“Amazing Honeymoon”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Rochester, New York
“Amazing Honeymoon”
Reviewed 1 July 2008

We stayed at the Regency from 6/16-6/25 and had an amazing time. Of course you read a few negative reviews, but these people must have the wrong kind of expectations or are just difficult to please. When we arrived our initial room was one of the older rooms, so we went to the front desk to see if we could change. The next day Janine had us in one of the remoldeled rooms which was amazing (and an upgrade). I will give you a brief bullet point of the things we enjoyed the most and some tips.

-call before you go to set up dinner reservations at La Toc/Kimonos
-do the zip line tour and and try to request Gregg as the tour guide...makes the trip very interesting w/ knowledge of the island. use your camera to video going down the line
-Deap sea fishing was a lot of fun even though we didn't catch much-the best rum punch
-do the catamaran tour instead of the land & sea-same stops minus the long bus ride
-We went to a local restuarant one night and it is probably one of the best nights. We went to Rainforest Hideaway in Marigot Bay and you take a taxi to get there and then a very short water taxi to get to the restaurant. Food was amazing
-Take a taxi (not the sandals tour) to the market in Castries. They have lots of gifts and you can negotiate-very safe
- At the Grand go to Pigeon island ($5) and hike up to Fort Rodney- Its not as far as it looks and you just walk down the beach and through the parking lot to the entrance-great views
-Sign up for the Pirate dinner on Thursday-very good
-our only regreat was not going the the Friday night street party in Anse La Raye (it was raining). we heard it was a lot of fun.

All the food we was very good (its not 5 star) and our favorites were the Piton, Arizonas, Mario's, Pavillion, Barefoot by the Sea. Bayside @ the Grande had the best breakfast

The staff was very friendly and we never came across anyone with a bad attitude. They always seemed to go out of their way to help.

The pool was a lot of fun and the drinks were very good. It does take some getting used to drinking warmer beer but the Piton is good (you have to try it ice cold out of a bottle- much better). Try the Dirty Banana

We liked this hotel better than the other 3 with the Grande coming in a close second. The Halcyon looked very boring

If you have any questions, please send me a message

• Liked — The newly renovated room and the pool area
  • Disliked — Our first room was old (but they moved us)
5 Thank orange44

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,833)
Guelph
Reviewed 30 June 2008

We visited Sandals Regency from June 15th to June 22nd for our Honeymoon. While it was a good stay, I wouldn't say it was Amazing.
First, let me just say that If you are on your Honeymoon, DON'T EXPECT SPECIAL TREATMENT....EVERYONE is on their Honeymoon. If you want "extra's", be ready to pay A LOT for them. For example, the Candle lit dinner on the beach is an extra $250.00, Couple's massage is $300.00.

Our trip began with The resort giving us the wrong Room key. We had to wait outside our room in the Heat for at least 25 minutes until someone returned and told us they were taking us to another room, since they couldn't find the correct Key.

ROOM:
I was definitely a little dissapointed once we did get in to our actual room. It was VERY outdated, and not like what the pictures look like on the websites, that is for sure. Decore, paint and TV, definitely quite Old. I would recommend specifically Asking for an updated room, don't just assume you will get one.

RESTAURANTS:
We overall did enjoy the food and restaurants. We found The Food At LA TOC to be the best, but be sure to make reservations Early in your stay if you want to get in, I would also CONFIRM them, as they somehow lost our reservation for one night, but they did manage to squeeze us back in but not until 9pm.
Armando's and the Piton's were good, we liked the atmosphere at both of them as well. KIMONO's was a good experience, BUT the food was nothing special.
Arizona's Bar and Grill was Great for snack type foods, such as Nacho's, burgers, pizza...HOWEVER there is a Sewage Smell in the far part of that restaurant that was Discusting. That is definitely one Valid Complaint that I have. There were a few parts of the resort with this smell....IT WAS NOT GOOD.

SERVICE: We found the service to be good.Workers are pleasant for the most part. THE MEN ARE FAR MORE PLEASANT then the Women though. At each restaurant/bar we went to, I would always hope we would get a man serving us. I don't think that the women mean to be rude, it is just their personality.

