Well, we now happily fall into the ever-expanding category of “East Winds Inn Repeat Guests”! We recently returned from our second visit to this glorious piece of heaven – having been for our first time almost two years ago to celebrate our honeymoon.
We chose to return for many of the same reasons that attracted us to the resort in the first place. Over the past couple of years, we have been following the consistently high reviews of East Winds on TripAdvisor from other visitors so we knew that our special gem had maintained its “Timeless Seaside Elegance”. It was quite special returning to East Winds: the staff remembered us by name, and seeing them again felt like seeing old friends.
The meals set in the open-air, ocean-side restaurant were delightful. We ate lunch each day in a private thatched roof cabana on the beach. The warm scones served poolside at afternoon tea were delicious. Also, the addition of the magnificent copper Elektra cappuccino machine was greatly appreciated for us coffee enthusiasts, and we enjoyed espresso based beverages at breakfast and after dinner.
Our room was a bit farther from the beach this time, but we loved its quiet location and we appreciated the little extra walking distance through the manicured gardens. The walk-in stone shower was so unique. We enjoyed playing Scrabble on our terrace in the afternoons. The bed linens are luxurious and beautiful, and I particularly like the decorative butterfly pillows.
Once again, my husband, an avid scuba diver, benefited from the proximity of the East Caribbean Divers location, just a short walk down the beach. He was able to have breakfast at East Winds, go out for a couple of dives, and be back in time for lunch.
Since our honeymoon in 2008, we observed several new additions at EWI: the beautiful open air yoga pavilion, table tennis pavilion, and the Fitness Trail. Yoga is held twice a week in the morning, and a few of the guests partook. The instructor also offers private classes upon request. The Fitness Trail, still under construction during our visit, offers a decidedly un-gym-like exercise opportunity. It is a path meandering around the grounds, with exercise stations positioned along the way. Activity level is adaptable to individual fitness levels. Even without partaking in the exercise stations, the trail offers an invigorating walk around the property. We enjoyed being able to take in the beauty of the grounds while benefiting from some exercise.
We also noticed the water sports have improved, thanks to the enthusiastic staff, Borden and Johnny. We enjoyed going out for a sail with them on the Hobie Cats.
This time, we purchased our souvenirs from the East Winds Inn gift shop. While it looks tiny from the outside, there is a wide variety of items perfectly organized inside. Juliana, the lovely lady who runs the shop, sells the gorgeous butterfly pillowcases made by Bagshaws in St. Lucia that are found on the guest beds, so you can take a piece of East Winds home with you. The postcard selection has been totally upgraded too and there are some beautiful scenic photos of the resort.
One of the many special touches at East Winds is the nightly musical entertainment. There is a good variety of musical styles, from the “Shuck-Shuck” Caribbean-style group, to the jazz evening with saxophone, to the local guitar and percussion duo. For us, however, the highlight is unquestionably Dein on the Steinway. He is a superb musician, and his imaginative playing clearly captivated the diners each night that he played.
We always felt very safe at the resort – the security department staff members are extremely professional, unobtrusive and very friendly.
If you are looking for quiet serenity, a gorgeous beach with your own private thatched sun hut and lounge chairs, quality food, wines and beverages, helpful and friendly staff, interesting and respectful guests, then East Winds is the place for you. We will be back again and look forward to reconnecting with some of our East Winds friends – both staff and other repeat guests.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover Saint Lucia’s best kept secret and immerse yourself in true Caribbean luxury. East Winds Saint Lucia is a breathtaking garden-by-the-sea, planted on the island's most picturesque sandy bay. Our Island Hideaway is Saint Lucia's original boutique resort featuring 30 cottage style suites, tucked away amongst lush plants, trees and a kaleidoscope of colourful bird-life. East Winds is home to what many consider the finest beach on the island and our guests share it with very few others just like them; travellers looking for personalised care and all-inclusive service in the most authentic of Caribbean experiences. Come experience the Caribbean the way it was meant to be experienced. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Ebookers, Expedia, West Indies, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your East Winds reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- East Winds Hotel Gros Islet
- East Winds Resort All Inclusive
- East Winds St. Lucia/Gros Islet