“Absolutely perfect, a real gem of a hotel.”
Review of East Winds

East Winds
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
maspalomas
“Absolutely perfect, a real gem of a hotel.”
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I discovered East Winds on Trip Advisor, and I can honestly say that it came up to all my expectations. It is truly wonderful, beautiful location, tranquil, well-run and just perfect.
We stayed in room 26, it felt like our own little piece of paradise. A nice quiet room, just a short walk down to the beach and restaurant. The room was well maintained, lots of wardrobe and storage space (lots of hangers), good lighting, TV, DVD, free WiFi, plenty of electrical sockets, even an international adapter was provided. The bed was huge and very comfortable, plenty of pillows and beautiful, crisp white linen. The bathroom had lots of space for toiletries etc, there were always spare fluffy white towels but what I fell in love with straight away was the sunken shower. Because there is no glass in the window, just an insect screen, it feels as if your are almost showering in the garden listening to the birds and looking at the trees. The sunny terrace was a delight, with the fridge stocked with beer and cold drinks, tea and coffee facilities and a small sink. We spent hours on that terrace, it was out of this world, truly relaxing, just the sound of the birds and the rustle of leaves.
The food at East Winds is exquisite. During the week we stayed not a single item appeared more than one on the dinner menu. The food was always well presented, hot, and perfect size portions. I have to admit that I didn't leave a single thing. I specially remember the pork tenderloin, the tuna, scallops, the paella, marinated fried fish and the stunningly presented desserts. The restaurant is right by the sea with lots of space betwwen tables, you were never rushed, but service was quick and efficient and the music at just the right level. Lunch was a kind of buffet, again very good, and there was always plenty of salad and fresh fruit. Breakfast was buffet but with a cook station where you could get your eggs, omelettes etc. The cook (I think she was called Paula) made the best omelettes that I have ever eaten and served them with a real smile. I am a huge coffee fan and can honestly say that the coffee was exquisite at all meals.
I am not a huge drinker but the bar service was very good, before dinner we always had cocktails with the other guests and they always made me a non-alcoholic drink, each evening different. The weekly coktail party was a nice way of meeting other guests, although as it is a small resort everyone tends to be warm and friendly.
The service at East Winds is just right, discreet yet efficient. The staff were all wonderful, and I do mean all of them, receptionists, bar and restaurant staff, cleaners, gardeners, beach staff and the manager of course!. They all did a great job and always had a genuine smile.
There are plenty of loungers on the beach and around the pool and plenty of shade. The pedal boats and kayaks are a nice way to spend an hour or so, and the snorkelling was nice too. The swimming pool is nice,
and impecably clean, all stray leaves were rapidly removed!.
We did a session of yoga and pilates- both the monitors were excellent and the open pavilion made it even better. We also used the training circuit a few times, it was great.
The gardens at East Winds are very beautiful, lush, mature, full of colour. We chatted to the Head gardener a couple of times and he was enthusiastic and knowledgeable about all the different plants and trees. We enjoyed walking around the gardeners and identifying all the different species from the booklet in our room.

Room Tip: Room 26 is on the top corner of the property so is extremely quiet, the older rooms are closer to th...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank grankan
Retonias, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
ABSOLUTELY PERFECT REVIEW – THANK YOU

Receipt of such a detailed, perfect review of your recent stay at East Winds Inn, together with your photographs and knowing that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves, is the best reinforcement our staff could ever hope for. Your kind remarks are directed to the many who have worked so diligently to ensure you had the best possible holiday experience.

Specific recognition of all the various elements which made up your time with us, to such great detail and with so many favourable superlatives, should be of great assistance to potential travelers to St. Lucia in general and East Winds Inn in particular.

Your closing paragraph sums up your feelings very nicely - “East Winds is one of the best hotels that I have ever stayed in, I love to travel and see new places, so I don't often return to the same hotel twice. However I plan to make an exception with East Winds and go back to this little piece of paradise.” With this in mind, we look forward to welcoming you back for some more timeless seaside elegance.

Thank you for your continued support of East Winds Inn.

