“Beautiful setting, wonderful service”

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting, wonderful service”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

As with all hotels none are perfect but at the end of the day we had a lovely, memorable holiday.
I'll start with the positives. We stayed in a suite up on the bluff with the butler service and I cannot emphasize enough other than the cost there is no downside to having a butler. They are completely unobtrusive and take all the "stress" out of your stay. Booking restaurants, organising trips, reserving sunbeds around the pool, supplying a cool box full of refreshments if you can't be bothered to shift your carcass the 20' to the bar and plenty more.
Overall the food in all restaurants is good, I particularly liked La Toc and Kimonos. We also ate at Kelly's and Gordon's at the other hotels which were both worth the effort.
The overall level of service throughout the hotel is excellent, I cannot think of a single occasion in my two weeks where a member of staff was not courteous and friendly.
I was particularly looking forward to the scuba diving and was not disappointed. Other than the 15 minutes bus trip to the Sandals dive centre I enjoyed all the dives. The dive staff were very professional and safety conscious but still kept the element of fun very much at the forefront of the experience.
As for the negatives. As a middle aged British couple we were outnumbered by about 20-1 to young, honeymooning American newly weds and as a consequence the daytime atmosphere and the evening entertainment reflected the majority demographic. So if you're expecting a sophisticated, quiet holiday you may be disappointed. However there are plenty of areas/bars to escape to for a bit of respite.
The selection of water sports at La Toc is quite limited and not what I was expecting. They could certainly do with increasing the facilities to bring them in line to those available at The Grand.
Top Tip! If staying up on the bluff where the rooms are surrounded by gardens ear plugs at night are an absolute must. The insect chorus is deafening and does not reach it's climax until about 4am

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stephen0654

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,833)
Toronto canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This was our first visit to a Sandals resort for our 10th anniversary, and WHAT AN AMAZING TIME, we are truly Sandals bound again soon, Our experience was made by our awesome Butlers, TARRA and MICHELLE, they listened to our every need and request and made it happen, I cannot believe how friendly the staff ever were, this was A PLUS PLUS, for us, and we were not sure if Butler service was worth it, IT IS TARRA our butler always had a smile and was there to please, SHE TRULY IS THE BEST, Michelle, our other Butler, again, Made everything happen with a smile, and was there to please, I AGAIN CAN'T SAY ENOUGH OF THESE TWO BUTLERS, they truly made our stay, and made Sandals, OUR #1 CHOICE, The Sandals experience will always be remembered by the resort as a whole, AAplus, but OUR BUTLERS MADE OUR HOLIDAY , THANK YOU TARRA AND MICHELLE, YOU GIRLS ARE THE BEST, Kim & Gary

Room Tip: must do butler service
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Thank you for your review, Kim and Gary!
We are delighted that you had an amazing time at Sandals La Toc and that your 10th year Anniversary went perfectly. I will pass along your kind remarks to our team. They will be so pleased to know that they made your trip such an unforgettable one!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Brentwood, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We recently returned from a 29th Anniversary trip at Sandals La Toc in ST Lucia and had high expectations given this was our fourth visit to a Sandals property but the first to this one and I feel pretty confident in saying that we will never book another one. To be fair I am going to start with the good things about the resort. The food was pretty good, I really enjoyed the spa, the grounds are pretty and our ocean front room was awesome because we could hear the ocean all night from our downstairs bedroom and our butlers were sweet and helpful. Now the bad-- the resort is a little worse for wear, the towels (when you can get them) are threadbare and so were the robes in the spa. Our bedroom had a nice little vanity with a mirror for makeup that included a hair dryer but absolutely no outlet and none in the bathroom so I had to sit on the floor and dry my hair. We had a door in our lower level that was supposed to give us beach access but the lock was broke and it took three days of complaints to get that fixed. Our room was always cleaned very well but twice we had no towels and had to call. I found out later that the housekeeper does not handle the towels, someone does that later and apparently we were skipped twice. One time when we called for towels, the ones that were delivered were damp so we were not even sure if they were clean. This also happened when we asked for towels on the beach. Speaking of the beach towels, we had some damp ones that were in such bad shape they should have been in the rag box!! Service was extremely hit or miss. We would have one waiter/waitress that would be so nice, friendly and hardworking and then the very next one would act like it was a burden just to wait on you. Sometimes your food would come in a timely manner and other times you could wait an hour to be served with no apologies or explanations what so ever. I had called ahead to the butler service to make arrangements for activities and not one thing I arranged turned out to be right. We had a spa credit with our reservations and when I called I was told that I should go ahead and make a reservations that would be held with a credit card. When I got to the spa, they informed me that I had prepaid for that service and my spa credit could not be applied to my service. We also booked a tour through them ahead and when we went on it we were not on the tour that was described to us, we ended up on a tour that was designed for old people and did not get to see anything that we thought we were going to see. Finally, we asked to see a manager and after waiting for about 45 minutes, some man showed up that was clearly NOT the manager but claimed he was and we told him our troubles but, of course, nothing improved. We were invited to a managers cocktail party and dinner because we were returning guests and at the cocktail party (with the manager and general manager in attendance) and there were no napkins for the appetizers and drinks and no limes/ lemons for the cocktails. Wouldn't you think the two attending managers would have noticed that and sent someone for those things. NO, they were too busy glad handing "certain" guests and trying to get everyone to go ahead and book their next vacation at Sandals. And the person we were told was the manager when we complained was no where to be seen at the "managers cocktail party". Frankly, I blame all of these problems on poor management. We also noticed that if you did not have a butler (which we did) you could forget about getting into the two restaurants on the property that required reservations that were very good. I would think twice before booking a vacation at this resort and let me say, before this we loved our previous visits to Sandals.

