The start to our St. Lucia holiday was not auspicious – a six-hour mechanical airplane delay in Toronto resulted in a post 10 pm arrival at East Winds. It was tough to take after the redeye flight from Calgary the previous night. From there on in everything was exceptional – Gareth’s friendly greeting upon arrival; luggage whisked away to our charming and very comfortable room; fruit & sandwich platter awaiting to appease our palates after the long journey; a quick walk on the lovely beach and finally our discovery tour of the dining facilities to find the charming & engaging Titus in residence serving in the Bamboo Lounge.
Throughout our two week stay, some themes were constant – the wonderful serenity of the resort, the incredible staff, the amazing cuisine & beverage service, soothing and varied entertainment, lovely beach with the private palm gazebos, beautiful gardens, lively social interaction with the other guests. Two of these themes deserve repetition – STAFF and CUISINE. To give credit to the staff by name would be too lengthy but suffice it to say we were most impressed by their friendliness and attention to detail. They are exceptional! As for the dining experience we can only say one must experience it personally – check out the local fishing boats landing on the East Winds beach midday delivering the FRESH catch. A word of caution – pace yourself if you do not have an expandable wardrobe.
While we did not feel compelled to leave the resort, we did tour St. Lucia somewhat. We quite enjoyed the sailing to Soufiere, the local bus rides to Rodney Bay, and the wander through the Saturday market in Castries. Somehow we missed the rainforest excursions but that will happen on a future visit.
To be candid for a moment – East Winds is definitely not for all. As a small resort it clearly knows its focus appealing to the discriminating traveller. Do not visit if you expect action packed activities dawn to dusk or super luxurious appointments of the facilities! If your tastes lean to the unpretentious, friendly, and complete enjoyment, East Winds is for you.
Unfortunately we were too early to be able to take full advantage of the new yoga and games facilities (we did manage to sneak in some ping pong games) and the exercise track around the whole site (certainly walked the proposed route without the exercise stations in place). FORTUNATELY these facilities are now in place, which gives us another reason for returning to East Winds – as if we needed one!
While we are seasoned travellers having visited all seven continents, East Winds was our first experience with a TRULY all inclusive resort. The benchmark has been set – rather than seek an alternative we will definitely return to East Winds in the near future – perfection is tough to beat!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover Saint Lucia’s best kept secret and immerse yourself in true Caribbean luxury. East Winds Saint Lucia is a breathtaking garden-by-the-sea, planted on the island's most picturesque sandy bay. Our Island Hideaway is Saint Lucia's original boutique resort featuring 30 cottage style suites, tucked away amongst lush plants, trees and a kaleidoscope of colourful bird-life. East Winds is home to what many consider the finest beach on the island and our guests share it with very few others just like them; travellers looking for personalised care and all-inclusive service in the most authentic of Caribbean experiences. Come experience the Caribbean the way it was meant to be experienced. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, Travelbag, West Indies, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your East Winds reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- East Winds Hotel Gros Islet
- East Winds Resort All Inclusive
- East Winds St. Lucia/Gros Islet