. The hairdryer was handheld and you could adjust the speed and temperature.

WATERSPORTS
There is a good range of water sports and they are very flexible about what you can do when. The guys who work there are really enthusiastic and helpful. There is hobie-cat sailing, water skiing, canoeing and some pedaloes. They also have a dive centre, with one free dive included each day for qualified divers and a try dive for everyone else. The team seemed knowledgeable and had a good programme of dives each day. Most of the kit you need is included in the dive, but they do charge for wet suit hire (USD7). I brought my own wet suit and they hung it up at the centre for me which was convenient and meant that it had dried properly by the time I had to pack it.

SPA
There is a three-room spa – two single rooms and one double. I had a body scrub treatment, which was very pleasant – the whole of the spa is nice and its available for guests anytime as a place to sit in the cool or have a quiet drink if you want to. I think it cost me about USD65 for the treatment and that was with a discount – everyone had a discount card in their room when they arrived and there were various offers on during the week.

POOLS
The main pool has a swim up bar with a balcony above it. There is another pool by the spa, and a hot tub at the side of it. Behind the spa pool there is a Lazy River and this is fantastic. It is screened by plants all the way along and to get to the various seating spots you have to wade along the river. This means that you don’t get many people going by. We found a fab pair of beds – lovely wicker ones with super-comfy cushions - that were right on their own. We could dip in and out of the river and every 30 minutes or so, a nice man would come by and ask what we wanted to drink. A few minutes later he would appear with our choices wading in and out the stream to bring them to us. Every now and then he would just appear with his best guess of what we fancied that time (we changed drinks a lot) and his guesses were all spot on! There were plenty of beds all with sunshades around both pools and along the beach. They were also hammocks dotted about the grounds and a few of those beds with the four-poster style sheets over the top. In other words, it was relatively easy to find somewhere quiet and secluded.
TECH STUFF
There is no wi-fi at the hotel. I knew this before I booked, but it was still hard to disconnected. There is one PC in the office, which costs USD10 per hour. Personally I think it’s a bit cheeky for an all-inclusive hotel to charge for PC time and they badly need to get wi-fi.

FOOD
Breakfast is buffet style. Whilse the restaurant is open air, the buffet is in an air-conditioned room (with automatic sliding doors). There is a nice selection of food, but they have managed to avoid piling up ridiculous amounts as tends to happen in cheaper hotels. The food is good quality and in most cases properly protected from flies. I did see the bread left uncovered though. There is an egg station so that you can always have your eggs cooked fresh and a nice selection of daily specials.
Tea, coffee and croissants are left out most of the morning if you happen to have a really late start and then the lunch buffet starts at 12.30. Again, there a good selection of cooked meals and salads and things like panini or burgers are made up and cooked on request. The waiting staff will bring you whatever you like from the bar. We only went to the evening buffet once – it was perfectly nice, but we were totally sold on the Trysting Place restaurant and booked a table there every evening. It is air conditioned, which is very pleasant after a day in the sun and the waiter service is impeccable. The house wines were quite reasonable – the champagne is a blanc-de-blancs and we liked the Chilean Cab Sav. There were quite a selection of wines that could be bought, but all my favourites were rather expensive – the cheapest that I liked was USD60 a bottle, but that is probably due to my expensive taste! They did have cheaper wines on offer, but to me they weren’t sufficiently better than the house stuff to justify the cost. The meals were four course and the menu changed every three days. We had no trouble choosing three different things from each menu, which is why we ate there every night.
I almost forgot afternoon tea. Most days I would have exploded if I’d had this too, but it was being served just as we arrived and at that point it was perfect. Basically if you sit down the Terrace Restaurant area mid afternoon, you’ll get brought tea or coffee plus a tray of savoury snack and cakes.

STAFF
I found all the staff really helpful, courteous and pleasant. Our maid was a genius who managed to clean our room each day without once coming in when we were there. As I mentioned the water sports staff were particularly enthusiastic and I found so many of them paying attention to detail. Like the drinks waiter by the pool who got to know our preferences or the lady at breakfast who noticed that I drink my tea black and therefor hook the teabag out really quickly – she brought the water and tea bag out separately so that it wouldn’t stew while I was off getting my eggs cooked. When you arrive, there is no lengthy check in procedure, they just give you a drink, say hello and then take you to your room. They leave a check-in form with you to fill in and bring along to reception later or the next day. There is also a welcoming bottle of champagne in your room, which went down very well I must say! The only thing they got wrong was the towel thing I mentioned earlier.