Room Tip: Without a butler category room your activities would be very limited at this resort. Most of the ou...
4 Thank europelover0128
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Hello and thank you for taking the time to write a review of Sandals La Toc.
We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations for service and quality. Being a former guest of Sandals, you are well aware of the high standards we set for our resorts and staff and I apologize that your recent stay was not indicative of the norm. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.

We strive to meet our motto: Luxury All-Inclusive Vacations for Two People in Love. We are in a constant state of evolving our resorts and updating our amenities so I will be sure to send your feedback to the relevant departments.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I would love to rate the hotel higher but I just can't. I didn't fall in love with the hotel nor Sandals. We just returned from our honeymoon and while we had a fantastic time, it's not because of Sandals La Toc per se.

We arrived a little late due to lost luggage (no fault of Sandals). The reception area was packed but the staff immediately greeted us with drinks and helped us feel better about our luggage situation. Check in at the Butlers Lounge was super quick and our wonderful butler Christus got us straight to our room. He had taken the liberty of making dinner reservations at Kimonos and La Toc before we arrived which was good as we heard how difficult getting reservations can be. Since my husband's luggage didn't make it he was very helpful in trying to help us resolve the issues for the first night by accompanying us to the gift shop and then he took us straight to dinner. He saved our first night from being the nightmare it started out as.

The next morning we met our butler Garvey who was equally as accommodating as Christus. They are a great team. We called on them mostly for guidance and advice which helped to make our trip enjoyable. They made sure our rides were arranged for our tours and took care of all of the details one may find frustrating while on vacation. Navigating the hotel and figuring out who to call for what can be daunting so it was great to just call one of them because they figured everything out for us which led to a stress free honeymoon.

I agree with most of the reviews on here about the property though. The food is average, at best. I'm not even a foodie so I'm easy to please and a really good meal was few and far between. I wasn't as concerned about the portion sizes, especially because you can order more, so I'm not sure why people keep complaining about that. The property could use a serious renovation and not a simple facelift. My entire spigot came completely out of the wall which had to be repaired. No biggie because they fixed it but it's a mere sign of aging. I was eaten alive by mosquitoes no matter how much Repel I sprayed on so I'm not sure if they weren't simply in the room with us as I didn't go out much at night at all. There was also a HUGE cockroach on the floor by the bathroom one night which grossed me out. There is so much vegetation in the area that I'm not surprised by it but still. Gross.

I stay at many hotels and resorts through both personal and business travel. My expectations are usually in line with what I pay so I expected a bit more of La Toc. I would definitely return to the island one day but not to La Toc. I may try another Sandals at some point down the road but since we have other parts of the world we want to see it may be many years before we return to the Carribean altogether.

