“Best Resort.”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Best Resort.”
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

I appreciate this is a little belated but having just signed up for Trip Advisor, I thought I owed East Winds Inn a review!
I'm 16 and have previously visited Barbados twice, where I stayed both times in a much busier hotel. Given this, my parents were unsure if I'd find a way to occupy myself in a smaller, more relaxed hotel.
But I am thrilled to say - this is by far the best hotel I have visited, and I've had the blessing of travelling a lot!
The staff are all gems: I remember a lot of names and as a family we built up a fantastic rapport with most, if not all of them. I won't ever forget Windell's smile!
The food lives up to its reputation and then exceeds it by a mile. The enormous variety and never ending supply of fresh fish was perfect, not to mention the sushi, my favourite food. Possibly the best I've ever tasted. Also the chef cooked up a conch we found snorkling!
The water sports were great on a quiet ocean, and I was allowed to sail alone on a hobie cat having proved my competence. That was lovely!
The evening entertainment was fantastic, honest music, with the addition of the beautiful Steinway piano. On request the pianist played my favourite song, a lovely memory.
Relating to 'occupying myself', I found that being a little older than when visiting Barbados, it was a perfect fortnight of relaxation.
The rooms and grounds are beautiful, a bunch of cute huts nestled in a miniature tropical jungle with a nature trail and fitness trail.
Also, I noticed that everybody at the hotel, from manager to gardener was always too happy to help. The hotel was full of happy, relaxed vibes and peace, where time never seemed to go too fast.
Apologies for the delay in review but I needed to leave one!! This is by far the best hotel I've been to and will definitely be returning! Thank you very much to all the staff - if I named them all, we'd be here forever. Thanks for the perfect holiday!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank LucyTruman
George R, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 17 January 2014
BEST REVIEW – THANK YOU

I must admit after reading your wonderful review of East Winds Inn, the portion that really grabbed my attention was your age – a generous 16 years of experienced travel which allowed you to enjoy even the most subtle aspects of the resort. Then, when one considers you hail from Oxford, I shouldn’t be the least bit surprised. Now all we ask is that you tell all your friends so we can begin the downward revision to the average age of our guests!

Seriously, your review is so complimentary and informative at the same time – you must be an English major. Like so many before you, you cite the staff for the extent of your enjoyment. That is a most kind and deserved gesture – as was calling East Winds the best hotel you have ever been to. We certainly hope that we have not ruined you in terms of expectations from others, at such a young age. Just keep coming back, and you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for your valuable input – you could end up being one of our longest term repeat guests if you make visiting for relaxation a habit. We look forward to that.

George J. Reti

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Newtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Spent a week and never left the grounds. This all-inclusive has different food and good wine every meal.This resort will spoil you and is geared to the more reserved couples who like nice things. It is quiet and relaxing. You can fit in as many activities as you want or just relax by the pool bar. In the morning we took advantage of the open air exercise room and exercise stations then read by the ocean until we could enjoy the sunset. We never needed money for anything. The staff was perfect, the room was clean and had a sink & stocked refrig on the porch. The beach front units are smaller but have a better view. We were in room 11 which was a little to close the staff house noise, also had trouble with the beeping smoke alarm. It took 1 hour from the airport to arrive by taxi, but the views were nice. We were there in December and the water was not real blue as some other places but it was clean but not good for snorkeling.

Room Tip: 3 Beachfront units are connected and are smaller and share a common area. The other units are 2 room...
3 Thank KC R
George R, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
THANKS FOR THE VERY GOOD REVIEW OF A GREAT GETAWAY

We appreciate your candid posting of the week long experience you clearly enjoyed at East Winds Inn. The fact you found everything to your satisfaction, and felt spoiled by the caring staff, is rewarding for all.
It seems you had a varied offering in terms of activities, and partook in those which gave you pleasure and relaxation. That is the fundamental philosophy of the resort – do as much or as little as you like, and still have a wonderful time. Of course, the cuisine and drinks are an activity all unto themselves, and as you state, you never needed any money for anything.

Thank you for pointing out the noise from the staff area – St. Lucians are known for their enthusiasm – especially when it involves a serious game of dominoes. We will ask them to tone it down a bit in the future, although this is the first time we have heard of this as being a concern.

