“Wedding and Honeymoon”

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
“Wedding and Honeymoon”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

A very long story short......IT WAS MAGNIFICIENT!!! We got Married on 11-12-13 and there were 7 other couples getting married the same day all within an hour of each other and I have to say the resort did an amazing job at keeping us all separated. I never saw one other couple. And I have to say I would have been bummed if I did. They made me feel special and as if I was the only bride on the island. the people were amazing and the food was great. I read so many reviews that bashed the food. I have no idea what is wrong with those peoples taste buds because we loved the food. The room was amazing the employees were amazing. The only thing I can complain about was the shower. I didn't like that the shower is half glass door so when you shower your floor gets soaked and I hate stepping on a wet floor. That's my only complaint.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank michi r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,833)
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

It's almost difficult to write about Sandals La Toc because it was the PERFECT place for a honeymoon. We stayed in one of the honeymoon suites with a private plunge pool. The room was perfect for relaxing and everything else one does on a honeymoon...The patio by our pool was a wonderful place to sit and spend time together. We had breakfast there everyone morning but one. Everyone wants to know about the butler service. It was definitely nice and they did great work for us. You could enjoy La Toc fully without it, but with the butlers you don't worry about anything. Call your butler and they'll take care of it. We had two butlers and a third who filled in for them on a night off and it's customary to tip them, so take that into consideration.

I could easily write 5,000 words about La Toc, so here are some tips:

*The ocean around La Toc is fairly rough. The entire week we stayed in January the flags were never changed to indicate it was safe to swim. I still went out a few times during low tide and it was still a full body work out. Also the waves build up fast, I saw more than one person get taken out when they thought they were playing in low surf. If you're going to attempt to go in the ocean here be ready to swim hard and don't go alone.

*As with above, because the ocean is so rough it's nearly impossible to do any of the water sports at La Toc. If you want to go snorkeling or kayaking or any of the other things they offer, you should try Sandals Grande on the northern part of the island. It's on a bay so the water is very calm. If, however, you are a golfer, La Toc has a wonderful golf course.

*There is a free shuttle to take you to the other two Sandals for free, so if you're heart is set on La Toc but you want to do water sports you can still go to the Grande via the transfer

*The restaurants at La Toc are really fantastic, Neptune's was our favorite. The Pub is really great too and it's open super late. When you arrive they'll tell you about the Italian restaurant on the hill, but it's not as good as some of the others (you should still go because the ocean views are amazing).

*Also, there is a pool up there on the hill by the millionaire suits. It's smaller so you need to get up there early for chairs, but it's worth it. It has it's own swim-up bar, pool tables and exercise room, the views are spectacular and most people won't even realize it's there so the crowd around it is much smaller.

*The plunge pool was a neat addition but the honeymoon rooms are in a garden that keeps the pools shaded throughout the day, so they are almost always cold

*As with anywhere get to the pool early for the best seats. It's chilly in the morning but nice in the afternoon.

*The butlers reserve seats at the pool by twisting towels to look like the guests' room numbers, so if you see one, don't move it, that happened to us.

*It's going to rain. Everyday. No, seriously, everyday. It's going to rain for 3-12 minutes and then stop. Don't run from the pool, but hang out, it'll pass.

La Toc was fantastic, it's beautiful and big enough to do lots of different things. It's also built in such a way that it's peaceful enough to feel like you're alone with your new spouse on your honeymoon. It's expensive but it's worth it. Have your honeymoon here!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank jpritchard110
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We just got back from an amazing anniversary trip! We arrived in St Lucia on Saturday the 16th, the airport is pretty small and all the airlines arrive pretty much at the same time so getting through customs takes some time which is no big deal. Once through customs we were taken to the Sandals lounge, since everyone arrives at the same time it's pretty packed. They offered a private transfer upgrade for $85 cash and you leave right away, it's not in a luxury car however they are still nice sedans. The road to Castries is very windy and if you are prone to car sickness you will want to take dramamine. It didn't seem to take as long as I thought it would, but maybe it was due to me sleeping so I wouldn't get car sick.

