“Not my favourite Sandals”

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
london
“Not my favourite Sandals”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I stayed here for three nights after visiting Sandals Grande Antigua, where I had a Club level room. Here at Sandals La Toc I had one of the leading room types and I was disappointed to find that the floor was dirty. I visited the other two Sandals resorts while on St Lucia and in my opinion the Grande St Lucia is far superior.
I would recommend this resort but only if you upgrade to a room that has a balcony and if your budget can stretch to the rooms in the Bluff.

Room Tip: Stay in the Bluff.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank reviewshols

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,824)
Sarnia
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a butler suite on the bluff! So worth getting a butler. Had Roger and Churtis, both great butlers! Anything you want they will get you! Asked for baileys to have in our coffee in the morning or any alcohol u would want they will bring to you! Cold cooler of beer brought to u anywhere on the resort! Stayed at sandals grande for 6 days after la toc and no butler, they never even gave us bottled beer in our room. If we ever go to sandals again I would probably go with a butler.
I find sandals resort a bit overpriced. I am sure u could stay at as nice of a resort for a lower price!
Rooms very clean and beautiful sunsets on the bluff!
Food at all restaurants were amazing! Didn't have one thing that tasted bad!
Beach a bit rough but a lot nicer than I thought it would be. The beach at the grande was nicer but both beautiful!!
Golf was ok. They make it so u need a caddy which I hated! I just wanted to relax and golf without hearing tips from the caddy every 5 mins! 100$ for 2 to golf 9 holes with a cart. Even with free green fees.
Hired a private tour, Fabian tours I think? Was the best. Seen the pitons, mud bath, mineral springs, went to ladera for lunch, sugar beach for a drink (both beautiful resorts) great day!
Went zip lining great day trip!
In total we went to la toc and the grande for 12 days. Too long, 7-10 days max I would stay, it gets repetitive even though it is very beautiful there!

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Brown111
Reviewed 5 August 2014

One word of advice, Don't stay at an all inclusive for longer than a week. That is our opinion as it was just too long to the point where we were ready to leave. There is only so much you can drink, eat, and lay by the pool.

Overall we LOVED our experience at La Toc and we don't regret anything. Every couple we ran into prior to coming that had been there all mentioned how its a great place, and it lived up to all the hype so we were pleased.

The travel experience was fairly easy there until we got thru customs then all the workers there are kind of muling you around to where you need to go. Make sure you carrying some small bills on you so you can tip some of these people for helping you out. We use St. Lucia Helicopters as our ride up to La Toc and this is STRONGLY recommended as it was a 12 minute trip compared to about an hour and a half ride up which there is NOTHING straight about. If you aren't good in long uneasy car rides, load up on the dramamine.

the helicopter was a little sketchy and you are just barely catching your breath after running around crazily being pointed where to go, but you have to put it behind you because the pilot is very relaxed and informative. Just take it all in because it ends fast, but it is soooo worth it.(btw...your checked bags go with the Sandals shuttle separately as you fly with only your backpacks - they arrive a few hours later I am told, but it wasn't a big deal as they were there when we needed them)

We then landed at the northern airport in Castries where we pay and then are lead to a row of taxi drivers who all have luxury vehicles. you tell them where you are going and they take you there. We didn't know we had to pay for this so when we got there he asked for $25 for the trip. Which was fine, I was just glad to be at the resort so it was worth it.

When we arrived we were taken to the Concierge as we had a Club Level Sunset Bluff room overlooking the beach and main pool area, it was sooo worth it, probably the best most inexpensive room, at least the one with the most bang for the buck. We waited in Concierge for a short time filling out some paperwork, etc, while our room was made available (they had to stock the bar and get it ready for us). We were shuttled up to our room, yes shuttled. It's quite a hike from the main part of the resort to the sunset bluff area, but you quickly realize a shortcut, however, use the shuttle as much as possible because the last leg is a very steep climb up a hill.

When we arrived to our room, we realized it was simply a general hotel room with an absolutely gorgeous view. there was a minibar, a small couch, a bed, a decent sized closet and a smaller bathroom. We were a little disappointed, but not really because we weren't planning on spending much time in the room and if we were, it would be in the bed.....