DRINKS: Were great! Not sure what some people were talking about them being weak. They also have a GREAT selection of liquor. My husband loves to drink Scotch and whiskeys and things like that, and they had a great selection of Premium Brands.

BEACH/POOLS: I loved the beach. Yes, it is a little bit more rough than other parts of the world I've visited, but NOTHING that prevents you from going swimming. It was nice and warm and definitely large enough. The main pool is huge but also crowded. Go up to Armando's pool if you want a more relaxing Atmosphere. The pool is gorgeous, However, there was A Problem with baby flies in that pool one day and it was Horrible. There were Thousands of them floating around. It was gross, and I refused to go in it.. They would get all over your body and in you hair. The staff didnt even seem to notice. Not sure why.
I have One Complaint with both the pool and beach. There are not enough Umbrella's At All! You would have to be out there reserving an umbrella by the pool by 9am if you wanted to get one. and The Beach didnt have any at all!!! They had a few of these little clam things that you could sit under, but they had NO Air flow at all, and it was impossible to stay in them. They REALLY need to get some umbrella's on the beach.

RESORT: Was beautiful. It was very well kept and there are Gazebo's and cabana's and hammocks that you can go relax in all over the resort.

ISLAND: Is Absolutley Incredible. The most BEAUTIFUL place I've ever been to.

OVERALL: I realize my review has mixed opinions. To sum it all up, it was a very good vacation, with a few negatives. It defintely isn't perfect, but it was good, and I would recommend going but DO NOT EXPECT PERFECTION. I realize that my expectations may have been a little high, but we are overall happy with our honeymoon.

4 Thank bbdoll100
Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 June 2008

The food and drinks did not meet our expectations. Dinner at La Toc and Armandos were both very good. Breakfast and lunch at the Pavilion have room for improvement. I really liked the grilled skewers for lunch at the Pavilion. We had burgers and fries at Arizona and they were horrible. We wish there was more beer choices; the Piton was a local beer, nice to have, but the Heineken was very similar. They should offer something different. I had a hard time finding a mixed drink I liked. The only two we enjoyed were the dirty banana (uses a fresh banana, blended and a frozen mudslide, also blended). The Pina Colada was horrible! Our room was very nice and the maids kept it very clean. The problems we had were the glasses for the bar were dirty (from sitting) and the air conditioner was dripping water down the wall into the glasses for the bar. Our bathroom door did not close when we arrived. We had to request to have this fixed, twice, before it was repaired. I believe the first woman we spoke to at the front desk did not contact maintenance. The bar at the Pavilion had a persistent, foul stench emanating from it, that indicated a lack of cleanliness. None of the drinks from the bar were every very cold (draft beer, white wine). The metal drum band for evening entertainment was excellent. The two boys who were our golf caddies were excellent - very personable and helpful. They instructed me on my first golf outing and did an excellent job. Our tour on the Tropical Jeep Safari was excellent because our guide, Sho Wayne, was excellent - personable, funny, very knowledgable and helpful. The local lunch we had on the Land and Sea Tour was very good. The pool and the swim up bar at the pool was very nice; I just wish the mixed drinks were better. There were no clocks anywhere, which was probably intentional, but made it hard to meet the breakfast and lunch hour deadlines when you were lounging at the pool. The "Bartender's Special" cocktail at Kimono's was very good; I recommend it. We had a good time overall. This was our first experience at an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean and I just think this isn't our style of vacation. If the food and drinks were better, we would have enjoyed ourselves more.

• Liked — The room, views
  • Disliked — The food and drinks
5 Thank G-Vegas_Travellers
Darlington, SC
Reviewed 29 June 2008

Me and my wife joined 9 other couples for a 4-night get-away and had a great time. The resort is beautiful and my room was great. We stayed in the main hotel. I had 3 of my friends that had a "higher grade" room that was not at the main hotel and they wish they had a room in the main area. It is better to be in the center of everything was the concensus.
The food was hit and miss. Breakfast and lunch was good. Dinner was not all that great. We had a great meal at the Japanese resturaunt and the resturaunt at the main pool was great, but the Italian resturaunt was bad. The service at all places was OK at best. On the last night, I gave a $20 tip before we sat down and that seemed to help.

