“Even better than the last time we visited!”
Review of East Winds

East Winds
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Gros Islet
Calgary, Alberta
“Even better than the last time we visited!”
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Well, we now happily fall into the ever-expanding category of “East Winds Inn Repeat Guests”! We recently returned from our second visit to this glorious piece of heaven – having been for our first time almost two years ago to celebrate our honeymoon.

We chose to return for many of the same reasons that attracted us to the resort in the first place. Over the past couple of years, we have been following the consistently high reviews of East Winds on TripAdvisor from other visitors so we knew that our special gem had maintained its “Timeless Seaside Elegance”. It was quite special returning to East Winds: the staff remembered us by name, and seeing them again felt like seeing old friends.

The meals set in the open-air, ocean-side restaurant were delightful. We ate lunch each day in a private thatched roof cabana on the beach. The warm scones served poolside at afternoon tea were delicious. Also, the addition of the magnificent copper Elektra cappuccino machine was greatly appreciated for us coffee enthusiasts, and we enjoyed espresso based beverages at breakfast and after dinner.

Our room was a bit farther from the beach this time, but we loved its quiet location and we appreciated the little extra walking distance through the manicured gardens. The walk-in stone shower was so unique. We enjoyed playing Scrabble on our terrace in the afternoons. The bed linens are luxurious and beautiful, and I particularly like the decorative butterfly pillows.

Once again, my husband, an avid scuba diver, benefited from the proximity of the East Caribbean Divers location, just a short walk down the beach. He was able to have breakfast at East Winds, go out for a couple of dives, and be back in time for lunch.

Since our honeymoon in 2008, we observed several new additions at EWI: the beautiful open air yoga pavilion, table tennis pavilion, and the Fitness Trail. Yoga is held twice a week in the morning, and a few of the guests partook. The instructor also offers private classes upon request. The Fitness Trail, still under construction during our visit, offers a decidedly un-gym-like exercise opportunity. It is a path meandering around the grounds, with exercise stations positioned along the way. Activity level is adaptable to individual fitness levels. Even without partaking in the exercise stations, the trail offers an invigorating walk around the property. We enjoyed being able to take in the beauty of the grounds while benefiting from some exercise.

We also noticed the water sports have improved, thanks to the enthusiastic staff, Borden and Johnny. We enjoyed going out for a sail with them on the Hobie Cats.

This time, we purchased our souvenirs from the East Winds Inn gift shop. While it looks tiny from the outside, there is a wide variety of items perfectly organized inside. Juliana, the lovely lady who runs the shop, sells the gorgeous butterfly pillowcases made by Bagshaws in St. Lucia that are found on the guest beds, so you can take a piece of East Winds home with you. The postcard selection has been totally upgraded too and there are some beautiful scenic photos of the resort.

One of the many special touches at East Winds is the nightly musical entertainment. There is a good variety of musical styles, from the “Shuck-Shuck” Caribbean-style group, to the jazz evening with saxophone, to the local guitar and percussion duo. For us, however, the highlight is unquestionably Dein on the Steinway. He is a superb musician, and his imaginative playing clearly captivated the diners each night that he played.

We always felt very safe at the resort – the security department staff members are extremely professional, unobtrusive and very friendly.

If you are looking for quiet serenity, a gorgeous beach with your own private thatched sun hut and lounge chairs, quality food, wines and beverages, helpful and friendly staff, interesting and respectful guests, then East Winds is the place for you. We will be back again and look forward to reconnecting with some of our East Winds friends – both staff and other repeat guests.

2 Thank Velvey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Canada
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Service with a smile! From the moment you arrive, all the staff at East Winds are so lovely, friendly and accommodating. It’s the kind of place where you get to know everyone by name very quickly, and they know yours as well.

It's very easy to fall into a relaxing routine at East Winds. Your day includes delicious meals, drinks by (or on) the beach, plenty of sun and swimming, and winding down at the bamboo lounge before dinner (and the ambience of the bamboo lounge is truly wonderful).

We really enjoyed the meals – they had a fine balance between local and international flavours. What stuck with us is how fresh everything is, from the fruit to the seafood. It really makes a difference. At lunch, you can take advantage of the outdoor huts if you'd like a more private dining experience. For the evening meal, there is always something intriguing to try for all of the courses and we found the selection of wine fantastic as well. There is also live music most nights – the piano is an amazing touch.

We had an incredible room not far from the beach, where we could relax and watch the sunset. We had plenty of space and enjoyed how the living space and bedrooms were divided. The decor is really charming and overall it was a great place to sit back and debrief about the day.