We stayed in a club level room so we had concierge which I was told was the only way, other than a Butler to have room service delivered to your room. We ordered room service a few times. the food wasn't bad at all, different from the other food we had at restaurants however. If you order any of the desserts, expect to get bite sized desserts, so order a few.

We had been contemplating getting a butler room prior to booking, but settled on the extra nights, we ended up doing 11 days. Like i began the review with, I would never do the 11 days again, maybe with another couple friends, but that would be the extent. Don't get me wrong, it was wonderful, but our stomachs had just had it after eating and drinking so much and then at that point everyone we had met was already gone and there was a new crop of people. One other couple was there for as long as we were and we were joking that it felt like we were in college and everyone else was in high school because people were drinking starting at 9 and drinking all morning and afternoon and we started around 1ish to have our first drink because we actually wanted to make it thru dinner. The first few days was just eating and drinking non stop and then taking a nap. When you wake up from the nap you don't really want to do anything and if you do you go out to dinner and then back to bed. That was us anyways, we are home bodies in our early 30's.

I am glad we didn't get the butler because I would feel you would have to entertain them by always making reservations and having them do whatever it is you need them to do. the best part of them would probably be to have them cart you around, get room service taken to you at the pool, having a cooler available for you whereever you want to go, and then of course saving your spot near the pool. If you don't stay in the main part of the resort or have a butler, don't plan on getting a nice chair by the pool overlooking the beach because they are ALWAYS reserved. I only noticed come Saturday and Sunday when the turnover happens with guests that they become available more often.

The abundance of food and drink was phenomenal. I am a mixed drink and beer drinker. I told myself no frozen drinks, but that is all I drank next to their local beer, Piton. Which is excellent beer if you have never had it. Basically if you haven't been to St. Lucia, you have never had it because I believe they are the only island that sells it, there may be one other island or two but I am not sure. The BEST frozen drinks were the Funky Monkey and the Miami Vice. We always ordered both with extra rum. they were out of this world. The main bar had a couple of bartenders I really liked, Tasha and Miguel. Hands down the best bartenders we had all week.

Our schedule consisted of waking up, going to the small fitness center by Armando's, changing into our suits, heading to either Armando's or the Pavilion for breakfast, then hanging at the main pool for the rest of the day. Armandos was plated breakfast with a small continental buffet. It was a good breakfast but it took a little longer, where the Pavilion is a buffet with a grill where they make omelets and eggs to order. We LOVED the Pavilion breakfast.

there were activities at the pool where most people hung out at. We spent a day or two up at the pool near Armando's but it was for the older crowd, it was a lot more tranquil up there, certainly not a bad thing at all. They also have a nice swim up bar and chairs overlooking the small cove.The activities by the main pool were ongoing throughout the day, the staff was fun and very sociable. They didn't force anything down your throat as far as activities are concerned. I did a basketball competition one day and I played pool volleyball every day and it occurs twice a day (i just wish they kept the nets up all day).

there are towels at the pool, just make sure you get your towels and throw them on a chair to save it. That was the most annoying part of the whole pool, but i get it and there is probably no other way. they just need to make guests more aware of putting their towels in the dirty bin when they are done so that people don't think the seats are still taken. they need more floats, so make sure if there is a float around, grab it and hold onto it for as long as you can. People hoard them and take them out of the pool with them while they go lay in their chair and that is super annoying and I reached out to the resort to see if they can do something about it.

We didn't do too much water activities. We brought some Waboba balls with us to throw around in the ocean which was fun, but we paddleboard one day and it just isnt a real good spot to do it because the waters are a bit choppy. If you want to do that, go to the Grande. We spent a day there and all I have to say is, smaller pool, newer, huge swim up bar, bar by the water, rafts in the ocean you can lay on, walk into the ocean sucks(very rocky), good water sports, not many spots to lay around the pool, great restaurant in the Crepery, but overall I'd still rather stay at La Toc. I feel the rooms and views would be so much better but it was nice to visit there. We would've probably gone a couple of days there if we had gone sooner. We actually discussed that it wouldve been cool to spend half our honeymoon at the Grande and half at La Toc.

