“Nice Property but try The Grand instead!”

Sandals Regency La Toc
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 7 February 2011

The Sandals Regency ( La Toc) is a very picturesque property. Staff were all very pleasant and accomodating. Rooms were not quite like depicted on the internet - ours was a little worn and could certainly use some TLC. For the cost of the suite, it was a little disappointing the suite wasn't a little 'fresh'. Overall cleanliness oft the suite would be 3.5 - linens and towels were always fresh but floors, private pool area could use general maintenance schedule.

Overall dining was fairly good - reasonable choice of restaurants and the sharing of properties enabled us to experience Gordon's at the Grand in St. Lucia - a wonderful experience.

Armondo's at the Regency should simply be shut down. The service is so poor and the quality of the food is mediocre (at best) - plenty of potential but again, an overhaul is necessary. We left after having no meals service (as did many others) When we brought it to the attention of the duty manager it was simply 'Ill have the waiter look into it...) Perhaps some new management?

On the plus side, they had some wonderful activities planned for many of the evenings that were very well executed (Beach BBQ and Street Party were great!).

Many of the people vacationing there complained of a lack of a 'bar' - somewhere you could dance that wasn't karaoke!

If you invest in the Butler service...use them! It was our first time with this type of service and it took a little getting used to. They were always available and ready to assist with any requests. many nights we returned to our room turned down, with candles, chanmpage, chocolates etc.

We would look at an all inclusive once again (after having been jaded by them years ago) based on the overall experience of the Regency (La Toc).

Reviewed 7 February 2011

Many of the hotel employees were rude and unhelpful. Wife and I both got horrible food poisoning. Closed the beach and main pool several times for photo shoot with only a days notice. Forced to move rooms during stay due to overbooking. Rooms smelled like a combo of pesticide and mildew. Dressers and cabinets broken. Housekeeping often did not provide face towels. Front desk hung up on my wife when we requested late stay due to severe food poisoning.

Reviewed 7 February 2011

I became very concerned about my tripafter reading the reviews for this hotel. The birds were sometimes present but they were never a bother a breakfast. The cats were around but never appeared to bother anyone. The food was excellent. I agree with the review regarding delays in meeting room quality. My phone wasn't working, the back patio door was extremely hard to lock, no wash cloths in restroom and the coffee was never replenished daily. After three days, I evidently spoke to the right person and 2 days later, everything was corrected. The room was nice. The hotel itself was lovely. The entertainment was fantastic. The staff was kind and courteous. The only other complaint was that they shut down the pool and beach area for two days to take pictures for their new brochure. They tried to be very accomodating but it was still bothersome that we weren't allowed to be on the beach for two of the 5 days we were there. There were not enough chairs to sit in at the beach or pool but if you walked around long enough you could find someone that was leaving. All in all I would take this trip again and I enjoyed the patio walkout honeymoon room. It would have been nicer if you could have received butler/concierge service in that room category. There was a definite class difference between the way you were treated on the lower levels and the quality of care on the hillside rooms.

Reviewed 7 February 2011

I am a travel agent and have hsd the opportunity to stay at many beautiful resorts.
I recently had the opportunity to stay at the Sandals Regency La Toc in St. Lucia.
At first, I was a little startled to see so many steps and inclines at this resort, but it didn't take long to settle in and really love this charming caribbean resort.
The resort is built into the mountainside, so it is very steep in some areas, but their are always shuttles to transport you back to the main area. This also affords the most exquisite views from the rooms that are situated further up the mountain.

We had a 2 story villa, the honeymoon oceanview. Large porch area, living room situated on the first floor with a fully stocked mini bar, flat screen tv, dining room table, sofa and chair and coffee table. Sliding glass doors that opened to the porch for an amazing view and breeze.
One flight up was our bedroom with another flat screen TV, bathroom and closet.

The pool areas are beautiful. The main pool area is right off the beach with a swim up bar.
their are 2 other main pool areas. One near the Caribbean restaurant, that is quite small with a Jacuzzi and another one further up on the bluff, directly below the Italian restaurant with a swim up bar as well.

