“Fantastic and relaxing”

Sandals Regency La Toc
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We just returned from our honeymoon spent at Sandals La Toc. We had an amazing trip. Michael James' staff is top notch, friendly and courteous.

My wife read many reviews questioning butlers and travel. We didn't reserve a butler but got pool side lounges everyday. It really was a non issue for me.. I was a bit concerned reading all the reviews saying that having a butler was a "must" ..Not so much in our pov. We ate at most of the restaurants where I thought the food was fantastic. Seating was never an issue She is a vegetarian and had many offerings to choose from Great buffet each morning and lunch. I had some of the best Sushi ever on the resort.

Alison, Kimma and company in the Club Level Concierge group were amazing. The best we have experienced in our travels and a credit to the Sandals group!

The beach was calm the week we went and we swam each day in the beautiful water. Maybe it gets rough but not when we were there.

We got married on their beach and the wedding team did an excellent job attending to all of our requests.

Food and alcohol flowed freely and Tasha at the pool bar kept our glasses full w/ many fruity rum drinks. We also had a candlelight dinner w/ friends on the beach and we all thought the food was amazing!

The room was clean and I was always kept in order by a great staff.

We loved snorkeling and taking a sunset cruise.

My favorite trip at a very fun place w/ an excellent staff! Go have fun! We did!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bill B
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Hello Bill,
Thank you for your review of Sandals La Toc. It was such an honor to have hosted your Weddingmoon and thank you for sharing your fantastic experience with us. We are so happy that all your expectations were surpassed and that you returned home with many wonderful memories of your special day. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had a terrific week at La Toc. The combination of the people we met, the weather and the resort & the staff helped make this a memorable trip. There will always be bumps in any trip (as indicated below) but no way do we allow it affect our vacation. Life is too short!

Here are some basic facts on the resort: If you don't do your research then you deserve what you get. the ride to the resort is curvey and takes a little over an hour (not two) - if you get car sick then don't come here or get a helicopter. The beach is nice & average - if you are a beach snob don't come here. If you are a foodie then go to a Ritz - this is an all inclusive resort that caters to thousands of people at a time. The drinks are not watered down - ask for more rum. Upgrades are not promised - if you want a certain level of room or service then pay for it.

Our room couldn't have been more perfectly situated as we were able to walk out right next to the pool. The higher level rooms do not have balconies but the 1st floor rooms have a small patio and umbrella

If you don't get Concierge or higher level room then you pay for internet which costs $42 for the whole week - pretty good deal as compared to cruises. The Internet worked fairly well for basic surfing on both our IPads and smart phones.

All the staff were amazing. If you treat them with respect they will do the same. Tasha and Miquel at the pool bar kept our drink glasses always full.

Kirton made the best omelets and eggs and Shane was always helpful getting us what we wanted during breakfast and lunch.

Ozzie, Dara, Tard and all the other Playmakers were very entertaining and fun to be with. They kept the people entertained with all the little events during the day.

All our meals and service at the restaurants were fantastic. Kimonos was the best. We also went to Kelly's at Halycon and Gordons at the Grande. The pizza was really good - we had them make us calzones!

Our only challenge was with level of service and food at the Cricketers pub - just very inconsistent. It seemed that the staff was running the place and had no supervision. Saw one of the staff sneak a bottle to another off duty person who hid it in his pants. Really disappointed - I'm hoping the GM looks into this situation.

Akeem who is the tennis pro was a lot of fun to play with. He took the time to play doubles with us after he gave lessons. He even let us win a couple of times! He also came out and played beach volleyball with us. Really appreciated his positive attitude and sincerity.

Beach Volleyball could only be played in the afternoon - the sand is soft but dark so it gets really hot mid day - ouch! The net is low but we had a few fun times. Once with some locals - that was a hoot teaching them.

The street party was really good. The stiltwalkers were amazing and Ozzie as the DJ was great. There was a really good variety of food.

Ian the loyalty manager was very gracious to us. He checked with us periodically during the trip to make sure everything was fine.

The night life is not too bad. The piano bar was hopping - the dance music was pretty good at times. The casino night was a blast - lots of fun!

Overall we had a very good time as usual.

Room Tip: There are no balconies.for the lowest level room unless you have the first floor that walks out - it...
7  Thank VegasPat44
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My new wife and I just returned from our honeymoon at the beautiful La Toc resort in St. Lucia. I booked this months ago as a surprise honeymoon and Sandals really came through for me. We had one of the Oceanview Villas with Butler service and it was fantastic. The butler had made dinner reservations for us at the best restaurants at La Toc and the neighboring resorts. He had all our dinners and excursions organized on a large calendar that was waiting for us in the room.

