“Our Wonderful Honeymoon at Sandals La Toc”

Sandals Regency La Toc
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We arrived at Sandals La Toc On 11/14/2013 and had a very warm greeting right out of our vehicle, then we were showed to the Concierge Lounge where our greeting there was even more warming and inviting. La Toc was very clean and the ENTIRE staff was warm and friendly and very personable and always willing to help or see if we needed anything (and when we did need something it was sent to us right away) We stayed in the honeymoon beachfront walkout room (room 156) this room had an amazing view and was close to everything! We want send out a great big HUG and THANK-YOU to all the staff and a special thanks to Ron, Alvin, John and all the other Concierge, welcome and playmaker staff, with a VERY, VERY SPECIAL THANKS TO OTYLLIA AND GLENDA, those two made everything so perfect and they were so very polite, pleasant, friendly and warm and made us feel like family.... like we were at home.
Thanks so very much to all of you who made our honeymoon very special.

On another note, we are getting ready to book a family vacation (wish it could be there but you don't have a Beaches .... Yet...So we are going to BEACHES NEGRIL) Anyway, we were a little disappointed to find out that even though this will be our 4th trip to a Sandals resort, we are only getting the normal discounts that everyone else gets and a $266 discount from our last trip (I couldn't believe that this was all we were getting for all the money we have spent, so we decided to downgrade our room (we are taking our two teenagers and were going to get a connecting room but instead we are getting a room with one bed and a pull out double bed, soooooo sad) but we are still going to it will just be a little (ok a lot ) crowded but we will make it work.....

Again. Thank-you all for making our HONEYMOON the best it could possibly be and with lots of memories!!!!!

Room Tip: Get the beachfront walkout room they have wonderful views.....
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (7,400)

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Get ready--this is going to be long, but I hope it proves to be helpful! We flew from Indianapolis. My husband and I went there to celebrate our 10th anniversary. We're both in our late 30s. We have friends who celebrated their honeymoon there 3 weeks before us, and her review (MissyD) is posted below. They DID get the butler service, so had a slightly different experience.

1) When you land in St. Lucia, do NOT let any of the men in the red caps take your luggage. It's a joke. They work for the airport (not SAndals) and essentially take your luggage, and move it about 20 feet to the Sandals lounge area then ask (yes, you read that right--outright ASK) for a tip. Had we known that was all he was going to do, I would have said forget it. We were able to avoid the red hat men on the return trip to the airport!

2) The "shuttles" that take you from the airport to the resort property are old, dirty, vans. For this being my first impression of things--I was highly dissappointed. Especially since you are stuck in that van for just over an hour. Yes---La Toc is about an hour drive from the airport. The roads are well paved but VERY curvy and you go up and down several times. I knew this--and did take a Dramimine. If you get at all motion sick--take one!!

3) Check in was kind of a cluster. Especially if you have to check in with a large group. And I had no idea the resort was SO spread out. From the time we arrived @ the resort until we were shuttled up to our room, it was probably 30 min. At least they do offer a glass of chilled champagne.

4) We stayed in room #34. It was an Emrerald Ocean Front Suite with a sundeck. Now. When I saw the pics and hear the word "suite" I was thinking the room would be MUCH larger than it was. We walked in, and the room was essentially a bedroom--the king-szied bed took up most of the space. No additional sitting area. The bathroom is very small, with the sink taking up most of the vanity space. The room overall seemed very outdated. The balcony was nice--but although we had an ocean view--we were not ocean front. We were 1 story up, and had a street in between us and the ocean. But, it was a beautiful view and you could easily hear the ocean waves when the door was open. Like another poster, I was also annoyed at the outlet situation--there was one outlet in the bathroom that didn't accomodate my hairdryer. I had to use an outlet in the main room. For as little time as we did spend in the room, it ended up being fine.

4) I was told to make dinner reservations early. The dining desk is only open 8-12 every day. So when we arrived Sunday night, it was too late. I headed over around 10:30 the next morning and was HIGHLY dissapointed--the next opening for La Toc was Saturday, 8pm. That was 5 days later and we would be GONE already. Seriously? The other reservation requiring restaurant, Kimonos, had their next opening at 9pm on Friday. We took it, but again--highly dissapointed we had to wait all week?

5) The towel on the chair situation is ridiculous. We went down to the main pool around 9am on our first morning, and almost every single chair was taken. Many of the chairs have towels on them with fancy swans, or room numbers. These are all butler-reserved chairs. So, people are not even there. It seemed insane my husband would wake up at 6:30 every morning the rest of the week and go reserve chairs for us then come back to the room. And I also agree--the condition of the towels was kind of gross. Bleach stains, holes. Not every towel I got was like that, but some were really nasty!

