“A great experience!”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
smiledanzer82
“A great experience!”
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Going to a couples resort with a freind was a little scary. But my little sister was getting married so I HAD to be there! It was a blast!! The employees were great, the room was beautiful and the bed was huge!! I am DEFINITELY going to another Sandals resort because of my experience here. And if you do go... rent a cabana. It was the best experience I had!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,824)
Toronto
Reviewed 9 June 2012

What an overall disapointment. This resort had been reccommended to me by so many people.

My fiance & I travelled to this resort for a 2 week stay. Overall, the resort grounds are lovely, lush, & beautiful, but if you don't like cats, you won't like all the feral cats roaming around. We were told it was for "pest" control, & several people told us they had seen rats, even on the pool deck. Our ground floor, premium room, was fantastic, except for the cockroach in the tub the morning of departure. That sure killed my plans for a jacuzzi bath.

The trouble started, when upon check-in, I had to go to the front desk 3 times, (after being let into the room), to have both our room door keys reset, as well as the safe. We couldn't get into the room. It was a total of 7-8 times, in 14 days, that we had to have the front desk re-program the cards. That's completely unacceptable. Also, the room safe didn't work, & finally after the 3rd time, security changed the batteries in the control panel. Again unacceptable.

The wedding planner that we met with was wonderful! The wedding itself was perfect! Just us & 2 couples that we met who were also honeymooning. However, I had booked directly with Sandals rather than a travel agent, & was not told of the details we needed to provide for the wedding day, ie: music, etc., although we had been told about all the necessary paperwork to send in advance & bring with us.

The photographer was amazing, & it was difficult to narrow down 180 pictures into the 45 that we purchased. Couldn't afford them all, (it would have been thousands of dollars), but we selected our favourites. Thank you to Shaundell, (wedding consultant), Nigel, (photographer), & Garry, (photo shop), who patiently reviewed the photos with us!

Unfortunately, we didn't know that the beach is crushed shells for the most part, & out of our 14 day stay, there were only 3 days where the yellow caution flag was flown. Every other day it was red flag, & diffinately unsafe to venture into the Caribbean. We ended up spending our time in 1 of the 3 pools. When I go to the Caribbean, my husband & I, want to enjoy beach walks & swimming. That was very disappointing. As well, the website advertises a Caribbean restaurant called the Pitons, but it was closed, seems permanently.

In the main lodge, the wait staff & maid service was hap-hazard for the most part. Some of the staff were fantastic, but we could tell most of them were there for the pay cheque. The swim-up bar staff at the main pool were very slow to serve & often they'll all be serving only one side of the bar while the other sides were waiting. We soon learned to order 2 drinks at a time so as to not need to go back so frequently & waste our swim/sun time. The bars ran out of white rum by 1 p.m. every day. Very disappointing when they advertise premium drinks of your choice. As well, at the main pool, the hot tub jets didn't work at all in one hot tub, & the staff didn't seem to care.

On the other hand, when we went up the hill to the pool at Armandos, the staff were very attentive & after 1 or 2 orders, had the drinks poured & ready by the time we swam up to the bar when they saw us heading over. They were excellent! But again, ran out of white rum. It was a much quieter pool area, so it was more restful. We didn't like the noisy pool games at the main pool which when in effect, held us hostage from swimming freely around the entire pool.

As far as the food, it was so-so. For dinner, the La Toc, French restaurant was the best. Armandos was good the first night, but the second evening we went & sat outside. We called the manager over due to lack of service & the cockroaches that were all over. I lost my appitite very quickly. Armandos has a limited menu, so maybe we should have gone only the one evening.

Saturday evening is Steak night at the buffet dining room, but my steak was not tender & I couldn't eat 1/2 of it. We found the buffet overall to get boring after many days of seeing the same breakfast items, but delighted on the last day when they served blueberry crepes & a couple of other offerings that we hadn't seen prior to then. However, honerable mention goes out to Kirton, the egg chef at breakfast for making wonderful eggs & omelettes.

The pub is loud & noisy, & if you arrive in the evening, (in our case it was a Sunday), it is the only option. So-so food & really lousy service. The pizza place is not so great, & Neptunes didn't compare to the beach restaurant I previously experienced at Sandals in Cuba.