Your constructive comments make a difference in our ability to ensure total guest satisfaction, and we appreciate your support of East Winds Inn. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 31 December 2013

There are days when I am sitting at my desk, staring out the window at my frozen city, feeling pretty miserable. Those are the days I like to check out the East Winds reviews on TripAdvisor and they always take me back to the blissful memories of our trip this past June. This was our second visit to East Winds, so clearly we are hooked!

As has been mentioned countless times before me, this place is a true Caribbean gem. It would seem a bit superfluous to go on and on about our stay. Previous reviewers have consistently referenced the incredible staff, tastefully decorated rooms, world-class dinning and stunning secluded beach. These all contribute to a wonderful vacation. But there really is just a certain 'something' that I can't quite put into words. Something that makes this little resort so very special, and something my husband and I hope never changes.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tkelly77
George R, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
THANKS FOR BEING A DAYDREAM BELIEVER

How interesting that you too check out the TripAdvisor reviews on East Winds in order to help recreate those special memories – you are certainly not the first person to mention that, and we are most appreciative of you doing so on this board. Thank you for sharing the essence of your blissful times at East Winds; after all, that is how the positive word gets spread, with more and more people eventually taking the opportunity of enjoying the same things which you clearly have for two visits now.

No resort can aspire to being great without the benefit of incredible staff, and as you point out, that is the true mainstay of East Winds Inn. Yes, anyone can build and furnish nice accommodation, they can try to find enthusiastic chefs the likes of ours, and if they are very fortunate, they might even have a large, premium property with the same idyllic qualities as East Winds enjoys. But as you say, that does not necessarily create something “so very special” – a true Caribbean gem, which East Winds is in the eyes of so many, including you.

Having the benefit of helping create this most updated, new and improved version of East Winds Inn over the past eight years, we can report to you, unequivocally and without hesitation, that the certain something you are grasping to identify and can’t quite put into words, is simply the presence of “heart”. For without heart, there is no passion, and without passion, there is only mediocrity. So as long as East Winds Inn can legitimately maintain its reputation as “the Small Resort with a Big Heart”, you and your husband, as well as the legions of our repeat guests, can take comfort in knowing it will never change. Collectively, that is the hope for all of us.

Thank you for your heartfelt review and ongoing support of East Winds Inn. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Warm regards,

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We enjoyed our week long stay at the East Winds Inn. The surroundings are beautiful and the staff are, on the whole, quite charming and very helpful.
The restaurant by the sea is just great and the food is good, with meat always a better bet than the fish. We got a bit tired of the wine choice, especially at lunchtimes where the choice was stubbornly an Argentinian Chardonnay all week for the white - nice, but a change would have been good. The wines were reasonable, a more sophisticated selection is available on request and at a price. Ditto sparkling wine (a Spanish cava) versus champagne. The pool bar really is fabulous, although it was rarely used - the most action pool side happens at 4 when afternoon tea is served and the cakes and scones are devoured with gusto.
We enjoyed a lovely romantic beachside candle lit dinner for our anniversary - and then we were offered some real champagne which was nice.
A word on the music: "in order to maintain a true, authentic Caribbean atmosphere, local musicians perform regularly for your dinner entertainment". Much of the time the music was re-hashed classics such as 'ebony and ivory' or 'you are the sunshine of my life' tinkled away on the piano or karaoke version with a clarinet. It was very far from authentic Caribbean and we frankly would rather have listened to the waves crashing gently on the beach.
Our room was lovely, although its location was definitely not the best on site. Room 21 is up next to reception and the main gate and suffers from the noise of cars, radios hissing, shouts, and general comings and goings. The commotion was pretty bad at one point and we asked reception to try to get the shouting to stop. It is also the furthest from the beach and bars and seemed to lack the peaceful intimacy of some of the other rooms.
The beach is lovely, but it is small. There are enough deck chairs and parasols for everyone, but this is the first hotel I have ever stayed where it is necessary to have your towel on a lounger before dawn to get a front row seat - otherwise you are firmly tucked away, at the back of the beach peering through your fellow clients to see the sea. Not so pretty much of the time. Also, the Windjammer landing timeshare complex sprawls over much of the rest of the bay and the hill over looking East Winds. Not so pretty either, particularly the giant climbing floating "iceberg" - an ugly blot on the landscape.
We went kayaking and sailing, although the water was very murky when we were there, so no point in snorkeling in zero visibility.
We used the services of Desmond, the resident taxi driver - he seemed a bit expensive, but he is more than happy to chat, stop and detour on the way to wherever you want to go on the island so well worth the cost and peace of mind versus driving yourself! Also means you can try the local rums at the distillery if you get there.
Overall, we had an impression that this is a kind of "old boys club". Clearly the retired British clientele which make up a high proportion of guests come back year after year,make friends and get known by the staff. We didn't ever really feel part of that club, and I doubt we will be back for a reunion next year!

