“WOW”

Sandals Regency La Toc
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 2 April 2009

What can I say. This is a first class resort. We arrived without our luggage but the resort did their best to help us get along til it arrived. The accommodations were first class also. The facilities offer a lot to do all day long with nightly entertainment every night, all included, no extra charges, truly an all-inclusive resort. As a certified diver I was able to enjoy one dive but the opportunity for more dives was available. The beach at the resort was always nicely groomed and clean. The short 9 hole golf course was a great way to spend a morning or afternoon without taking up a whole day or golf all day. Our caddy, Nivel, was outstanding. My wife golfed for the very first time and he was the most patient teacher I or my wife could have asked for. Another challenge for the resort was our fairly large group of 10 people. By this I mean setting up tables so we could dine together and just the overall great care that was exercised to insure our trip was a memorable one.

2  Thank mokefireman

Reviewed 1 April 2009

My husband and I spent 5 days at the Sandals Regency in mid March. We couldn't improve on anything unless it was to add more days to our trip.
We were picked up at the airport in a nice Toyota van. We had dramamine with us (reading the other reviews) for the ride, but we didn't have any problems. The drive is an hour but very interesting to see banana treesetc and how the local people live.
The resort staff was friendly, always available but never "in-your-face". We were warmly welcomed when we arrived and personally taken to our room.
When I asked, I was told that Jan and Feb were the most crowded months but mid March was perfect. We never waited to get into the restaurants. Reservations are required for Kimono (Japanese) and La Toc (French) but not the others. If you want to eat at LaToc, sign up right away -- it is in high demand and people come from the Grand, it's that good. Food everywhere we ate was very good (but not gourmet great) although we didn't try La Toc because we wanted to do other things we couldn't do at home (ie, ocean, beach, beautiful pools).
Assistance was quick any time we needed it (only once): We had a brief problem understanding the room thermostat, called the operator, and they had someone there within 15 minutes (I don't know if they could do that in all the buildings, but I was pleased).
We especially liked the all-inclusive aspect of never having to carry money, tip, etc.
My husband said the Piton (local) beer was "just OK". They also had Heineken on tap but he said it tasted like it was a lighter version. I had one pina colada and it was not strong but I had every confidence that they would have accomodated my request to make it stronger or any way I wanted. We are mostly beer and wine drinkers and thought the house Beringer wines served were just fine for us.
We took the shuttle to the Halcyon and ate at The Pier restaurant one night --- lovely setting, OK food. The Halcyon was much smaller and the average guest age seemed older. I'm glad we chose the Regency -- more spread out, places to wander, more to do.
You can also take the shuttle a little farther to the Grand but we had limited time on our trip so decided to stay put at The Regency.
We worked out one afternoon in the small gym --- very clean with bottled water and clean towels plentiful as well as a staff person present.
If we had had one more day we would have taken one of the rainforest excursions. Another couple we met said it was great, albeit pricey, but well worth it and very educational. Next time..... My husband did go on a deep sea fishing excursion. He loves to fish.
We didn't go into Castries or shop, so can't comment on that. A couple we met had paid a private van driver ($200?) to drive them around the entire island for 6 hours. They got a personalized tour out of it and stopped at a few places of interest ---- a good idea for seeing more of this beautiful island.
Sunsets were gorgeous. Our weather was perfect - it rained very briefly each afternoon but "no pressure, no problem!" Beach was small but adequate. We could walk the length of it in 10 min, but that was enough --- we went swimming in the ocean and pool, lied in the sun and read our books. We took a sea kayak out one day. There wasn't very far to go, but we still enjoyed it. The staff would give you basic sail lessons on a catamaran, if you want. We were lucky to have calm seas but I hear that's not always the case.
We booked a basic room but were upgraded to near the main pool with a small balcony (maybe because we were first timers?). I was concerned it would be too noisy, but it wasn't at all. Entertainment (music/noise) stops at 11 pm. It was also convenient to be able to dash from our room down to the bar for a beer (wouldn't have been possible with our initial room in another building).
We enjoyed all the nightly entertainment and Cowboy Eddie at The Arizona (karioke but he is amazing how he changes his style to fit each song)
There was a good mix of ages from young honeymooners to middleagers (like us) and a few seniors. Other guests were friendly and chatty. VERY RELAXING place. Their theme is: "No Pressure!"
The resort is hilly but there are shuttle buses within a few minutes wait. We are in good health and walked up the hill to Armandos (Italian) and the second pool without any complaints -- but the shuttles are plentiful and certainly an option.
With good weather, you can't go wrong with this lovely Sandals resort. First class --- we'd go back in a heartbeat!

