“Wonderful Honeymoon”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Lexington, Kentucky
“Wonderful Honeymoon”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2008

Just returned from a wonderful honeymoon at Sandals Regency St Lucia. I will try to break this down in sections from "the good" and "the bad". Prior to selecting Sandals, I over analyzed pretty much every website and resort I could find in the Caribbean, basically I had the little voice in my head saying "if I pay this much $, am I getting the most return for it?'...

all together, we spent a little over $8K for our honeymoon, which was June 30 to July 7th...I was initially looking at Antigua, and that is where I read a response saying for that amount of $, there are other "Non-Sandals" resorts which might be better...

after lots of review, we decided that there were too many decisions for the wedding alone, and we would pay the bucks and take our chances with Sandals St Lucia. We booked with a travel agent who recommended the "Romeo & Juliet Penthouse Suite" on the Sunset Bluffs, which incidentally, she had personally stayed in, and showed us very nice photos of the exact room.

The Room: wonderful! Top floor, West view on the balcony which we enjoyed breakfast (mimosas) and sunsets on each day. The bed was fine, the "jacuzzi" tub was a bit too small for 2 people, the shower was huge though. A/C was awesome. THe Bar was stocked well, and surprisingly, we did not need a refil on anything but the Champagne. Very Clean, the maids did a great job every day, about 10 AM, except the last day, and we simply advised the butler, Roland (awesome) and it was taken care of on the spot. upon arrival, we ordered a bottle of Crown Royal and Seagrams 7, both of which were delivered by our other butler Tana (she was excellent as well) the very next morning. One word of advice, CHECK the ALARM clock before you go to bed! the 1st morning it went off at 7AM like a band was playing IN THE ROOM....

The Butlers: Roland & Tana were great. They were readily available, and more than helpful. we oredered lunch at the Bluffs pool several times and they delivered perfectly. We met a great couple on the 1st day, who also had the butler service, and it became a challenge to see who could get the shrimp cocktails sooner! that got a little confusing, one day you could get them, the next day the response was, "we dont offer shrimp cocktails for lunch.." it was more funny than annoying, a simple explanation and we had anything we wanted...they booked snorkeling for us, which was my only complaint, since its supposed to be "unlimited"...turns out that snorkeling is unlimited as long as you RESERVE it, and its only at 8:30/10:30 or 1:30 each day...we did finally get reserved and enjoyed it very much...

The Resort Grounds: excellent, very clean, well maintained. the beach was great, we chose the Regency in anticipation of Golf, but ended up skipping the clubs, and just enjoying the beach/pool. Ironically, the husband of the couple we met wanted to play, so he & I enjoyed a round later in the week and were very impressed with the course.

The Restaurants: there are supposed to be 7 restaurants and 9 bars, or something like that. Some require reservations, and proper attire (slacks, collared shirt, no sandals for men...) others are casual...

Le Toc, the 5* French restaurant we found actually to be the worst. I was exicited to eat there, Tana our butler took the liberty of making reservations for us, even BEFORE we arrived at Sandals, so that was cool...the service was as fast as any in NY that I have seen, very prompt, but the food quality was not that great. Escargot was OK, my wife was not impressed with the vischysoise (cold french soup) her Mahi was "fishy" as well, my lamb was OK, but nothing "stood out" for the Flagship restaurant...

Armando's Italian: Excellent! all the way around, 2 dinners and our last lunch were there, casual, great food, the Antipasta bar is out standing! No reservations needed.

Pitons: great, 2 dinners, the 1st was better, the service was excellent on the 1st visit, the Mahi was out of this world, as were the appitizers. the 2nd visit was very slow service, when my Mahi arrived, it was very dried out, the flavor was still good, but it was overcooked...the other meals were very good at the table.

Kimono's Japanese: we skipped it, we just ate at our local Habachi restaurant before the trip, so we wanted to try other things, our friends ate there and liked it.

