What a lovely week!
We stayed in peaceful East Winds during the last week of June. This time we were in one of the beach villas with a shared private sitting room with lovely through breeze and a small private sitting room.Thanks to Glenda and the front office team for making this possible. It was lovely to be able to walk across to the beach and swim early in the morning. This is always a magical time of day for me when St Lucia wakes up and I meet up with some of the locals I know in nearby Marisule.
Housekeeping in our little house was excellent and we were well looked after by Nathalie (Natty) our housekeeper. Carter kept our fridge stocked up and there was always plenty of water (and beer if we wanted it)
As usual all the staff were superb and we were looked after very well. The food – headed up by head chef, Tomislav, was even better than last year. A really good selection of starters and well-portioned main courses in the evening. Tomislav knows how to cook his meats and fish and nothing was overcooked and it was all prepared beautifully with interesting vegetables. The lunches were also very good and thanks Harry, Lindon, Aunty Paula and the team – especially for the Dasheen pie! I can think of no better All-inclusive on the island. There was a shortage of Bombay Sapphire at the beginning of the week #(imagine) – rectified by the ever-resourceful Karen Antoine! I hope we left some for the guests coming in the following week!
After a very busy 9 days on the island, I needed a rest – and East Winds proved the perfect place to be…. What also made this a special week this time were the other guests – a really interesting mix of people who were fun to be with but who also respected everyones’ personal space. Some were repeat guests from last year and it was great to meet up again. Hello Sandy and Clare, and Pauline and Robin, Graham and Pam etc. I hope very much to meet you again…. You all made the holiday for me…
I tried yoga for the first time – albeit with a broken toe, and the instructor took great care. I enjoyed it very much and relaxing in the lovely yoga pavilion listening to the birds and wind caressing the trees was great. I might try pilates next time. It was nice to have the privacy to set up some meetings with friends on the island and Francis Reynolds in Security did a good job.
Hobie cat sailing was great fun with Kensley and, as usual, I improved my sailing under his tuition.
Both my husband and a lovely young lady called Pippa played the Steinway and it was also good to renew our acquaintance with Dien – a very talented pianist. I loved the sax/trombone combo too.
As always, with an eye for detail (!), there were some very minor issues.
The cleaning of the communal areas was not quite as good as previously. We did notice some smeared table tops in the main lounge and also some untidiness in the pool area where stuff had not been cleared – an empty can on the ground occasionally for example. I would pick up the odd thing myself and put it in the bin!
Mosquitos around the bar area near the pool. This should have been sprayed, they were a nuisance!
One lunchtime the “Cabana service” was not quite as it should be due to a shortage of staff in the restaurant. I only noticed this because it was so unusual in that we practically had to beg for a second glass of wine. ... However, well done to Debbie, Mavis and Fina for their constant and attentive service, Hanna for her wonderful cocktails, Windel for” just being him” and having me in fits of laughter one night when we invited some local friends to dinner, Kirby, Kirwen, Jacob, Gurvy, Ellie, Henry and many others…
So, I am already planning another week at wonderful East Winds next year.
Last but not least, a special thank you to Mr Gareth Leach for care and kindness when we shared a flight back to the UK. It was very much appreciated…. x
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover Saint Lucia’s best kept secret and immerse yourself in true Caribbean luxury. East Winds Saint Lucia is a breathtaking garden-by-the-sea, planted on the island's most picturesque sandy bay. Our Island Hideaway is Saint Lucia's original boutique resort featuring 30 cottage style suites, tucked away amongst lush plants, trees and a kaleidoscope of colourful bird-life. East Winds is home to what many consider the finest beach on the island and our guests share it with very few others just like them; travellers looking for personalised care and all-inclusive service in the most authentic of Caribbean experiences. Come experience the Caribbean the way it was meant to be experienced. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with West Indies, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your East Winds reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- East Winds Hotel Gros Islet
- East Winds Resort All Inclusive
- East Winds St. Lucia/Gros Islet