4  Thank wilaray
Reviewed 31 March 2009

We just arrived back from Regency La Toc on 3/29/09 with our family, all 10 of us!
Thank you Jeremy for your exceptional resort!
When we arrived, the rooms we wanted were arranged. Unfortunately, our luggage did not make the trip with us, but Martina arranged a lovely goody bag for us to get by with until our bags arrived.
The rooms were wonderful, roomy and comfortable. The patio was the perfect place for morning coffee or an afternoon cocktail or just to hang out.
Martina, so helpful, caring! Arranged our meals so that we could all eat together. Armando’s was great. We loved the antipasto bar as well as our dinner. Also had breakfast and saw the lovely Charmaine and Keisha, such a treat! La Toc was lovely- Melissa was such fun. The Crème Brulee was to die for!!!! The Pitons were delicious and the birthday cake was such a great surprise for our friend. Cowboy Eddie at the Arizona had us all up and dancing with Donalyn. Omanny in the Pavilion was always a bright face and full of kindness. Dinners here were yummy, who would think there would be Chicken Pot Pie and Ravioli!!! Verina, Clerowa and the other playmakers had us laughing, dancing and always visiting us at our corner. Even dancing with the Grandpa of the group!! What a joy to see them each day. Ian, thank you for all your attention on our boat trip. Marigot Bay was lovely.
Ryan. There are no words to express our thanks and love for all you did. Your smile and kindness made every day such a joy. Even superglue to fix a broken shoe! We could go on and on, but it would be like a novel! Thank you for your special surprise at the airport.
We will return as soon as possible to our paradise.

Reviewed 31 March 2009

Arrived back from Regency La Toc on 3/29/09, party of 10. WOW!!!!!
Thank you Jeremy for your outstanding resort!
Upon arrival, the perfect rooms were arranged. Unfortunately, our luggage did not make the trip with us, but Martina arranged a lovely goody bag for us to get by with until our bags arrived.
The rooms were wonderful, roomy and comfortable. The patio was the perfect place for morning coffee or an afternoon cocktail.
Martina, so amazing! Arranged our dinners so that we could all eat together. Armando’s was great. We loved the antipasto bar as well as our dinner. La Toc was lovely- Melissa was such fun. The Pitons were delicious and the birthday cake was such a great surprise for our friend. Cowboy Eddie at the Arizona had us all up and dancing with Donalyn. Omany in the Pavilion was always a bright face and full of kindness. Dinners here were yummy. Verina, Clerowa and the other playmakers had us laughing, dancing and always visiting us at our corner. What a joy to see them each day. Ian, thank you for all your attention on our boat trip.
Ryan. There are no words to express our thanks and love for all you did. Your smile and kindness made every day such a joy. Even superglue to fix a broken shoe! Thank you for your special treat for Mom and Dad – what a surprise.
We could go on and on, but it would be like a novel!
We will return as soon as possible to our paradise.

1  Thank NM1
Reviewed 30 March 2009

My fiancee and I were totally stressed with work and other issues so needed this vacation badly. Our experience was a great one. Upon arriving, we were given an orientation by Glenda the "Playmaker", who was funny, pleasant, and very helpful.

I'll start with the accomodations: the room was fine for us. I got one of the "Premium Honeymoon Suites", which was on the 3rd floor and faced the spa and golf course. We don't spend alot of time in our room and were completely satisfied with the room, its cleanliness, and the location (although I have to admit to some jealousy when I saw the facilities at "Sunset Bluff"). The maid was pleasant and the room was very clean.

The weather was awesome. It was raining when we arrived and I was worried that this would continue throughout our vacation, but it was primarily beautiful the whole week with the exception of one overcast day.

The activities - we dive and the diving was so-so. Unfortunately I've been diving to some really fantastic places so was not that impressed, but my fiancee liked it more. Visibiliity was poor but the dive masters were very attentive and made the best of it. We also took the canopy tour and it was a BLAST!! Chris was our guide and he was funny, very informative in the history, etc., of St. Lucia, and just plain great. Loved it.

Nightlife was pretty good (we've been to Secrets in the Dominican Republic and boy, was that awful). We aren't night club types, being in our forties, but do like activity and are very fit and young for our ages, so the activity was just right for us. One night they had casino night and that was a blast. They also had some rockin' bands (reggae and the drumming thing) and they were very fun to watch. We really enjoyed the Caribbean fire show, the people were extremely talented, as were the local St. Lucian dancers who performed on another night. I have to admit I enjoyed the Bingo during the day at the pool and my fiancee played beach and pool volleyball regularly.

The spa was great. I had Tamra for all 5 of my treatments and she was terrific. At the end she would recommend products that I might be interested in but there was "no pressure, no problem" if I didn't want to purchase any (but I did anyway). I particularly recommend the tropical bliss massage and the facial. The scrub did wonders but was a little painful on my sunburned parts.