Arizona Grill; on the beach, really nice location, but the service was almost non-existent, at least for lunch. we would order, then walk to the bar and get beers, and by the time the order arrived, (with additional beers) we were pretty much ready for another round...one plate arrived in 25 minutes, my wife's plate was 35 mintues...they said it came from a different restaurant...the food was infact good, the Jerk Chicken was awesome...as were the pizza's, but just be ready for a long wait....we did lunch only there.

The Pier at Halcyon: Outstanding. slow service, but the food was simply fantastic. Mahi and Snapper...lots of drinks, wine, dessert bar is awesome.

Activities: I've already mentioned the snorkeling, I was also able to enjoy the Hobie Cats, which were a blast...off site, we did the evening sunset party cruise, again, highly recommended, and the "Joe Know's" tour...just walk the beach and "Joe" will find you..or google him. it was a great time, all day, $80 per person, but be ready to bring more $...you have to pay a few small fees, water fall entrance, volcano tour fee, and buy lunch, (about 15 US per couple for lunch) and of course the Rum Distillery visit...Joe was great and lots of fun and inforation...

Traveling to and from: let's just say that I will NEVER fly American Airlines again...if we go back, I would fly into the small airport at Castries, they have lots of puddle jumpers from San Juan daily...be warned, St Lucia is not that easy to get to, pretty much an all day event, we started at 8 AM at JFK, and finally laned at 9:30 PM on the island, then it's a 1 to 1.5 hour ride to the resort...it makes for a very long 1st day. the trip home was uneventful...we did take the helicopter back to the airport which was totally awesome...

I mentioned we stayed up on "the Bluffs" side of the resort. It was very quiet, and seemed more "adult" to us. We are in our Mid 40's, and like the fact that the Bluffs pool was not very crowded. we walked around the main pool, it was VERY packed, and took quite a long time to get a drink. we didnt stay there at all, the crowd was much younger, and while they all looked like they were having fun, we really enjoyed the quieter side up on the Bluffs...

we never felt concerned about safety, there were a few security guys waling around all the time, when not in the room, all our valuables, (passports, watches, wallets, etc) were locked in the safe.

Cigars: If you smoke'em, BRING YOUR OWN. the gift shop is a rip off for cigars, all they have are Cubans, and the are $18 to $40 each!

other than that, it was a BLAST!

• Liked — All inclusive, eat drink and be merry, and no one picks up the check
  • Disliked — scheduling of the snorkeling
5 Thank RotorDoc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,760)
kellyconn7997
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2008

We decide to go to St. Lucia Sandals Regency for our honeymoon. I mean everything is included, drink, food, and everything else.

When we arrived to Sandals it wasn't a long ride at all from the airport. We flew through Puerto Rico, so it wasn't a bad ride at all. So we arrived and was greeted with towels and a rum punch it was great.

I started exploring the resort and it was so big. The biggest out of the Grande and Halycon.

The food never stops and there is a wide variety at the Regnecy. Lunch's at Arizonas (heart shaped pizzas) and Pavillion very good. Breakfast at Paviliion and Amarmado's very good.

Dinner is great at Pitons, also like Armandos and Pavillion. Kimokos is ok but reserve it as soon as you get there.

The are not that many tours offered through Sandals which was disappointing and they were expensive. But ziplining was totally cool.

The pool is the greatest out of all three Sandals. And I loved the beach too the waves were huge. If you want to do watersports I would head over to the Grande they have waterskiing and jet skiies. Also try to eat at Joesphines and Barefoot By the Seas.

We loved to go up to the Sunset Pool for sunsets. Going to the bluffs is not a hard walk at all but they also have a shuttle going up there all the time.

Drinks were strong loved the Dirty Banana and No pressure.

The entertainment was pretty good too. I loved how the pool was open all the time and the hot tub!! Most resorts do not allow that.

• Liked — The pool and the drinks
  • Disliked — The tour desk lack of help to go other places on the island
7 Thank kellyconn7997
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2008

Let me first start off by saying that I have a lot of time here at work and read virtually all of the reviews for this place and let me tell you some of these people are crazy. My wife and I took our honeymoon there from 6/29-7/5 and it was everything i could have wanted and more. Our room was great, they re-stock the pop and water everyday. As for the waiters and watresses, they dont make tips, so dont expect them to bend over and if you simply say please and thank you like a normal human would, they gladly return the favor. I think that most of the bad reviews on here are from people who want to be waited on hand and foot and for everyone to bow to them and I say if u want that, then get a butler, otherwise don't [--].