Restaurants were great. Armandos was great, never went for lunch. Brochure says resort evening attire for dinner, but to be honest, there was only one place that enforced your attire...La Toc and it sucked. We cancelled our first reservation and the service the next time sucked so we didn't even sit, we left and ate at Armandos. the Pitons was amazing, a real hidden gem there. I hadn't heard much about it but we ate there a couple nights. Neptunes and the pizza place were daily stops for us. good smalls pizzas and a great small mediterranean menu. they even have a spot where you can leave the pool and grab a quick slice, some popcorn, or even some local jamacain chicken/beef patties. We only ate at Pavilion for breakfast and loved it everytime. Cricketers was probably my favorite though. They have a great menu. I tried fish and chips and their version of shepahrds pie and both were amazing. Their apple pie dessert was one of the best apple pies I have ever eaten. someone said their Bailey Cheesecake was so good he had 5 pieces to go. Which is actually the best part, you can order anything and however much of anything to go if you are full at the restaurant but know you will be hungry later. We did this with the pizza place a lot and did it every night for dinner. We'd order one of every dessert to go, except for Cricketers I'd order 3 pizzas of apple pie for me and two pieces of the cheesecake for my wife.

Let's just say our stomachs were happy for us to get back to our routine....

We did the couples massage which is highly recommended. Gemma took care of us and was an absolute doll. I'm not one for massages and probably wouldn't do it again unless I was back there. We did the Joe Knows tour. I left a HUGE review on this website for it, as it was one of the best experiences of my life, so if you come here, you MUST do the Joe Knows tour. I heard they have similar tours for a little less money, BUT come on.....Joe KNOWS!

Overall we absolutely loved our time at La Toc. I wanted to go golfing but the views I was expecting weren't really there and the price made me feel it wasn't worth it, plus it rained a little bit almost everyday (hurricane season) so the greens wouldve been soaked. the rain was not bad at all it was refreshing, I loved it when we were in the pool.

some things I leave you with...I don't normally write reviews for anything but I looked at so many reviews prior to booking that I felt it necessary to share ALL of my experiences, thoughts, and feelings towards our trip. If I could give you best advice:

Pack much lighter - plan on packing a few bathing suits, a bunch of t-shirts, underwear, a pair or two of socks, sandals, boat shoes, one pair of pants, two pairs of khaki shorts, 2-3 collared shirts and thats about it. I wore the same dress shirt to dinner most nights because I would put it on go to eat, come back and take it off. La Toc was the only restaurant that worried what you were wearing, I saw people at Armandos wearing t-shirts, shorts, sandals, and sneakers (ive reached out to sandals saying they need to change the dress code to everything being casual and if you want to dress up, then dress up).

Use the shuttle service from the Bluffs to the main pool and back more often

Go to all the restaurants

Bring a ton of sunscreen and aloe

Don't wake up and drink right away

Pace yourself with everything food and booze related

Go to Neptunes/Pizza place everyday

Go meet Tasha and Miguel at the main pool bar

Go see Cristal (waitress) at Armandos and tell her the couple who will have cute babies (only because of my wife) said to say hello

Get a room with a balcony

Dont be afraid to order room service

Try a Funky Monkey - but dont ask for one at the Grande they wont make you one

Check out the Grande

Do Joe Knows tour

Couples massage

HELICOPTER RIDE is a must - worst every penny

Get surf and turf at Pitons

walk from the main pool towards Pitons restaurant and up the stairs as a cutoff to the Bluffs

enjoy your time! If anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns regarding my review/trip, please let me know I'd be happy to help anyone out with any suggestions and or advice....

Room Tip: Club Level or higher - look for a balcony if you can but don't be bummed if you don't have o...
22 Thank Andrew A
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Sandals La Toc once again didn't disappoint! My husband and I just returned from a 10 day trip from July 25 - August 3, and everything about La Toc was just as amazing, if not more, than our first stay. We stayed in a two story walk-out butler suite. I had requested Don and Sydney for our butlers (because of their amazing reviews I've seen on TripAdvisor) and I am SOOOO glad I did! They both went above and beyond to make us feel comfortable, welcome and wanted. Every single day and/or night they brought us, or left us, a surprise like a BEAUTIFUL bouquet of flowers, drinks, snacks on the beach/pool, chocolates and cake, to name a few. They were especially caring when I got sick and had to see the doctor and go to the hospital. They made sure that everything we needed was taken care of.

