“What a great place!”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Marlton, New Jersey
“What a great place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We just spent one week at the resort for our honeymoon. What a great place! Everything was first class. The food, the room, the activities, the service, etc. I especially enjoyed the 9 hole golf course. It's not Pebble Beach, but the crazy terrain and terrific caddies (like Lennon) make it a worth while track. We would recommend this resort to any couple that would like to get away and not worry about a thing. (warning...there is an hour long ride with lots of hills and hairpin turns from the airport to the resort)

4 Thank Tom H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,758)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We came to this sandals resort with great expectations due to the price we paid but we were to a certain extent disappointed. First and for most our Butler did a lousy job at getting stuff organized she seemed to be a bit confused or lazy got a lot of our plans twisted but we got over it. the food could have been a bit better it was a bit low key and the bars were always out of something. We spent most of our nights at the sunset bar with Ryan he is the best. He introduced us to so many other couples and he has the ability to bring people together and keeping a crowd alive. Nothing was too much for him to do for us he is a star. We want to also apologize to him for going pass his shift on several nights because he would be caught up cracking jokes or educating us about something he is so intelligent. Think he is in the wrong profession. But all in all he made our stay and if we come back its to see him.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank riberry
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for your review.
I'm happy that Ryan was able to ensure that you had a great time in St. Lucia and that you have many great memories of the time you spent with him. Still, we are sorry to hear that not all your expectation were met during your most recent visit at Sandals La Toc and we certainly appreciate you taking the time to notify us of which areas could use some improvements. I will be sure to share all your comments with the team. We hope that you will return and allow us the opportunity to deliver the exceptional service for which we are known.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I went here on our honeymoon in May of 2012. The butler service was amazing! anything and everything we needed was just a call away from the cellphone that was provided to us by the resort. Our butlers would either turn down our bed at night or have rose peddles leading to a drawn bath with candles.

When leaving the resort we packed everything up and left it in the room. When packing we noticed my wife had two missing shirts. We notified the resort staff when leaving about the missing clothes but didn't get far. We then left to the airport and upon arrival our luggage was not there. We waited around at the airport and finally over an hour later it showed up. At that time we didn't have much time to check our luggage due to almost missing our flight. We arrived in Miami international where we stayed the night. When checking the luggage we noticed once we opened the zippers my wife's two missing shirts were there. The two shirts were just crammed in and everything else was neatly folded. I contacted the resort and sent several emails I was pretty much called a liar.

Other then the above listed the resort was a blast and would go again. The Joe Knows Boat Tour is a must if you have time.

Room Tip: If possible get a room with butler service.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank George D
Babylon, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Just spent 1 week at La Toc for our honeymoon and it was an amazing time! All of the staff were absolutely amazing. I wish I could thank everyone by name but a few staff who really stood out to us are Lucas at Herbie's Piano Bar, Joakim at the Front Desk, Rufina who served our dinner on the beach and Tasha one of the bartenders. Amazing views from our room (Piton blue buildings). All of the food was outstanding and Armando's has the best linguini and clam sauce we have ever had. Sandals customers for life!

2 Thank Ronnie G
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

It was the best vacation EVER. We have traveled to many places over the years and this trip surpassed our expectations. This was our first trip to Saint Lucia and our first stay at a Sandals Resort. Sandals La Toc resort has made us “Sandals People”. What makes it nice is that there is a variety of age group couples, from young honeymooners to anniversary couples such as ourselves celebrating 30 years of marriage.

First the transfer ride from the airport to the resort was fine and we took the resort shuttle van. It’s about an hour and our driver was good. Up until the week before our trip I was debating about getting a private car, I’m glad I didn’t. There is only one road and you can’t get there any faster unless you take the helicopter so enjoy the scenery.

La Toc is a beautiful resort and every aspect of it from the service, the accommodations, the food, and most of all the employees, make it a wonderful place. Our butlers Gilbert and Tony were outstanding. They took good care of us and helped to make our vacation perfect. You guys are the best. Also another “thank you” to Rufina at the beach cabanas, we loved being in the ocean, so she called us “her little fish’s”. It was like being with family.

We stayed in the Piton Ocean view Two Story Butler Veranda suites (blue buildings # 41). It was a perfect location for us, in the middle of the resort with a great ocean view. We could see/hear the waves and the smallest pool “the piton” was right across from our suite, no need for a plunge pool. There are a lot of steps (not bad) helped to work off some of the food.

The restaurants were all very good for dinner, Armando’s, Neptune’s, and Pitons. La Toc was ok, but Gordon’s at the Sandals Grande was excellent. Lunch was brought to us at the beach/pool, pizzas, sandwiches, all good. The Pavilion buffet breakfast was nice, good choices. Did a couple late night room services and one breakfast and the service was good.