GYM
I should know better, but I went to the gym every day but one. It is a really nice building with big arched windows and, of course, air conditioning. There isn’t a running machine, but their cross trainer has fixed arms and a similar movement to running. There is also a bike – the sit back type – and a step machine. There are four resistance machines and a bench with a large selection of weights. All the equipment is clean and well-maintained. There are four tellys and a music system. Thankfully we were usually there on our own so I could turn off whatever god-awful row they had put on. This is probably just me, but I can’t bear the type of music that gets played in gyms and I want to be able to listed to my shuffle without hearing some ghastly racket thudding away in the background. The gym was usually open earlier than the official time of 7.30 which was handy for getting it out of the way early.

PLANES
There is a little airport close by, so titchy planes go past fairly often. Once or twice it was mildly annoying, but most of the time, we didn’t really notice them.

MUSIC
I find piped music intensely annoying, so I was pleased that most of the hotel was music free. They did play it in the Terrace Bar, but it wasn’t excessively loud. The Trysting Place would have live music – the steel drum player was talented but did have an annoying habit of standing near the tables. Most nights, it was a guy with a guitar and he was fine. Round the pools and most of the grounds there was no music, which was perfect.

SUMMARY
This is advertised as a romantic retreat and it totally fits that bill. Being adults-only, it is a quiet and peaceful place and the pace is unhurried. Staff are attentive but not intrusive. It is easy to find a secluded and romantic place to pass the time, it is easy to enjoy a romantic meal together and I felt that the whole tone of the place was just lovely.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Monk-san
Write a ReviewReviews (2,619)

Reviewed 7 May 2010

When I look back on the month we had at Le Rendezvous I remember only happiness. The place oozes with it. People we met there over our 30 days have sent us photos and I am struck by how genuinely happy everyone looks. I have been trying to analyse why this is, and it's difficult. I suspect that they all have a philosophy of care which is different to just 'service'. I have experienced a lot of excellent service in my travels, but few places where people really care about what they do for others. And they have it at Le Rendezvous by the bucketful. Because we were there for a month we were able to see the staff (and I mean all the staff) working over a long period of time. We were amazed by their tenacity, their ability to keep up the pressure on themselves, their real pleasure in what they do and their interest in the guests. How they manage to keep that up and make everyone feel so special is remarkable.

We watched the gardeners tending every plant - big and small- and we talked to them about their work and they were happy to share their knowledge with us. And the gardens are superb.

We watched those who wait at table and their attention to detail at every meal, the way they remember everyone's little preferences, and their cheerful demeanour is a delight - and at every meal.

The entertainment staff, water sports and sport's staff are, of course, utterly 'up front' and that is what they are supposed to be. They actually managed to make us do things that we've never done before - and that's a real achievement! And they always made us feel as if we were succeeding, and they made us laugh too!

The administrative staff were always happy to help everyone and nothing was ever too much trouble for them. And they look so wonderful in their various tailored suits and killer heels!

I loved it when the staff came and joined the guests for meals - what a lovely touch! And, of course, the ones we never see - the marvellous, marvellous people in the kitchens. What amazing work they do to provide such consistently good food, and such a variety too, and always so beautifully presented.

The bar staff - wow! Great cocktails, great drinks, great measures! And they're so gloriously laid- back about it all - love it!

We were fortunate enough to have 2 different rooms whilst we were there, and both were cleaned and prepared for us faultlessly - what a great housekeeping service they have!

And we met so many lovely guests who were equally complimentary with their praise of Le Rendezvous. People who arrived tired and ready for a holiday and, by the end of their stay, were relaxed, smiling - and happy. That's it really - they make people happy, all of them, and that's a very precious commodity in a world that's rather edgy at present.

