“Does the job if you go on holiday to enjoy yourself”

St. Lucian by Rex Resorts
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Bexleyheath, United Kingdom
“Does the job if you go on holiday to enjoy yourself”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2010

Me and my wife went in the middle 2 weeks of September, all-inclusive and had a great time. We go on holiday to relax and have a great time. So, we head out with no intention of moaning and grumbling about small things, nor do expect food to taste like it does in the UK, or feel aggrieved when we can't get 99 channels on digital TV! I'm stressed enough in the UK with work etc. so a visit to the Caribbean is for one reason only - to enjoy it! It does what you expect and a bit extra. A great location and by all accounts the best beach on the island. Treat people well and they'll respond accordingly otherwise the staff may appear surly (as do a lot of the people in most of the W Indies - and the UK actually!). We only came across 1 miserable server and I've forgotten her name - young girl too which was a surprise, but virtually all of them great! The hotel could do with a bit of TLC for sure and the entertainment is at best good.
But, beach is excellent. Location if you want to explore a little is excellent. Food is very good. Rooms are good. St Lucia is excellent. 2 pools in the resort do the job. The "main pool" is quite small but enough for c40 people to relax around, close to the bars and there for a cooling dip. The larger pool is in what was the old Papillon Hotel (now part of the Rex) and has loads of room to relax, a swim up bar and a restaurant. Yes it needs a bit of maintenance (only a bit) but nothing that would put you off using it.
The beach is great and watersports are good - disappointed that there were no sunfish even tho advertised. But, everything else is fine. Some people on here complain they weren't around much - reason for that was the effects of 3 hurricanes in the area and 1 tropical depression. As a result for c10 of our 14 days the red flag was up and so it was deemed not safe to use the watersports. That said we still swam in the sea (like loads of others) and had great fun. Quite strange really - flat calm as you look out and then the swell appears and breaks in the 6-9 metres from the beach, but like I say, good fun.
So overall I'd rate it highly. We've been to lots of places (take a look at my map) and I would have no hesitation in visiting again - feel free to contact me if you've any questions. If you go have fun and do explore a little. The Pitons is a must - try the land and sea option which gives you more than just the catamaran (we did both), visit Gros Islet for the Friday night "jump up" - we went twice and it was a blast!!! Get out in the day and the evening as there's plenty on and plenty to see and do. Finally, take a trip onto Pigeon Island and climb the 2 peaks - it is a brilliant experience and some great views. My last point though, don't forget - you're on holiday to relax and have some fun, so chill out!

9 Thank DavidLF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Huddersfield, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2010

Can't understand other reviewers attitude who have stayed at this hotel. The staff were extremely friendly and polite at all times - perhaps it was a case of treat others as you would wish to be treated yourselves. The pools were cleaned daily, the rooms were kept clean at all times, the restaurant had a various selection of international foods (not always to a plain food eater's liking) even the gardeners worked well every day. The beach was well mainained. Watersports were available if anyone wanted to use them. Entertainment wasn't first class but there were plenty of bars and restaurants available within walking distance, and within the next 12 months or so there'll be 2 shopping malls fully open in the town. Some areas of the hotel did look a little run down and in need of a few repairs, but they are feeling the recession just like the rest of the world. If you want 5 star hotels then go elsewhere.

2 Thank bill & jen
bournemouth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2010

just got back from a 12 night all inclusive package and feel compelled to write a review..

Food Generally good with a few reservations it was adequate and varied for this star of hotel...

Service Rooms were kept clean and looked after ,,reception staff very helpfull and polite ..However the bar staff were lazy and would not serve more than one person at a time even though they would be waiting for blender for a minute or two....They appereard in general to be abrupt and quite un friendly and seemed some had an ego...This is with the exception of lex who was efficient and polite...

Service in restuarant was poor and sometimes had to wait untill nearly finshed main course to be offered water or wine etc...When managers were present they were much better but shame it was not like it more often...

Watersports vitually non existent and only appered when the american crew ships came in ...in tweleve days saw them 4 days...

