“AVOID ISLAND DIVERS AT ALL COSTS! DON'T BELOW THE OTHER REVIEWS...”
Review of Island Divers

Island Divers
Laurel, Maryland
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“AVOID ISLAND DIVERS AT ALL COSTS! DON'T BELOW THE OTHER REVIEWS...”
Reviewed 7 December 2011

They want you to dive at any cost/price.

From a cruise ship excursion we were priced gouged first off all, finding out the actual cost of diving after arriving at this docks via their boat from the the cruise ship port, no huge surprise.

We paid for a 2-tank boat dive. The ride from the cruise ship dock to their location was about 20-25minutes one-way, I guess that was the boat portion of the diving because we left the pier, went 5 minutes in their cove a dive 1 started. Their were 3 catamarn's and 2 other dive boats also here, thinking this is a good place for a Top 10 divers destination; NOT!

The dive started a little after 10am and the VIS was 10feet at best!

I tried to make the most of it and stay with the group, found a few black spotted eels, pointed it out to others but the DM kept swimming, with a muddy view we had to swim fast to keep up and make sure the couple we were diving with was still around too. 20-minutes into the dive I found anotheer eel, pointed in out to the other couple looked up barely able to see my wife 10-15 feet away, swam quickly towards her and she could not find the DM, we decided to join the other couple, swam back to them and could not find them either. We got left, luckly my skills were up to date and we had a Safety Sausage. This was more of a ZERO VIS Dive that I was not trained for.

Being seperated from the group we surfaced 20-minutes into the dive from 28 feet (with a safety stop) and found our selves hundreds of feet from the DM bouy marker and even further from the boat; the only good thing is the Boat Captain saw us and came to pick us up quickly asking if we were OK; the answer was NO!

I have never been so disappointed or upset about a dive or dive operator in 9-years and 100+ dives. I had just said the night before how lucky we have been to never having a bad dive experience or operator; UNTIL NOW!

Within 5-minutes back on the boat and venting to the captain who had an open hear and appolized, our friends came up by themselves even further away from us and the DM as well. When the DM finally came back he said he was sorry about the dives, but it was rained for the last 3-days and we should have been more aware of his location; WE COULDN'T SEE HIM, and he obivously could not see us or didn't care. Conditions were so bad all the other boats (divers and snorklers) went somewhere else, just not us. I have dove in down pours of rain, 3-days after a hurricane and could see more on a night dive (without a light) then we saw here.

So the second dive I told myself I wasn't going to dive, but thought I would give them another chance and had to calm myself to not dive angry. The second dive was 5-minutes from the first and less thn 7-minutes from the Pier. What kind of boat diving is this! This is nothing but a long shore dive in the worst coniditions/location EVER! Their cove was an area where rain and mud collects and gets washed in the water. Absolutely TERRIBLE.

What kind of operation does a 40-45 feet first dive and a 68 foot max second dive?

If St Luica is such a great place, then where were we diving? You telling me that we were only allowed to dive in 2 spots of hundred locations of what is suppose to be some of the best diving?

I take cruises about every 4-6 years to different islands that I have never been to for a day of diving and a little sight seeing/interaction wtih locals to see if I would like to return for a weeks stay. As a Diver and Carribbean Traveler, I HAVE NO INTENTIONS TO EVER RETURN TO ST LUICA BECAUSE OF ISLAND DIVERS!

Being the first dive did not start until after 10am they should have put someone in the water prior to our arrival and advised of the conditions, pick another location or CANCEL the dive all together. Any of these options would have been a better choice!

Visited December 2011
3 Thank jeepseadoo

Marietta, Georgia
154 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 241 helpful votes
“Great Day Trip for Our Cruise”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We did the trip to Ans Couchans with Island Divers as a day trip on our cruise.

Our only complaint was that we didn't understand what they meant by meeting "at the waters edge", so we held everyone up, but that was our fault, to be fair.

After finding the boat, they immediately took us out of the bay adjacent to the cruise ship, and we followed the coast of St Lucia for about 30 minutes or so til we reached the bay. The beach is part of a private resort, and was very private indeed. A few other boats came and went, but for the most part we had this beautiful beach and bay to ourselves. Be prepared for a handful of persistent beach vendors to hawk shells, jewelry, carved turtles, and other trinkets. But once we told them we weren't interested, they left us alone (unlike our experience on St Maarten). We did get a fresh coconut, and after we drank the juice, the vendor came back and helpfully skint it for us so we could eat the meat as well.

The tour provided us with beach chairs and umbrellas, as well as snorkel gear. A nice open air restaraunt on the premises provided us with a much, much nicer lunch than we had expected. We could each pick two items on the menu, so we shared a large appetizer, and banana split, and my husband had a big cheeseburger and fries, while I had the catch of the day and "local chips", which were tasty.

The beaches on this island are not sugar white sand, but are darker volcanic sand. The water was very, very clear, and pleasant to float in. They also provided us with plenty of sea kayaks to go out in the bay with as well. The boat trip to and from was very scenic and enjoyable.

Visited November 2011
Los Angeles, CA
“Best Service in all the Islands”
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We just got back from a 7 day cruise and went diving with Island Divers. As other reviewers have said, they pick you up right at the cruise ship, take you to the resort, fit you for everything you may need and then right to diving. We did a 2 tank dive, lunch, then relaxed on the beach. My wife and I have been diving all over the Caribbean, U.S, and Mexico and Island Divers is far and away the best service we have had. Jem is an incredible organizer and manager and is very friendly and helpful. She is definitely the go to person of the shop. We had Bradley, Lester, and 2 others (Sorry but I have forgot their names) and all were a joy to be with for the day. Island Divers is a hidden gem, keep up the good work and we hope to be back soon.

Visited September 2011
Nuevo, California
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A GREAT LIL' DIVE SHOP.”
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I was very impressed with my diving ST. LUCIA with the ISLAND DIVERS. this is a quality operation which cares about it's divers and honors it's word to dive...even when I was the only diver on board. THANK YOU.

Visited July 2011
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best day of my cruise...Top Service, Amazing Staff”
Reviewed 15 May 2011

We chose to do the discover scuba diving package because neither of us are PADI certified. We were picked up right at the dock where the ship came in and whisked away to paradise. Five people were going diving and just two of us were going on the discover scuba program at the resort. They dropped us off and took everyone else out for their deep dives. The price included an AMAZING lunch at the resort. We had mahi mahi and steak -- it was fantastic. The restaurant is right on the water. The discover scuba diving course was very professional and the instructor, Lester, was patient with my friend that had a little difficulty at first. Once we checked out on the basic skills we went down under up to about 25 feet and saw beautiful coral and fish. When we were done, we relaxed on the beach and then were taken back to the pier by Gem and the captain. There was another boat that came in from the ship to use the beach area that day and they were packed in like sardines. They were all quite jealous of us in our nearly private transport. We can't wait to fly down and go back for a few days and we are also now planning to get our PADI certification! We also booked this last minute and Gem was responsive and very accommodating. I would highly recommend this over the other discover scuba diving experiences, as the person that runs another one listed didn't even bother to reply to say he was full that day or tell us we were too last minute. Top Service and Amazing Staff. Thanks!!

Visited May 2011