Upon arrival to the resort we were taken to the butler lounge and given a nice cold towel, which was refreshing after the car ride, a glass of rum punch and a couple appetizers. We were greeted by our relief butler, Livester. He took us to our room which was the Hideaway honeymoon villa with plunge pool and went over our dining reservations for the week. We had champagne and a cheese and fruit tray waiting for us. It was absolutely wonderful. Saturday night we went to Soy and sat at the sushi bar and started talking to the chef. Before we knew it he started passing us plates of his specialty sushi rolls. Everything was amazing! Beware of the Samari Sword, it's a saki shot with the west India habanera hot sauce. My husband can eat all things hot, well this one knocked his socks off.

We were pretty tired after dinner so we went back to our room and enjoyed our pool and called it a night early. I've read previous reviews about the pool being cold, we thought it was perfect after the hot sun.

We met our butlers, Combie and Kayson, on Sunday. They were amazing! Combie took us on a tour of the resort and made sure I had tomato juice for my Bloody Marys for the morning. But beware when you ask for hot sauce it's the habanero sauce. So the bloody marys weren't as good as my normal ones so I stuck with my mimosa in the morning. During our stay we had a chance to also meet Roger, Don and Gilbert, if Kayson or Combie were tied up with other guests they made sure they had one of these guys take care of us. The entire butler staff at the lounge are so friendly, heck all the staff we met during our stay was amazing.

There was a running joke with Combie and Kayson, they were our own personal beetlejuice. Every time we mentioned their name they showed up. They made sure we had a lounge chair at the main pool every morning and brought us lunch whenever we asked. Make sure if you do have your butler save you a lounge chair that you claim by 10 am, otherwise you will lose it.

We ate at all the restaurants, and I think my favorite was Armando's. But beware you will get a TON of food! If you leave any of the restaurants hungry, it's really your own fault. You can order as much or as little as you want. We didn't have a bad meal the entire time we were there. They made sure to ask about food allergies before every meal, I have an issue with Scallops and they always made sure to tell me what seafood dishes to avoid. The Pavillion is tapas at night except Saturday which is Steak night, Wednesday they are closed for the return guest dinner (which was awesome) and Friday is closed for the street party. It rained that night so they moved the street party to the Pavillion, the food was amazing.

During the day we hung out at the main pool, John and Miguel were the bartenders and were great! They always knew that in the morning my husband drank rum and coke and in the afternoon he switched to beer. We met a lot of great people. I would say 95% of the couples were on their honeymoon, once they found out we were celebrating our 16 year anniversary they asked us the secret for a long and happy marriage. We don't usually go on tours but this year we did the Joe Knows on Friday for our anniversary. OMG, it was so much fun, we had JR as our tour guide. The ride back to the resort after lunch and snorkeling was so much fun, you can drink as much or as little rum punch as you want. They don't force you to drink if you don't want to. OH, make sure if you go to either wear a swimsuit that you don't care to ruin or wear black, the mud bath with turn your swimsuit a nasty gray color.

When we returned back to the resort from the Joe Knows tour we went back to our room and our Butlers had it all decorated for our anniversary. They had the chef make us a cake, it was red velvet...YUMMY! They also had a bottle of champagne chilling for us and our cheese and fruit platters.

We had a spa credit, so we took advantage of that. And we went to the piano bar a couple nights and sang along. Cricketers was really quiet most nights, not like at other resorts. They did have karaoke one night which was fun. We can't really talk about the nightly entertainment, other than it was at the Pavillion instead of at the ampatheater like other resorts.
You can pick up a daily news that will tell you what is happening at all 3 resorts every day, so if you want to head to other resorts you can. We went too the Grande one morning so I could get a crepe, the ride wasn't as long as I had read about.