The pool is awesome but the pool bar was terrible. They would have 4 people working behind the bar and only one fixing drinks with people lined up for drinks. Ususally had to wait 15-20 minutes for a drink. I went to the bar at 4:40 to get a drink before the bar closed and at 4:55, he declared the bar closed and I couldn't get a drink. Also, they only have draft beer at the bar and it was hot. Our second day, me and a friend got a cab and went to Big J's, which is similar to a Sam's club. There, we bought 10 cases of beer for our group and a cooler and that fixed our hot beer problem at the pool bar.

Overall, I enjoyed the trip but I don't think I will go back. I'd just assume to go on a cruise. I wasn't disappointed (except for bar service), I just wasn't impressed.

• Liked — The room or the pool
  • Disliked — service or the beer available
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank Usecd
New York
Reviewed 27 June 2008

The Situation

My daughter was going to get married on June 21st at the resort but changed her mind at the last minute and decided to have it off site, still in St. Lucia, but on a beach at 4:00 PM. Turned out, her choice for times was not available on that day and 11:00 is pretty hot for a beach wedding. Also, there are alot of locals wandering around, getting in the pictures etc.. so we decided to seek out alternatives. We did this about 4 months in advance. Without knowing what the property looked like, the way they do the weddings and the service, it was difficult to decide for sure until we spoke to someone outside the resport. We opted to have all our friends and family stay on-site and hired a private wedding planner. They were great. Tropical Island Weddings, Ray did a wonderful job. I must say not say anything bad about Sandals, but if I were doing a destination wedding again, I would have gone to the property myself to determine what and who I would like to do the wedding. The resort was very accommodating and the weddings I saw taking place while I was there seemed very nice and the folks looked very happy.

My experience

The trip from the airport - is not as bad as everyone makes it.out to be. Just try to get the larger van when they start packing you luggage to take you to the hotel.. even if you have to wait for the next van, the little Mitsubishi's vans just don't fare as well as the Toyota's do on the twisty and hilly roads. If you come from NYC to the island, non-stop is the way to go. We traveled directly from JFK to UVF . otherwise you switch in Miami or San Juan and then into St. Lucia. There are 2 airports.. one about 5 minutes from the hotel and another one 45 minutes. The one 5 minutes does not accommodate big jets so you come in from somewhere else. We chose to airport farthest from the hotel because it was direct. It you have some extra money, take the helicopter ride.. its quick and the sights are breathtakingly beautiful, my daughter, the bride did and thoroughly enjoyed it. The downside is, its $120 each.. so you have to decide if the $250 is worth it. We opted for the company van, which when full, really struggled to get up and down the hills. As they say on the island "no pressure, no problem". You will be a bit surprised at the types of homes and sights as you travel to the resort, but rest assured, the property is outstanding. We arrived about 75 minutes after leaving the airport. They welcomed us and escorted us up to a reception area where we were offered rum punch, cookies, fruit etc. a real nice welcome. Once everyone was present, the took our names, explained the registration process, got our credt card info for incidentals and then shared with us about Sandals Regency. I must say, it was all a blurr... after the exciting up and down ride from the airport, I was still trying to get my bearings... but no problem... once you get out to your room, in 24 hours, you will get the lay of the land and become a real pro at getting around the property. We stayed on the bluffs... We had a second floor room with an ocean view, no balcony. We loved it.. it was quiet and away from all the mainstream in the hotel area and the pool . Best yet, there is a pool up where we stayed, and it was much more quiet than the main pool. Armando's, the restaurant up on the bluffs was a great place for our first morning breakfast ( and they have great dinner too - Italian). You will find you can either have a sit down breakfast and order from the menu or truck down to the pavillion to eat buffet style. I liked both so we did a little of each. There are many places to eat.. so make sure you check them all out early on. I did gain 5 pounds upon my return home and that was after 6 days... the food was good. Not Great, but good. I have no complaints. I did share with the resort my concerns about service. The people are the resort were very nice, courteous and helpful. They were great. The only problem is that there was really no sense of urgency when asked for something. I found I had to ask for coffee at the table 2-3 times. If I didn't aski, it didn't come. So you make the decision, if you don't get it when you ask the first time.. ask again... they don't mind... and no need to get crabby with them. The help there are very hard working and really want to help you. They just need reminding. In our room I asked for extra shampoo and got that evening when they come in to turn down the sheets. They do turn down service every evening. Its really nice. Our room was an upgrade.. if you can affort it.. do it... the better rooms are with ocean views and with balconies. Evening entertainment was great.. we did Yoga, couples massage lessions and even took out the hobie cat sailboats. We did the canopy tour, I loved that and hear all the excursions were really nice. I wish we could have stayed longer, there is so much to do. I would suggest you take time to do some planning before you go and once you get there.. .because before you know it.. its time to go home. Another nice thing about Sandals St. Lucia is the abilty to go to any other the other properties. The Grand and the Halicon. We did go over to the Grand for dinner one evening. We had dinner (no reservations reqired) at a restauran called Barefoot on the Beach. A very nice littlle place where you sit on padded picnic tables, very nicely decorated the view was wonderful. Food was great, and service excellent. So, I am one happy father of the bride. Our wedding dinner was also held offsite at a location called the Rainforest Hideaway over in Marigol Bay. Its rated as one of the best restaurants on the island.. and I agree... try it.. its really excellent and they did a great job serving all 24 of us.. my hats off to them.