I wanted to single out people, but I can't do that, because I would have to name the entire staff and that's impossible. Everyone, but everyone is a a gem, and gems are to be treasured, and I know that the management do that, because otherwise, why would they all work so hard and with such obvious pleasure in what they do? Whatever it is they do, and whatever is their secret ingredient, they need to just keep doing it because it really works.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rebrap
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Arrived at the Rendezvous after a long haul from Scotland. Our hopes were high after reading so many good reviews on trip advisor. Were we disappointed? Read on.
As our minibus pulled up at the hotel we were not alone. Two other vehicles arrived at the same time spilling their guests at the entrance vestibule. Another long wait checking in sprang to mind. Not a bit of it. A well rehearsed routine kicked in with welcoming staff supplying us each with a glass of chilled rum punch and taking us directly to our room, without the need for checking in until a time that suited us. Our luggage arrived five minutes later. A welcoming bottle of bubbly was chilling in our room. A nice touch.
We had opted for a garden room and perhaps not quite as nice as a seaside view was still more than acceptable, being well furnished, spotlessly clean and having a very comfortable, decent sized bed. The bathroom was reasonably large and the shower whilst sometimes being a little slow in drawing hot water to the room was powerful and refreshing.
A quick tour of the grounds and facilities confirmed what we had read. Lovely gardens, well laid out, a nice beach and a facility that was not too big but welcoming and user friendly. Swimmers were spoilt for choice with two pools, a lazy river and safe swimming in clean sea water at the beach.
We spent the best part of two weeks at the Rendezvous and loved every minute of it. There was no hassle. Not once did we feel other than relaxed by the ambience and atmosphere of the whole place. The staff were outstanding and would be a credit to any hotel. Invest your time by speaking to them. They were warm, friendly and would do anything to help. If you preferred to be left alone they left you alone. However this option will ensure you miss much of what makes this hotel special.
The food at the buffet and at the Trysting restaurant was of very high quality and will meet with approval from the vast majority of guests. Spirits were recognised brand names and the house wines more than acceptable. For wine buffs there was an extensive wine list. Our fellow guests spanned a wide range of ages, nationalities, and all seemed to mix well. There was never a crowd. There was no rowdiness. Interesting conversation, friendliness and good company was abundant. The staff made the evenings that little bit special with excellent service, good humoured banter and their not to be missed in house entertainment..
St Lucia is a beautiful island. Take the time to explore. If you are bothered by the occasional street trader a firm but polite no will suffice. However do not mistake an open friendliness exhibited by some of the locals as being threatening. Chill out! We took the trip to Martinique by Catamaran and enjoyed it as the contrast between the two islands is as stark as between the UK and France closer to home. A little bit of France on the other side of the world.
I took advantage of the diving lesson included in our package. The instructors were excellent and I am sure could get even the most nervous of first time scuba divers to appreciate what they have been missing all these years. Also a smidgen warmer than diving in the North Sea.
In summary if you want a holiday in the Carribean where you control the space, in beautiful surroundings, good company and excellent food, catered for by a wonderful staff but do not want to pay through the nose for it the Rendezvous will surely fit the bill. Those trip advisor reviews which we read singing its praises were spot on. The number of repeat guests was clear evidence of something special.
We have been fortunate to travel on a number of occasions to different islands in the Caribbean and to have stayed in various hotels and resorts. This was not the most expensive but proved to be the nicest by some considerable margin. Would we go back despite a golden rule never to visit the same place twice? Well we would hazzard a guess that this rule may be broken sooner rather than later.
Our very best wishes to the team that made the Rendezvous an absolute gem.
P.S it has just started snowing again. Oh to be back in St Lucia!