1 Thank jimbo1966
Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2010

I've been reading through some of the reviews of the St Lucian by Rex Resorts (or simply The Rex) and felt compelled to add my thoughts. I have just returned (yesterday)after nearly 3 weeks at the Rex and I can honestly say I had a fabulous time. This is actually my third stay in this hotel in the last 18 months and there are many reasons why I keep returning. The hotel is very central in Rodney Bay Village and is close to all the bars, clubs and restaurants. And whilst I completely agree that there are parts of the hotel that are looking a little 'old', any room I have been allocated has been lovely (especially our last room which was had sea views). The reception staff were fab and always really helpful. They remembered my name when speaking to me and assisted me in any way they could. The girls who worked in the Quarterdeck cafe were also lovely and couldn't do enough for us. We got married at the hotel 2 weeks ago and the wedding planner (Doreen) was brilliant - she did everything to make our wedding fabulous (including decorating a gazebo in our wedding colours when it looked like it was going to rain on our wedding day). The food in the Mariner's restaurant is always good and as well as a buffett option you can choose off an a la carte menu that is in the all inclusive option too. The Oriental serves great asian food and we had our wedding meal there. Granted the full menu isn't available through the all inclusive option but the set menu was. And whilst it was only 2 courses, the portion sizes, we thought, were ok (the starters maybe could have been a bit bigger). The hotel is based on Reduit beach, which is definitely the best beach on the island, although the Rex also has 2 pools, one of which has a swim up bar (which we frequented daily!) We always found the bar staff extremely friendly too and they were always happy to make us any type of cocktail we requested. Actually, the only person we really encountered on our trip who didn't seem very happy in her job was the Virgin Rep who visited the hotel every day. Regarding entertainment, as far as I know, the Rex has entertainment about 5 nights out of 7 and it is actually ok. They have groups, dance troups, steel bands etc as well as a weekly manager's cocktail evening where they serve free rum punch and nibbles. I would agree with the reviewer who said that eating outside of the hotel was expensive. Some of the restaurants in Rodney Bay really are a bit overpriced but we found some restaurants that served good, local food for a fraction of the cost of the fancier restaurants. There is also a supermarket a stone's through away from the hotel, which is handy for those staying at the hotel on a room only basis. Overall, I can honestly say we had a fantastic time at the Rex and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. But when recommending it I would make sure they understand that this hotel is 3* - it does exactly what it says on the tin - it's not a 3* trying to be a 5* - it's a 3* doing a good job as a 3*. If you want a well priced caribbean holiday, with good food, nice clean rooms, fabulous beaches and close to pubs and clubs then the Rex is definitely for you.

3 Thank squeezy42
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

I had read all the reviews on here and was a little apprehensive about my visit their with my partner but i have to say my concern was completely non confounded! I loved the hotel - granted its not the ritz but it has a charm and the room i stayed in was beautiful - new bathroom and furniture with a great view of the sea - couldn't fault it. Food was really good as well, lots of choice and we even had a private beach BBQ as the sun was setting cooked by staff for myself and my partner - the most romantic thing i've ever experienced! Staff were really friendly as well - always had a smile and a hello from all i met. Had just one surly member of staff but the rest more than made up for it in their pleasant and friendly nature. Will recommend this as a fantastic budget place to stay, really is great value for money when you think about it.

Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank davidandrachel08
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

