“Amazing General Manager....someone who genuinely takes time out to cater for the needs of her guests”
Review of blu St Lucia

blu St Lucia
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Gros Islet
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I Stayed at Blu in May during 'Jazz' Festival for my second year in a row. Although this hotel is normally booked to its full capacity during this time of the year, the Management Team and Staff still manage to provide their guests with one to one customer care!
My decision to go to St Lucia this year was very last minute, but unfortunately I could only manage to secure a confirmed booking at Blu for seven of the eight nights I requested. I was prepared to check into another local hotel for the one night shortfall. However, upon arrival at the hotel, Cindie, the General Manager reassured me that Erin, Reservation Manager and her team were aware of my situation and would do their best to accommodate me for the entire eight nights..... And indeed they did! They really pulled out all the stops!!!
Look forward to my daily greetings from Martha (a real gem) on my next visit.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank a09

Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is a score of 3.5 rounded up because of the staff. We stayed at the Blu St. Lucia at the end of May and enjoyed our stay. Value for money was good and the staff were a real asset. Rooms were fine and for the location alone we would stay here again.

The good:
Location excellent - a 10 min walk into the main shopping area with loads of restaurants nearby
Very friendly and attentive welcome with a rum punch - staff generally really helpful (persisted and found and us a day cruise on a catamaran when other trips were fully booked at such short notice)
Decent beach 5 minutes walk away
Room nice - clean, good size, bed comfortable. Lavazza coffee machine was a nice touch
Balcony overlooking central pool and bar area
Food fine - we ate a meal one night in the poolside restaurant that was perfectly nice
Buffet breakfast was copious if not top notch - we weren't hungry until mid-afternoon

The less good:
Bathroom a bit tired, but perfectly adequate (and clean)
Could be noisy if the pool-side restaurant had a crowd in, but this wasn't a major issue and subsided by before midnight while we were there
You will not avoid hawkers on the beach and they were some of the most engaging I have ever experienced despite this being far from my first exposure to beach salesmen. A polite yet firm 'no thank you' worked fine in 90% of cases but if you get into a conversation, or give your name or favourite colour, you'll find yourself agreeing to speak to them again tomorrow to avoid buying something today - and they won't forget! One guy even said he'd give me a necklace without me paying at the time as he'd see me tomorrow. If you're not interested, better to be firm to start with than to let them do the whole sales pitch and then disappoint them.

Room Tip: We had a third room floor with a balcony - I think it was 318
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jo M
Reviewed 28 June 2014

What can I say. This is a little bit of paradise. We returned to Hotel Blu this June having spent a wonderful holiday there last year and we have just booked again for next June 2015. We stayed again on an all inclusive basis and dined like kings! That's how good it is. It is our second home! The hotel has a lovely warm feeling with a wonderful , friendly and happy team. They cannot do enough for you. A special thanks to Cathy who made our wedding anniversay dinner just a bit more special and to Cindy and Erin. We too had a lovely dinner under the gazebo wich was so romantic. Although the dinner menu is a bit limited, the chef will cook you soemthing else with a little notice. Nothing is too much trouble. Please don't listen to the poor reviews. I agree that the bathrooms are a bit tired but you don't spend that long in them and a refurbishment programme is planned. For us this hotel and it's location ticks all the boxes. We prefer the third floor rooms

Room Tip: third floor rooms have better views
1  Thank Debbie K
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I am excited to be returning to the Blu St. Lucia for the 3rd time in less than 12 months. My first visit to the Blu was by chance in October 2013. I saw the pictures of this beautiful 72 room boutique hotel and was intrigued. Upon arrival, we were pleasantly greeted and offered a complimentary beverage. I was immediately taken by the friendliness of the staff, and the open and airy ambiance.

After settling in, we decided to stay on property to eat. Upon learning that I was a vegan, chef Lawrence had me write down the food items that I would eat. To my pleasant surprise, he went shopping and prepared meals all week according to my list and would also buy special treats to my liking. Following each meal, he would check to make sure it was to our liking...each meal was delicious.

I then had the opportunity to experience a chocolate massage by the Spa manager Neil Charles. Although I thought I was not a chocolate lover, this spa experience changed my mind. It was "delicious" and intoxicating. I was relaxed for hours and kept smelling my skin.

When it was time to leave, there was a sadness as if we were leaving new found family members.
We knew we would return to stay at the Blu for our annual trip to the Art & Jazz Festival in May 2014.

Upon our arrival in May, Cindie, the property manager, and all of the staff made us feel so welcomed and loved. It was like coming home! Once again, we received attentiveness to our dietary needs as well as our special requests and accommodations. Cindie and the other staff members checked on us regularly and made sure we were well taken care of throughout our stay.

It is because of this attentiveness and genuine caring that we will return to the Blu St. Lucia again in July 2014. The Blu has definitely become our home away from home.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My Husband and I just stayed at Blu St. Lucia for two weeks in June while celebrating our 26th Wedding Anniversary! Upon arrival we had complimentary rum punch and Andy escorted us to our room on the 3rd floor (305)-32 steps-no elevator-great exercise! with a nice view of the pool and entire complex.
Cindy, the Hotel Manager and her staff, especially Cathy, made our June 11th 26th Anniversary dinner very romantic and special. We ate under a romanticly-lit Gazebo by the beautiful pool with pastel ribbons on our chairs and mini heart confetti!! The Management and staff even gave us a beautiful card!! When we arrived after dinner to our room our bed was beautifully and romantically decorated with flowers and swan shaped towels!! Very creative and special!! We attended a Management cocktail party which was a nice touch and great to meet them! Special thanks to Martha (Housekeeping Manager) and Erin (Front Desk Manager) for their attentiveness in addition to Cindy's!!