We went over to The Grand for a day, & discovered it had lovely grounds, low buildings with ocean views from every room, & regretted that we had chosen La Toc. It was too late in our stay to move resorts, but I would recommend The Grand over La Toc, hands down. The couples we met at the Grand recommended to request the Caribbean view rather than the Atlantic side...ground floor so you're not looking at palm trees marring your view. The water was smooth as glass, (Caribbean side), & after the mini tsunami waves over at La Toc, it was wonderful. The bar staff at the main bar on the beach were also very attentive & far friendlier than bar staf at any of the bars at La Toc. They were laughing & joking & obviously enjoyed their jobs!

We ran into a couple who were staying at Sandals Halcyon Beach. They said it was smaller & quieter, but when they told us the rooms/resort was fumigated during their stay, that was a big turn off! We didn't even bother to go there for a day.

For our honeymoon, we would have prefered a quieter resort. The nightly entertainment was annoying, & the only evening we enjoyed was the band that did great covers of Bob Marley tunes. Overall, I think I'm being generous with the 3 star rating. We won't go back & the management know how upset we were overall, yet they didn't offer any compensation, such as a complimentary couples massage, etc.

As for the room...You shouldn't have to contact the front desk to have your mini bar refilled with pop/water/juice, but that's what happened at La Toc. I went one day to shower for dinner, & thank goodness I had brought my used, wet, chlorine scented towel with me, as the room was made up, but there were no towels. Management knew us on a first name bases after that! But they didn't even seem to care. I'm sorry, but when I spent $10,000.00+ on our wedding/honeymoon trip, I expect better than the service we recieved. I've had better rooms/service at a highway motel when on a road trip.

Don't choose La Toc. There are better Sandals in other locations. If we ever go back, we'll stay at the Grand. But next time I think we're going to plan to go to Jamaica to one of the resorts. I, personally, would reccommend Sandals Royal Hicacos, Veradero, Cuba, or even Sandals, Antiguia, (a lovely island).

On a positive note, the St. Lucians are very friendly We enjoyed 2 excursions. One was the evening sunset cruise, & the other the all-day Soufriere adventure cruise, including snorkling.

Would we go back? Maybe to the island, many years from now, but diffinately not to this resort. I have never complained about any other place I've visited, & that includes Caribbean, Canada, Europe, Mediterainian. For our dream wedding/honeymoon, it was very disappointing, but I'll never say never, & our next trip will be Miami & the Keys! No all-inclusive next time.

Room Tip: If you want peace & quiet, choose a garden view, not over the pool, (I'd been warned of that...
3 Thank Blondegirl07
, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
After speaking privately, I'm glad the management at Sandals La Toc was able to address some of the issues and provide you with the kind of customer service we strive to attain every day at our resorts. Thank you for your review. Although we love to hear the good, even the not-so-good reviews help us to improve and ensure that our guests in the future have a seamless and enjoyable stay at our resorts.

We look forward to your return!