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms by the reception/main gate!
6 Thank Scorchy
George R, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
THANKS FOR THE NICE REVIEW

Beginning your review by stating that you enjoyed your week long stay at the East Winds Inn, the surroundings are beautiful and the staff are, on the whole, quite charming and very helpful, is most encouraging – we thank you for all of these positive comments. Further mentioning that the restaurant by the sea is just great and the food is good, is also appreciated, as is your recognition of the pool bar as being really fabulous. Perhaps this is one of the reasons that the East Winds swim up bar was named one of the Top Ten in the world on this website during the past year. We are further pleased that you found your room lovely – the same superlative you use for the beach. The practice of reserving loungers is frowned upon at East Winds, as there is no need to do so, with enough thatched beach huts for everyone – even at full occupancy. The Windjammer Landing in the distance is well sheltered by trees, except the iceberg you identify, which we like to suggest in jest, keeps the sea cooler for proper swimming and helps regulate the tide with its constant melting.

It seems as though you enjoyed your tour with Desmond, which you state was well worth the cost and peace of mind versus driving yourselves. We apologize for any excess noise you may have heard in your room relating to typical St. Lucian banter. The staff bus arrives at 11:00 PM to take workers home after a long day, but parks a long distance from any of the guest rooms, up by the security gate. Many repeat guests ask for the room you occupied, as it has an excellent view of the property and provides numerous alternate routes down to the many beachside amenities. The water at East Winds is typically crystal clear, with a natural sand bottom well out for many hundreds of feet. The odd time, after heavy rains, there is some cloudiness until the sand settles back to the bottom. Many people refer to the East Winds experience as being like a large house party, suggesting a certain level of intimacy and camaraderie. Rarely have we heard it referred to as an old boys club – which it can’t possibly be judging by the number of weddings and anniversaries people choose to celebrate with us – just as you did.

We thank you for all your positive comments and suggestions on ways we can continue to improve our offering. Thank you for your support and interest in East Winds Inn.

Wiltshire
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Had a fabulous time at East Winds. It really suited us as it was quiet and peaceful.

Food and drink: The food was excellent overall but the vegetarian options at dinner could have shown more imagination - one was like camp stew. Non-veggies would love it as there was a variety of good meat and fish dishes each evening. The waiting staff were really professional but also friendly. There was always a choice of 2 red wines, 2 white wines and 1 rose. At dinner we were presented with an amuse bouche but it was rarely vegetarian so I missed out on that most evenings. Evening entertainment was laid back and unobtrusive. Breakfasts were very good.

Accommodation: the room was lovely. So quiet which I love. There was a sink, coffee machine, tea and a fridge packed full of beer, soft drinks and water on the patio which was replenished each day. The aircon was really quiet and we kept this on for the whole of our stay. The bathroom was quite large with a sunken shower which was interesting.

General resort: Lovely grounds, very quiet. Always plenty of sunbeds on offer. Beach great although there was a bit of a shelf when entering the sea so no good for children. I did notice that other guests were probably 90% English although I wasn't! All staff very friendly and doing a great job!

Arrival: we can recommend the helicopter transfers from/to the main airport.

Trips: Rabot Plantation (Hotel Chocolat) visit recommended. This also included snorkeling between the Pitons - amazing variety of fish. We enjoyed a trip via taxi to Pigeon Island. A lovely place to walk around with fab views.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
George R, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
THANKS FOR THE PERFECTLY FORMED REVIEW

The detailed and segmented nature of your review on East Winds Inn is very helpful to most potential guests seeking a quality destination on the beautiful island of St. Lucia. From the “excellent” cuisine, “professional and friendly” waiting staff, “excellent breakfasts” and wide selection of daily featured wines, the food and beverage portion of your holiday seems to have hit the mark. Thank you for all of these positive comments. We will mention the option of more vegetarian amuse bouche selections, as well as tightening up on the vegetarian options to ensure they are at par with the balance of the cuisine on offer.