The beach is picture perfect – the best in the area. There are plenty of sun huts and lounges for everyone and the water is great for swimming. The surrounding gardens and walking paths are also great if you want to get out and explore the beautiful St. Lucian environment without leaving the resort.

We highly recommend East Winds to anyone who is interested in taking a break and really being taken care of by a great group of people.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JandCCanada
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2010

To better characterize this review I will start by describing who we are as a couple since who you are certainly changes how you view a place. We (one Brit and one American) have both traveled extensively and globally for work and pleasure and were looking for a no fuss boutique all-inclusive that was easy to reach from both the US and the UK as we would be traveling from the US but returning to the UK where we reside.

It had to have a good beach and I didn't want to playing silly games "reserving" a beach lounger with a towel or magazine at 6am. The food needed to be good with lots of local seafood. Someplace close to town wasn't really consideration since we don't go on vacation to shop or sit in a bar. The rooms needed to be comfortable and tasteful but certainly not extravagant.

The beach was lovely although small. Not a strand of seaweed in sight with beautiful clear blue water. There were enough palapas and loungers for every guest without any jostling for position. The pool is small but that didn't really bother us as we are beach folk more than anything. We had room #27 I believe and it was a suite which had a direct ocean view and the sand was one a few short feet from the room. The location of the room and cottage couldn't be beat. The room itself however I felt was a disappointment in terms of quality for this price. The room had a "king bed" which was really two single beds shoved together. Not oh so romantic nor relaxing for someone to be forever stuck in the crevice of the bed. The room itself including the furniture and fixtures were a bit dated but nothing too notable. The hot water tank did not contain enough hot water for two lazy showers. The AC drove me a bit nuts and would have been virtually unworkable for any older guests as the display screen on the remote was barely readable. You really wouldn't need the AC if the sliding glass door had screens but alas this is not the case. A simple upgrade that would make a difference. We did end up requesting a mosquito net which they graciously provided as we did encounter an issue with the dreaded squeeters. I would recommend asking for one ahead of time. Also if you plan to wear a dress to dinner OFF bug spray becomes a necessity. I didn't use it the first night and paid the price. When the owners tell you it's "authentic" Caribbean it's a bit like when the real estate agent tells you the house is "cozy". In my humble opinion the rooms should be upgraded to justify the price.

The food was good and I think most folks would find something to eat at all times. They did a good job accommodating a range of international tastes although nearly the entire resort was British thanks to the direct flight from Gatwick, London. The service was variable. Some of the staff were excellent, friendly and helpful whilst others especially in the restaurant were uncommunicative and a bit frustrating really. We did observe one interesting trend and that even if we ordered drinks or dinner before an older couple the older couple was always served first. A culture difference? I have no idea but it was a bit bothersome. We did wait one night at dinner for over hour for the main course but I believe this was the exception rather than the rule. However there really was no apology from the fellow who seemed to be in charge of the restaurant staff which would have gone a long way. As I said some were great some especially in restaurant could use a bit more training.

They did play live music every night which varied from great local bands to truly bad elevator piano music. The piano music was just tortuous one night was were listening to the "wind beneath my wings" for the third time. The guests clearly preferred the local bands and I would encourage them to move more in that musical direction. If they carry on with the piano perhaps a less elevator like set of music would help.

The water sports crew were fantastic and very competent and friendly. I would highly recommend taking out the hobby cats with the staff. We also did a few day trips such as adrenaline (zip lining), horseback riding and diving. I'd give the zip lining a thumbs up and the other two a thumbs down. We paid for a two hour horseback riding tour which at Trims stables I believe they were called. What we got was a 20 minute walk through a less than scenic neighborhood and some shrubs down to the beach were they dismounted us in front of a stand selling tourists goods which were pushed quite hard. This little maneuver was not appreciated. We then stood there for a half hour. Some folks took this opportunity to take the horses into the water and swim with them which was fantastic. We then made the twenty minute trek back. While the swimming bit was great the rest including the staff and the manageability of the horses were poor. This is not a trip for inexperienced riders as they offered no instruction and poorly trained horses. Some people truly struggled with horses that were bucking and bolting which was not pleasant for them. I did my best to help those less experienced riders but really it was a bit out of control. Also the riding hats which were mandatory did not look as if they had ever been cleaned and were going from one person to the next. This yuck factor might put a few people off.