Joe Knows Tours is also the best tour on the island. Sandals made a mistake not taking him up on his offer to tour for them and he's making them pay with his great service and smile! Thanks Joe from Dan and Sara.

Go with an open mind, eat till you can't eat anymore, drink till you can't drink anymore and have a great time, cuz you're crazy if you don't!

• Liked — The sun, the food, did i say the food, and Joe Knows tours
  • Disliked — having to go home
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank StudandSunshine
Hilliard, OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2008

We had a great time on our vacation. We were there for our 10 year anniversary. The room was great. The food was good. Breakfast and lunch at Armondos is a must. The main parvilion is buffet style for breakfast and lunch but Armondos is a menu plus a wonderful view. The main pool is fun but if you want some quite then go to the pool by Armondos.
Some things I wish I knew. If you book your excursions online they are less expensive then when you get there. When you go through customs and men are saying "Sandels" and want to take your bags don't let them. Just go through the doors and the bus is right outside. If you give them your bags they will walk 50 ft with them and want a tip.
La Toc was a nice dinner, Armondos was excellent and Kiminos was ok. We didn't go to Pitons so I have no info. It seem that all the people from the other resorts were coming to the Regency for dinner. It seem to have the best food. The Grand has a really nice pool and heard a fun night life. Might want to visit but it takes alittle while to get there.
I went on the zip line tour and it was fun but it took about an hour to get there. My husband did deep sea fishing and had fun but only caught a buzz. We also went on the little big cruise. It was pretty fun.
The play makers were really fun. Shout out for Glinda who we had a great time with.
The drinks were great and plentiful. Sometimes service was slow but no pressure no problem. Just sit back relax and you will have a great time.

• Liked — The room was great and the views were beautiful
  • Disliked — Saw some rats
7 Thank AandEHilliard_OH
wellhereswhatithink
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2008

Wow!-The wheels touched down in St. Lucia and that's all i could say! My stomach was fluttering out of excitement, I was getting married! We made plans to stay at the Regency and i originally planned on getting married there as well, but the only time they had available was 11:00 am (you may see my father's post (emptynesterNY-well this is my perpective) We decided to take the helicopter from the airport instead of the shuttle-which was an amazing experience! If you have never done it it was just amazing to go through the process of simply riding in a helicopter. The shuttle ride wasn't too bad because we took it on the way home. The only irritating thing about the shuttle is that when you are leaving, Sandals puts everyone leaving that day on the same shuttle group. We were leaving at 3:30pm and we were assigned the shuttle at 11:30am. Since we were at the southern airport (UVF-Hewanorra) it took us about an hour/ hour and a half to get there and then we sat there for 2 hours (so that everyone got there in time I suppose).

