“Sandals La Toc”

Sandals Regency La Toc
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We have recently returned from La Toc after a 17 day stay in a Romeo & Juliet room on the bluff.
The room was as shown on the web site and as we expected, one small gripe is that the lighting is a bit dingy in the evening - so ladies putting your makeup on can interesting.
The room comes with Butlers but ours were not about on our arrival so we had to wait in the club lounge for a while. Not a big problem, and could be due to the fact that we took the helicopter from the main airport rather than the bus. The helicopter was great.
Our butlers were very nice but we aren't that demanding and I don't think we put them under any pressure. They were very good at reserving sun beds and making reservations, but only twice in our entire stay did we come back to little treats in our room - again not a big deal.
When the in-room fridge wasn't stocked (which was often) they would sort it out quickly after a phone call.
Back to reserving sun-beds, if you didn't have a butler this could be a big issue as there didn't seem to be enough to go round especially with a shade When you are paying this much of a holiday you shouldn't have a problem getting a bed or a shade. I know they were running a full capacity whilst we were there so perhaps it isn't so bad at other times of year.
We eat at all of the restaurants and thought the food was good, as was the returning guests dinner. We also eat at Gordons twice and Marios which were also very good.
The beach is quite nice, but the sea was rough whilst we were there and the water sports were only open one day. It is a plus that you can use the other two resorts. The Grand has a better beach and the water is calm, but it can be a bit busy, if you turn left and walk down to the end the beach is wider and quieter. The other resort is also nice, much quieter but well worth a visit.
We only did one trip which was the whale watching, we didn't get to see anything and the sea was quite rough, a few people felt unwell. The resort itself is lovely, the grounds are very well kept and there are some really fabulous views. My husband played golf a couple of times and enjoyed it, he said the course wasn't great but it was OK and it was nice to get a game in.
Overall we had a really good holiday the staff are very friendly and the service was good. Meals can take a while as service can be a bit slow at times, but when you are sitting in a lovely spot it doesn't seem to matter.
The resort is quite spread out but the bus runs round regularly so you don't have to walk up and down the hill if you don't want to.

Room Tip: The Bluff rooms do have the best views and are quieter
1  Thank livinessex
Write a ReviewReviews (7,498)

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This is an excellent vacation we ever had. Food was fine, excellent service. We can go go to two other properties.La Toc is very nice property It was that we did not need a card or bracelet. The staff wonderful, friendly and very accommodating. Love, love!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Hello Natalya,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Sandals La Toc. We are so pleased that we were able to exceed your expectations and that our staff delivered the exceptional service that sets us apart from everyone else! We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed in La Toc for a second time and as returning guests we really enjoyed it. We usually stay in Royal Caribbean in Jamaica but decided to travel to St Lucia again and stay in La Toc. We didn't get disappointed as Mr James (General Manager) promised us when we were there two year ago. The island is nice and the location of the resort is excellent. Rooms scattered on different parts of the resort and if you book a suite with a butler, the view is beautiful and is very quite. They are located on top of a hill and you have the full view of the sea and part of the island. Staff are helpful but there are rooms for improvements to make new guests more welcome with more smiles. We would like to thank Mr James, Lola, Donovan, and the rest of the staff for being so professional during our stay there. I hope we can see you very soon.

Room Tip: A Romeo and Juliet room is a value for money.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Iraj F
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying at Sandals Regency La Toc. Overall the hotel was quite impressive. Beautiful grounds, tons of restaurant options, great entertainment and activities. The people are what truly makes the resort as they are always smiling and seem to genuinely be happy that you are staying there. I would be cautious if you have any mobility issues as the grounds are quite hilly and there are a ton of stairs in and out of the restaurants. There are shuttles that can take you up to the restaurants that are up the hill however you have to willing to wait for those. The Friday night street party that happens right on property is a must so be sure to not miss it. The standard rooms are nothing fancy and could definitely be updated however it’s not like we spent much time there. If there was one recommendation for the resort it would be to work on ensuring the standard rooms are looked after in the same way the concierge are. There were a couple days when I was short towels or shampoo. Not a big deal but it’s the attention to detail that makes you world class. Overall a great resort and I would definitely recommend it to anyone going to the beautiful island of St Lucia.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

We really enjoyed out time in St. Lucia, beautiful island and Sandals was lovely. It was great having the option to go to the other 2 properties which we took full advantage of. The beach at La Toc had a red flag the entire week we were there, but we went to the Grande instead 3 times during our stay. It was great to be able to travel between properties, without a card or bracelet. La Toc is a very pretty property and I am glad that we stayed there, the sunsets off of the bluff at Armando's were stunning. The food overall, was very good at La Toc, we truly enjoyed Le Piton, the staff there was wonderful, warm, friendly and very accommodating. Hi Bianca!
Since this was our second time at a Sandals resort, we were invited to the dinner for returning guests and they really do treat their loyal customers well, it was a lovely evening with wonderful food and surprises. We mingled with staff from all levels there and it was interesting to get to know more about the island and resort. The street party was amazing although we got rained out, how sad.
Yes there were a few concerns I had with service, difficult to reach the front desk, no one answered the phone, making promises they did not keep, items that I say does not classify them as a true 5 star hotel. However we did not let any of this upset our stay, we were on island time and we took things in stride, I did mention these items to management as I thought it was important for them to know where they fell short for the level of service that they offer. However for every staff that could have used more customer service training there were 2 that went over and above to make us feel welcome.
We met some wonderful people from all over and of all ages, we relaxed, we ate and slept well and we did not have a butler.
Overall a lovely vacation

2  Thank ACD_thornhill
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This is an excellent property with 8 restaurants on site, and two other Sandals nearby. For those who appreciate fine dining, this is a good choice. Breakfast and lunch are very good, but they excelled at dinner.
We are repeat visitors to this large property and it is updated and lovely. On the beach there are always very big waves which can be dangerous, but fun. The scuba diving is very good and we enjoyed this immensely. The diving takes a big part of the day (as another review describes) so we had to be ready to grab a quick lunch. Dinner was never less than excellent during our two week stay. The Sushi restaurant in new this year and is delightful.
We would return.

