“Great service and great vacation spot” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Lucian by Rex Resorts

St. Lucian by Rex Resorts
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Irving, Texas, United States
“Great service and great vacation spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

My husband and I went to St Lucia for our honeymoon followed by a church convention that was hosted at the Rex St. Lucian. As others have mentioned, the resort is dated, but the rooms are nicely furnished and very clean. The staff is AWESOME. We made friends with several of them and have even invited some of them to visit us in the USA. They know your name, they know what you like to drink, they smile and get to know you....every bit worth the stay. The location is a perfect spot with a view of pigeon island and another mountain to your left that you can hike and enjoy the sunset. If you aren't a superficial person, you will love everything about your vacation here.

Room Tip: The garden view is definitely the best option because you spend so much time on the beach. Worth th...
1 Thank Amber R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

Been back here three times. The staff always try to make your stay pleasurable. Very friendly. Food is ok but if you are a foodie eat out at one of the many good restaurants.
Top staff members are Timothy (been here 26 years), Spencer (cool geezer in the Spa who gives a great back massage) and the lovely Colleen (who has two dogs and helped me look after a lovely stray dog we named 'little lady').

• Stayed October 2013
Essex, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

This was my second time staying at the St Lucian, and not a great deal has changed in the last couple of years. My husband and I were looking for sunshine and relaxing at a good price to celebrate our first wedding anniversary - and last holiday together before our first baby arrives.
After a warm check-in welcome from Cristal we were presented with cold flannels and iced drinks before we were shown to our garden room, looking out to the sea. On our previous stay we were in a similar room on the other side of the property, which as many others have said appears to be closed down.
As it was rainy season the hotel wasn't too full but there were still plenty of other guests to keep it from feeling like a ghost town. There was a large group convention who made up the bulk of the guests. The bonus of it being quiet meant we were never disturbed in our room - and we had the beach almost to ourselves, apart from the two days when the cruise ships came in. Those days we avoided the beach as not only were the best spots taken early with paid-for loungers but also the hawkers on the beach were out in full force. They will try to flog/rip you off by selling necklaces, aloe vera and hats/bowls made out of leaves. Some of them were really pushy, rude and aggressive, which took a shine off when all we wanted to do was relax and not being hassled. If you're firm however they will go away.
Back to the property, our room was spacious with a huge soft mattress bed that could have fitted four people. There was also a seating area and modern TV and a fridge, plenty of wardrobe space and drawers for clothes. The large shower head was powerful in the bathroom. We couldn't fault the cleaner - and in fact chatted to the lady who dealt with our room most days; she was lovely. The bed sheets and towels were changed fresh every day.
The rooms haven't been modernised in a long time but they function just fine for what you need. This isn't a trendy US-style hotel, this is rustic and Caribbean style.
We were on the all-inclusive plan, and while the food was fine - some days better than others - there was much less choice then our previous stay. Probably due to the time of year they don't over-stock the buffet but a few more choices would have been preferable. On the nights were didn't like what was on offer for dinner we went next door and ate at The Royal (the steak was delicious) and got a $40 EC discount. The ice cream in the on-site shop is delicious and reasonably priced as you won't get in the all-inclusive plan (last time we were able to order in the restaurant with dinner). And if you're not indulging in alcohol then the virgin cocktails are plentiful and tasty - the Sunrise was one of my favourites.
On our anniversary the St Lucian delivered a complimentary bottle of prosecco to our room, which was extremely kind of them and a lovely surprise.
If you're looking for great value in an excellent location in St Lucia then don't hesitate to book this hotel.
Big up again to Cristal (and all the ladies) on reception. Her warm smile and friendly chat every time we went past brightened up the days as much as the glorious weather.

Room Tip: We were in room 188 looking out to the garden and leading on to the beach
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shruggy
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

We stayed with a group of 75 at the hotel. We had a fantastic experience. I was traveling with my wife, our 22 month old daughter, parents and brother and sister in law. The staff remembered our names, our room numbers and our preferences.

The staff even remembered my daughters name. They used her name every time she passed by. She loved the pool that starts out 2 1/2 feet deep or so. She was able to stand up in it.