Room Tip: Ask for Christus or Garvey if you get to choose your butlers. These guys made the stay much more enj...
3 Thank MDub1and2
Thank you for your review.
We were pleased that our staff was able to make your stay a pleasant one and were able to assist you in any way that they could. However, we regret to hear that your stay at Sandals La Toc did not meet all of your expectations. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our luxurious accommodations. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.
Insects and pests are indigenous to the Caribbean and the tropical climate makes us susceptible to their intrusion. Every effort is made to minimize their presence on property through our continuous pest control program. Notwithstanding, there will be times when they find their way inside.
I will be sending your concerns to our resort management team for further evaluation and action as needed. We hope to welcome you back to one of our other properties in the future for a more enjoyable visit.
Versailles, Kentucky
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This was our first visit to an all-inclusive and first Sandals, We booked a Honeymoon Beachfront. On arrival, there is an "orientation" which actually is a way to keep you entertained until they get your rooms worked out. We traveled with another couple who also tried to get a Beachfront at booking but couldn't and was told to ask for upgrade upon arrival( Sandals is supposed to give preference to returnees which they were). After traveling for 12 hours, our friends were given an "up-grade" and ushered to their room. We were told to wait for the manager and about 30 minutes later, Martina came to give us the news. Our room type was unavailable and, like that, we were "downgraded". We were told we could get our room the NEXT night. Since we were only staying 4 nights...who wants to move! After MUCH debate and Martina finally admitting they "OVERBOOKED", we agreed to look at the room which was an oceanview (#703) with a french balcony. The view was breathtaking and room was nice. Jacuzzi tub, mini-fridge stocked with non-alcoholic drinks. The King bed is HIGH so short or infirmed persons, beware! Once, the elevator was being worked on and we had to walk down 7 flights! Not good for cardiac patients.

Our original resort cost was around $2,100 for 2 persons for 4 nights. Martina adjusted our bill down by $550. Turns out this was a credit so anything we did that cost money at the resort (spa, tours) was offset. The last day, we still had $96 credit and they wanted me to spend it as opposed to crediting the Credit card. Since I had already shopped, there was no more room to buy! After much debate, they finally credited the remaining amount. Martina did offer free wi-fi for the trip ($60 value) but was little help considering it was "down" most of trip. Martina is smooth...handles conflict well and is a great rep for Sandals. She did go out of her way to see the rest of the trip was better.

I think the way you rate this resort will reflect your age and your traveling experiences. Younger age group with little experience abroad may rate higher. The food is acceptable (breakfast best) with La Toc French Restaurant being the best. After booking 3 days in advance, we still could only get a 9:30 pm seating there. Thanks, to Martina, she got us in at 6:30. Service was very good, although they forgot to bring our escargot. Note, there was a line to get in and only 1/2 tables full at 6:30 for about the 1.5 hours we were there! Cricketeers and Pitons were good. Armando's service was HORRID. We couldn't even get someone to get us coffee (but they have the best salad bar). This is a huge resort and if walking is an issue, make arrangements to be shuttled by a golf cart. WHY didn't they tell us this in "orientation"?

Overall, the service was SLOW due to understaffing. House wine is Beringer which was ok. But I preferred the wines that had to be purchased. Mixed drinks generally weak and top shelf brands scattered throughout the resort. You could not get an after-dinner Port wine in a restaurant but could get it at a bar! Was also surprised NO room service/bar service IN the Room we had.

Pool side seats hard to find due to people "saving" them and not using. Georgie-Porge, pool side waiter was the bomb but over-extended. It seems a Butler room would be the way to go. Our spa experience was great. There are private showers and lockers with keys. Pricey massage ($130/50 min) but was great. TOURS: All-day catamaran to the Pitons was great! Snorkling waters aren't that brilliant. Had a lunch at a wonderful local restaurant. The volcano was disappointing. Over all, probably won't do another Sandals but the local people are nice, weather tropical/rainforest so it was a win!