While being sick in a foreign country could have been a terrifying experience, EVERY SINGLE employee that helped us through the situation made us feel comfortable and taken care of. Annette the nurse was extremely kind, called the doctor for me, and checked in on me in the subsequent days. Dr. Fleming was very thorough, and my husband and I agreed he was better than many of the doctors we've come across in the US. When I had to go to the hospital, Ravin, the night manager, called a cab for us and arranged for a security guard to come to the hospital with us. Jackie, the butler manager, happily wrote us a letter verifying our charges so we could submit items to our insurance. Additionally, if any other staff member, including managers, house keeping, and spa staff found out I was sick, every time they saw me they made sure to ask how I was feeling. Mr. James, you have an amazing staff!

Luckily, being sick only affected two of our days, so we were able to enjoy the rest of our time. We enjoyed snorkeling in the swimming areas at La Toc and the Grande. There were a variety of fish, a stingray, jellyfish and coral. We also went on one snorkeling trip through Sandals which was also good. When not at the beach, we enjoyed the pool near Armandos, as it was much quieter and laid-back than the main pool.

For food, my husband and I enjoyed many of the restaurants including La Toc, Armandos, Kimonos, the Pavillion for lunch and breakfast. Our favorites were Soy (thanks Chef!!!) and Pitons (the Conch Fritters and Surf & Turf are to die for!). While it is true portions are smaller compared to those in the US, you can always order more! After dinner we typically went up to Cricketers where Jeremiah and Gibson were always a hoot!

If you are looking for a resort that is upbeat, welcoming, beautiful and fun, La Toc is the place to be! We are so glad that we were able to make this second trip! If you have any questions about this resort, please don't hesitate to message me!

Room Tip: Two story walkout butler suites are centrally located between the main pool and the bluff, just the...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank A_Ludes87
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Let me start off by saying that choosing to go to Sandals was a completely random thought my boyfriend had (that's right, we aren't honeymooners!) and I'm so glad he did. We have never stayed at a Sandals resort or any all-inclusive resort, so we have nothing to compare our experience to. However, I truly have no {substantial} complaints.

We chose La Toc because it was in the middle range of prices between the 3 St. Lucia Sandals resorts. We were on the 5th floor out of 7, in a tall building behind the main building, and we faced the ocean. For a lower priced room (Emerald Honeymoon Ocean Front), I have not a single complaint about the room or view. No one treats you any differently for not having a butler or paying for a pricey room. There is a screened opening in the bathroom acting as a vent, and you will hear chirping frogs often because of it, but it isn't bothersome as long as you keep the bathroom door closed.

I read many many reviews once we chose La Toc and I almost wish I hadn't. Let give you such a preconceived idea of what to expect, when your experience may be totally different. I read about rude or unhappy staff, and I didn't experience that once. Every single worker there, regardless of title, always had a smile and spoke to us. Jemmilee in the gift shop was our favorite. Being from New Orleans, we like to talk and shoot the bull, and she was a wonderful friend to have there. She told us so much about the local customs (Carnival was happening when we were there) and way of life there that we wouldn't have known otherwise. Christopher, a bartender you'll see everywhere, works his tail off and will remember you. Luverlee and Elisha in the resort shop were also very kind & helpful. Matteo, the Maitre d' at Armando's, was spectacular. A true Italian gentleman who wants you make sure your experience is one to remember. Those are just a few of the amazing staff members we came across.

As far as food, every place is limited by day or time that it's open, but you'll never go hungry. Definitely make a reservation at the two restaurants that require them because the experience of Kimono's is a must and the food at La Toc is top notch. Armando's was our favorite out of everything. The bolognese and alfredo, though simple dishes, were worth going back for a few times.

Excursions: if you have the time, go do them! That island is beautiful if you choose to venture out. We only did Joe Knows and everyone will tell you it's the best, and it is. JJ's Cruiser has the equivalent tour. Both are offered at the resort. It's a combo package you can't miss out on. We also did the helicopter ride back to the airport upon our departure. It's $200pp and was the highlight of our entire trip. If you choose to take the car or bus, which we did when we arrived, plan for it to be around an hour or more and also plan for a stomach ache! Those twisting, narrow roads were my only complaint during my entire stay.