6) The main pool bartender, Miguel is the bomb. He's quick and we never had to wait long for drinks. The alcohol choices are all well drinks (only a few premium liquors) but was dissappointed that the only beer choices were the local brew--Piton (which was disgusting) or Heiniken. I drank many Kiss Kiss and Rum Punches all week. The frozen drinks at the pool bar are good too--as they are handmade every time--not a machine.

7) Food. We ate breakfast every morning @ the Pavillion. It was just easier. It's buffet style. I do have to say though--the fly situation is disgusting. I was constantly swatting away flies from my body and food. I realize since it's open-air, it's a little hard to control, but there HAS to be something more they can do. The food was pretty good. Typical breakfast foods, and the omelet guy--Kirton was awesome. He had 6 omelets going at once! The line moves fast. The food everywhere else was good too. The only dinner we were dissappointed in was Armandos. My salmon was overcooked and had the consistency of a pork chop. But the antipasti bar at Armandos was really good. The best meal we ate was probably Kimonos. I will also say--initially it was a little hard to adapt to their "slower" way of life---meaning, service is not like it is here in the US. If you go to sit down anywhere, expect 20-30 min between courses! Lunch was usually an hour+ affair at Neptunes. Overall, I would give the food a 4/5. Portions ARE small--so don't feel bad about ordering apps with every meal if you like larger portions. It was much better than our last all inclusive dining experience in Jamaica. Again, it was just highly dissapointing we could not get into La Toc at all.

8) The photographers and spa people at the pool. They got a little annoying. I don't need a photo of me laying on a floatie with my legs kicked up in the air, thank you. I never even went to look at the photos that were taken. The spa ladies were not as annoying, but I did get a little sick of saying "no thank you" every time I walked by them, or they walked past us.

9) Excusrion. We did the "Joe Knows" tour. OMG. I have to give that 5+ stars. We had SO much fun. You have to be in the mood for serious fun. The boat blasts rap music (loud!) most of the day, and it's a giant party. We had a boat with JR and BK as our hosts. You are on the boat for a while...then go to the mud baths (bring a suit you are not afraid to ruin!!), then the waterfalls...then lunch...then back on the boat for snorkeling and just general party time. We balked originally at the $125/person cost, but it was SO worth it. So much fun. We met some really fun people too.

10)Nightlife. You can be as outgoing or as introvert as you want. One night we went to Herbies, the piano bar. It was packed and a lot of fun. They sing and then a DJ comes in from 11-1. We did that one night, and then the others just kind of kept things chill. They have some fun activities in the pavillion (band, name that tune, etc). Same thing with the pool during the day. There are young honeymooners there, but there were just as many couples in their 50's there too. It's an eclectic mix. Like I said--we're in our late 30s and felt fine there with the other clientele.

11) Overall the property is beautiful. I didn't know it was as spread out as it was, so depending on where your room is, you may have a few min walk to dinners, pool, etc. I wish they would ban smoking from the pool. It was really annoying to have someone sitting in the chair next to me, several days, and puffing away. I'm not saying it has to be a no-smoking resort, but I don't need it next to me, thank you.

Would I go back? Maybe. Would I spend more $$ on butler service? No way. Not worth the extra $$ to have someone reserve my chair and make my dinner reservations. I just felt like we spent a LOT of money ($4500 for a 6 day/5 night trip!!) and I should not have as many complaints. Nothing that required me to speak with a manager or anything, but that was a LOT of money to spend and only be in the 3.5-4/5 star rating.

1  Thank 4HoosierGirl98
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This is a great resort, right on a wonderful private beach, no mithering from vendors. There is a 9 hole golf course in the resort as well as the usual entertainment. The best on site restaurant is the french La Toc which you should book as soon as you arrive as it gets very popular. You also need to book the tepanyaki restaurant for the same reasons. Take breakfast at Armandos with a beautiful view of the sea in front of you. It is up the hill but request a golf buggy ride if you don't fancy the walk. The service was not great in thye main Pavillion restaurant but we used the other on site restuarants. You can also use the restaurants of the other hotels, the complimentary bus service is every two hours and takes 15 mins to get to the Halcyon Hotel -try the Kelly Quayside restaurant - great service, and circa 30 minutes to the Grande Hotel - both well worth at least one visit. We also took a walk around the beautiful grounds opf La Toc with the head gardener Neville, who was very knowledgeable and informative. He picked fresh grapefruit and sent one of the other gardeners up a palm tree so that we could saviour fresh coconut. We were the only people who turned up for the 1 hour guided walk which turned into 2 hours - I recommend you take advantage if you go. When ordering drinks make sure you ask for the premium brands otherwise you will be served with the cheaper local brands. Good selection of restaurants and good service throughout. Overall a great holiday destination, thorougly recommended.

