5 people are viewing this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
US$1,322
View deal
TravelocityUS$1,322
Hotels.comUS$1,322
TripadvisorUS$1,322
Orbitz.comUS$1,322
Priceline
1,079 results
All reviews fitness trail bamboo lounge deluxe cottage sunken shower head gardener other guests four courses yoga pavilion st lucia sunset cruise steel band local musicians humming birds garden tour each evening breakfast and lunch the cottages
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 December 2017

Or some spell it porage which apparently is actually a word made up by A&R Scott in 1914 when they launched their brand of oats. It combined the old Scots word poray with the French word potage.

Anyway, I digress. I like porridge. It is one of those hearty breakfast cereals (mixed with water or milk, nuked in the microwave and then covered in lashings of syrup or sugar) which are absolutely perfect when the weather turns cold as it often does here in the UK, it makes you feel full and warm

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine I would eat it for breakfast in the Caribbean. Never. However I was recovering from an upset tummy and needed something “safe” to eat for breakfast so porridge it was. And do you know something? It was absolutely delicious never mind the outside temperature being nearer 100 degrees F rather than near freezing.

This was our sixth stay at East Winds over the last three years. And, just like the others, it was pretty much perfect.

The whole mood of EW is one of happy relaxation. As always the staff make this happiness happen. And “the staff” is without exception. The laughter of the big man Titus or that of the wonderful Windell or the beautiful Septima is gloriously infectious. As is that of the amazing Miriam and Selma and Sylvia and ...here I go again so I shall stop before I list everyone, I did that in a previous report.

With one exception the other hotel guests were a brilliant fun bunch and we laughed a lot. It, of course, helped that we had met some before on previous visits but the newbies (older and younger) were great too. It has been said many times before but it was like being at a big house party to which we felt fortunate to be invited.

By the way, the one exception was a fellow who had obviously decided that making eye contact with a chap with an earring (me) was socially unacceptable. Or maybe it was because I was drinking rosé? Anyway, that was his problem, the poor dear.

Back to matters more important. The weather was excellent most of the time, lovely hot days and not too much rain. There was one day however when we did have torrential rain in the afternoon. Unfortunately, while that was happening, I was trapped alone under cover at the pool. I did however have all the booze and those mixers with which to entertain myself. I think I had a good time, I say “think” because I simply cannot remember.

I managed to “capture” some of the flora and fauna with my camera although there seemed fewer of the hummers in attendance. The gardens, as always, looked fabulous (well done Sylvanus), although not everything was in bloom.

The booze and food offerings were great. As usual we did not need to open the bottle of sparkling wine left in our room. And this is the trip on which we discovered chocolate martinis, yummy.

Lunch is always the stand out meal for me, lots and lots of delicious choices including some local fare. There were several occasions when I would have preferred to see some of the lunch offerings on the dinner menu, for instance, Harry’s superb shrimp soup and some of that roast beef or the gammon or the paella etc etc etc.

East Winds is not perfect for everyone, how could it be? And is anywhere? There will always be little niggles or irritations here and there but they are invariably trivial and have no bearing on the overall experience. And if those irritations do irritate then tell someone and if they are possible to sort out then they will be sorted. Giving the excellent Judith and her team a chance to make things better for you is preferable to saying nothing and then coming on here to have a moan.

My pet (non solvable) irritation is the lounger reservation malarkey. I realise that some want THEIR place for a variety of reasons but, for the first time in our stays, a couple of poolside loungers were getting the benefit of the pre breakfast towels. I am not sure why.

And, on a general point, I really do wish the hotel was a completely non-smoking resort because I do not enjoy the stink of others cigar/cigarette smoke on my clothes never mind the guest smoking at breakfast never mind the fag ends stubbed out on the ground. Not nice.

Well that has got my blood pressure up so I had better go and have a lie down but before I do I shall simply summarise positively by saying:

We look forward to our stays at East Winds and we thoroughly enjoy our time there. The hotel and the EW team ring every right bell for us.
We shall return.

Thank you for reading.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank grumpyoldchap
Judith M, Manager at East Winds, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2017

Dear grumpyoldchap,

Lovely to hear from you and thanks for the 5 star review! We love it when you both come and stay - always a fun time and great for nice chats.

I thought I would explain a couple of your comments as the subjects have come up recently with other guests.

The garden is not as full of flowers at the moment (nor is the island) after the terrible hurricane season this year, it seems to have affected the flora and delayed some of the bursts of colour that we usually experience at this time of year.

The other one that surprised me was the comment about smoking, we are totally non-smoking in the bars and restaurant areas, smoking should only happen outside and we get so few smokers these days that it isn't usually a problem. I wish I had known that someone was smoking in the restaurant as it's something we don't like. The building are traditionally made with wood and straw and flammable so smoking is a no-no.

So glad you enjoyed the porridge, I must remember to try some...

Look forward to seeing you again soon, we love sharing your island home!