The diving was great but the dive operator was not. I would not recommend Scuba Steve's to anyone. He is simply an unpleasant person who spent the entire time telling us how one of his dogs bit a local child and he was refusing to allow the vet to examine the dog for diseases. I suggested he simply show the vaccination record to which his reply is they don't have any. St. Lucia has great dive sites you don't need to patronize this place to get to them.

In total we had a nice vacation. The beach is perfect. The food is good. Is it enough that we will go back? Probably not. For this price there are many many options to explore.

One last tip: if you get car sick do take the helicopter transfer from the airport. By car it's about 1.5 hours through some very twisty hilly terrain. The helicopter it's about 15 minutes. I believe the price was $115 per person for the heli transfer.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SaltyDog79
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Reviewed 29 March 2010

This is my first review on Trip Advisor, I work part time as a travel agent in Halifax Nova Scotia. This is also the first time at East Winds. My girlfriend and I were looking for a very special place to escape to for the Holidays. We found a goo deal for East Winds and after checking the reviews here, we booked the trip in October 09. We stayed for two weeks over Christmas and New Years. I don't think there is a better time to come here actually.

We were a little hesitant to be truthful, as it seemed that it might be too quiet for us, but as the date approached, we both realized we needed peace more than anything. We were not disappointed at all. The staff were amazing, the food was incredible, and the wine was fantastic. I am sure I will run out of words to express how much we enjoyed ourselves here. The staff went out of their way to learn our names quickly, Gareth met us at the weekly managers champagne reception the night we arrived, more than a little tired. We enjoyed the real champagne, and were overwhelmed by our first dinner experienced. Everything went uphill from there. We actually keep coming back to the staff, awesomely friendly? Might say it.

We relaxed, and drank and ate for two weeks, LoL. Not sure they were entirely ready for us Canadian partyers a few nights. We never understood why the bar closed so early and the pool even earlier, so two nights we rebelled, and brought all our beer from the fridge in our room and went for a swim. Even with clear signage saying Pool Closed. Nothing was said except by one other guest, only when asked by me. Even the security staff walking by the pool repeatedly, didn't kick us out or even comment. Classy even if we weren't always. No harm.

One special thing was tea every afternoon by the pool. We aren't from the UK, so didn't follow that tradition, except for the fantastic fruit cake everyday. And speaking of the pool, who ever heard of a Self Serve Swim Up Pool Bar, speachless is what I am. LoL

One comment on the liquor that was special. If you asked for a G&T, you were asked, "what kind of Gin Sir?" or Rum or Vodka. I think there might have been 5 or 6 types of Gin alone. And don't mention the port selection. Heavenly. They also weren't sure about filling our huge insulated beach cups we brought. Canadians generally don't like to spend their time walking back and forth to the bar, but they just smiled knowingly and filled our request and mega-cups. I wouldn't say they were glad to see us go, but we did disrupt things a little I think, ayy Gareth. ;)

Wanted to mention our cottage, we were in one of the units without AC, we were unsure about this, but what a pleasant experience. There are actually no glass windows at all, just large wooden shutters. So that essentially, you are almost outside, we could hear the ocean, but in the morning, the hundreds maybe thousands of birds began with their song all around us. It was amazing and wouldn't trade it for AC ever.

We also partook of the books and games in the Pavillion attached to the restaurant, there was Wi-Fi here as well. One day we were playing Scrabble, actually I was getting thrashed. There was an older, very nice, couple there playing as well. We struck up a conversation with them. They had been on a sail boat with a large family group for Christmas, and had left the group to take a break, at East Winds, from the rigours of a tossing deck. We had a nice conversation with them over the next week or so. Then on New Years Eve, we saw them dining in a far corner with a few people not from the resort. Then we were shocked to see and learn who their son was. I won't tell here, but he is one of the biggest names in Rock and Roll history ever. I couldn't bring myself to approach either, and such a nice quiet couple too . . . . .

Well in closing, we truly enjoyed ourselves, Borden took us to the Jump Up and everyone made us feel so welcome. We have no reservation in recommending East Winds to our friends, family or anyone looking for truly quality, elegant relaxation. A true gem for sure..

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Shredney
Denver, CO
Reviewed 29 March 2010

We recently returned from a wonderful one-week getaway to the East Winds, and my wife and I both ranked it as one of our favorite destinations. The setting is gorgeous, with a narrow sandy beach that comes up to the bar and dining area, beautiful water lapping against the shore, and palm trees rustling in the wind. The service -- food, drinks and watersports -- was exactly what you would expect from such a nice resort, and the people were very friendly and open to talking about the island.