The food - mixed. We really liked Armandos, Piton, and Arizona. The Pavilion was terrific for breakfast and lunch, but the steak at dinner one night was tough as a bear hide. La Toc was highly overrated - while the appetizer and desserts were great, the main entrees were tough and overcooked. Our experience at Kimonos was a little weird. There was only one other couple to share a table with at first, as some people were no shows. So initially it was only 4 of us but then 2 other couples trickled in, so it became more fun. I liked the food except for the steak - again, really tough (although steak at Arizona's was perfectly cooked). The mahi-mahi and chicken were very tasty as was the rice. Overall we liked the food.

The staff - almost everyone was very nice and helpful. I loved Glenda and "Little John", the Playmakers, and most of the hotel staff, with the exception of the bartenders at the main bar, were very nice.

We loved the grounds, and although the resort needs a little updating (pointed out by my construction industry fiancee), I had no problem with it - thought it was beautiful and wouldn't hesitate to go there again. We already booked our vacation next year to another Sandals and I'm already looking forward to it!

2  Thank Badkitty13x
Reviewed 30 March 2009

We stayed at the Regency from 12th March to 27th March. After the long proceedure at the airport we were pleasantly surprised to find we had a private transfer to our hotel and the driver, Junior, was polite and well informed. On arrival we were greeted with champagne (sparkling wine) and cold towels which were very welcome. To our delight our room had been upgraded and when we saw it we were well impressed, as all the bad reviews I had read previously had us dreading what sort of standard of room we would be allocated. The room was cleaned each day and every evening our bed was turned down and our room checked again by Nancy who was so nice.
The purpose of our visit was to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary and we renewed our vows in a lovely gazebo overlooking the beach. We wanted it decorating with flowers and this cost 150 us which seemed a little steep but it looked beautiful.
The food was good in all the restaurants although sometimes in the Italian the service was a little poor, but it depended on which manager was on duty.
We had a private dinner on the beach served by Nigel who was excellent, very professional, friendly and knowledgable about the resort. The other member of staff who stood out for us was George, who worked the Arizona bar and the pool bar and he bought cocktails round on a trolley some days. He was a really friendly guy who gave us excellent service.
The wines served all inclusively were ok but the pinot grigio ran out on our second week and I didn't like the chardonay, also rose wine was not included which was a disappointment.
We made use of the shuttle to the other resorts and found this great. The Pier served us one of the best meals ever and the sevice was just right not too fast or too slow. We enjoy having a leisurely meal though some people complain how slow the service is, I say you are on holiday just chill out and relax! The Italian at the Grand was excellent also and the beach there was good too as you could swim in the sea there as it was much calmer. There have been many bad reviews on this hotel but I really don't understand some people's expectations. If we had a problem and reported it to management they were only too happy to rectify things for us. They decorated our bed with flower petals and made towel animals (Nancy did that) we had a complimentary gazebo dinner too. All in all we had an excellent holiday and wouldn't hesitate to return. Thank you Sandals for a great time and we are considering booking again for my husbands 50th Birthday in 2011, but we will probably try Jamaica this time for a change. If you are going soon don't listen to the bad reviews go with an open mind and enjoy. No pressure No Problem!!

3  Thank Lobow
Reviewed 28 March 2009

Well, what can we say? another fabulous time in paradise. this was our fourth time in a row at the Regency , and yes we have stayed at most other sandals as well. We love the Regency mainly because of the people. The St. Lucians are very warm and caring people once you show respect and take interest in their land. We have been treated like returning family by the staff as well as our drivers to and from the airport, that's you Wayne if you are reading this, we loved chilling at the Reef with you.

The Regency is our favorite spot of all the Sandals chain because it feels like a little european village. It's spread out and you have the party end by the pavillion with the main pool then a lovely walk up the hill to the bluff pool where it's a little more relaxed and quiet. We tend to stay there alot. One of the special treats about the Regency is that it has Armondo's an al a carte breakfast restaurant and at night a wonderfull italian .

We read quit alot of reviews about the Regency and frankly can't understand some of the negativity. We find it clean, there are always gardeners working where ever you turn and the staff have been fantastic with us. Yes, the food is not as high end as others we have been to, but , like anything else, you have to weight the good and the bad. The good far out weights the bad at this resort. The golf course is not a pro course but, how many do you know that you can walk off and two seconds later you are on the beach? Every time we return we are always stunned by the beauty of the views from the bluff.

This year was extra special in that we got to experience the amazing million dollar suites, these will be hard to beat no matter where we travel from now on. Sandals has reached a new high. It was a whole new adventure for us. To be able to share it with our friends Don and Sydney was also special , you guys make all our trips feel like we are back home in paradise.

This place is more than the food or that maybe you have one slow waiter here or there it is about the feeling of joy you are left with from the smells of the flowers ,watching the sunsets and getting to know the locals, is'nt that what travel is all about? by the way , we are thinking of coming back at x-mas see you soon....

3  Thank kathyanddanny
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc? Share your experiences!