The arrival:
After the helicopter and getting our bags (which was very well orchestrated on the way there AND on the way back), we were greeted with champagne and cold cloths and proceeded to the check out process. This was interesting as they herd you into one big room and do a big group check-in (where there is rum punch and little snacks). Then after that we were on our way to our room. A beautiful room with a king sized bed and coffee table, two chairs, flat screen TV, a jacuzzi tub, and a pool/ocean view-pretty standard-no butler or personal pool). Rooms were very clean and the people were so so so very nice! That was my favorite Sandals aspect----the friendliness! Everyone was just so willing to help or make your day by giving you a smile or greeting everywhere you went-certainly one happy and fun island! The SoCa culture of being happy and dancing with a twist or Rum was so fun to be a part of! The restaurants were decent, nothing out of this world but definitely good! I was there for 12 days and pretty much got a taste of everything! Our overall favorite restaurant was at the Halcyon-The Pier. Being a vegetarian I found it easy to find things to eat and they were very accommodating to telling me what was veg, asking the chef etc. The pool at the regency was by far the best and I heard it is the biggest on the island. The swim up pool bars were a great bonus and the bartenders will make you anything you want. The ocean was calm when we were there with our family for the first week and then for the following week, the red flag was put up and I was told this is normal beach waves (HUGE-due to the fact that it was the hurricane season and that the beach at the Regency is where the Caribbean meets the Atlantic Ocean)-we must have had it easy the week family was there (which turned out perfect). If you want a calm beach you can go to the Grande but the Grande during the day is really busy and a lot of people come up to you and try to sell you stuff (and they don't have the best pool-but they do have a huge pool bar). The service at restaurants at might can be a little slow (we did not experience this, but other members of my family did-you can be at the same restaurant one table over and have a great time and the other table could be terrible service-it all depends. Sometimes you have to ask twice for things, but once again I never experienced this, but other members of my family did. One little thing that bothered me was since we were so close to the pool (which is where the entertainment is at night) if you wanted to go to bed without going to the entertainment (or bed before 11:15pm) you still had to HEAR the entertainment. This was NOT a problem in rooms that did not have a window/porch facing the pool area.

The Pavilion was beautiful, opens right up to the ocean and pool and has great food! We went there every morning for breakfast, very good selection, quick, and easy!

Overall it was a great place, and a lot of fun. I would go back in a heart beat.

The wedding:
The weddings I saw there seemed nice, quick, and quiet. If you are looking for a quickie style private beach version of a vegas wedding it seems perfect. We opted for using an outside source---IF YOU ARE GETTING MARRIED ON THE ISLAND and want a private day to yourself with a personal photographer and videographer dedicated to you and everything you want to do without rules or limits...go with RAY from TROPICAL ISLE weddings-not only is he wonderful, funny, and great to deal with-he makes your day all about you and a dream come true. BEST of all you don't have to do anything, he says just come dressed and ready and he takes care of everything!! It was beautiful (see my review on Tropical Isle weddings Karay Media). THANKS RAY!!

GO, you will love it, have a great time, and just have an open mind...don't stress if you don't get your coffee the first time you ask and you will have the best time of your life-basically, don't sweat the small stuff! It was amazing and wonderful-as they say on the island-----"NO PRESSURE NO PROBLEM!! "

feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns!
ONE LOVE!!

• Liked — Sites, friendliness, fun, romantic
  • Disliked — entertainment at night was loud (I picked a room too close, but it had a good view so i dealt with it)
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank wellhereswhatithink
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2008

We stayed at the Regency from 6/16-6/25 and had an amazing time. Of course you read a few negative reviews, but these people must have the wrong kind of expectations or are just difficult to please. When we arrived our initial room was one of the older rooms, so we went to the front desk to see if we could change. The next day Janine had us in one of the remoldeled rooms which was amazing (and an upgrade). I will give you a brief bullet point of the things we enjoyed the most and some tips.

-call before you go to set up dinner reservations at La Toc/Kimonos
-do the zip line tour and and try to request Gregg as the tour guide...makes the trip very interesting w/ knowledge of the island. use your camera to video going down the line
-Deap sea fishing was a lot of fun even though we didn't catch much-the best rum punch
-do the catamaran tour instead of the land & sea-same stops minus the long bus ride
-We went to a local restuarant one night and it is probably one of the best nights. We went to Rainforest Hideaway in Marigot Bay and you take a taxi to get there and then a very short water taxi to get to the restaurant. Food was amazing
-Take a taxi (not the sandals tour) to the market in Castries. They have lots of gifts and you can negotiate-very safe
- At the Grand go to Pigeon island ($5) and hike up to Fort Rodney- Its not as far as it looks and you just walk down the beach and through the parking lot to the entrance-great views
-Sign up for the Pirate dinner on Thursday-very good
-our only regreat was not going the the Friday night street party in Anse La Raye (it was raining). we heard it was a lot of fun.

All the food we was very good (its not 5 star) and our favorites were the Piton, Arizonas, Mario's, Pavillion, Barefoot by the Sea. Bayside @ the Grande had the best breakfast

The staff was very friendly and we never came across anyone with a bad attitude. They always seemed to go out of their way to help.

