“Best Day of Cruise”

Son of Man Sea Tours
Ranked #3 of 56 Tours in Castries
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We recently returned from a Carnival Cruise which stopped in St. Lucia. I am eager to say this was the very BEST excursion of all the ones we took during our vacation. Our guides were friendly and informative. They felt like friends we'd be happy to see again by the end of the day.
I had found Son of Man Sea Tours here on tripadvisor and booked directly with them via email. First, I was so pleased at how quick and easy it was to contact them and book our reservation. They just planned for us...no money down...and saved our reservation for 2 adults and 2 teens. Any time I emailed them with a questions, they were very quick to respond.
When we arrived in St. Lucia there was a little problem finding them. It would have been a bit helpful to have someone with a sign awaiting with all the other offered tours, but mostly it was my fault for not reading their email closely to meet them at the docks beyond the cruise ship.
We were last aboard, but found plenty of seating for the four of us together at the stern. There were 4 couples already on board who had been picked up from the nearby Sandals resort. Total, there were 12 guests with two guides. I wouldn't recommend any more than that number due to the size of the boat and the van. Based on some previous reviews, I would suggest you confirm the total number of guests with them beforehand to ensure it won't be too crowded . That was NOT a problem on our tour.
The tour started with a lovely boat tour of Marigot Bay, then proceeded to Soufriere. Once there we docked and hopped a van to the volcanic vents where we went with a professional guide that explained the geology of the area. We walked a short distance down the hill to the mud baths and enjoyed rubbing volcanic mud all over each other and watching it dry. This was my favorite part of the day. After we had all showered off, we boarded the van and were provided with fresh mango by our guides. We had a very short drive to the refreshing waterfall, where we took turns standing under the falls, then drove back into Soufriere where we were taken to a home for a beautifully prepared and delicious lunch where there was plenty for everyone and freshly squeezed lemonade. After lunch our guides walked us around the town and gave us ample opportunity to shop....though we were mostly back at the boat within 30 minutes by choice. Leaving Sourfriere we boated to the bay between the Pitons to a marine reserve to snorkel. The snorkeling equipment (no fins) wasn't the greatest, but we made do. The snorkeling was very well worth it and we were not rushed. You may want to bring your own snorkeling gear, but you may have to carry it occasionally if you choose to do this. After everyone had had their fill snorkeling, hanging out at the beach or on the boat, we made our way back to the Sandals resort and the Carnival ship. Our guides were on the lookout for sea life on the way back, and though we spotted some flying fish, the dolphins were not to be found this day.
One of the reasons I really enjoyed this tour is the amount of territory we were able to cover in only 6 hours. And to see this side of the island by boat was just breath-taking. Our guides never rushed us through any of the sites....we all moved at our own pace and not once were we told "times up". And, of course, who can complain about coolers full of Piton beer and rum punch and soda and water, all included with the cost of the tour. We were never asked for extra money for anything...it was truely all-inclusive, though we enjoyed it so much, we added a tip at the end of the day.

1  Thank the4leighs

Reviewed 15 June 2010

Just got back from St. Lucia 6-13-10. Elvis approached my wife and I on the beach and told us about the tour. I had no cash so I went to my room. While there I called the front desk at Sandals and they only said we were on our own. After plunking down $200 I didn't sleep much that night. I can now say that was the BEST money spent on the vacation! We were not treated as tourists but as family. Terry did an excellant job on local history, pointing out famous peoples houses, where the original Dr. Doolittle was filmed, the sulpher springs, mud bath, snorkeling were all outstanding. I have to say that the home cooked meal by Elvis' cousin was also a big hit with the entire group of 10 of us. Having a small group was also neat in that you got to know some people and didn't feel like a number. Overall outstanding job, can't wait to go back.

Reviewed 14 June 2010

Recently we were able to experience the beautiful Island of St. Lucia on this tour. This is a great tour that is easy to find and worth the price. Experience the Island with friendly and fun guides. Would recomend this tour to everyone!!!!!

1  Thank JKDeeke
Reviewed 10 June 2010

We did everything, we took a tour by a speed boat and learned about their culture, seen different resorts and islands. we snorkled in clear water between the twin mountains, took a mud bath in vocano sulfur, relaxed in a natural hot tub. then we cooled off in the waterfall. We also ate the most tastful home cooked creole at their house. They treated us like family. I absolutely loved them and would tour with them again....

1  Thank carleenalex
Reviewed 9 June 2010

The boat that picked us up was overcrowded and poorly maintained. Safety was a definite issue! This trip is definitely not for the very young or elderly.

2  Thank time4fun50