Getting used to the butler took a little time, but eventually we found ourselves calling him for everything and letting him handle more and more. A couple of interesting things though: You actually get a team of butlers that work in shifts between the hours of 7am and 10pm. You're expected to tip the butlers at the end of your stay despite the Sandals no-tipping policy. We found estimates, but decided on $100 for each of our two butlers.

Food and drink at the resort was great, although the swim up bars don't open until 10am (never thought I'd complain about not being able to drink earlier) and the regular bars don't open until 6pm. The bar service was great, but they don't have a huge variety of liquors or beer. That didn't matter very much as we decided to enjoy the local cocktails and frozen drinks. All the restaurants were fantastic, but the service is pretty slow as you're on island time. Some restaurants are closed 1 day a week, so you have to double check that when planning your meals. Once again, that's when the butler service comes in handy as they'll deliver you room service anytime, anywhere.

The excursions were fun, although a little pricey. My wife actually injured her foot on a cycling excursion, but the Sandals nurse provided great first aid and the butlers helped out tremendously. Sandals also refunded our remaining excursion in full despite their 96 hour cancellation requirement.

All in all, the resort exceeded my expectations. St. Lucia is beautiful, but remember, everyone is on "island time" so things move a little slower. The transfer to and from the airport can be a little stressful, so remember to relax and enjoy your vacation.

Room Tip: Butlers are worth it. The main Pavilion gets noisy, so be careful when staying in the main hotel.
1  Thank CJ D
Reviewed 5 June 2014

My husband surprised me with the planning of our honeymoon to St. Lucia. He booked us to stay at the Sandals resort La Toc which is a beautiful resort nestled in the hills of St. Lucia. We stayed in the honeymoon suite with the butler service which I highly recommend. We had a private two story suite with a balcony overlooking the beautiful private beach. The bed was very comfortable and I am someone who is very picky about beds and pillows and ours passed my test with flying colors. The reason I say the butler service is worth it is because they help take any worry,planning, room service etc for you. Our butlers were William and Tony and they were absolutely amazing. They were so friendly and we felt like they were apart of our family during our stay. They helped schedule everything from our massages at the spa, to dinner reservations at the restaurants you need dinner at, to helping us booked a private excursion for just the two of us. As for the resort there are at least 9 great restaurants to choose from.I know sometimes all inclusive restaurants are sometimes not the best but at La Toc we were so pleasantly surprised by the great variety and fresh food we had. From Italian, Japanese, Mediterranean, French, and Seafood. The staff at the resort were very helpful and very friendly. We felt like it was more of a community that we were able to get to know then a resort. As for us on our honeymoon it was a great place to have romantic dinners and time on the beach to meeting other couples at the 3 different pools. A note about the pools...there were days that people got out to the pools early to get chairs because they do get pretty full, however, with the butler service your butler will save you chairs so there is no need to rush out to the pool or beach as they will hold your seats for you which is very nice on busy days at the resort. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone. They had a great options for excursions and it was very nice having the private beach.

Room Tip: It is worth spending a little more to
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We are returning to Sandals LaToc for the third year in a row. Why? Because it is perfect. I think it is an Adult Fantasy Island!!! Food, drink, staff, playmakers, fine dining and access to 2 other Sandals resorts at no extra charge makes it the perfect get away.

Room Tip: Oceanview walkout room is the best value if you want to be in the middle of everything.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary C
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We traveled to Sandals Regency La Toc May 25th to June 1st and were a little concerned after reading reviews for months before we left.

We couldn't be happier with our choice, the resort was absolutely beautiful. I really have no idea how anyone could complain about this place or the staff unless they simply just like to be miserable.

We were married on the beach, everything was pretty much done for us, no stress wedding is the way to go. I had my hair done by one of the Red Lane Spa girls, I wish I could remember her name, I wrote it down but misplaced it. She made me feel so relaxed and made my hair better than I ever could and I have difficult hair. She was awesome!

When we arrived to St. Lucia we decided to take the Serenity Tours Helicopter, the pilot was very pleasant and informative and the ride was quick, well worth it!

When we arrived to the resort we were met by Allison and Kimma in the club lounge, these two girls are amazing! We loved Allison, she is professional, friendly, attentive, and always goes the extra mile. She would be great in a management position.

Our room was nice and always clean, we drink a lot of water, the 2nd day of our stay we asked for extra water and received more everyday for the rest of our stay. Veronicha always said hello to us even when she was working in another room, she is a very hard worker.

We had lunch at Neptunes when we arrived, Christel made us feel very welcome, she was awesome!