If you are prone to mosquito bites, make sure to bring insect repellant. Also, if you have a hard time with hills, make sure to use the shuttle that runs from the main lobby to the butler lounge every 5 to 10 minutes or if you have a butler take advantage of them.

We also want to give a shout out to the interns Pranav (I hope I spelled his name correctly) and Phillip. They did a grate job.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sheila R
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2014

After comparing the different room options of all the Sandals resorts we decided the best price for a room with a private pool and ocean view was the "Sunset Bluff Oceanfront Two Story One Bedroom Butler Villa Suite with Private Pool" (http://www.sandals.com/main/lucia/lu-accommodations/). It did not disappoint. The room is well air conditioned and a comfortable retreat from the balmy temperature of the private deck. A quick visit to the sandals website will show you pictures of the room which are, of course, quite accurate however our room (807) was beginning to show its age.

Getting to/from the resort
The resort is apparently 1.5-2 hours from the airport. Many guests we talked to told us how windy and long the trip was. Most described feeling car sick and afraid because of the crazy driving. We chose to take a helicopter both ways, 13 minutes in the air and then a 15 minute car ride. This was very much worth it to us and an amazing experience! The pilot gives a mini island tour pointing out major landmarks (pitons, volcano, banana farms, etc.)

Resort layout
It is on a big hill. Our room was located at "the top" and as you walked down you passed Armondoas restaurant (essentially right next door) and one of the swim up pools, then kimonos and Soy, followed by pitons and what I would consider the quiet pool, at which point you can keep walking down the road or switch to the path that snakes along the beach. Along this path you find the private cabanas ($) and hammocks. You will pass through neptunes and the pizza place to finally end at the "bottom" at the main large pool and the main buffet restaurant the pavilion. This area has the other two restaurants La Toc and the English pub along with the souvenir shops (2) the photo shop, jewelry shop, golf course and the water sports shop.
There is a shuttle that runs up and down from the bottom to the top every 15 minutes or so. It will drop you of anywhere along the way as well if you ask. We chose to walk it 99% of the time and it took about 5-10 minutes. You can also arrange for your butler to take you in a golf cart but this is not possible with all the butlers so you have to ask.
Your butler will take you on a tour of the resort when you arrive, we did see groups of people getting a tour as well, not sure if you get to choose when those happen in the lower level rooms.
It is a stunning resort, very well kept!

The Pool/Private Deck
Great size for dunking in for a quick cool off or floating in to catch some rays. Sandals does have some foam floaty beds at the main pools you can sneak back to your room, we brought a 7$ blow up one from walmart which did the trick. From about 12pm on our deck was in full sun as the sun continued on its route to set in the bay I front of us (hence sunset bluff). An option is to have your butler reserve you lounge chairs of your choice on the pool deck or beach, and while we did venture down to those areas we preferred to quiet and privacy of our deck and did not make use of that service.

The room
Having two levels was very convenient for us as my husband and I go to bed at different times usually. I conked out around 11 every night while he stayed up until 1am. The separation allowed him to go about his business without disturbing me (there is a tv upstairs in the bedroom and downstairs in the living room. Access to the deck area comes off the living room and can be a bit noises when entering/exiting). Again in he morning is was convenient as the first person up wouldn't disturb the other. The only thing I would caution is that the stairs are quite steep so some travelers may prefer the similar one level rooms (they are in a slightly different area so I cannot comment on the view).
The mini bar fridge comes stalked with juices, pop, beer and white wine and your private bar has rum, vodka, gin and tequila. You can request more or less of whatever you wish. For an additional fee there is access to additional wines however their "house" wines were quite adequate. There is also a cooler located under the sink to use when you venture down to the beach to keep your drinks cold (we found this out from another couple as this was not a place we thought to look)

Restaurants/Food
With out breaking it down by restaurant I will say that overall the food here was top notch. If you have a butler they will make all your reservations for you (this happens before you get there so if there is a time you don't like just ask them to switch it for you) otherwise when you get to the resort you need to make your own reservations. You can visit the same restaurant every night if you'd like or try a different one each night it is your choice which is awesome as most all inclusive a limit your number of reservations.
There is one "butler only" restaurant over at the Grande which you will be booked at if you are a butler guest or you can pay to go to it (I am not sure of the price). The ambiance is just amazing. Make sure you request a table along the water though otherwise you are missing out. The food is very good but the service was very "oh you're here? Fine... I suppose I will serve you...". May have just been an off night for them but we still greatly enjoyed dining under the stars over the water.