President

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
London
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This is a great place. We’ve just returned from our second stay at the East Winds and cannot recommend it too highly if, like us, you are looking for a peaceful, tranquil haven. All the staff are charming and helpful – we particularly liked Paula, Mavis and Winfield in the restaurant. Nothing is too much trouble for any of the wonderful people who who will make your stay such a relaxing joy!

Special mention to the gardeners who, despite it being windy during our stay, raked leaves with great determination and worked very hard on the beautiful grounds. Top marks too to the garden designer who has made sure that there is something in bloom everywhere you look.

Johnny and Kim (water sports instructors) were unfailing cheerful and charming. We saw them both raking the sand into beautiful designs every morning – it seemed a shame to walk on the beach afterwards!

Food, wine and cocktails all very good and the beautiful beach was kept very clean and tidy. The rooms are spread out within the grounds and are comfortably furnished in a Caribbean style.

This is not the place to come if you are looking for a busy resort with lots of activities and entertainment, or if you want glitzy sophistication with a marbled reception, 24 hour meal room service and an infinity pool. The East Winds is about relaxation, comfort and great service in a resort which blends into its 12 acres.

It’s pretty close to perfection and it’s certainly perfect for us – and for others who appreciate peace, quiet and (perhaps) the most relaxing spot in the Caribbean.

We certainly hope to return as soon as we can.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank jackaljames
Retonias, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
DETAILED, RETURN VISIT REVIEW APPRECIATED
What can one say - except thank you - to a detailed posting which ends “We certainly hope to return as soon as we can”? To be considered the most relaxing spot in the Caribbean by a repeat guest is indeed an honour, and the manner in which you have expressed your feelings toward East Winds Inn and the staff is most welcomed by all.

From your opening line – “This is a great place.” - to your numerous sensitive comments about so many of the individuals responsible for the enjoyment of your holiday, it is clear you have captured the essence of East Winds Inn. Recognition of our gardening team, watersports, restaurant and bar staff, as well as housekeeping and the authentic design of the accommodation, all point to your observation of these elements in a positive light. Comments about food and beverage are also appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to East Winds Inn and another authentic Caribbean experience, and thank you for your continued support.

Coulsdon, Surrey
Reviewed 17 March 2012

This is a long overdue review of my last holiday at East Winds Inn in July/August 2010 for which I hope you will forgive me as I feel I have something positive to add the debate developing on this site. I have two points that I would like to make.

I have been visiting East Winds Inn since 2000 and I have always found it a very special place – so many of the superlatives that I have read on other reviews express how I have felt about this tropical paradise. Many things remain unchanged since those days – the beautiful location, many of the staff is still there and the quality of the food – it truly is wonderful. When we returned for our honeymoon in 2008 it was with some trepidation knowing that our beloved hotel was ‘under new management’. We were delighted to find that the essential flavour of the place was still there, but subtle changes and improvements were starting to emerge. It was very obvious to us that Gareth Leach, the GM, and under whose guidance East Winds had developed over many years, had found an excellent working relationship and shared vision with the new owners George and Marilyn Reti; that East Winds Inn was in safe hands to grow and blossom. When we returned for our last visit to celebrate my husband’s 50th birthday we saw straight away the fruits of their labours. From the refurbished communal areas, the new yoga pavilion, the transformation of the restaurant and upgrading of the rooms – changes large and small enhanced our holiday in a myriad of ways. We have stayed at luxury hotels in the Caribbean and around the world, and to suggest that East Winds does not present an outstanding level of luxury is fundamentally untrue. What it does not give you is ostentatious surroundings, and service filled with false platitudes. Here you receive genuine service from people who really care, in a relaxed and beautiful environment. It is heaven on Earth if you lead a busy life and wish to escape from the pressures that brings.