Best Wishes,
Cassie C.
Review Coordinator
Sandals | Beaches Resorts
Peace River, Canada
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Sandals La Toc Golf Resort and Spa is a beautiful couples only resort. The bus ride from the airport is a long one, on a narrow, very windey road. Make sure you take something for nausea well in advance if you are prone to motion sickness!! We were travelling with 14 other couples as our daughter was being married in St. Lucia (not at the resort - she wanted something more private). Upon arrival we were greeted by Sandals staff who immediately took us into a games room where we were given champagne, snacks, and they provided us with a short orientation of the resort. After the orientation we were escorted to our rooms. Our luggage was delivered to us shortly after. Our room was a single King that overlooked the pool, and had a great view of the ocean. Our room was very clean and the air conditioning worked great. Our mini fridge was stocked with water and other non alcoholic refreshments on a daily basis. We were at La Toc for 7 nights and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves considering my husband and I don't normally stay in all inclusives. I found that the majority of couples at the resort were honeymooners and under the age of 30. There was lots to do as the resort offered complimentary scuba, snorkling, paddle boards, hobie cats, kayaks, and sailing. My husband is a certified diver and enjoyed the two excursions he went out on. Not the best diving he's ever done but good for beginners. I loved the beach and the ocean and spent most of my time there. The ocean was clean, clear, and warm with just enough waves to keep things interesting. The beach itself was immaculately clean. The pool area is designed beautifully but can be very crowded as the lounge chairs are very close to each other. Doesn't give you any kind of privacy so we stuck to the beach. Drinks from the pool bar were mostly terrible. I don't think the bartenders knew what they were making. Most of the drinks I got there I couldn't finish they were so bad. We ordered from the other bars which were much better but a bit of an inconvenience. The staff always had games going and did their best to keep everyone entertained. There was always music playing and things going on so you couldn't really relax and just read a book at the main pool if that's what you were looking to do. If you prefer the pool to the ocean, I would suggest you make your way up to the pool area located on the cliff. Way quieter and provides a spectacular view. The food was really good for an all inclusive. We never did get to the La Toc restaurant (French cuisine) but everyone else in our party raved about it. The Pavillion (buffet style) had lots to choose from for both breakfast and lunch with a themed dinner menu in the evenings. Kimono's was a fun experience. The food was average but your personal chef will be sure to keep you laughing and entertained. My wine glass was never empty. We ate at all the other restaurants and the menu had lots to choose from and the food itself was good. My husband golfed one of the days. Though the green fees were free, you still had to rent clubs, a cart, and you have to have a caddie. He found the caddies to be a bit intrusive and really didn't let you just have fun on your own terms. There is a dress code so make sure you have on a collared shirt, and no open toed shoes, otherwise you won't be allowed onto the course. His experience on the golf course was meh' and he had no desire to play again. We didn't make use of the spa, however those in our group who did all had a very good experience. All in all Sandals La Toc is a very nice resort but certainly not worth the high price.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank Woodgang_PR
Rochester, Michigan
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Let me start with we had a fabulous honeymoon. I have traveled to many other Caribbean islands, Aruba, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, etc, and St. Lucia is beautiful! As an experienced traveler, Sandals did not blow me away as they advertise. Our room was very unimpressive, very basic. Yes we had the king size bed, flat screen TV, small living area and mini fridge, but when Sandals says luxury rooms, I do not expect the bathroom at my local gym to be better than the bathroom in our hotel room. Water from the shower sprayed all over the place and you could tell mold was starting to develop. But we made the best of it. The "whirl pool tub" consists of a basic bathtub with 3 jets. We never bothered to turn it on. LOL.
We stayed in Building 3 and with the walk out oceanfront. We had a great view after complaining about the view in our first room. Sandals was happy to move us after 1 night. I read reviews about some people's rooms were not provided with alcohol or pop in their mini fridge. But we were replenished daily, including bottles of red & white wine. We did have the concierge service, so not sure if that is what made the difference. I also thought the concierge service was a bit of crock considering we didn’t even get room service. Again, when Sandals portrays "luxury", I expect room service especially with the concierge service we paid additional for.

Make a note to really explore the resort, like I said our room was in the main building near the spa and we walked up the Sunset Bluffs to the other pool on the cliff. BEAUTIFUL VIEWS UP THERE! Wish we would have ventured up there earlier. The pool up there even though smaller, had cushioned chairs and a swim up bar. It was perfect, nice and quiet unlike the main pool. But because the beach is small at La Toc, a majority of the crowd gathers at the main pool. Never had a problem getting a chair at the main pool. At the beach, the red flag was out for the majority of our trip. Speaking of the beach, go check out the Grande for a day, transportation is included and the beach at the Grande really is big, beautiful and calm.
La Toc, in my opinion is the best of the 3 Sandals in St Lucia as we did go to the Grande one day and saw the Halcyon on the way to the Grande. The food was outstanding at La Toc, I had a good meal every night. Yes, the portions are smaller than the average American, just order 2 things. They really don't care, you've already paid for it. Service isn’t the speediest, but you are on your honeymoon/vacation so what's the rush?! The staff is happy to be of service to you. But yes communication does lack at times. Make sure you make reservations at La Toc and Japanese place. Both were great.
I will say premium liquor was hard to find - the Vodka at least. I saw Jack Daniels and other whiskeys, but whiskey isn’t my thing. It really didn’t bother us, as we mainly stuck to the fruity drinks that the bartenders would make. And no they do NOT make the drinks weak. I brought my own cup because I have been to many all inclusive where they wash the cups through this sanitizer and it grosses me out. But La Toc does provide straws which is nice. What also made up for the hard to find premium alcohol was the great house wine - Beringer. No extra cost.

About the cats, yes there are roaming cats. They did come to our patio as we had an oceanview walk out. We have a cat, so we really werent bothered by this. The cats dont touch you or anything. They are just there. But if you are not a cat lover, I can see this being bothersome.

We did get the private transportation and it was great. We heard horror stories from others about the Sandals bus ride there. Yes, the roads are windy, and even in a car, I was getting a little car sick (which I don't really ever get car sick).

There was always something to do at night. Yes, the entertainment was a bit tacky. But we had our own fun. We went to the Casino night. I believe the bar stays open till 2am. But we are early birds and were typically in bed no later than 11. Never had a problem finding something to do.