We travelled to this resort on a holiday of a lifetime in 2007, we have since been back twice. It is simply the most relaxing place we have been to, the view is spectacular and the beach is clean with the sand white and soft under foot. I am disabled and am pleased to say that this hotel is very accessible for wheelchair users. The restaurant and bars are staffed by the most friendly people we have ever met, the food is excellent and they have a good selection of local cuisine, we particularly enjoyed the St Lucian fish curry, they also do a selection of kids meals and fries, all you have to do is ask one of the staff, Veronica, Mary and Monica are the stars in the restaurant nothing is too much and they always greet you with a smile. I have read reviews and cannot understand the issues with the food and the staff. The barstaff are always chatty and some I would class as friends, we got on that well with them. As for the hotel being run down, it is the oldest hotel on the island and even I would agree it needs a lick of paint here and there, however, the rooms are clean the facilities are good, the grounds are well maintained and the maintenance staff are always working ( you have to remember this hotel never closes so any work that has to be done is done discretely with minimum disruption). Should you have any problems the reception staff/ management will resolve it very quickly. Some previous reviews have noted the lack of parasols for the beach, you can get them from reception all you have to do is ask (for a small deposit) , this is also the same for the beach towels. Despite the age of the hotel we found that it was typical of the relaxing St Lucian way of life where nothing is too much trouble. One thing I will mention take a good camera the wildlife is everywhere and I've been trying to photograph a humming bird for 3 years and not got it yet, every time I saw it I didn't have the camera with me (not fair) at least I have pictures of a pirate ship sailing across the bay at sunset.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank jacala067
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

This is a very very late addition to Trip Advisor as we travelled in July, but we genuinely feel that this needs to be said.
After reading reports on this hotel we were concerned to say the least, but as it was not to be our only holiday of the year but a last minute need for some sunshine we decided to book the St Lucian by Rex. We had been to St Lucia before and stayed at the Almond Morgan Bay which was lovely but also a lot more expensive than this hotel. We arrived via Virgin and did the long transfer to the hotel as we had before and it was ok but for us an endurance. We arrived to a very nice welcome drink and an efficient check in. We were celebrating a special anniversary and noted this on special requirements and without delay were shown to our lovely room just 30 feet from the sea, we had been upgraded at no extra charge and the view was breathtakingly beautiful. We knew at this point we were going to have a fantastic holiday. We went for dinner in the restaurant and I defy anyone who says that they cannot find something to eat, the quality and the choice was way beyond a three star hotel and Veronica and her team were so attentive and showed us to our table just feet from the caribbean sea, nothing was too much trouble for her from our pre dinner drinks to coffee and pud we couldnt fault it. Our days were spent lazily by the stunning water, swimming and watching a local arrive daily in his boat of flags selling anything from mangoes/pineapples coconuts all so fresh you could smell them, he even sold them to boats moored just off the coast ingenious with a captive audience.We ventured just outside the hotel gates and came accross a lovely guy called Mark who had moved from the UK to live in St Lucia and had set up a bicycle hire business. He was so friendly and helpful that we decided to cycle to Pidgeon Island, he provided us with a map and helmets and also put a SOS tracking device in our bag so that he could track us if we had a problem, of course we didnt need to use it but it was very reassuring. Pidgeon Island was a must and after a leisurely stroll up through carob strewn forest stopping to read the history on the way we made it to the top and wow!! a 360 view of Rodney Bay and its stunning coastline. We could see right over to Martinique some 25 miles away and just sat watching for ages.We eventually meandered down and had a drink in the little pub in a cavern it was truely an amazing day of which we will remember for a long time.You must go and hire the bikes too for an even more memorable day. We cycled further up the island and came accross Marjoriesbeach restaurant/bar and we were welcomed again and sat watching a truely professional kyte surfer for what must have been well over an hour or so.Believe me we are not hard core cyclists and even in the searing heat it was easy and well worth the experience. So back to the hotel and jusin t time to grab a drink and watch the stunning sunset go down.We met the hotel Manager on a few occasions and he was welcoming and happy to have a chat,a thoroughly nice man and obvious to us that he values his staff and that is what makes this hotel so special. Granted there is some refurbishment needed but remember you are not buying the hotel you are on holiday and believe me the friendliness of the staff the beach, food and the overall ambience far outweigh the decor. We decided not to endure the long trip back to the airport so took the helicopter which was fantastic and 20 mins of sightseeing too, so when we return we will do this transfer both ways and believe me we will return to this little paradise so dont be put off by other bad reports and if you do go say Hi to Veronica as she is a huge asset to The St Lucian as is the Manager .

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
#5 of 6 in Rodney Bay
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to St. Lucian by Rex Resorts? Share your experiences!