The room was cozy with nice furnishings and a luxurious King size bed with fluffy pillows and comforter. Friday-Sunday til 2am there is noise from the Happy Day bar nearby so bring ear plugs if you are a light sleeper...this can't be helped. Request a room far from tennis court side if it will bother you. We joined the action there on Friday night as they also had a nice barbecue where they made a Chicken/Pork meal. At all times coffee/tea was available using the Lavazza coffee maker. Electricity was mostly 110 but 220 was available for European guests. The bathroom though small was adequate and the shower had all the essentials-conditioner, shampoo and body wash available via dispensers. Beach towels were provided. Only issue was the dripping showerhead which though reported was not fixed. The safe was easy to use and the mini refrig. was good to have. No problem with drinking the water from the tap as it is filtered! Ice with bucket can be obtained upon request at the bar. There were some miniscule ants but if you kept place free of food/sugar etc to attract them it wasn't a big problem...Also if you get bitten by no see ums/mosquitos bring both bug spray and bug bite meds/cream. Sunscreen and glasses are essential as sun is strong so if you are fair/don't tan be mindful of it!! The pool was very unique and we enjoyed if immensely!! We were glad they attended to it daily and kept it cleaned and filtered (although filter was broken a few days). The drinks (with/without alcohol) were delicious and I tried almost all of them!! Popcorn in the PM is made upon request esp. in the low season...HQ/snack bar salads and sandwiches hit the spot!! We left tip for housekeeping with front desk when we left.

The GL supermarket and maill was a 15 minute, 1 mile walk away or the cab ride $10US each way. Has everything - local and US and alcohol. There is a great gift shop a few doors down from the diner. I bought hot sauce (Baron's) cheapest at the GL market. Every morning we had a full breakfast/buffet which was delicious. We had most of our meals there also-lunch and dinner which were delicious and the price was reasonable!! Our servers we want to thank and appreciate were Chanta, Samantha, Cathy, Dylan and their Manager, Rodney. I made friends with the two resident kitty cats - "Blu" calico and her boyfriend I called "Blu Boy" a stray with orange white coat - we are past dog owners and currently Euromastyz lizard owners. The catamaran all day trip was recommended by other guests but we chose to just chill out and relax vs venturing too far from the resort although concierge had tons of info/trips. There were many restaurants nearby recommended by other guests-steak, indian food plus the two beach sites-Hi Tide/Pebbles and Spinnakers-again we preferred the resort mostly! Feel free to tip more than the 10% and make friends with the staff as they reciprocate!!

Beach- the water was clean and crystal clear. Blu provided beach passes for the umbrella and two chairs located between Pebbles and Spinnakers bars. If you use beach by Bay Garden resort just put items on tree/towel on sand as chairs aren't for non-guests. It can be very hot 11-3pm and the umbrella may not be enough shade. The sand was hot and not as white as other islands but the scenery was beautiful. The locals do sell items on the beach just haggle for items you want and be firm if you aren't buying!! We bought Roti's and cakes on the beach from Liz and Wizard sold us a beautifully carved wind chime made of coconut and bamboo!

The cab ride was rough and long (2 hours with traffic and 1.5 without) $85US plus tip. I recommend a non-drowsy motion sickness pill 1 hour before plane lands/you depart as it is up and down mountains and switchbacks-got ill going back to airport! Although 25 miles it is not a straight commute by any means- most resorts are on the Norh/Mid part of island vs South where airport is.Again a big thank you to Cindy and all the staff for making our stay the most memorable and pleasurable-we hope to see you all in the near future!!

Room Tip: Rooms on top have nice views but no elevator. Pick room farthest from Tennis Courts if you are sens...
3  Thank CharmGeorgia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This is a beautiful hotel serviced in a 1st class manner. You will know love and affection by staying here.

I wish to thank all involved for making our 26th wedding anniversary so special.

With best wishes.

John

PS) We will be back in four weeks, that's how good you guys are...I really want to go to Anguilla but, you have our hearts.

Room Tip: The cab ride is very curvy...take bonine or some sort of motion sickness pill. My Wife puked 1/2 way...
Reviewed 10 June 2014

After staying at Bay Garden Inn for 5 days they would not let me check out without penalty even though the rooms was HORRIBLE WORST experience I ever had at a hotel someone told me about the BLU I went over there and ask the front desk can I take a look at the property and look at a room wow I was happy the place was clean and up to date staff was grate and breakfast was free so was wifi and last way less expensive than the Bay Garden Inn I stay there for 6 days I have no complain hats off to the cook and the staff looking forward to go back in July

Room Tip: I had a room on the ground level in front of the pool I think those room are the best
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
#12 of 15 in Gros Islet
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#4 of 15 in Gros Islet

Been to blu St Lucia? Share your experiences!