My second point is about value for money. Holidays are not cheap – we want a really good quality experience when we go on holiday and are prepared to pay a significant price for that. But in return we want to be free from stress. We want to be comfortable and to feel cared for during our stay. We do not want to return after our stay out of pocket due to unforeseen expenses. The nature of the ‘all inclusive’ service at East Winds is far away from the all inclusive deals offered at other resorts we have stayed in (all fine but not in the same league as this special place). We are not heavy drinkers but how I love my glass of real champagne before dinner. How I love to watch my husband as he has gradually becomes more proficient at sailing the hobie cat (without having to worry about the cost of yet another sailing session). How I love afternoon tea, delighted and entertained by the beautiful birds that come to share the cake and scones. What fun I had trying yoga for the first time. How much would these treats cost if I had to pay for each of them individually? Would they have priced me out of my ideal holiday? I didn’t have to worry because all these things were included. And where there are optional things to pay for they are very clearly priced – two examples would be using the laundry services of the hotel (well worth the little expense for my husband to have his favourite shirt for dinner and that sort of thing) and booking beauty treatments in my room – lovely to have a manicure and pedicure without having to travel for it and exactly at the price quoted.

East Winds Inn is unique in the world – not for everyone but perfect for so many of us. I have never met George Reti but if I did I would hug him and thank him for giving me this opportunity to step off the busy carousel of modern life and have a couple of weeks of unadulterated luxury and relaxation in this small paradise. I would say please don’t change it – but actually what I want to say is thank you for all the things you have done to change it for the better. We are heading to East Winds again this August and I just can’t wait!

Room Tip: My advice would be to contact the hotel and tell them the sort of room you require before you go e.g...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Fairdene
Retonias, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 18 March 2012

What an inspiring and gracious review you have posted on all your experiences at East Winds Inn – we are overcome with happiness and fulfillment for knowing that the resort has not only met, but apparently exceeded your long term expectations for quality holiday experiences. This, given your worldly travels, is indeed an accomplishment which you so generously have bestowed upon us with your two well articulated major points – which we would like to highlight following.

Firstly, while all reviews have an element of assistance to our management team and the details we constantly strive to improve upon, yours is a particularly heartfelt one, which covers the delicate transition we had to overcome relating to the expectations of long term guests and new proprietorship. If there was a singular message from all those who had come to love East Winds Inn – like yourselves, it was to not change a thing. As new operators, we saw the potential for improvement in certain areas, and as your review so carefully sets out, those changes have actually enhanced your enjoyment of East Winds. This is now a comment we receive from almost all our repeat guests, that overall, it has become even better than they had expected. This is extremely rewarding for all the staff at East Winds, and we thank you for that.

Secondly, you intuitively remark on a concept which we have tried to convey for a very long time – the idea of value for money. Not only is there the actual monetary cost of the holiday itself, but for most busy people, such as you and a great many of our guests appear to be, the real cost of a vacation can often be the time taken from your busy lives. While this is viewed as an intrinsic cost, nobody wishes to take their valuable time and experience a half hearted holiday for the sake of potentially saving a relatively small amount of money. East Winds Inn is not inexpensive, but in terms of actual value, it is excellent. Moreover, as you state, our staff will do everything within their power to provide the best holiday possible. The sum total off all that is on offer greatly exceeds the monetary cost of a holiday at East Winds Inn, and when that is coupled with the quality of the experience, the end result should be satisfied guests who return time and time again – which they most definitely do.

Finally, we would like to take the liberty of quoting a small portion of your thoughtful review, which we feel embodies not only your feelings but also everything East Winds Inn stands for, and will continually strive to achieve.
“We have stayed at luxury hotels in the Caribbean and around the world, and to suggest that East Winds does not present an outstanding level of luxury is fundamentally untrue. What it does not give you is ostentatious surroundings, and service filled with false platitudes. Here you receive genuine service from people who really care, in a relaxed and beautiful environment.”

Thank you for your overwhelming support of East Winds Inn, and we eagerly look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warmest regards,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2012

We recently visited EWI for the first time and can say with confidence that it won't be our last!

This was a vacation to remember, to say the least. We fully experienced the three "R's": Rest, Relaxation, Rejuvenation (and perhaps a little Rehabilitation after all those rum punches!). First off, the food: we consider ourselves "foodies" and we plan most of our vacations around the culinary experience. The food far surpassed our expectations, even after all of the glowing TripAdvisor reviews. Gourmet breakfasts featured homemade yogurt and health-drink-o-the-day, lunches brought paella and barbecued kingfish, and dinner...well, dinner was it's own beast. What an experience! Four course dinners were served with a smile by the local and professional St. Lucian staff. Wine accompaniments were always on par, with a varying Managers List available upon request.

