“Amazing and romantic trip to Sandals Regency La Toc!”

Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Boston, Massachusetts
“Amazing and romantic trip to Sandals Regency La Toc!”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

We had read a lot of reviews before going to the Regency so we were a little nervous but definitely pleasantly surprised when we got there. I think that there is a large difference though between the service you receive with a regular room and with a honeymoon suite or a room with butler service. So, in essence you get what you pay for. Also, this is an island and there are bugs and animals so you will see them and sometimes in your room. If that bothers you, don't go to the Caribbean!

We upgraded to a 2 story oceanview villa with butler service the week before our trip and we are so glad we did! Clovis and Ferna were our butlers and they were really great! We had a fully stocked bar and champagne and snacks (cheese and crackers, cookies, dessert) whenever we wanted. The butler suites can also order room service 24 hours a day and we also got a private car transfer to and from the airport. The butlers made dinner reservations for us so we were able to get into the restaurants we wanted. They also reserved seats by the pool for us every day. However, when we went to the main pools the seats weren't even filled up by 10am. I think it depends on the time of year that you go.

The restaurants were good. La Toc was our favorite and Kimono's was really fun too. The Pavilion also had great buffet breakfasts and lunches and there were beach parties and a street party with a variety of local cuisine. We liked that all of the vegetables and fruit was really fresh. We saw reviews about people getting sick but we ate everything and were fine. Armando's was good for dinner but just ok for breakfast and lunch. Also, the drinks are awesome. We had a lot of champagne while we were there and the Dirty Banana drinks were great!

Also, we did the Joe Know's tour (sea trip) and had a great time! You can book it through the resort.

All in all, we had a really wonderful, romantic trip. This is definitely a great resort for couples who want to just get away and relax and that is exactly what we did!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sarahinthecity11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,804)
Sterling, Illinois
Reviewed 13 January 2011

I will never EVER go back to the Sandals Regency it was horrible. For the price we paid we were expecting so much more. Our room was the pits, there was dirt in the bathtub our curtain liner was broken and there were stains on the comforter. It was equivalent to a super 8 motel...I am not joking. The pictures are no were near what the resort actually looks like. The beach is very small we were there for a week and there were red flags every day except two days we were there. It was a horrible place for a honeymoon my husband and I could have paid like a quarter of what we paid and gone some place much nicer. Also don't be fooled by the tours we went on a Sugar to Rum tour and we were unable to go to the sugar plantation and the Rum distellery was CLOSED. NO one told us before we paid our money they wait until after we were already on our way. When we tired to deal with it we got nothing in return no refund no chance to use that money for another tour.. we have been back from our honeymoon and I am still trying to contact Sandals to find out why we were not refunded and no one was even in contact with us to even explain it to us.

If I were you I would not pay thousands of dollars to go to a Sandals resort there are many other inclusive places I would try those before trying a Sandals resort.

It was horrible the worse experience ever. And the customer service is even worse....horrible people. if you are smart don't travel to a sandals resort, I doubt many of them differ

2 Thank scude20_11
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 13 January 2011

My husband's brand new, leather cigar case ended up missing from a dresser drawer.

Eastern North Carolina, USA
Reviewed 12 January 2011

My wife and I have vacationed at the Sandals Regency 8 times over the past 5 years. We just returned from there last week. This resort property is beautiful. The staff is very friendly with no exceptions. The food in the many restrurants is way above adverage. And it is like having two resorts in one. The bluffs is for us older folks and the beach and grounds is more focused on the younger and honeymoon group. It is all inclusive with no exceptions except the spa treatment. Transportation to and from the airport is provide in the package. We will be returning in April.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaddySteve
Godfrey
Reviewed 11 January 2011

We had decided to bypass the family christmas this year. We wanted to get away from the cold weather and enjoy Christmas with diving and no worries! whew, how worng wer were. The plane ride only needed to have chickens and geese on board to make my journey a true third world ride. We rode in a three and three plane so no matter what you were sitting next to a stranger, and I drew the lucky straw. I got the lady nursing a baby. The only way it could have been worse was if the baby had a nicotine habit! Mama didn't have a bit of modesty, she just whipped it out from breast to breast to feed the baby...If this has been a date we got to third base! I wanted to ask the flight attendant to get a blanket, but hey...making her mad would only have made the trip longer.
When we got into our jitney, (can it really be dignified with the title of van?) we began a ride thru country side that was both beautiful and littered with the trash and shacks. The roads were washed out and almost gone in some cases. Bridges washed out, one lane on curves, keep your wits about you and pray no one is coming from the other direction.
When we got to the resort, it was beautiful and of course tropical, but guess what? We had reserved what is know as the 'Blue Villas' and unless you are capable of doing a minimim of 400 steps a day you are not going to be happy, yep, we counted them...98 steps ONE WAY each time you stepped out of your room. We asked to change, but due to the fact that the entire resort is built on the side of a mountain, you are just exchanging one agony for a different agony. We planned ahead when we left the room each day by filling my beach bag with everything we might need so that we didn't have to go back to the room for anything until we went to rest and change for dinner. Lucky for us they do include bellman service to take your bags to the room, otherwise they would have buried us the first day....whew.
The food is...okay, but on Christmas day my husband ate a chicken salad sandwich for lunch at 12:30 pm and by 6:00pm was vomiting and by 9:00pm, vomiting and bowel discomfort...ya hoo. you know what I mean. This was not a virus, or simple food poisioning....this was ecoli. He took four emodiums in days time and no effect was noticed. He had no temp...I went to the nurse and she just told us to do what I was already doing for my husband...fluids, and emodium. Here's a fun fact...no room service for the goat herders villas...I had to get a special exception from management to get some soup and sandwich delivered when my husband couldn't leave the room, cause believe me...packing food 98 steps is NOT something I was born to do. The day we left they did provide us with a private car to the airport...so I wll give them points for that. The staff was nice....but even ruling out the ecoli, some mention of the logistics of the stairs, stairs, stairs should be made on the resort site to at least let you know that unless you want to do the cardio vacation...book at another resort.
On another note...the trip includes the diving. Maybe it shouldn't. Because of the constant rain, the diving was crap, but we did get three days in, but the crew has a real sense of entitlement. I have been diving all over a good part of the world and most crews work for tips...since these guys get paid no matter what,...well is shows. The crew could have cared less about our dive or our safety. The guys on the boat were there to get in some personal dive time and to eat the food provided for the enjoyment of the guests, but was mostly eaten by the crew. Unless you were getting on or off the boat, they ignored the guests to joke or just have a good time amoung themselfves. We even got in a bit of a bad situation with a cross current and aborted the dive after 20 minutes and the dive leader was ....well he was there. That's the best that can be said. We spent alot on this resort and I would not , will not go there again.