I would do this again in a minute.. we had a wonderful time, all the guests were really pleased and hope you can take time to make a vacation to Sandals and the island of St. Lucia..

Happy travels...

• Liked — Location and views
  • Disliked — Nothing...
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
7 Thank EmptynesterNY
NC
Reviewed 26 June 2008

I don't even know where to begin for this review...we had the best time at the Regency and everything was fantastic. I guess I can break the review down into the days we there, that way I only review what I know about. Also, note I have been reading the reviews of this resort since we booked it for our honeymoon back in August 2007. I came to the conclusion that the negative reviews come from negative people and you can't be a negative person going to the Caribbean! Pack your chill and have a great time! Remember nothing in life is perfect, but it was darn close there.

Sunday, June 8th
Arrived at the airport that is the farthest away from the resort, but the drive is not bad at all. It's a GREAT way to see the island. The ride only takes about 1 hour and our driver told us information about St. Lucia on the way. We stayed in the Honeymoon Oceanfront One Bedroom Suite with concierge service so our check-in was a breeze. The room was fantastic! It was a 2 story with the living room, TV, and bar downstairs and the bedroom and bathroom upstairs. The closet was a nice size too. We also had a large patio. As for the fridges in your rooms, they had 3 Heineken beers and 3 Pitons (the beer they brew on the island), bottled water, juices, and soda everyday. Also, there was an assortment of liquor and wine. Our suite was #59 and it was so convenient to everything! We had dinner at Arizona and it was great. I had the chicken fajitas and my husband had the ribs. Arizona sits right next to the water so we went to walk on the beach after dinner. And yes, we saw/heard the singing cowboy and he was an excellent country singer!

We did get lucky on our trip because the Monday and Wednesday we were going to be there, Sandals was shooting all new pictures for their new brochures that are coming out. So the pool and beach were closed both of those days, but they offered many excursions for free! So we took advantage of that!

Monday, June 9th
Breakfast at the Pavillion is OK. Standard breakfast stuff. They will make you eggs cooked to order, pancakes, etc. There was an assortment of fruit. I read in a past review that Sandals was lacking fresh fruit and that was not the case (watermelon, strawberries, canteloupe, papaya, mango, etc were offered). Sandals offered the Rainforest Canopy Tour for free this day so we went. The zip lining was awesome!!!!!! We highly recommend it!!!!!!! Bring bottles of water with you from your room. The pool was awesome with the swim-up bar, games, and socializing in the afternoon. For dinner we ate at Armando's, which is AWESOME! We ended up going here 3 times. Note* Armando's serves breakfast, cooked upon order so if you get sick of the Pavillion, go up to Armando's on the bluff. The Italian food for dinner was excellent there! The Piano bar is fun and I think every night there was something going on at The Pavillion. Also, the fire show is great at The Pavillion!