You also alluded to the lovely room and its quiet nature, as well as the efficiency of its various appointments. The grounds , of which we are extremely proud, also seem to have made an impression. As you say, “all the staff are friendly and doing a great job!”

It is nice that you took the initiative to see some of the other interesting elements of St. Lucia – truly one of the most beautiful islands in the Caribbean. Hopefully, you will return soon – everyone can use a bit of peace and quiet as you discovered. Thank you for your support of East Winds Inn.

Kent, England
Reviewed 21 December 2013

We booked the holiday via Tropical Sky (highly recommended) and arrived at East Winds to a warm friendly reception. None of the swiping of credit card the minute you set foot on the property - you are a welcome guest and treated accordingly. We had a deluxe cottage which was superb; comfortable bed, loads of cupboard space, lovely bathroom and shower and UK sockets. The patio had a fridge (re-stocked daily with beers, water, soft drinks) and was perfect for relaxing after a hard day on the beach! For an all-inclusive package, I have never experienced such high quality food and drink as that provided by East Winds. It really is on a higher level than so many other resorts and rightly recieves many compliments from all guests. The weekly lobster/steak bar-b-q is marvellous and the meals were always something special. The staff were exceptional. Friendly, good fun and professional and always looking to provide the best service. This helps to create a really good atmosphere in the resort. So many other reviews have stated the same and I now understand why guests return to East Winds. It is simply the best.

Room Tip: The deluxe cottage was excellent. However, all rooms are high standard and I doubt there would be an...
2 Thank comeonburnley
George R, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
SIMPLY THE BEST REVIEW – THANK YOU

The extremely positive review of your recent visit to East Winds Inn is truly rewarding to all of those who helped make it happen. As you point out, the staff are exceptional – friendly, good fun, professional and always looking to provide the best service possible. We are pleased you enjoyed the accommodations as well as the cuisine and drinks - “superb” being one of your many positive adjectives.

The level of repeat business at any hotel is usually a good barometer of the experience one can expect, and in this regard, as you note, East Winds scores very well. It is hoped that you also become one of the regular repeat visitors to the Small Resort with a Big Heart – East Winds Inn – simply the best. Thank you for your support.

London
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This was our second trip to East Winds Inn and we were welcomed like old friends, it was so good to be back. We relaxed and swam and enjoyed the marvellous food. We were in a beach front room so we had just a short walk each morning to the sea and our pre-breakfast swim; what a way to start the day. Apart from a short walk to the next bay, we did not leave the property and had a wonderful time. There are lots of things to do but we just did not want to do them.

The staff at East Winds are uniformly marvellous. Friendly and welcoming but with just enough informality to make you feel part of the family. There is a lovely feel to the place.

Room Tip: All the rooms are lovely - it depends if you want to be right on the beach or have a larger room in...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AandRHLondon
George R, Owner at East Winds, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
A WONDERFUL AND RELAXING REVIEW TO RECEIVE – THANK YOU!

Bearing in mind that you are a Senior Contributor to this website, with a total of 32 reviews posted to date, your opinion definitely carries some serious weight. In that context, we are delighted that you saw fit to grant us a perfect score in your thoughtful review of your second visit to East Winds Inn. To the same extent that you felt it was good to be back, we were so happy to have you back, and that is why you were welcomed like old friends.

We are pleased you found everything to your total satisfaction, including the sea, the marvelous food, and of course, the friendly and welcoming staff with their usual genuine attitude to make it just right. We couldn’t be happier with your final remark – “there is a lovely feel to the place” – thanks for your candor and support of East Winds Inn in such a warm and relaxed manner – it is noted by everyone who played their part in making it happen.

Hopefully, you will return for more visits, and bring your positive attitude and enthusiasm with you. All will be waiting for you with their eager and authentic St. Lucian smiles. We know you won’t be disappointed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gros Islet
#2 of 11 in Soufriere
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to East Winds? Share your experiences!