California
Reviewed 10 January 2011

10 of us (4 adult children with spouses) went to the Regency LaToc with our parents for their 60th anniversary. Could not have been a more beautiful setting to celebrate!
The attention we received from the minute we arrived to the moment we boarded the van back to the airport was amazing.
We had a beautiful room at the top of the hill (yes, it is an incline for sure) but the shuttle runs continually, and the views from the rooms were incredible.
We ate at all the restaurants...Armando's had great Italian dinners but did not like the breakfast there. The Pavillion had the best overall meals and, if you are lucky you'll have Sophia and Marquis attend your table. Pitons and Neptunes were enjoyable - Cricketeers was a fun pub but my Shepards pie was lacking! The La Toc french restaurant was divine... we ate and drank for 2 hours... great service.
The beach had all the activities you'd expect but most days had "red flag" so water sports were limited. They did however have a shuttle over to the Grand (calmer water) where sailing, jet skis, snorkeling, etc. was available.
All the staff at LaToc could not have been more accommodating. This is a large resort but they make it feel very personable.
A special Thank You to Sven for making the Scuba Dives happen, Wolfgang for his ditermination in making sure we all enjoyed ourselves!!, and to Vincent, Xavier and Rico for your exceptional attention to anything asked.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank metroboys
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 January 2011

I visited the Regency around Christmas for my honeymoon. After looking at the first suite (which was moldy, muggy and stained), we upgraded to a bluff suite with a pool for an extra $1000. Overlooking the water-stained ceiling and dead insects in the room, it was much nicer than than our old room...until we noticed the huge red stain on our sheets! It took them 7 hours from the time we called for someone to change the sheets. Our new set was even filthier, covered in more red stains, black dots (which are signs of bedbugs. i didn't see any in our room so i'm praying we were safe, but who knows about the previous rooms those sheets were in!) and actual dirt and sand! Unacceptable. And this wasn't even our biggest complaint.

We were scheduled to go on the Soufriere Adventure cruise tour, but woke up to downpours that lasted all day. The hotel would not let us cancel our tour with a refund, so we were forced to reschedule. The next day we were scheduled to go ziplining, but both me and my husband woke up feeling sick to our stomach. However, the hotel STILL would not refund our money even though we were ill, so we toughened up and went ziplining so we wouldn't lose our money. Naturally, we both got sick on the tour and I could not finish the course because I kept vomiting. We went to the nurse first thing the next morning, which happened to be our rescheduled Soufriere Adventure Cruise tour. Once again, it was pouring rain and we were still feeling sick after spending the entire night throwing up. We tried to cancel our tour with a full refund, explaining we thought we had food poisoning and the rough seas would not help our situation. Once again, we were denied our refund but told if we saw the nurse we'd get maybe half our money back. We found it suspicious that as soon as we told the front desk we thought we had food poisoning, the lady insisted on speaking to the nurse before we could see her. As soon as the nurse was ready for us, she stated 'there is no food poisoning at this resort" before even asking us our symptoms or doing any tests. We were so upset that within the hour we changed our flight and ended our honeymoon early. We would rather risk flying in turbulent skies feeling nauseous than spend one more day at this place. the hotel said they'd send a shuttle to our room so we could make the last airport shuttle in 45 min. In true fashion, the shuttle never came and it took over 30 min for someone to come in an open cart in the rain to get us. Not only did we almost miss the shuttle but our luggage was drenched.

It's been almost 3 weeks, and not only have we not received our excursion refund we were promised, but we also noticed around $230 in random charges made a week after we left the resort. I've written multiple letters and called the resort multiple times, and I'm still in the process of trying to reach someone to help me out.

**Note: Other guests were getting sick at the resort. Also, guests who went on the Sourfriere Adventure Cruise told us that due to the hurricane, there is no longer a waterfall and the town of Sourfriere is devastated. The hotel will not tell you this and will say everything is fine and up and running. DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!