Tuesday, June 10th
We had the couples massages in the morning, which were great! A lot of people we met all agreed the massage was one of the best we ever had! The Red Lane Spa is top notch. After the massage they will try to sell you all these products, just say no thanks if you don't want them. We spent the rest of the day by the beach and pool. The water was very calm and crystal clear. There was not a single red flag the whole time we were there. The beach is public, which is a law that St. Lucia has for all the resorts on the island. Every resort must offer public beach access. There will be some people who walk up and down the beach, but they don't really bother you. All the local people we met were very nice. We did find Joe as in Joe Knows Tours on the beach this day! I was so excited when we found him and told him all about all the reviews I had read about him on this website. We booked Thursday for a tour with him of the island. We had dinner at The Pier at the Halcyon. Catch the 6:00 shuttle. We got the 7:00 one and had to wait until 9:00 to be seated, but we just hung out at the bars while we waited and met some really nice people. The Pier was wonderful too. I had the Surf and Turf and my husband had the crab cakes.

Wednesday, June 11th
Sandals was offering the Soufriere Adventure Cruise and the Horse Back riding for free today. We chose the cruise and it was so much fun! You got to see the whole western coastline while cruising along. You get a great view of the Pitons from the cruise. We went to the Sulphur Springs (aka Drive-In Volcano) and this tour takes only about 30 minutes. It is very smelly so 30 minutes was plenty of time to be there! We also went to the Botanical Gardens and Diamond Waterfall which was gorgeous! On the way back you have lunch and stop in Anse Cochon cove for swimming and snorkeling. The cruise makes for a really long day, but well worth it. Bring your sunscreen and hats! For dinner we ate at The Pitons restaurant and was great as well. We were really hungry this night so we ordered almost everything on the menu! It's all inclusive so always order any and everything you see on the menu that you want. They are very accomodating.

Thursday, June 12th
Tour day with Joe!!!! He charges $160 per couple, which is way less than the $225 Sandals charges for the same tour. Also, he used to work for Sandals for 13 years so he knows all their tours and where they take you. Joe knows everyone on the island I think! He picks you up at the security gate at the resort around 9:00. He was AWESOME! He was taking us to Soufriere and he stopped at all these places along the way for photos, gifts, etc. Since he is a local, he tries to stop at local places to help them out. Buy a few necklaces or something to help the people. St. Lucia is a poor country. We were worried that since we went on the Adventure Cruise he was going to take us to the same places, but he didn't! He dropped my husband and I off at The Ladera Resort (where Ophrah stays) while he took the rest of the group to the volcano. We had drinks and took pictures of this lovely resort. He came back to pick us up and took us to a different waterfall and gardens. This waterfall you can play in. Afterwards, we went to a local restaurant for lunch, which was great since it gives you time to enjoy the locals. The last stop was at the Rum Factory where you taste all the different rums made in St. Lucia and then go to the gift shop to purchase them. We got 4 bottles of liquor for $40!!! In the gift shop or other places what we got would have cost $60 or more. Joe is an awesome man, so if you see someone walking the beach on Monday or Tuesday which is when he does, and the man is carrying a board with pictures of places on it and has the best, outgoing attitude, that is Joe. Find him and go on his tour! You will be so happy you did! Tell him Amanda and Tyson said hello and that yes, I did write a review about him on here!

We had dinner at Kimono's with friends we had made that night. We ALL agreed the worst place we ever ate in our lives! Do not expect the regular ginger salad dressing we get here in the states, or the ginger sauce, or even how the food is cooked. It's terrible and in my opinion, I wish we hadn't wasted a night there. There are so many other great restaurants to choose from, pass on this one unless you must go for the experience, and most likely you'll be sorry you went. Afterwards we went to the guest/staff talent show at The Pavillion. All week long the Playmakers will try to get you to sign up for this. It was so funny!

Friday, June 13th
We went to spend the day at The Grande. Its a beautiful resort as well. We had pizza for lunch there and it was fantastic!!!! We went over to Pigeon Island, which is right next to The Grande and you get to it by walking out of the Grande gates, turn left and walk down the road a little ways to the entrance of the fort. Pigeon Island has a lot of history and great views! Its $5 per person. There are a few bars/restaurants within Pigeon Island too if you get hungry. We hiked all the way to the top of Fort Rodney and got some awesome pictures. We spent the afternoon pool side at the Grande. For dinner we had Armando's again and watched the sunset from the bluff pool, which is a must do! Great pics from that too!