Every restaurant was truly a culinary experience.
The main dining are (Pavilion) served buffet for breakfast and lunch and ala-carte for dinner. It opened at one end directly to views of the ocean and pool
The Italian restaurant is up on the bluff and boasts the most incredible view of the ocean and mountains! Open for lunch and dinner.
Neptune's is the seafood restaurant overlooking the beach. open for lunch and dinner.
Pitons, the Caribbean Restaurant, Kimonos-Japanese, La Toc-French restaurant.
Every single meal was truly amazing! I can honestly say this was the very best dining I have ever had at any all-inclusive resort anywhere.
There is entertainment at night throughout the resort. Many places for total privacy as well.
Shuttle service is available until 11 PM to take you to the other 2 Sandals resorts on the island.
The downside: so many steps and no handicap availability for guests.
The beach is very shallow and the water was a little rough here. Much better at the Grand St. Lucian.
I love the pool, so it was no problem for me.

I give this resort almost 5 stars.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TRAVELAGENTNY
Reviewed 7 February 2011

Sadly, I don't think I can give the Sandals La Toc (Regency) a five star review. I've given it two previous 5 star reviews, but in the two years since I've been there, its gone downhill a bit.

First off, we took the helicopter both there and back to the airport. Highly recommend it!

Room: Our room was apparently upgraded to a grand luxe oceanview room. The previous two times I've been here we've also been upgraded to this level but in the Soufriere tower. This time, we were beside the pool... possibly the worst rooms in my opinion. I don't consider this an upgrade. The rooms are all renovated which is nice, but if you like to sleep, this is not the spot to do it. The live music plays every night and its like you're trying to sleep in a night club. I had to use ear plugs for the first time in my life. I hate ear plugs - and you can still hear the pounding of the bass, but at least the ear plugs allow you to get to sleep eventually. The fridge in our room also had this horrible hum/vibration and once the music stopped at night I still couldn't take out my ear plugs because the vibration on this fridge would keep me awake. We had moved every item off of the top of the fridge, but it didn't stop the vibration.\

Service: Housekeeping leaves a lot to be desired. One day they didn't do our room at all. I called them around 5pm to ask for it to be done, and left the room so they could do it. We came back more than half an hour later and it still wasn't done. They showed up 20 minutes later when we were in the middle of showering/changing for dinner. The two girls looked annoyed when I asked they come back at 6:30 or after when we'd be out. We came back at 9:30 and the room wasn't done. The next day the room was cleaned, but they took all of the room towels and the bath mat and didn't return any clean ones. We were without towels and had to shower and change for dinner. I also noticed that the staff wasn't quite as friendly as they were two and three years ago. We also rented a cabana for the day ($90) which was quite relaxing but the "butler service" was kind of useless as we had to go get our own drinks a few times. Two years ago when I was there, these were free on a first come basis. So obviously two years ago was better although no butler service (not that it was any real service this time anyway).

Sandals was doing a photo shoot at the resort when we were there. This resulted in numerous closures - including the beach and main pool on the same day for the entire day! They also closed Armandos all day, the Pitons pool for half a day, the main pool for another half day. It was pretty annoying considering we came there to relax and enjoy the pools/beach and you have to go over to the Halcyon or the Grande. Of course for the photo shoot all the fancy wooden lounges with white cushions come out around the main pool (they have these ones up at the Sunset Bluff pool but not at the main pool usually). There were also models there for the photo shoot... of course we wouldn't want average looking people in any shot, hence all the closures. My question to the resort is why would they plan a photo shoot and disrupt so many people during peak vacation season. Why not the off season for this?

Food: Food was excellent. We finally got into La Toc after three trips to the Regency. Very good dinner. Armandos also excellent - had breakfast and dinner here a couple of times. Neptunes was decent, but I'm not a big fish lover. We went to the Pier at Halcyon one night and it was also excellent. I think we ate mostly at the Pavillion just for the choices and Saturdays are steak night there. One night was the Sandals Select dinner and we attended that as well.

Overall I wasn't as happy with this trip to the Regency (they seem to have renamed themselves to Sandals La Toc now?), and would rate it overall as 3.5 out of 5.