Tanya at the pool bar was always smiling, making people laugh and is a non stop worker. Ask for a "Tanya special", you won't be disappointed.

I am an early riser, every morning I would go save seats for us and sit and watch as the staff cleaned the pool area, I am so impressed with the work these people do. Every morning a guy was in the pool washing down every inch of the pool by hand.

Yes, the butlers reserve seats for their guests but there are plenty. When we were there the resort was full. I was able to reserve seats and most days by 9a there were still some left. We were told during orientation if we reserve seats and do not use them our stuff would be removed so others could enjoy them.

We had dinner at La Toc, the Pavillion, Kimono's, Armando's, Soy, and Neptunes all were great, never had a bad meal. If you like larger portions order more, they are very accommodating. One of our highlights was at Armando's we had the pleasure of having Keitha wait on us. As we got talking with her we found out she likes to sing. She sang a song for us at the end of dinner, watch out American Idol, this girl is awesome!

We also had dinner on the beach with a couple traveling with us, this was also amazing and I highly recommend it. Flavia was awesome, we had a great time with her!

Susan, the security guard was always at the resort bright and early with a friendly smile on her face. She was great to talk with and another hard worker. She stayed very patient with difficult guests. (most weren't difficult but there was one couple there that were unreal, throwing food at each other and complaining about internet, feather pillows, being too close to other guests at the pool, you name it. They would also take 9 towels at a time, yes we counted each time, they were the main attraction at the pool most days). Susan was alway pleasant with these difficult guests. I give her a lot of credit.

Are there mosquitos? Yes, but the resort does all they can do to avoid this. While we were there they sprayed the grounds after giving guests plenty of notice this would be taking place. It doesn't get rid of all mosquitos but it helps.

Are there cats? Yes, but they do not bother anyone and are not always around. They are friendly and cute.

We were asked several times by managers how our stay was and if there was anything they could do to make things better, this is great. They are really trying to make sure they are doing everything they can.

One morning at the pool a man came up to us and asked how our stay was, he didn't say who he was, he walked around, cleaned picked things up as he went. He was very friendly and professional. I saw his name tag and asked if he was Michael James the general manager. (we learned of him at our cocktail hour trivia). He said "yes". Let me tell you, this man does just as much as the staff, he is very invested. When we went to Armando's we saw him sitting at a table eating dinner. He is always checking up on guests and staff. It is a well run resort! We told him how pleased we were with our stay and how lucky he is to have Allison in the club lounge working for him. We cannot say enough about her, I truly hope she is acknowledged and given the recognition she deserves, she was absolutely AMAZING and went above and beyond.

We will be back! This was our best vacation yet and we have traveled quite a bit.

7  Thank Diane T
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Well worth the money - you should go!

The resort has a colonial feel and whilst not super modern is clean, comfortable, well looked after, well equipped and has a very friendly and competent staff.

The main buffet restaurant serves excellent grub and you can usually book into any of the "fine dining" restaurants ( I don't rate them fine dining in the accepted sense, but they are a cut above most resort restaurants; white glove service is a bit OTT in my view, but hey)

The resort is a little spread out, which is both good (not on top of each other) and bad (a bit of a warm and hilly walk - although there is a regular shuttle service on site for those less inclined to walk)

Tasha at the pool bar is a brilliant ambassador and epitomises the friendly and efficient staff across the resort.

We also played golf on the 9 hole on site course - no green fees but $100 to hire clubs, buggy and a caddy, although you do get a couple of sleeves of balls to take home (the caddies carry plenty of balls for you to use on the course)

We also took the complementary shuttle bus to the other Sandals resorts nearby (about 30 / 45 mins to get to them) and they looked good too. We actually ate at 2 of the fine dining options at the Sandals Grande.

Some trips out to do stuff if you need a change from relaxing at the pool on site - we did zip lining through the rain forest which was brilliant even though we are both the wrong side of 60!

Any downside? Unless you are upgrading to a cottage or butler service you have to pay $43 for a weeks Internet access which in my view should be included for all - we have paid for a luxury all inclusive break after all. Air conditioning in the reception would be nice - there is an air conditioned room for "club Sandals" clientele. It is a young resort with an average age of 30ish which is fine and is not noisy even with 80% newly married Americans ( I'm not saying all American's are loud!)

Would I return to Le Toc? No, but only because there are lot's of other holiday destinations to see - but I would return to a Sandals like experience without hesitation.

Room Tip: We got a top floor room in the main building - best view, close to pool, etc and quiet, although onl...
2  Thank Steve P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc? Share your experiences!