To put this review in context, my wife and I are in our late 30s and do not have children. We try to find small, independently-run boutique hotels, preferably without children, and we enjoy meeting people from around the globe. We are scuba divers, but we also like to relax on the beach during our vacation. We try to go to a new place on every vacation, even though it is tempting to return to our favorite places.

We found East Winds through tripadvisor (it was mentioned in a review for another resort we were considering, and that reviewer much preferred the East Winds Inn). We don’t travel often to the Caribbean because we prefer more isolated, out-of-the-way destinations, but we couldn’t sneak away for more than a week this Spring, so we set out to find a Caribbean resort that offered the same middle-of-nowhere experience that we have found in the South Pacific. We both agreed that we found exactly that -- our own Caribbean paradise.

East Winds has its own little stretch of beach right in front of the resort. There are no private beaches in St. Lucia, but the beach is effectively private because of its remoteness. As mentioned in other reviews, you can walk between the East Winds beach and the Windjammer beach, but there is a section of rocks that divides them. In our experience, this was easy enough for us to traverse (to get to the scuba shop at the Windjammer), but managed to discourage everyone staying at Windjammer from coming to the East Winds beach (this is a good thing). Part of this, we were told, is that many people at the Windjammer don’t realize the East Winds is a resort, and think it is a private residence.

We stayed in a Superior Room and it was very nice and clean. We didn’t notice the lack of air conditioning at all and were very pleased with the room. The room was serviced every day without us even knowing when they came and went. The minibar was also stocked daily with Piton beer, the local brew (and one of my absolute favorite vacation beers. Also try the local Bounty and Chairman’s Reserve rums -- excellent!) With the exception of an occasional barking dog from a nearby road, we never had a problem with leaving the windows open. Mosquitos were present in the early morning and evening, but never inside the room (which is stocked with bug spray in case you need it.) However, make sure you pack some mosquito repellant for dinner and drinks in the evening. We had a small container of Natrapel and I don’t recall getting any mosquito bites.

The pool was another highlight of the facilities for us. It’s not an extravagant pool like you find at many resorts, but rather an understated getaway set about 100 feet from the shore. It was the perfect place to cool off after a few hours laying in the sun, and the self-service swim-up bar was one of our favorite hangouts. There were never more than a few people in the pool at one time, and most of the time we had it entirely to ourselves, which makes you feel like you’re staying at a private house rather than a resort. The pool also has a few floating chairs that are perfect for lounging in the afternoon, and the area is so secluded that we would actually fall asleep while floating in the pool.

The rest of the facilities also share that same tasteful, understated decor. The open-air game room set just off the restaurant was favorite evening hangout. We fell into the custom of having a drink or two before dinner and talking with other guests, and retiring again after dinner for a nightcap or three. The restaurant is fabulous and honestly does everything well, rather than specializing on a specific type of food. The wine pairings are also very a very nice mix of European, American, South American and Austalian wines the complement the menus nicely. Our favorite mean was the barbeque night with a live creole band (try everything, but especially the fresh grilled shrimp and fish). We danced near our table and then on the beach, and when I went to get a few glasses of champagne, one of the staff taught my wife a Creole dance. We didn’t have a single disappointing meal at the restaurant. On thing to note when you pack is that the restaurant is casual during the day, but formal at night. Pack a few pairs of long pants for the evenings. Collared, short-sleeved shirts were fine. During the day, the restaurant is much more relaxed, and we would usually wander in from the beach in our swimwear. Breakfast and lunch were buffets, but the food was outstanding and the omelet bar was wonderful.

The watersports guys were great. There are kayaks and paddle boats right on the beach, but the star of the show is the Hobie cat. Borden taught me to sail one in about an hour and was always taking people out, whether they wanted to learn or just wanted to go for a sail. He was a great instructor and we had a great time! He also invited us to go to the Friday Night Jump-Up with him.

There are also other facilities, such as an open-air yoga pavilion, a fitness trail, and other diversions if you want to get a little exercise in paradise. There is also a resident taxi you can use to get to town if you want to shop or would like to go out at night.