Beach/Water Sports
Other reviews talk about the beach being bad however we loved it! It isn't as big as the other resorts but while we were there it wasn't crowded at all. The waves can be big and this does prevent water sports (hobie cats, windsurfing, paddle boards, kayaks, snorkeling) from being allowed, this is on red flag days of which we had 2. Yellow flag days predominated which allowed water sports but was a bit rough, I was happy to have hubbie in the kayak with me, he did most of the work. We had one green flag day that was very calm.
Red flag days are still a lot of fun! Playing in the waves was actually a highlight for us and several other couples we talked to.
Everyday at 8am and on Mondays and Saturdays at 1pm you can sign up for a free snorkeling trip that takes you out by boat to a little cove and rock bridge to see bright fish, coral, sea urchins, sand dollars. We ONLY found out about this because we overheard another couple discussing it. It was very fun.

Stay at 1 play at 3
The halcyon is a 15 minute drive from La Toc. We did not do anything at this resort except pick up some fellow travelers for the horseback riding excursion. The Grande is an additional 15 minutes beyond that. We had dinner there (Gordon's) but heard from other couples it was a fun place to go for nightlife. The shuttles go every 2 hours or so between resorts. It seemed like a hassle to us so it wasn't something we took advantage of but we aren't big party people.

The Butlers
Having a butler was very convenient however you will find that there is a wait with requests as your "private butler" has many other rooms they are serving. So if you're looking to get a drink and you want it ASAP you should just get up and get it yourself but if an hour or so is no big deal give the butler a call, may as well throw a pizza in for good measure, you'll probably be hungry by then.
They do a great job of organizing dinner, excursions and seats by the pool/beach and helicopter transfers. Mix ups happen and breakfast was an hour late one morning and our private dinner on the deck as an hour and a half late and cold but I still would not visit a sandals without a butler.

The 65% of sale seems to happen every other week so don't book with out it and don't panic thinking the clock has almost run out. We actually booked through air canada vacations which gave us the same price for the resort but a better deal on flights!

We had a great time here an hope you do too!

Room Tip: Two story butler rooms have a perfect view of the sunset, full sun all after noon and are very quiet...
Morgantown, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My husband and I got back from our honeymoon just a couple weeks ago and we cannot wait to go back! The views are spectacular, the people are incredible, food was delicious, and the whole experience was perfect. Our favorite excursion was Joe Knows (but be prepared to DRINK and make sure to have water proof sun block- my sunblock ran into my eyes throughout the boat ride back and I didn't get to have half the fun everyone else did because I could barely see), but the Cultural and Heritage tour was wonderful and Snuba was a must-have experience, too! The resort is full of honeymooners this time of year, which was a pleasant surprise!

Some tips:
DO visit the other resorts on the island! Kelly's Dockside at Halcyon is FANTASTIC. Make sure to get a 6:30 reservation so you can enjoy the sunset over the dock. If you have a butler room, do everything you can to get into Gordon's for dinner. Hands down best dinner ever and BEST waiter in the world. JC was hilarious, very punctual, and a great person to just chat with. He made sure to make our honeymoon and my birthday dinner special. We also got to ask him a lot about living in St. Lucia and he was very informative. Ask for JC as your server if you're in the mood for a cheerful, interesting server!