If you want to relax, it will happen here! We had no problems getting a pool chair without butlers, so we faced the beach and soaked up the breeze the majority of our trip. We also hung out in the hammocks a lot. The other 2 pools are quite peaceful if you want to get away from the bustle of the main pool for a day or 2. We are a couple in our mid-20s and we love to party, but the quite time away from all the action was very appreciated.

I'll leave on one last note-- put your wallet away until you close out your bill in the end. You won't need it and that was a JOY! We paid $2/day for tourism fees to fix their roads and of course we also paid for our few souvenirs & excursions, but otherwise, no money was needed. That's what I call a VACATION. Enjoy!

7 Thank Mallory T
Kernersville, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We had never stayed at a Sandals Resort till now. It was fabulous! The staff was awesome and the staff always had some kind of activities for everyone to do if they want to join in. We were so impressed that we have already booked at vacation for next year at the Sandals resort in Ocha Rios Jamaica. If the staff there is half as good as the staff at the Regency I am sure we will have a blast. We also enjoyed not having to put up with kids running around and screaming. I love children and work with children but when on vacation sometimes it is just nice to not have to put up with the noise.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank SWEETSNOWBALL2
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We recently went to La Toc for our honeymoon and stayed in a 2 story veranda suite with a butler. We had a good time, however it was spoiled by a few things. The pros of the resort are the great views, good restaurants and food, great service by our butlers (Ronald and Garvey), 2 pools, and the ability to also use the amenities at Halcyon and Grande. We liked the more secluded feel of La Toc for our honeymoon.

The main problem we had was the handling of the issue of our water turning mud brown for nearly 24 hours. Apparently a pipe burst serving our suite turning our sink, bath and toilet water brown one evening while we were getting ready for dinner. My husband and I were/are completely understanding that things like this can happen on an island. What we were not pleased with was the handling of this issue. We called the front desk immediately and were not told of what happened but were told that they would call us back as soon as they knew more. More than 20 minutes passed and we did not receive a call. We called the front desk again and were told to let the water run and it would clear up. We let the water run for nearly a half hour without any change. Again we called and were told just to let the water run. We continued to do this without any change. After over an hour we just decided to go to dinner without showering after being on the beach and in the ocean all day. After we got home late that night the water was STILL brown. We let it run for a while longer and went to sleep. Upon waking up we ran the water again with no change. We finally decided to go to the front desk and the finally offered us an unused room to shower and brush our teeth over 12 hours after the water turning brown. We had a trip planned for the morning so we were told to go on the trip and check the water again when we got back. Upon returning the water still had a slight tinge to it. We were then offered an upgraded room over 24 hours of not having usable water in the room. The room was only an upgrade due to the location being on the Sunset Bluff with the room we paid for being nicer and more convenient in my opinion. However we agreed to change rooms to have working water. Luckily while we were packing and continuing to let the water run it cleared up and we stayed in our room rather than going through packing all our stuff and moving. We complained to the guest service manager, Victor, regarding the handling of this issue and NEVER being called back by the front desk and not being offered any clean water until 12 hours after the issue. Mind you it was not the whole resort but only one or two suites that had this problem so it should have easily been handled better. Victor ensured us that he would make up for it, however we never heard from him again. The front desk wrote down my e-mail and almost 2 weeks later we have never heard from them. It appears that having "no worries" and "we'll take care of everything" like they tell the guests with a butler suite only goes so far as having a drink in your hand and not handling any actual issues or problems that occur. Our butlers tried to help us and also kept calling the front desk for us but clearly this was out of their hands. Other things with the room that weren't a big deal but weren't great for the money was that the air conditioning and wi-fi didn't work well in the upstairs portion of the room.

Also our flight was delayed by a few hours and even though we paid for private transfer and our driver told us he could come back for us the resort said we had to leave and go to the airport and wait there. So we waited in plastic chairs rather than waiting in the resort lobby or by the pool.

I can say that after the handling of that issue I would probably not stay at La Toc again and would be hesitant to stay at a Sandals at all. Which is a shame because there were a lot of nice things that were overshadowed.

Room Tip: The 2 story veranda suite has a walk up balcony which means it is accessible to the cats that roam t...
4 Thank Lauren S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!