My wife and I are in our thirties and and were a bit younger than many of the guests. Part of this is probably due to the cost of the resort, but also because the room was filled with people who have been going there for years. Out of all the people we met, I think only one other couple was on their first visit to the East Winds. Perhaps because we were younger, or perhaps because we were the only Americans staying at the resort that week, the other guests were a bit reserved when we first arrived. However, by the end of the week we had talked or shared a round of drinks with almost every guest (I think 30 of the 32 rooms were occupied during our stay). We had such a wonderful time talking with the other couples, but especially about their travels. One night we were sipping rum with an older couple and we asked them their favorite vacation. The both responded instantly -- “Antarctica, two years ago. It was amazing!”. Whatever the age difference, we all shared the same love of travel and adventure, and talking with other guests about their travels was an absolute highlight of the trip. If you enjoy meeting and talking with interesting people, you won’t be disappointed with the wonderful people you will meet at East Winds.

We made many friends while we were there (including two Canadian couples that were part of the group that owns the resort), and we also spoke often with George and Marilyn, who own and manage the resort. They were very interested in our stay and our thoughts on the resort, though without intruding on our relaxation. We saw them often at dinner or after-dinner drinks and they shared so much of what they were doing with the resort. Again, it felt like we were staying at a friend’s house, rather than a resort.

Lastly, for anyone interested in scuba while they are at the East Winds, the resort is about a 4-5 minute walk from the scuba shop at the Windjammer (which is the reason you would ever walk over to the Windjammer. The facilities and beach are much, much nicer at the East Winds.) A word of warning, however -- the scuba shop, though it is linked on the East Winds Web site, is not affiliated with the East Winds and operates on “island time”. The dives were very nice, but be sure to find out where you are diving before each trip, how many people are on the dive, whether they are picking up cruise ship passengers (this can add 2 hours to your trip), and what time you will return. We love diving, but sitting on a boat waiting on cruise ship passengers is not our idea of a good time, especially when we knew we could be back at the East Winds relaxing by the waves.

There are so many wonderful things to say about the East Winds that we could write three times as much. But the bottom line is this: if you want a secluded, peaceful Caribbean vacation, you can’t do better than the East Winds. Whether you want to relax on the beach and keep to yourself, or meet interesting and wonderful people, you will find it at East Winds. And a special thanks to Borden, Windell, Kerwin, Titus, Hannah, and all the staff at East Winds for sharing their culture with us and making our stay so wonderful. We started to miss East Winds as soon as we left!

3 Thank TravAll
West Sussex
Reviewed 21 March 2010

This was our fourth holiday at East Winds, a resort that has now become our favourite holiday destination.
The most friendly and attentive staff anyone could wish for. The majority of them have been working at East Winds for years and years and are genuinely caring in the service they provide. Exquisite food and good wines. Pleasant background entertainment in the evenings and Saturday lunchtime's steelband add to the enjoyable atmosphere.

We stayed in a de-luxe room, always beautifully maintained. We loved the little terrace outside it that overlooks the beautiful garden and that continuously was visited by various types of birds, incl. humming birds. Here we had our morning coffee and our afternoon drink (all from the little terrace 'kitchen').

Excellent beach facilities, no overcrowding of any kind, and a good selection of water sports. We tried sailing as well as yoga, table tennis as well as the fitness track. But most of all we were simply enjoying BEING THERE!!!
Peace and tranquility, friendly atmosphere, first class service from beginning to end. The owners used to come here on holiday themselves and knew what they liked. Fortunately, they are determined to keep this most perfect atmosphere that makes East Winds such a unique place.
We'll be returning for the fifth time in February 2011!!!

2 Thank happytwins
Warwick
Reviewed 20 March 2010

We enjoyed our first trip to East Winds and were a little apprehensive that we were viewing the previous holiday through nostalgic rose tinted spectacles. We were happy to find that our memory had not played tricks on us.

We stayed in one of the superior cottages which was large and very comfortable.
The meals were of a consistent high standard and accompanied with a good selection of wines. Pre dinner drinks at the bar included champagne. Fish was delivered by the local fishermen to the beach and the Chef came down to select what he required.
There were more than enough sun loungers, on the beach and around the pool, for everyone and no need to get up early to bag a lounger.
As well as kayaks and pedalos there is now the recent addition of two small sailing catermarans for use by guests. With encouragement from both John and Boden and tempted by the calm sea and light winds at 70 years of age I ventured out on a Hobby Cat. Their expert tuition soon had me sailing, an exilerating experience which I shall always remember.
If you wish to dance the night away and enjoy loud piped music throughout the resort then East Winds, is not for you. However, if your wish is to chill out in the sun,swim in the pool or warm sea, doze or read, eat well, expend a little energy to give yourself an appetite then East Winds is the place just for you.

3 Thank Wbajesse
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,078 reviews
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 12 in Gros Islet

Been to East Winds? Share your experiences!