Room Tip: If walking is an issue....get a low room. Elevators were unreliable. FRENCH balcony is now a real...
3 Thank Moreheadtraveler
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Thank you for your review.
We are happy that you enjoyed so much of your stay at Sandals La Toc and that you had a good time exploring more of this beautiful island.
Nonetheless, we realize that anything less than perfect leaves room for improvement and I apologize if we were unable to meet all of your expectations. Your feedback assists us in identifying areas that we may need to fine-tune and I will be sending your concerns on to the resort management team for immediate evaluation.
We look forward to welcoming you back one day and we would be most grateful to be given another opportunity to present you with the true Sandals experience.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I would not recommend to anyone to stay at this resort! Our first night of our honeymoon we were "upgraded" to a nicer room with a walk out and a view of the ocean. When we called the next morning to find out if we could stay in the room or even move to another room like that we were treated very coldly and short and snippy. SInce we couldn't stay in the room, we were going to ask what we needed to do for checking out of that room into our other room and were hung up on. So, we took all of our things to the front desk and were told we were supposed to have left them in our room, which we were never once told that. Our new room wasn't ready by the 11 am check out time so we had to wander around with no way to get into our room to get ready for the beach until after 2 pm. We ended up sitting in the lobby waiting. We spoke to one of the managers several times to see if we could get in the room sooner, but the only response we recieved was to grab a drink and relax. Our second room was not as nice as the first but still fairly nice. However, the air conditioner only worked part of the time. We had several days where the cleaning staff came in and took all of the used towels and then didn't replace them for long periods of time, one night they did not replace them and we had to call the front desk to get replacements. We waited about 30 mins and had to call again and offered to come down to get the items we needed as it was very late and we were tired, after another 20-30 mins we finally received what we requested.
The food was not what we expected. There was one dessert that we enjoyed but everything else did not come close to meet expectations. The MINIMUM wait for food and ALL dinning options was closer to TWO HOURS. Food portions are extremely small and we had to order more options just to get filled up.
The spa was great! We enjoyed a nice, private couples massage in the facility. It was amazing! Very relaxing. We enjoyed that the most on our trip. The views are amazing. The island is beautiful! The Joe Knows tour was so much fun and allowed you to see and do a lot on the island. We even got to see dolphins, went snorkeling, got a volcanic mud bath at the volcano, rinsed off in the hot sulphur springs (however my swim suit was ruined from the mud), got to see a gorgeous waterfall, had a creole lunch (I did not enjoy) and a nice boat ride back with some swimming in a cove. The horseback riding excursion was also fun.
I would not recommend spending that amount of money for a lackluster experience, especially on your honeymoon. We had a great time, but there were enough little things that added up to a not stellar experience. We will not be staying at any sandals resorts in the future!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tvco
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
We regret to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations. Because of that, please accept my apologies. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process. Therefore, your comments have been passed on to the relevant departments for immediate evaluation and action as needed.
Houston, Texas, United States
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Property not well kept. Needs maintenance badly - and not just painting over the mess... I mean, actually renovate. Terrible value for the price we paid. The bathroom was tiny. Everytime we wanted to eat, it took forever. Portions are very small... its all inclusive, but they're only going to feed you the bare minimum. Service is slow - no one is in a hurry to do things for you. The mixed drinks at the pool bar have close to 0 alcohol in them... way to save money, Sandals. The food is all American-ized. Hamburgers, Pizza, and Japanese Hibachi. I didn't get to try and authentic St. Lucian cuisine, which was SO disappointing.

I do not recommend this property, and since it was my first Sandals experience, I am wary of booking a Sandals resort ever again. We left Sandals after 6 nights and went to stay at another resort on the other side of the island. We stayed there 2 nights. The other resort was a privately owned property. It out-shined Sandals in every category. I am disappointed I spent most of my time and money at Sandals, instead of this other much nicer, yet less expensive resort.

One more thing- they have stray cats that the staff allow to wonder around the property... in your room, in the restaurants, around the pools... disgusting.

Room Tip: Don't go, first of all. But if you do go, don't upgrade to the bigger suites or the butler s...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Katy G
Thank you for your review, Katy.
We regret to hear that we did not meet your expectations for service and quality. We have many guests who feel the direct opposite and have boasted of our luxurious accommodations. As hoteliers we realize that there is always room for improvement and feedback is crucial in this process so we thank you for your review.
If during your stay with us something does not meet your standards, we encourage our guests to inform one of our staff members or Guest Services Department. All of our team members are always willing to work with you to make sure you walk away feeling like your stay was money well spent.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!