Now I know everyone had been posting good things about the Joe Knows tour and it sounded great, but we decided to go with the Island Routes Land & Sea tour. Well it was absolutely a blast and we totally enjoyed ourselves. Our tour guide was fantastic. We learned so much about St. Lucia and saw a lot of the island. Beautiful photos to take of the island, botanical gardens, waterfalls, volcano, mud bath and a delicious local lunch. Then the catamaran boat ride to snorkel or swim and back up the coast. The catamaran was a PARTY, drinks, snacks and lots of Music & Dancing. The Island Routes people were super nice and a lot of fun.

St. Lucia is a beautiful island with wonderful people and Sandals La Toc is a part of that. Again Sandals has won us over and without question their asset is their employees and we are coming back. We have already booked our vacation for next year to Sandals Grande Riviera in Jamaica. Thank You Sandals.

Room Tip: Butler level-two story veranda suites-in the middle of resort-convenient to everything
6 Thank GWsugar
lititz, pa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

My new husband and I went to Sandals La Toc for our honeymoon in June 2014. My brother had gone there years ago with his fiance and actually married there. They loved it so I was so so excited to try it! That being said, my husband and I saved and spent $7000+ for the trip so my expectations were high.

Pros:
For the most part, the staff was pleasant and helpful. They were always saying hello and asking how we were enjoying our trip. In general, the grounds and the island were beautiful! There were many restaurants and several different pools. We stayed in a butlered room which included a butler who was able to drive us around the resort and help make restaurant reservations or other arrangements for us. There were several restaurants to choose from at night and the main pool off the beach was lovely. It had an open air restaurant that served breakfast and lunch daily. All alcohol was included and we did have top shelf liquor fully stocked in our room. My husband is a licensed scuba diver and he got to go on several dives during our stay. The best part of our visit was a boat tour and snorkel tour with "Our Toy Boats." If you get the chance to go on it, it is fun and enjoyable!

Cons:.
When we arrived at the Castries airport, we were taken to a Sandals bar/waiting area to wait for a shuttle to the resort. I didn't realize that the shuttle consisted of a van that crammed all of the couples into it (when I say crammed - I mean the seat in the very middle of the van came out so that the van was absolutely full to the gills - not fun). I felt like cattle being shuffled around.The ride was an hour long and took us around the desolate, ugly and poor part of the island. I felt like cattle being shuffled around. If you go, take a private car or helicopter to the resort because after paying what we did I didn't want to feel like one of the sandals vacationers. It just started off the vacation badly for me.

Our room was nice but could have used some upgrade. We had a four poster queen bed and a small sitting room with a small plunge pool. Unfortunately we never used the pool because it was surrounded with trees and was always chilly. The shower was missing a door so when we showered the water ended up all over the bathroom floor.

I think the biggest negative at the resort was the "upcharges." Sandals advertises itself as an all expense paid vacation - no tipping or extras. I expected we'd spend some additional money but I got tired of all of the extras and "suggestions" for additional services. The butler who worked with us made the point of telling us that tipping was "relaxed" for butlers and spa service. We would have tipped the butler anyway but his saying this made it sound "expected."

My husband attempted to go on three dives. On the first one, he waited for over two hours to go out because of delays with the ship arriving. He arrived back 3 hours later than expected. The second was cancelled due to rain and the third was also late going out and coming back. We found that the people in St. Lucia do things on their time - basically when they feel like it. You are expected to be on-time but they feel they are not expected to be on-time or on-schedule.

We had a problem with our butler on his follow-through. We found that we didn't need him so much for driving us or for saving chairs at the pool but for changing restaurant reservations and/or answering questions about the resort. He was not able to help us in these respects. For example, we found that when we arrived reservations were made for dinner for us at the different restaurants but they were late (9 or even 10 pm). We asked our butler to make the reservations earlier and to change some of them. We asked him this first thing when we arrived and never heard anything back. When he called again, my husband asked him once more and again, no response. By the next day, my husband called on his own and changed the reservations. In addition, he asked about diving - whether it was included or free and how do you sign up, etc. The butler said it cost additional money and told my husband to go to the dive shop on the beach to ask. Again, this is something that he should have known or even been able to find out for us.
The couples massage which we thought was "complimentary" was not. It was a percentage off of the price which amounted to $40 and included tips already. When we finished, the spa staff
gave us a little presentation on their skincare line which was sort of annoying because we didn't need spa skincare products which were very overpriced. If we would have realized the massages weren't free (as presented to us), we wouldn't have even done the complimentary massage.

The staff really pushed the alcohol. Even though I realize it is free, and many people came here because they like to drink so they loved it. But, I am not a drinker and this constant push for drinks and drinking got annoying after a while. In addition, this sandals was the "party" sandals. The couples were generally in their early-to mid twenties. They did a lot of drinking and got loud at times. We took a shuttle to the other Sandals (The Grande) and noticed it was a bit more sedate and had couples who were generally older (30s and 40s) so we might have enjoyed the atmosphere a bit more here. Their beach was nicer there too.

The food at the restaurants was good but not great. I have been on several cruises where the food was better by far. The resort was on the beach but the beach was very small and turned out to be a "public" beach as well.