We thoroughly appreciated the familial atmosphere between all of the guests. We enjoyed sharing in drinks and scrabble with fellow guests in the Bamboo Lounge before and after dinner. The community feel of the resort was obvious as guests often chose to invite others to join them at dinner.

We started days with both the yoga and pilates classes in the beautiful, open-air yoga pavilion and were pleased with the instruction. We spent many hours lounging on the beautiful natural sand beach, and barely had to leave our loungers to snorkel the underwater world of St. Lucia. There are two reefs right out front of the resort! The lush gardens are clearly maintained with love by Sylvanus and his crew - every day we saw them out working, even during rain! The rooms offered every amenity we needed and were meticulously cleaned each day by the wonderful housekeeping staff.

In fact, the entire staff is what made this trip so memorable for us. From the ladies greeting us at reception late at night with a bright smile and a choice of beverage, to Francis and his well-mannered security staff. The water sport boys, Kim & Johnny, gave us a lesson on the hobby cat and a couple thrilling rides. Titus, Hannah, Leron, Windel and other bar staff kept our drinks topped-up with premium liquor and were always ready to mix a new drink at our request. Henry & the restaurant staff, especially Eli and Mouse, made every dinning experience wonderful. We enthusiastically give EWI staff the three "F's": Flexible, Friendly and Fun!

Oh...and did we mention the food was amazing?

Thank you to all for such a great getaway. We can't to come "home" again soon.

4 Thank tkelly77
Retonias, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
A GREAT ENJOYMENT IN READING REVIEW – THANK YOU

We sincerely appreciate the most personalized review of your recent experiences at East Winds Inn – it is obvious you found a great many activities to compliment the relaxation time for which the resort is so well known. How pleasing to see that younger couples such as you can find so many positive activities to fill your days without even leaving the East Winds property. Thank you for pointing that out.

From your comments, it is clear that the resort is suitable for all ages, offering free yoga and palates classes with expert, experienced instructors, snorkeling on our own reefs, guided hobie cat sails, an assortment of active games such as table tennis, shuffleboard and even our own outdoor fitness trail with over 20 activity stations. It seems you partook in virtually all of these opportunities, as well as more passive elements such as the guided garden tour, bird watching and just relaxing on the pristine beach.

In addition to all these activities, are the food and beverage elements you so enthusiastically describe in your posting, covering breakfast, lunch and dinner. Your self professed classification as ‘foodies” suggests you have a critical eye and a sophisticated palate, which clearly were satisfied by everything on offer and stating – “did we mention the food was amazing?”

Again, the resounding compliments to all the staff – over 10 of them you mention by name and also refer to each and every department – underscores the core asset of East Winds Inn, the wonderful people of St. Lucia.

We appreciate your commitment to return to East Winds Inn – you should find everything just as it was, with perhaps some continuous minor improvements in our effort to provide a genuine Caribbean experience at “the small hotel with a big heart”.

George J. Reti,
Newark, Notts, UK
Reviewed 14 March 2012

My husband and I recently returned from a fortnight at East Winds and honestly could have stayed much longer, if not forever! It was quite simply, just perfect for us.

Having never been to the Caribbean before we spent a significant amount of time researching islands, websites and customer reviews. After a while, we were almost blinded by the number of glamorous websites on show and expansive promises of Caribbean perfection. However, the beacons that drew us in were the many honest Trip Advisor reviews of East Winds and the careful and considered responses from George Reti, the owner.

It was very clear that the responses were not written by an office junior, nor were they formulaic platitudes, bloated with blinkered confidence in a showy hotel. Instead, George’s detailed and considered responses glowed with pride and happiness at the positive reviews. Although tempered with sadness at the less positive ones, he took each one on board as constructive criticism and instead viewed them as an opportunity to make East Winds even better for the next guests.