Reviewed 6 December 2017

I stayed at East Winds for 3 nights as part of my recent 10 night trip to lovely St Lucia. We stayed in a Superior Cottage which is the lead in room type and it was lovely. Quite adequate for our needs and beautifully located near to dining room, bar and pool or beach for swimming. There are water sports available, but I didn't avail myself of these. This is truly all inclusive, with even the help yourself pool bar giving cocktail instructions.
The staff are amazing too, they really look after you and the lovely lady at the spa has healing hands.
would I go again? not for 3 days.......3 weeks would be far better!! it was a wonderful haven that I will be going back to.

Room tip: It depends on your n.eds but check the website or email them
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends

Hi AnnBBury

Thank you for your lovely review! You are right that 3 days is never enough to really relax and get into the East Winds vibe!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back for a longer visit next time,

Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

There really is nothing I can add to what has been said on the other reviews: East Winds is a truly exceptional place!
We had never visited before but were made to feel completely at home as soon as we arrived ( it normally takes me a couple of days to unwind on holiday- here it took a couple of seconds!). We really felt like we were part of a big family-absolutely all of the staff are genuinely pleased that you are there & are so friendly & helpful. The whole setup encourages you to meet other guests, adding to the “good vibes” & enjoyment of the holiday experience at East Winds.
The food is outstanding with four course evening meals as good as virtually any restaurant we have visited in the UK. The wines are superb offering a good choice & changing every night to match the meal. Barbecue nights ( Fridays) offer lobster & Angus steak. Quite often lunch was from the barbecue but also offered options to try other local cuisine.
There is a wide selection of high quality spirits & the champagne flows freely! The cocktails were also thoroughly enjoyed!
We stayed in a superior cottage- lots of room & storage space, very comfortable bed & bathroom with shower. Convenient for the pool area, bars & restaurant & beech. The only very slight issue we had from the entire holiday was that the temperature of the shower was difficult to control.
I don’t think reviews can really do East Winds justice- you just have to go to experience it!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank 777jonathane
Judith M, Manager at East Winds, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2017

Hi Jonathan

Thank you for your lovely review. It's great to meet new people who love East Winds as much as we do and the team are all so delighted that you had a great time.

I really hope that you decide to come back and see us again, we will be happy to welcome you back to your new island home.

Next week we are installing larger hot water tanks on those specific rooms, so if you stay in the same place you wont have a problem!!

Warmest wishes
Managing Director

Reviewed 25 November 2017 via mobile

Just returned from a wonderful stay at East Winds. The resort is absolutely perfect - discreet, intimate, understated and the staff could not be more accommodating and friendly. You can also have a complimentary half hour treatment in the spa during your stay. The massage was amazing!

Accommodation consists of 30 individual cottage style suites set in immaculate grounds. We had a deluxe room which was beautiful. Very spacious with a huge comfy bed and recently upgraded bathroom with a sunken, walk in shower and beautiful ceramic basins made by a local artisan. The quality of the food is excellent and the staff are more than happy to accommodate any special requests. Cocktails are made to order too! Breakfast and lunch are buffet style, sometimes with a barbecue at lunch, dinner is a fine dining experience in the elegant restaurant with views over the Caribbean and a grand piano playing in the background.

Two very minor negatives: we both returned with quite a few mosquito bites despite regular ‘misting’ of the property so will definitely take extra precautions next time. Also, I opted to have a reflexology treatment in the spa after my wonderful complimentary massage. This treatment was definitely not worth the $115 I was charged for it and only lasted 40 minutes, not the hour listed on the treatment menu. Very disappointing. These are minor points though.

There is no doubt that we will return to East Winds, it’s an absolute gem of a place!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank tiggy27
Judith M, Manager at East Winds, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2017

Dear tiggy27

Thank you so much for the review, I really appreciate it, I am so happy that you had a nice time at East Winds and I have passed on all your lovely comments to the various departments.

I am so sorry that you suffered from mosquito bites while you were here, we do supply 2 types of spray in the rooms, one natural spray which is often a preference for those guests who don't want to use chemical sprays, but if you are someone who is susceptible to bites then we do also supply a stronger spray that usually stops everything. There is also a room spray for spraying before dinner to make sure that no mosquitoes are in the room when you go to bed.

I was particularly sorry to hear about the spa treatment and appreciate you pointing out the treatment that was shorter than expected. We will make sure that doesn't happen again, we get so many very positive comments about our therapist Teresa that I was surprised to hear that you were disappointed.

I know it takes time and effort to write reviews, so thanks again and hope to see you in 2018!

Reviewed 25 November 2017

We have just returned from 10 days at East Winds which is small and intimate and so relaxing and I cant praise it highly enough. It must be one of the most friendly hotels I have ever stayed in. The staff are all so lovely and so good at their jobs, but also such good fun. The beach is beautiful. We stayed in bungalow 2 which was near to the beach and pool and was decked out with fresh flowers on our arrival. The restaurant is right on the beach and it was lovely eating delicious food and drinking delicious wine whilst listening to the waves. I had 3 spa treatments which were amazing. The yoga and Pilates were excellent. The gardens are beautiful and lovingly tended. For me this is one of the most charming hotels I have ever stayed in.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends
4  Thank Heather R

Hi Heather

Lovely to hear from you and thank you so much for the very kind review. You were model guests and we all enjoyed your stay.

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us!

Managing Director