6  Thank HighlanderInverness
Reviewed 3 May 2010

We stayed at this couples only hotel during the volcanic ash crisis. We should have been there for 2 weeks but ended up staying for 23 days! We kept our room and Sir Richard Branson picked up the bill for the continuing all-inclusive stay!The food was excellent and the staff could not have been more helpful.The entertainment staff(esp Pauline) were very enthusiastic ,but not intrusive.The a la carte restaurant was excellent-thanks Harry, Lovena, Patrick and Desmond.I would go there gain in a flash

3  Thank Ned65
Reviewed 3 May 2010

Having recently returned from 10 wonderful days at the Rendevous. I feel that I have to firstly comment on what is probably the only negative review I have read for the Rendezvous.
Birds in the restaurant. Its an open air restaurant in the tropics so there are a few small birds about, but they have no access to the buffet and are not a problem.
Dogs. it’s a public beach and there are a few dogs about usually on leads with their owners the resort does not have a stray dog problem.
Cats. There is an hotel cat but it is clean healthy and well behaved.
Canadians. Yes the resort is popular with Canadians, they are less reserved and boring than us Brits, but we found them very friendly and damned good fun
Graveyard. There is one next to the hotel, so what..
Small airfield close by has a few departures daily of turboprop aircraft, impact on hotel guests almost nil.
Beach it may not be one of the worlds top five beaches but it clean and tidy and pretty nice.
Mosquitoes Did not see or feel any during my stay though a few people had been bitten outside the resort
The Rendevous is situated right on the beach where the swimming is marvellous snorkelling is not worthwhile , there are no fish to see, as there is no coral There are plenty of sun beds and beach towels always available, so there is no need to engage in German towel wars. The hotel provides all sorts of water sports free, plus serious diving trips for a fee.
In addition there are also loads of land based activities provided free.
I had some misgivings about the “all inclusive “ food and drink quality before I arrived, but they were totally unfounded, The food is very good and well presented and the wines were surprisingly high quality.. As a change from the buffet the Trysting Place provides finer food in a stylish sophisticated setting ,but one could be in any where in the world we preferred to dine by the sea under the stars..
The accommodation is varied and caters for all tastes, rooms by the sea ,the pool ,or in the lovely garden, and it is all beautifully maintained.
The star feature of the Rendezvous are the staff who are not only very slick and professional but also very charming and go out of their way to make every guests stay memorable.
A really huge number of the guests are serial returnees and most first timers want to come back which speaks volumes about the place.
The Rendezvous is a lovely, quiet ,extremely well run hotel, where the management and staff really care about their guests.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank swimmerKent
Reviewed 3 May 2010

i had my honeymoon here and also had the pleasure of being stranded out here becuase of the volcano, i would like to say the hotel was amazing, the food was excellent and the staff were always smiling and helpful. they did a fantastic job considering the preasure they were under with the circumstances. i will definately go back

1  Thank OxfordGees
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Since we relied heavily on TripAdvisor Reviews when picking a honeymoon destination, I feel obligated to review the Rendezvous. We spent 9 days here for our honeymoon in April 2010. We are from the U.S. (Florida), and completely enjoyed our stay. We are 25 and 30 yrs old and had a great time. While we were there, it was primarily couples from the UK in their 40s and 50s, but we did not desire to be at a Sandals type place with a younger crowd. We were looking for a more intimate, non-commercial type place, and the Rendezvous is that. If you are looking for a super elegant, fancy type resort, this is probably not for you. The Rendezvous is an all inclusive, relaxing place with EXCELLENT service from the staff. The grounds are well kept and enjoyable to look at and walk around. There is a small, lazy river, type pool where you can relax and seclude yourself. There is a great spa, with its own quiet pool and jacuzzi which we enjoyed every evening. We each had a few spa treatments and they were enjoyable. The beach is very nice and there are always things to do..tubing, skiing, wakeboarding, sailing, kayaking which are all included at no additional cost. I would give the food a B. We went on a snorkeling trip which was pretty good although going on a choppy day is not recommended. We took a day trip to the Pitons, volcano and waterfall and this is definetely a must before you leave the island. Ask Paul the hotel cab driver to take you and he will stop in some small fishing villages for you to enjoy local food...MAKE SURE YOU ASK HIM TO STOP IN CANNARIES FOR SOME BREAD...best bread ever. Sunsets are gorgeous and its a good place to enjoy your new spouse and relax in beautiful surroundings and have great service. We had a room on the ocean and strongly recommend you pay extra if necessary to get one. The other rooms are set in the back of the hotel with no view.

5  Thank FromFlorida88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Sandals Regency La Toc
Sandals Regency La Toc
#4 of 12 in Castries

Been to Rendezvous Resort? Share your experiences!