This visible passion and personal attention to detail from the owners is the reason we booked East Winds – if this much care is taken over both positive and critical reviews, then I felt sure that the same care and attention would be reflected strongly at the hotel – we weren’t let down in any way.

I’d liken East Winds to a swan gliding along the water…beautiful and elegant to look at, but there’s a lot of effort and work going on under the water that you don’t see, all of which combines to create effortless elegance. Thank you to George and Marilyn and all the wonderful staff at East Winds for all your hard work – it’s certainly paying off.

East Winds is blessed with a beautiful location, but the owners and staff continually work very hard on all the other elements of the hotel and are constantly striving for perfection: the lush, manicured gardens, sumptuous, varied food, comfortable, elegant rooms, cheerful, hardworking staff, there’s even Juliana’s small shop selling useful items such as suncreams. To be honest, I could crack open the dictionary for more superlatives and go on for pages, but just read some of the other reviews for more opinions.

From the moment we walked into East Winds we were welcomed, quite literally, by staff and guests alike with open arms and immediately made to feel at home. It has a warm, personal touch which is unlike any other hotel we’ve stayed in anywhere in the world.

Very quickly, East Winds becomes your home from home. In fact, if you’re looking for the hotel version of ‘Cheers’, where everyone knows your name, then the charming East Winds Inn is for you.

East Winds is refined and elegant, large enough to cope with your every need but small enough to really care about you and your happiness. The staff are relaxed and happy and love delighting the guests. Everyone wanted you to have the perfect holiday you were expecting and needed, and they bent over backwards to accommodate you. Any comments are taken on board with blinding speed. Nothing is too much trouble, and requests and issues are dealt with quickly and efficiently.

The mantra for the hotel is ‘timeless seaside elegance’ and through careful and subtle confidence, and the hotel certainly achieves this. East Winds is perfect for us. The hotel, people and island will linger happily in our memories for a long time, until we are able to return and experience another small slice of Caribbean heaven.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 12, a deluxe room closer to the resort and beach. Apart from the falling mangoes o...
7 Thank Leafytri
Retonias, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
ELOQUENT REVIEW MOST APPRECIATED

The obvious time and effort you have taken to post such a detailed and lovely review of your recent visit to East Winds Inn could not be more appreciated. It is heartwarming to see how accurately you have captured the essence of the resort and the manner in which your outgoing personalities helped make the overall experience such a favourable one for not only you, but fellow guests as well as our staff.

Knowing that you are experienced travelers to many exotic locations worldwide, your comment “It has a warm, personal touch which is unlike any other hotel we’ve stayed in anywhere in the world” is indeed gratifying, as are your glowing remarks about the “sumptuous, varied food, lush, manicured gardens and comfortable, elegant rooms”. Of course, what really makes East Winds Inn, as you point out, are the “cheerful, hardworking staff”.

We are delighted that you have discovered East Winds Inn, and look forward to welcoming you back to “experience another small slice of Caribbean heaven”. What more could we ask for than that?

Thank you for your generous support of East Winds Inn.

West Sussex
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We arrived from wintry Britain to East Winds Inn mid-February, for the sixth time, and on arrival it felt as if we had never been away. For us the anticipation of our holiday at East Winds is important and having followed the Tripadvisor reviews since we were here last time we knew that the place could not have changed for the worse. Did it deliver? It most certainly did! The atmosphere was the same, exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff, smiling and always helpful. The grounds were looking lush and beautiful. Good selection of wines, lovely champagne, meals as delicious as ever, if not even more so this year. We're not vegetarians, but tried many of the vegetarian options and they were excellent. Evening entertainment is not intrusive, just nice background music, exactly the way we want it. Our deluxe cottage spacious and with a comfortable bed, large bathroom, terrace overlooking the garden. Peace and tranquility. Yes, it was all there, as we remembered it. Even the hummingbird!

Others have described better than I can do it here all the wonderful things that make East Winds Inn to such a special place. We just want to say how happy we are that we found this absolute gem, somewhere to go for total relaxation and enjoyment, a 'problem free zone', somewhere to recharge our batteries after a year's hard work. Will we come back again? Certainly, our seventh trip to East Winds Inn has already been booked!

