Villa Beach Cottages was truly the idyllic vacation spot - we organized three families to spend Christmas together on a Caribbean getaway. I chose this hotel on the basis of other traveller reviews at Trip Advisor and was not disappointed in any way!
Colin and his staff made superb hosts on this extremely friendly island. We spent 11 days having nothing but fun and relaxation. The staff make the difference at this establishment because you really get to know them. With only 14 units, you are truly more than just a number to them. I have to point out that this resort is not for the person looking for an all-inclusive experience. It's exactly the opposite - it is meant for a holiday where you set the agenda for yourself and pursue it.
Some things that were not covered by other reviews include the fact that good grocery and souvenir shopping are available very close by. It's only a five minute walk, but you must walk along the side of a quite busy road that can be narrow in spots. You must just be very careful. An alternative is to use the on-site mini-mart, but the small size means that they can't match the variety that is up the street. Villa Beach also has excellent security. There is a guard on-site 24 hours a day. As with the Villa Beach day staff, Security staff are extremely friendly - we sang Christmas carols with one of the guys on Christmas night while standing by the gazebo on the beachfront.
A few recommendations worth considering for your leisure time:
- Take a two-hour horseback ride on the northeast coast. It includes a portion where you can ride the horse into the ocean to a depth where the horse is swimming with you on its back. Amazing! US$60 per person including transfers to/from the hotel. Villa Beach will arrange the whole trip for you.
- Rent a car and drive to Soufriere and area. This is a full-day trip with incredible scenery. A jeep costs US$65 per day - they drive on the left side of the road in St Lucia, but it's not too difficult to adapt. The going is slow due to multiple switchbacks on the roads: 25-30 miles of distance covered takes 90 minutes on this part of the island. While in Soufriere, have lunch at Ladera Resort where the rich and famous stay. Very reasonable prices (main courses US$15-16) with views that will blow you away. Snorkel at Jalousie Plantation, literally at the foot of a Piton that descends from about 3000 feet straight into the ocean. Beautiful tropical fish and clear, calm waters. We liked it so much, we went back a second time. You can also get fantastic snorkelling at Anse Chastanet, just north of Soufriere. Go to the Botanical Gardens and Diamond Waterfall.
- Go to Anse La Raye for Fish Friday. Reasonable prices and great interaction with a very local crowd.
- Have Clara cook supper for you one night. Delicious food and outstanding service.
- Visit Rodney Bay and Pigeon Point. The history is fascinating here. Have a drink and/or lunch at the Captain's Cellar on Pigeon Point. Again, you have to see it to believe it.
St Lucia and Villa Beach Cottages are truly worth more than one visit. The local people really want to see you back on the island and go out of their way to tell you so. I came away with the feeling that my patronage was highly valued both on St Lucia in general and at Villa Beach specifically.
Many thanks to the Villa Beach crew from John, Lisa, Jillian and Matthew. We'll be back for sure!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An intimate, boutique, beachfront hotel featuring deluxe fully self-contained one and two bedrooms villa suites nestled among the coconut trees and lush tropical gardens at Choc Bay with panoramic views of the Caribbean Sea and offering comfortable, casual luxury with friendly, impeccable service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, West Indies and Cancelon so you can book your Villa Beach Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Beach Cottages Hotel Castries
- Hotel Beach
- Villa Beach Cottages St. Lucia/Castries