So, overall it was a nice experience to visit somewhere different and tropical. We met some nice people there too. But, it wasn't the all inclusive paradise that it is made out to be. Just be ready to spend more once you get there if you want to have a nice and relaxed time. It also may be that I am spoiled a bit from going on cruises with the food, the entertainment and the atmosphere.

Room Tip: A beach-front room is the way to go. We stayed higher up at a "villa" but getting there y...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank annemarieo
Thank you for reaching out to us about your stay at Sandals Regency La Toc.
We were truly disappointed to learn that we did not quite meet your expectations for service and quality. Comments, both positive and negative are an important tool that we use to constantly improve ourselves and we appreciate the time and effort taken to provide them. We value all of your input, as it allows us the opportunity to identify our strengths and weaknesses. Our response to feedback continues to be in word and deed. We hope that you would afford us an opportunity to demonstrate the same.
Albany, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We had a fantastic 25 year anniversary at La Toc. The food was fine and the drinks were always flowing. We stayed from 7/20-7/26 and had a private sundeck room in the Pitons w/o butler service. Please note that St Lucia, while a paradise, is still a third world country and tourism is the primary industry. As soon as you get off the plane, there is someone there grabbing your bags to move them 30 feet for a tip. No biggie...just make sure you hit the bank before you travel and get $100-$200 in $5s and bring $20 in $1s. Throw the guy $5 and be happy as rum punch is plentiful in the waiting area. The shuttle to the resort is a bit of a ride and very twisty through the mountains. Upon your arrival, a champagne toast and overview of the resort are provided. From there, I suggest you book your excursions at the tour desk and get your reservations for dinner. You are definitely going to want to go to the La Toc and Hibachi restaurants as they are the best on the property. Without question, you are also going to want to get to Kelly's Dockside at the other Sandals resort. I would have eaten there every night had I known sooner. Great food and atmosphere.
If you are into snorkeling or scuba diving, I would see the dive desk and reserve spots for as many days as possible as it fills up quickly. If you don't have butler service, use the front desk to make your reservations. They were great with everything. As a returning Sandal's guest, they provided us with complementary internet and a private car for the trip back to the airport. That was perfect.
We hung with the newly weds during the day around the pool bar and got into some of the daily activities like pool Olympics and pool volleyball and took out a canoe. Everyone was very friendly and we chatted with so many friends. We met a number of couples from upstate NY, Buffalo NY, NJ, NC and Canada for the most part. Only one couple from the EUR/Paris.
A couple of secrets...
The billiard room has the best A/C of all rooms in the place and is a great oasis from the heat cuz it is HOT. The work out rooms are well A/C as well.
Order multiple appetizers and/or entrees as the portions are small. We had lunch at Neptune's just about everyday and ordered calamari (best I ever had) and onion rings along with the pizza of the day. At Kelly's, we ordered two entrees (sirloin steak and fisherman's platter) to make a surf and turf but also ordered the Couscous to share because it all sounded great. No, I'm not 600lbs, I am 6'1" 200lbs and it all hit the spot. It was great!!
If you like a little privacy away from the crowd, the pool area around the Piton's restaurant was always empty aside from 1 or 2 couples. The pool bar at the Italian restaurant was scarcely populated as well and you could get an umbrella easily.
Don't be afraid to ask for things (politely) as most of the time you will get them. We golfed one day and I was previously informed that drinks at the course were not included, so I asked the front desk to kindly get me a small cooler with ice and they made it happen. I also asked them to change my reservations for tours and dinner multiple times and they were more than happy to assist. Frankly, I used them like they were my personal butler service. I also asked for a discount on my purchases at the Duty Free store and they gave me 15% off.
Bring $5s and $1s with you at all times. While tipping is not allowed, you can do it on the sly and if someone is doing a nice thing for you then try to tip them. When you are on excursions, tipping is expected for everything. When you stop in the market areas, someone will do tricks for you in the street. You have to tip them... that's how they live... just a $1. If you have someone take a picture with you or for you... tip them $1. Don't get upset about it... th
The cons...
It is HOT... while there is a breeze, it really is HOT all the time. Put 30 or 50 sunscreen on and hit the pool or the beach. You will burn in 15 min or less... trust me. The A/C in the room works fine, but keep the blinds closed as the room will heat up quick and it won't be enjoyable coming back to the room after a hot day in the sun.
The beach is ok and the water is warm but not crystal clear. Nothing so far beats the water in Turks and Caicos. Snorkeling was fun and I saw a number of schools of various fish and squid but the water is not very clear or as clear as I had expected. I only snorkeled one day because you had to take a shuttle to the marina (10 min ride) where all Sandals resorts on the island boarded the dive boat. This was only available at 8am each day. Sandals resorts on other islands offer multiple dive opportunities as the dive boat is located at the resort. Get your reservations early.
House keeping is a bit inconsistent as to when they arrive to clean the room and when they replenish towels, soap, etc. Not a huge issue but something to note when you come back from the pool and want to take a shower... your room might not be cleaned and towels available.
Bottom-Line...
I would definitely go back

Room Tip: The Pitons section of the resort is pretty centrally located and the rooms there are very quiet. On...
4 Thank Dsan65
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!