Reviewed 6 February 2011

I found the Resort's service average and not up to what i had expected. You had to wait much too long for drinks, had to keep asking for coffee, more water, etc. With the butler service we were able to over come alot of those shortfalls. The week we were the Resort has the nerve to close to the main pool for one day as there was photo shoots and the follow day was the beach. The resort management should not arrange these type events when resort is book to capisity. Management did offer up free tours for the day, etc but for those like me, i just wanted the pool side or beach their offer did not help. Very disappointed as this is a Sandals. the Resort is getting a little tired and needs some work. When booking look to the Sunset Bluff with a western view, you get the afternoon sun and is a much better place to stay than the main resort. For the cost of the trip i would only recommend if the vistor selected butler service. i would not go back to this resort unless we had butler and could stay on the Bluff.

Reviewed 5 February 2011

My husband and I went to La Toc from January 25 - January 31 for our honeymoon. We stayed in the Romeo and Juliet Penthouse Suite with butler service. It didn't look quite as fancy as the pictures online, but it was still lovely.

The drive from Hewannora was worrisome--it was rainy, and we saw a lot of the effects from the hurricane in October. Don't worry, Sandals is gorgeous and perfect! Take Dramamine if you get motion sickness, as some of the routes to the resort are extremely windy and some of the drivers go awfully fast.

Our butlers were great (we had 2, so one was always available)! We didn't ask very much of them, but we loved that they would reserve chairs by the pool for us. We preferred the Sunset Bluff pool, where it was much less crowded than the main pool, but still had a swim-up bar. Our butlers dropped off cheese or fruit plates randomly, which was a nice surprise. We asked for candles (we couldn't find the light switch on our balcony--it was in the living room) and we came back to candles lit on either side of the bed! My husband asked for champagne for one evening, and we came in to champagne in a ice bucket next to the whirlpool tub . . . which had a bubble bath with rose petals! Our butlers made reservations for us at two restaurants. Gordons was booked, but they were able to squeeze us in there as well!

Our room was great, although we weren't in there very much. I loved having a vanity to get ready at! My only concern about the room was that the door between the bathroom and the bedroom had slats in it, so if you're a private person (like me) you may want to send your significant other to hang out on the balcony (where there are real doors!)

We loved being at the Sunset Bluff, but those rooms aren't for everybody. To get to our building, you need to walk up a hill or take the shuttle (which runs every 5-10 minutes). We usually chose to walk, but I thought some people would want to know about this ahead of time.

The food was incredible! We especially loved Armandos (our waiter Swandi was fantastic), the Pitons, and Neptunes (during the day, so you can see the ocean). We only ate at another Sandals once (at Gordons, at the Grande)--it was very good, but we had equally great food at our own resort. Other couples said that the food at La Toc was the best of all 3 Sandals on the island.

We did 2 excursions while we were there. We don't recommend the Sunset Cruise at all, unless you're looking for a party boat. The second the sun set, the music changed from Eric Clapton to the Black Eye Peas, and the crew started dancing. None of us tourists were dancing--we all escaped to the front of the boat where it was quieter. One man asked them to turn the music down, and they did--a little. The appetizers weren't very good, and we drank out of plastic cups. Also, it wasn't only Sandals guests, and it wasn't couples-only. This wasn't at all what was advertised. Be careful, because the name of the excursion keeps changing on the Sandals website, but the description is the same--sounds romantic, but it's not! Spend the money on a private candlelit dinner instead.

Our second excursion was fantastic!! We went on the Soufriere Jeep tour and it was just incredible! We had a great guide (Chris) with a wonderful sense of humor, we went to the Pitons, drove through the rainforest, went to the mud baths and the heated springs and waterfall. We took some amazing pictures, too. Our Jeep did overheat, so we had to stop a few times to refill, but it didn't take too long. Overall, we highly recommend it!

The beach was very nice although it was small. Some people have written that it's rocky . . . that wasn't the case. It was nice and sandy. The water was chilly but not as cold as, say, New England in the summer. There are crabs on the beach at night!

We would (hopefully will) definitely go back to La Toc!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank afnewengland
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Sandals Regency La Toc? Share your experiences!