Room Tip: Rooms on the bluffs have the sunset view, are quieter as they are removed from the main area. Worth...
1  Thank db54g

My husband and I stayed in Millionaire Suite 820 in January 2014
Let me begin by saying that we are well traveled and accustomed to 5 star luxury resorts and all that comes with that distinction. We spent over 1800$ per night for this suite, and felt it was terribly overpriced and underwhelming. I usually do not have time to write reviews about all our travels, but felt compelled to write this one.
First off, I have read several of Sandals online responses to Tripadvisor posts ,and found they often say something similar to this " Our other guests found this to be exceptional, we apologize that you did not." Keeping that response in mind, I would like to give an example of what kind of a guest Sandals management is apparently hoping will stay in their Butler level suites.
If I gave my brother who is just not a well traveled guy, a trip to stay in the Millionaire suite, he would think it was the most amazing suite in existence, because it would well surpass anything else he had ever experienced. Having said that, we have been is several truly amazing suites, in amazing hotels, this does not crack the top 12 . If Sandals was truly trying to please a discerning guest with these four quite expensive Millionaire suites, they have missed the mark by miles. We will not repeat a trip to this St Lucia Resort, and are seriously reconsidering whether we want to visit any other Sandals resort again. Below are some of my reasons.

The first thing we noticed was that our unobstructed 180 degree view was almost entirely obstructed by trees, which led to a rush wood carving session outside our balcony the next day, why it took me to point this out I do not know? The very best part of this suite was the view ! The next door neighbor was doing home construction, so we could hear hammering and saws all day long.
The retracted doors that are shown in all the photos really do not retract all the way back, they are barely staying on the tracks and are worn and not closing properly. In the photos it looks like the walls of the living room and bedroom retract completely.The mosquitos are plenty due to the climate, so we could not leave these doors open even if we wanted to. I was covered in what I thought were large mosquito bites, but when we got home , and my husband had the same bites all around his ankles we went to our physician, and they were actually bed bug bites. Really? we traveled 15 hours, spent $16,000 to bring bed bugs back to my home, it almost sounds comical when we say it out loud.
We did not realize until 3 days into our stay that we were residing in the smallest of the 4 suites, although we paid the same price as the other couples. We cannot see any other patio from ours, they are set up for privacy, so we really had no idea. We inadvertently went to dinner with our neighbors in suite 822, they invited us back to their suite for a nightcap, we were shocked at the sheer size of their balcony, it was 3 times larger than ours. They had 4 deck chairs, huge beautiful potted trees, our deck had none of these amenities, this couple told us what they paid per night . What made them more special then us, I guess we will never know? Management moved us to the suite next door 3 days before we were to depart ( Ste 821) , this was in response to our question "why are the suites are not all the same, the price is the same?" This second suite was worse, the toilet plugged every single time we used it, ants were crawling all over the counter, and across the night stands, but, ....our balcony was larger.
The food portions were small, so we finally started ordering several dishes so we could fill up, the food was good, not great though.
I really wanted to paddleboard, I could not, there is a riptide that is almost constant, so you cannot do any watersports. I was told this is almost always the case and to go to the sister property if I wanted to paddleboard, windsurf, kayak etc.
The grounds were beautifully kept, and I found the staff outside of the restaurants to be very polite and friendly. The wait staff was not, the Pavillion being the worst. The Wifi was terrible, which I see is a common complaint. There are cats on this property, I suspect some cats were there before the property was. They basically are all out of sight, and bother no one, the few that do come out lounge are out of the way .Not sure what other guests have a problem with?
Our butlers Don & Sydney were absolutely wonderful, they were so attentive and very real, I did not feel like they were just going through they motions whatsoever. I would have taken them home if I could have.Our housekeeper Charlene always had a big smile every time I saw her !

I would like to close this review by saying everything I wrote here was conveyed in an hour meeting with the Guest services manager Victor Regis, except the bed bug situation, I did not know until we got home. He listened and was very kind, I am unsure if anything will be done about what we discussed, he seemed to be very genuine in wanting to know about our concerns, which I did appreciate.
Ultimately, anyone who is looking for a luxurious space , should not book a stay in these suites, they cannot deliver in their current state. A 5 star hotel does not have the issues I described here, it just does NOT happen. Someone at this resort is not paying attention, and lets face it, attention to details is what sets you apart from the rest of the pack.
I hope this review is helpful to other travelers.

Room Tip: Pick millionaire Suite 822, it is very large
10  Thank Vikkivette

Hello and thank you for your review.
We regret to hear that despite our staff's best efforts, we were unable to meet all of your expectations during your stay at Sandals La Toc. I wanted to be sure to address your concern about bed bugs. I have spoken directly with the resort management team and they have assured me that proactive measures have been taken. We've had no other complaints on resort regarding bed bugs, nonetheless, it is our policy to take pest control very seriously. I assure you that no other guests were moved into that room until after a full inspection.
We are grateful for feedback, inclusive of TripAdvisor posts, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Our response to feedback continues to be in word and deed. We hope that you would afford us an opportunity to demonstrate the same.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc? Share your experiences!