DO ask for Titus and Laban as your butlers. Loved them! They were incredibly friendly and really made the experience special for us. They even rescued us when we got stranded in a storm across the resort during a downpour. All those little moments, from white tablecloth room service to dinner escort, to reservations (and changes... THANK YOU!), to advice were all incredibly appreciated. THANK YOU to Titus and Laban.

DO go to the Piano Bar when Lee is performing! He was our favorite entertainer. He and Lucas, the bartender, were a fantastic duo. The other guy at the piano bar was nice, but Lee's show was superb. The whole bar was singing, laughing, and having a blast. It became our regular nighttime hangout!

DO use bug spray. While my husband didn't get bit at all (lucky!!), whenever I went outside without spray, I was eaten alive.

DON'T hesitate to ask for anything, whether it's information or help or whatever you need. The staff is so accommodating and professional, you'd be surprised what can happen when you just ask!

Room Tip: We got lucky- a recently renovated room had been upgraded to Butler class, but they kept the price a...
3 Thank Carisa C
Luton
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We have just returned from 10 days at Sandals La Toc in St. Lucia and have had the most amazing time. We were celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary and are so pleased that we chose to visit our first Sandals resort and our first all inclusive. To keep things short, from the moment we arrived we were made to feel special, being greeted with a cool towel and welcome drink, everyone we met was friendly and couldn't do enough for us. We stayed in room 358 on the third floor Emerald Suites and had an ocean front room, very comfortable and had everything we needed. There was a great choice of restaurants, evening entertainment, amazing pool (cocktails at the pool bar are delicious!) and a beautiful beach. We chose to book a catamaran trip to visit the volcano, waterfall and see the Pitons, all booked at the desk within the reception area and great fun. All the staff were polite and helpful, special thanks to Tracy on reception for always sorting out our queries with a smile. The 'Photo Shop' photographers are around to take lots of pictures, we especially loved the pictures that Karen took as she had good attention to detail. Overall, this has been one of the best holidays we have taken, you do not need a butler suite to have an amazing time, we didn't, and still felt pampered and spoilt. Thank you to everyone at La Toc for an amazing time.

Room Tip: Worth paying a little extra for an ocean front room.
4 Thank TheHattersLuton
Reviewed 23 August 2014

My husband and I just returned from our Honeymoon! It started with our room AC not working well so Jazelle at the front desk fixed it and put us in a new room! We were greeted everyday at the pool bar by John who was ALWAYS friendly and smiling! Fernella at the pool deck was also amazing! She was friendly! Hilarious! And took special care of us! We then soon meet some amazing playmakers! Niecer ( so funny) Elkanah (our tour guide/and amazing singer) Yannick (crazy fun) and Ron (always so happy and friendly)- we loved them! They made our week amazing! They knew our names and always spoke! They made us feel like we were the only guest there :) there are just not enough words to explain Nathalie (cricketers pub)! She was beyond amazing! We miss her already! She was by far the nicest/genuine person in all the restaurants! She was always smiling and laughing with us! From the moment she served us we fell in love with her! She always took the BEST care of us and made us feel welcomed and not bothersome! Le Toc definitely needs more people like her!!! She will forever be in our hearts! Thank you Nathalie for everything! We also had the pleasure of meeting Markel from Joe Knows! He was beyond amazing as well! He and Nat made our vacation! He was friendly- real and just simply amazing! Joe Knows was def. our favorite part of the week! While we meet some amazing people like the above- that unfortunately did not ring true for the whole overall experience! Sandals has a reputation of being above the rest but we did not feel that in all aspects! Some employees were rude and unfriendly! They seemed as if we (as a whole group) were annoying them! We did not feel catered to or even cares about! Some did not know our names nor care to find out! Hopefully, management will acknowledge these individuals that did and strive to have a resort that is filled with the above peoples attitudes and spirits! My husband and I are unsure if we will ever attend Sandals again but if we do-it's because of these few! Thank you again Nathalie, Fernella, Markel, John, Jazelle, Niecer, Elkanah, Yannick and Ron!

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Agmcgirt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!