Saturday, June 14th
We spent the day at the beach and pool again. We rode the aqua cycle in the ocean and played some pool games. Arizona for lunch (the nachos are yummy!). Dinner at La Toc that night which was fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT let that its called a "French" restaurant scare you off! We both had the filet and it was excellent! I had the shrimp cocktail for an appetizer, shrimp bisque soup, the filet with potatoes, and cream brulee for dessert. The best steak! We almost did not go here b/c I don't like French food, but after hearing people talk about it, we made the reservation, which was at 9:00, and I am so happy we did.

With La Toc and Kimono's you have to make reservations, and definitely make them as soon as you get there. Also since we made some friends they were very accomodating about switching some reservations for us so we could all have dinner together.

After dinner we went back to the room to pack. They will deliver your departure instructions the night before you leave.

Sunday, June 15th
Armando's for breakfast and at 11:30 we had to take the shuttle to the airport. The airport is kind of a hassle. DO NOT go over the 50lbs. rule b/c they will make you step out of line to re-pack and then go back to wait in line all over again, which was not fun b/c just about everyone leaving the resort that Sunday was in line with us and it was long! The airport is small and there is one place to get something to eat, and then good luck finding somewhere to sit.

Overall, the resort grounds were beautiful! The water is clear and turquiose! Everyone was nice at the resort. We loved Neville (playmaker) and Mark (shuttle driver). The rooms were clean. The food was good. We were sad to leave and would love to say we will return to St. Lucia one day. Its a very special place!

• Liked — EVERYTHING!
  • Disliked — NOTHING!
11 Thank daisylove516
Houston
Reviewed 21 June 2008

We just returned from a great vacation at the Sandals Regency St Lucia, from June 14-20th. Overall the resort is fantastic! The grounds were beautiful, our room was nicely updated, food was very good, and everyone was having fun!
Resort itself- grounds and pools were always well kept, clean, and beautiful. We never had trouble finding a lounge chair or two to lay in. We actually travelled with a large group, and never had problems acommodating all of us on the beach, at the pool, or at a meal. It is very spread out, but shuttles run up and down the bluffs every five minutes so no worries.
Room- We stayed in the Beachfront room in the main building in front of one of the gazebos. It was updated, nicely sized, and loved hearing the ocean waves crashing on the shore even with the patio doors shut. Also had regular "American" plugs in the room which was nice. Friends stayed in the upper room in the blue buildings, which had a large patio, but very small room and not updated. Suites on the bluffs were also very nice.
Restuaurants- Pavillion- we ate here a lot, breakfast was fabulous, lunch was good, and dinners were very good here. Always had a nice selection and just wonderful to eat in the open air overlooking the pool and beach. They had live entertainment every night which was a huge bonus.
Arizona- food was always good, pizza is fantastic, but service was always slow, so be prepared.
La Toc- Food was excellent, but service was slow and the a/c must not have been working that day, it was VERY hot and sutffy in there.
Armando's- food was fantastic, atmosphere was wonderful, service was great.
Piton's- Never got to eat here, they stop serving at 9pm, and seemed to always be half empty, yet have a long waiting list to eat there.
Kimono's- food was good, service was good, not as much of a "show" on the hibachi grill as I would have liked
We were there for a friends wedding, which was just beautiful on the beach, and they did a lovely reception in one of the wedding pavilions overlooking the beach and ocean. Service was excellent and the whole evening was made very special for them.
I would recommend the helicopter ride from the far airport to the closer one. The shuttle bus ride was terribly long, and what wonderful views from the helicopter of the island!
I would also recommend trying the diving, lots to see! We did not get a chance to visit the other Sandals resorts, nor do any tours of the island, but hear they were just as wonderful. I would definitely go back and recommend the resort. We liked it so much, we all already booked our next trip to one of their resorts in Turks and Caicos! I hope this helps!

• Liked — Resort was gorgeous, great service, great food, great fun!
  • Disliked — No business center or in room internet service
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
5 Thank deejenna
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!