Also, be sure to bring your own sunscreen or anything else you may need! Sunscreen in the store was $25 and a travel-sized bottle of shampoo was $5!

The food is what saved us, like I said we were not overly impressed with the resort when we first arrived. Again, venture around - the resort is huge! We were very happy once we walked all the way up the long hill up the Sunset Bluffs. Don't just stay by the main building. In addition, other restaurants like the Italian restaurant are open for sit down lunch & breakfast. If you aren’t happy about something, say something, the staff is more than willingly to accommodate you.
We had a fabulous honeymoon, but was it worth every dollar? Probably not - because I have seen much better accommodations and resort layouts at other resorts. But if this is your first trip with your newly husband/wife and you have never been anywhere tropical or all inclusive, I am sure you will find the La Toc wonderful. Sandals markets to those couples who do not know any better in my opinion.

Room Tip: From what I saw, get a villa room with a private patio. Rooms in main building are near everything a...
2 Thank CheeriosChick
Elkridge, Maryland
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We had a great time. We spent most of our time at La Toc, but did venture over to Grande on 3 occasions. La Toc is beautiful, very romantic and very much geared for couples...lots of small tables for 2 at the restaurants and such. Large percentage of honeymooners and anniversary guests. NOT a good place for those who have trouble walking/wheelchair/etc...steps everywhere and the resort is spread out over the coast from the beach up the cliff. Food was good, portions on the small side and dont expect to get served quickly (you are on vacation, no need to rush, right?). Free snorkel and scuba (if certified, can get certified there for extra fee)...short bus ride to the port, then boat to a dive area. La Toc and Halcyon use the same boat/location, Grande has their own boat and goes to a different location. Never made it to Halcyon, heard it was a bore. Grande was nice, great beach...better than La Toc....shallow, low waves if any, pier, etc. La Toc beach tended to be rougher and got deeper quicker and no pier. We also went zip lining, was fun...the resort even sent a photographer with us, so if you chose to buy pictures you could bundle it with other pictures taken around the resort. The only drawback with the pictures they take (other than price) is that if you have pics taken at one of the other Sandals on St Lucia you have to buy the pics at that resort, they will not combine your pics/order between resorts. Overall, we enjoyed Sandals La Toc...very romantic and relaxing...great for honeymooners/etc...not good for singles! if you are more 'beach' people and/or a group of singles, go to the Grande.

All of the beaches on St Lucia are public, but there wasnt much in the way of non-resort use of the beach other than on Sunday.

St Lucia airport reminded me a lot of Jamaica from the first time I visited in 1998...small, not much in the way of shops/food, walk off the back of the airplane, etc. The island is similar too with all the poverty evident as you drive around the island.

- Tip: buy alcohol at the airport, cheaper than buying at the resort (even the "sales" at the resort)

Room Tip: The higher priced rooms, concierge/butler/private pool/etc, are generally away from the main area of...
2 Thank najnad
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I read reviews prior to going so we did not have many good/bad surprises. The shuttle from the airport to the resort is awful! The driver goes extremely fast on broken narrow roads, and hairpin turns. My poor wife threw up 2 or three times out the window, so that was not a good way to start out. I do have to say that the shuttle that took us back to the airport went slow, and their was no sense of urgency by the driver, so that was a plus!

The La Toc resort is, for the most part, nice. We were satisfied with our room, bed, etc. We were in the 7 story building connected to the gift shop and photo area. We left the A/C 24-7, so our room felt great to come back to in the evenings.

I read some reviews prior to going that said the food was not good, and that the nicer places were not fine dining. We thought the food was wonderful! Everything we ordered was great! Lots of flavor, and served hot. Sometimes the service was slow, but we just drank more.

Our favorite places were in order: La Toc, The Pitons, Kimones, Armondos, the Pavilion. We did not eat at Neptunes, b/c to many people we ran into at the pool, said the service was slow! Also, the bar by neptunes, did a poor job making most drinks, they were never good. We ate at the Cricketeer the evening of our arrival, and the food was not very good, and served in very small portions. I do want to mention that i ate a fresh pizza every day from the pizza pit next to Neptunes. They were so good, and a perfect snack to hold me off before dinner.

Our favorite drinks were the dirty banana and No Pressure. It was funny how 3 bartenders could make the same drink and they taste totally different. i stuck with a lot of crown and cokes!