Room Tip: All rooms are located with a good view, however some are on the hillside but golf buggy service is o...
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The best vacation ever. We opted for butlers this time. Well worth the money. Ronald and Gilbert were great. My wife had developed some back, leg problems just before we got there and they were always available to get us around. The restaurants were all very good. LaToc was great but Amondo's up on the hill was really an unfound treasure. Didn't have much at the bars because we had whatever we wanted at our room. Great view. We were up the hill behind the Piton's restaurant. Another great place to eat. It was great to have the guys reserve us a beach lounge and bring the beer down to us. We went diving three times. The drive to the "dive center" was a bit of a pain but the guys did a great job. Barney was especially helpful since we had not dived since last year in Jamaica. Gave us some great tips on problems we were having and took pictures for my wife. A special thanks to Barney. Only real negative seemed to be a real shortage of lounge chairs at the beach and pool. Can't understand that at all. Did not affect us because our butlers reserved ours for us but we saw people walking all up and down the beach and around the pool looking for lounges. Seems like a simple thing to fix. Just got back yesterday and already browsing on their website for next year. Will definitely book a butler room wherever we go.

Room Tip: We stayed in the blue building up the hill behind Pitons. Loved the room and the balcony. If you can...
1  Thank Terry C
Reviewed 25 November 2013

When we booked this trip, we were originally looking to book a house for four couples. The pricing looked very attractive and with a cook and chaffeure, it looked like it would be tough to beat. The women in the group were a little concerned with the safety of this since we have never been to St Lucia before. That led us to selecting an all-inclusive and we selected Sandals La Toc. We were glad we did.
Our fifth floor room was an ocean view but we had to look over the resort to do so. However, we really only spent time in our room getting ready to go out and sleeping. The room had all we needed except they could have a few more american plugs, especially in the bathroom(none). Also, some alcohol in the room would have been nice.
We have stayed at a lot of all-inclusives and sometimes the food is a concern. It isn't now. This by far was the best food we have experienced at an all-inclusive. The portions could be a little Larger but the food was great. The service could be a little faster but we were in no hurry and the serving staff were very helpful.
The staff during the stay was excellent. Junior and George were especially helpful and fun.
Overall, would return without a doubt.
Cell Service is non-existent at this location. Wi-Fi communications is the best bet.

Room Tip: Floors one through 3 have a better ocean experience.
1  Thank jstadts
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My girlfriend and I have just returned from a ten night stay at the Sandals La Toc resort and we had an amazing time. We had booked our stay including the butler service and from the moment we arrived until the moment we left we were given exceptional service. Our butlers Genevieve and Tana were outstanding and could not do enough to make our stay so enjoyable, from booking restaurants, to reserving our sunbeds everyday, to bringing us room service, their service was excellent and they even threw in a couple of surprises to make our stay even more special too.
The food in the resort is also very good. Every restaurant has its own feel to it and the food is very well presented and absolutely delicious. We had a great night in Kimono’s the Japanese restaurant with our chef keeping us entertained the whole way through the meal. The sushi bar next door is also a fantastic spot to enjoy food and cocktails whilst overlooking the bay. We also took advantage of the offer to eat in the restaurants at the other Sandlas resorts on the island. We visited the Sandals Grande twice eating at Tuscanini’s and Gordon’s restaurant with the latter located on a pier in the sea serving delicious seafood. Again the food in these restaurants was fantastic.
On the Friday we attended the Street Party at the resort which was great fun with barbecued food and live entertainment. The effort that was put in to the event was really impressive and we had a fantastic night.
The staff at the resort are fantastic too. Nathalie in the Cricketers Pub was so friendly and thoughtful bringing me a cake on my birthday. Her service in the pub was excellent and we really enjoyed spending time with her in there. Tasha was also great fun working at the pool bar always smiling and laughing.
The beach is beautiful and there are 3 pools to relax and have fun.
We stayed in a beautiful sunset view room that was spacious and had a great view across the ocean.
All in all our 10 night stay at the resort was absolutely brilliant and we would definitely recommend a stay there for anybody that is looking for a great time with excellent service from friendly staff. Would definitely recommend the butler service too as it made our stay even more enjoyable.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Overall a pleasant experience more so because of the beauty of the island and the staff at the resort. The view from the pool and beach is very nice, the staff is very helpful and pleasant and tries to make the stay a 5 star experience. The daily playmakers especially Oswald were great and Denzel one of the young photographers didnt pressure us like most of the photo staff and was helpful with many other facets of the trip.
We would have liked to see some improvements for the price we paid for our honeymoon ie. food portions, reservations at restaurants, paid wifi (works 50% of the time)

2  Thank WJM519
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc? Share your experiences!