4 Thank happytwins
Retonias, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
LOVELY TO HAVE YOU COMING BACK

Thank you for the kind remarks in your recent posting outlining your sixth visit experience to East Winds Inn. The numerous superlatives you have used to describe your stay, the staff, your room, food and wines as well as the gardens, are most appreciated – especially the fact that you found everything the same, if not better, from your previous visits - even the hummingbird. Obviously, the best proof in all that is the fact you have already booked your seventh upcoming visit to your own special “problem free zone” – East Winds Inn.

What really captures our hearts however, is the manner in which you openly state “We just want to say how happy we are that we found this absolute gem…”, and to that, knowing who you are, we just want to say how happy we are to have you coming back! See you in 11 months, and thank you for all your support of East Winds Inn.

George J. Reti,
Isleworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The headline probably says it all. We had a very nice time overall, and the value for money in terms of food and drink quality was very good. The rooms were charming in a rustic way, and the staff, in general, were lovely and attentive. The genuine local musical entertainment was also excellent. However.. if you are used to robes, slippers, beach service, a little more sophisitication and so on, you will be disappointed.
The only real complaint of the week was the manager - he did not even bother to introduce himself to us (or the people we got chatting to) at the manager's welcome cocktail party - surely a minimum for a manager at his own party?!
Our only visit to St Lucia before was to Anse Chastenet, and this does not compare at all favourably for us. However we appreciate that we can, and would/do prefer to pay more for what we want. Unfortunately we misinterpreted the rave reviews on this website in this regard.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank UKexpat
Retonias, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
VERY GOOD VALUE – THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS

We appreciate your review of the time you spent at East Winds Inn last November, 2011 – particularly your candid comments pertaining to the fact that you had “a very nice time overall”, “the value for money in terms of food and drink quality was very good” and “the staff in general were lovely and attentive”. You also state that “the genuine local music entertainment was also excellent”.

Your comment that the “rooms were charming in a rustic way” is interesting, given that they are appointed with new McGuire furniture and lamps of the Caribbean style, imported Italian linens, museum framed original antique art and maps, high quality double lined curtains with local fabric cushion accents and many modern amenities depending on the room classification. Your room also had a hidden flat screen TV and DVD player, as well as an I pod docking station and free Wi Fi throughout the resort.. Also provided are professional chrome hairdryers, personal make-up mirrors and beautifully framed full length mirrors to check appearance from head to toe.

Every room is also supplied with two Frette bathrobes of 100% pique cotton embroidered with the East Winds logo, which at one time could be purchased at Harrods in London for some 150 pounds each – certainly meeting the definition of sophistication. In terms of beach service, as there are four (4) bars on the property – two of which are right on the beach - plus each room has its own mini-bar which is stocked daily, access to any type of drink is always nearby and convenient. Because “sophistication and so on” is such a subjective term, it is difficult for us to comment on. However, we will confirm that we do not have white gloved butlers prancing about the property with artificial accents pretending to be something they are not. Rather, we have friendly and gregarious St. Lucians who are eager to please in the most natural and honest way they know how – which has given us the excellent reputation we enjoy today. None of these people or our management team received a single negative comment from you during your stay, yet you have graded us relatively harshly under many subcategories for no apparent reason. The General Manager of the resort was traveling to London the morning of November 22, 2011, and was therefore unfortunately absent for virtually your entire visit.

Finally, you have indicated that this was your second visit to St. Lucia, first staying at another well established resort - Anse Chastanet – for which we too have great respect and share a mutual sales representative. Underlying the subjectivity of this all, it is only fair to point out that for 2011, the year in which you visited East Winds Inn, we received a 99.1 percent Customer Satisfaction Index rating on this website, as compared to 91.1 for Anse Chastanet on a similar number of reviews. This represents the general public’s viewpoint - not ours – and should be taken into account.

We appreciate your continued interest in East Winds Inn, and hope to have you return as so many of our guests do to enjoy timeless seaside elegance.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gros Islet
#2 of 11 in Soufriere
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to East Winds? Share your experiences!