The pool was a lot of fun and the drinks were very good. It does take some getting used to drinking warmer beer but the Piton is good (you have to try it ice cold out of a bottle- much better). Try the Dirty Banana

We liked this hotel better than the other 3 with the Grande coming in a close second. The Halcyon looked very boring

If you have any questions, please send me a message

• Liked — The newly renovated room and the pool area
  • Disliked — Our first room was old (but they moved us)
5 Thank orange44
Guelph
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2008

We visited Sandals Regency from June 15th to June 22nd for our Honeymoon. While it was a good stay, I wouldn't say it was Amazing.
First, let me just say that If you are on your Honeymoon, DON'T EXPECT SPECIAL TREATMENT....EVERYONE is on their Honeymoon. If you want "extra's", be ready to pay A LOT for them. For example, the Candle lit dinner on the beach is an extra $250.00, Couple's massage is $300.00.

Our trip began with The resort giving us the wrong Room key. We had to wait outside our room in the Heat for at least 25 minutes until someone returned and told us they were taking us to another room, since they couldn't find the correct Key.

ROOM:
I was definitely a little dissapointed once we did get in to our actual room. It was VERY outdated, and not like what the pictures look like on the websites, that is for sure. Decore, paint and TV, definitely quite Old. I would recommend specifically Asking for an updated room, don't just assume you will get one.

RESTAURANTS:
We overall did enjoy the food and restaurants. We found The Food At LA TOC to be the best, but be sure to make reservations Early in your stay if you want to get in, I would also CONFIRM them, as they somehow lost our reservation for one night, but they did manage to squeeze us back in but not until 9pm.
Armando's and the Piton's were good, we liked the atmosphere at both of them as well. KIMONO's was a good experience, BUT the food was nothing special.
Arizona's Bar and Grill was Great for snack type foods, such as Nacho's, burgers, pizza...HOWEVER there is a Sewage Smell in the far part of that restaurant that was Discusting. That is definitely one Valid Complaint that I have. There were a few parts of the resort with this smell....IT WAS NOT GOOD.

SERVICE: We found the service to be good.Workers are pleasant for the most part. THE MEN ARE FAR MORE PLEASANT then the Women though. At each restaurant/bar we went to, I would always hope we would get a man serving us. I don't think that the women mean to be rude, it is just their personality.

DRINKS: Were great! Not sure what some people were talking about them being weak. They also have a GREAT selection of liquor. My husband loves to drink Scotch and whiskeys and things like that, and they had a great selection of Premium Brands.

BEACH/POOLS: I loved the beach. Yes, it is a little bit more rough than other parts of the world I've visited, but NOTHING that prevents you from going swimming. It was nice and warm and definitely large enough. The main pool is huge but also crowded. Go up to Armando's pool if you want a more relaxing Atmosphere. The pool is gorgeous, However, there was A Problem with baby flies in that pool one day and it was Horrible. There were Thousands of them floating around. It was gross, and I refused to go in it.. They would get all over your body and in you hair. The staff didnt even seem to notice. Not sure why.
I have One Complaint with both the pool and beach. There are not enough Umbrella's At All! You would have to be out there reserving an umbrella by the pool by 9am if you wanted to get one. and The Beach didnt have any at all!!! They had a few of these little clam things that you could sit under, but they had NO Air flow at all, and it was impossible to stay in them. They REALLY need to get some umbrella's on the beach.

RESORT: Was beautiful. It was very well kept and there are Gazebo's and cabana's and hammocks that you can go relax in all over the resort.

ISLAND: Is Absolutley Incredible. The most BEAUTIFUL place I've ever been to.

OVERALL: I realize my review has mixed opinions. To sum it all up, it was a very good vacation, with a few negatives. It defintely isn't perfect, but it was good, and I would recommend going but DO NOT EXPECT PERFECTION. I realize that my expectations may have been a little high, but we are overall happy with our honeymoon.

4 Thank bbdoll100
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!