Water sports were very fun! We sailed and paddleboard ever day! Pool volleyball was also a lot of fun.

I know everyone raves about the Joe Knows tour, but I was so sick of seeing that damn boat come up to the beach every afternoon with a bunch of drunk people dancing and screaming, joe knows!

We were a little disappointed in the size of the workout room by the spa. 8 people could feel it up, and not a lot of room to left weights.

I wanted to personaly mention that the manager at the on-site photography place, Shana, went beyond the call of duty for my wife and I. She was great, and I recommend anyone wanting anniversary/wedding photos to request her! Mosea (sp?) Manager at La Toc was very nice, and we enjoyed taking to him. Michael the bartender was very nice, and went out of his way to talk to you outside the drinking booth. some bartenders were not very nice, and acted like they hated their job. George was a pool side server, that went an made special drinks and brought them to people around the pool. He was very, very nice, and his drinks were awesome! Georgiana was our house keeper and she was wonderful, very nice!!

Overall, we enjoyed our trip.

1 Thank J R
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon from Sandals La Toc in St. Lucia. The resort was beautiful and everything was good; however, given the price and the Sandals reputation, it wasn't everything it was advertised and dare I say it, a tad overpriced.

Starting with the resort itself: it is about an hour or so away from the airport and the road to is very curvy and hilly; I tend to get motion sickness and felt it on the ride. When we got there and went into the main lobby, I was very unimpressive. Don't get me wrong, it was very nice, but I expected to be blown away; I have walked into nicer lobbies at a Westin (should note, that we did go to the Grande for a day and that lobby was much better). After getting to our room.,the first thing I noticed was how small it was. Now we paid a good amount to stay in the Emerald Isle Ocean View room with sun deck and while to view overlooking our deck w2as beautiful, the room itself was small. No table and chairs, small dresses, unimpressive bathroom. Again, I have stayed at nicer rooms and both a Marriott and Westin. Below I am going to quote what is advertised on the Sandals website as to what SHOULD have been in the room upon arrival.

"Honeymoon
FREE Package

A BUBBLY WELCOME: A bottle of chilled sparkling wine elegantly arranged in your room upon arrival to toast your future.
A ROMANTIC GESTURE: A special turndown service that includes flower petals on your bed on the first evening of your honeymoon.
Wake up to Wedded Bliss: Delight in a delivery of fresh flowers and a decadent breakfast in bed "

None of the above were there and we thought maybe it wasn't supposed to be right away, so we gave it some time. The next day at lunch we asked another couple who was on their honeymoon if they got above and they said it was there on arrival. We went to the front desk and mentioned it, and were assured it would be taken care of. After dinner it still wasn't so we complained again, upon which the bottle of champagne and the breakfast in bed card were delivered, but not the rose petals. Note we did complain about this upon leaving to the manager and he did not seem to be aware of any roses.

The food was overall very good, but again we just hoped for more when all things considered. I will say that LA TOC restaraunt was the best on the resort. We also had dinner on the beacj on our last night and it was outstanding.

The service was slow at times, but that could be just the standard in St. Lucia and/or what they are going for since we were on vacation, so I will give them a pass. What disappointed us was that we often would ask the servers what certain items were and they were unable to describe them. Overall, most of the people were very nice.

We did end up getting couples massages at the spa which were very relaxing, but also very expensive. I know the pricing is likely consistent at all the resorts, but I think $130 for a 50-minute massage is outrageous. I can get one at home for half the price.

I must say the highlight of our vacation was probably the Joe Knows tour. You can book in advance or on the beach with Mitch and we would highly recommend it. There is a tour desk that has the Sandals tours and the Joe Knows tour we did had everything the Sandals one did and more, and at a better price.

The check-out process was never explained to us so we went down the day before to the front desk. We were told that we should be getting a packet in our room that day. Most of the afternoon went by and still nothing so we called down again and were ensured that it would be there by 6. We returned from dinner around 8 and again, nothing there. We went down to the front desk again and were told to wait a bit, in a few minutes we were given our packet. The most insulting part of it was that when we woke up the next day at 8am (mind you we had to check out at 10), the packet was there. So basically, if we hadn't said anything, we would have not known about what to do until that morning. Upon complaining to the manager about this (and the honeymoon deliver issue) when we left, we were offered a luxury transport to the airport. We were not sure if we should have been insulted or gracious by this, but declined and took a minimal room credit.

Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice place: good food, good service, nice pools, location and view were great; we just expected better given the reputation and the price.

5 Thank sabreguy409
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!