They were very kind and generous. Our daughter goes to bed early (ideally asleep by 7:30 PM), which makes 7 PM dinner problematic. They provided early dinner service for daughter at: 6;40 pm.

Unfortunately, I had to work during my stay in the evenings after my daughter and wife went to bed and had morning meetings. The front desk gracefully recharged my lap top twice a day. I didn't want to trust my lap top to my converter.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. The air conditioner was working perfectly in all 3 of our rooms. We had reserved a different room then we were provided. We asked for the correct room and they resolved it immediately.

At this point, I have traveled through 44 of 50 US States, Europe, Asia, Africa and Australia. I have stayed at a number of 5 stars hotels early. So, I expected that from all the hotels I stayed at.

The hotel is older. So were the hotels I stayed at in Asia, Australia and Europe. I expect different things when I'm not traveling in the US and the company I work for isn't paying the bill.
4 and 5 stars mean something up front.

We stayed at the property for 9 days. My wife likes a variety and ate at The Big Chef and the Chart House. Both great experiences.

When i stayed at the Grand Floridian for several days, i ate other places. Same thing with Hotel Del on Del Coronado Island.

Some of the staff were young and inexperienced. The managers were fantastic. I find this to be true of almost every where I travel. The younger staff in the restaurant weren't as talkative. The more experienced staff were fantastic.

I am very type A person. it took me a long time that other parts of the world work on Island time. Now I expect it.

I would recommend the bar inside of the the lobby. They have entertainment. Nobody was in the hotel lobby bar. Very quick service.

Room Tip: The ocean view is fantastic, especially on a higher floor. If yo.u don't like something ask the...
1 Thank Brett_Efimov
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

The resort is dated, BUT the staff is so wonderful you hardly notice. Great location! Shops and restaurants in walking distance. Felt safe day and night. Views are breath taking. Price is good! Go there as fast as you can!!

1 Thank Elliott B
San Fernando, Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

From our warm reception with Jodeine, to meal times with Marvin, Coleen, Shantelle, Anita and the restaurant team, to the heavenly cuisine put together by the best Chef on the island - my family thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The kids spent their days on the beach kayaking, paddling and sailing with Neige- who was as good natured and careful as a big brother. Staff couldn't do enough to make us happy. The highlight of the trip was Sunday night dinner- which happened to be my birthday. The guys had a surprise dessert with candle and the happy birthday song with the team and the live entertainer!
The maid service was invisible, keeping our rooms clean and well stocked at all times. The spa was sublime with loads of options to pamper yourself ask for Spencer. Be sure to ask for a hotel taxi to take you around the island. You may spend a bit more but it's safer and worth it. In case I wasn't clear it was heavenly!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank christa g
St. Lucia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

All though September is technically low season I loved the less packed resort as you almost felt like you had your very own private retreat with individual service that exceeded expectations as the staff are truly a great asset and such warm and helpful people.
The location is absolutely amazing having travelled throughout the world by both air and cruising this beach by far exceeds many I have seen , its crystal clear waters absolute clean sand is almost swimming pool like , you could see to the bottom even when swimming out some way .
The hotel is quaint clean , relaxed and adequate for such a holiday .the rooms are of decent size and well equipped and have magnificent views of beach ( where we were ) some are garden rooms but I'm sure still have some beach viewing as all rooms are on sea front . Town and all its malls and shopping are just a 2 minute walk if that and is great for bars , duty free shopping and even segways .
We had buffet breakfast /lunch & dinner all of which were perfect and had options from salad to hot meals and some lovely desserts . Drinks were great especially the local banana milkshakes and waiting staff were very attentive . We also had dinner at the Royal next door one evening which was also very good and was ala carte .
We both had treatments in the royal spa which is highly recommended to relax you even more the staff looked after us well . Highly recommend a trip to friday nights street party in Gros Ilet was such fun and great music . Both Eddie Johnston manager of St Lucian and Richard Michelin manager of Royal were delightful and really made us feel comfortable during our stay.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Royal St Lucia Resort and Spa

Been to St. Lucian by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!