“Returned for Second Year in a Row”

St. James's Club Morgan Bay
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We enjoyed our first stay last January so much that we chose to return for another week in February this year. We had a great vacation again this year at St. James Club Morgan Bay and would return again in the future.

That said, here are a few comments:

-we selected a deluxe ocean view room which is somewhat higher cost - these are in the 900 to 1200 blocks on top of the hill. Rooms on the 3rd and 4th floors have a fantastic view of the ocean and gardens and hills around Castries. A hike up the hill is required but we appreciated the exercise and golf carts provide a ride for anyone who need assistance. There was no elevator in the building but the stairways have 2 landings between each level and are well lit. These rooms have large balconies or patios with sliding doors.

- the rooms were comfortable and quiet with a flat screen TV with many channels The bathrooms are large and well lit except for the mirror which my wife found provided inadequate lighting for make-up. The shower was good - with the only complaint being that water pressure was low in the morning. The rooms furnishings were fine except another waste paper basket and a second side table for the bed would be nice to have.

- the rooms and all public areas are very clean - bathrooms were well stocked with paper towels at all times.

- the grounds are very well maintained and the gardens are beautiful. There was no garden tour offered this year and we missed that experience.

- the beach and pool areas were very pleasant. The new beach bar meant that there was never any waiting at any of the bars. There were lots of lounge chairs but shady areas and parasols were in short supply after mid-morning - mainly because many guests claim the best areas and leave towels there all day when they show up only occasionally.

- the restaurants were all great and food quality very good. The new Treetop restaurant with pasta and pizza was a welcome addition although we found the thin crust pizza too dry and the staff there was not as pleasant as everywhere else. Reservations for a-la-carte restaurants could be made in the lobby between 7 AM and 3 PM up to 3 days in advance. We dined at the Pier 3 times. The Plum Tree restaurant and bar near the children's pool and tennis courts was great for lunches - many guests were not aware of it because it is a bit remote from the main areas but well worth the walk and not just for families with children.

- the staff of the resort are truly excellent. They are very polite and helpful.

- we did have a hiccup at check in because for some unknown reason our Air Canada Vacations reservation was not in the hotel computer system. This did cause a 40 minute delay but we were then assigned our room with an apology.

- we took one tour - Lucian Roots including Pigeon island - very enjoyable.

Enough said. We will look forward to another visit in future years.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TheBlues-85
Write a ReviewReviews (6,312)

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I'm staying at the hotel right now and it's not great. The worst by far are the girls in the 'green dresses'. They havWill e such an attitude. Like they are more important than you. They have the power and they like to use it.
They are the most inefficient of all the staff here.
I asked the lady in the 'green dress' to take a photo of us at dinner tonight at the pier restaurant, after looking down her nose she asked a waitress to oblige. The waitress took a great photo. Thanks.
I asked at lunch today if we could have a window table, the 'green dress' said no that table is set for 4!! How hard is it to remove 2 settings?
But the 'green dress' ladies don't like to oblige and thats that. However ask any man there to help and he will.
Our room keycard never works correctly. After several trips to the girls in the 'green dresses' at reception, they said it was my fault the key didn't work.
The bathrooms stink.
All light switches are grubby. I cleaned all the switches in our room and it took 2 minutes.
All doors are grubby.
Its the small things they neglect.
The entertainment staff are fantastic. And the food is good. Try stay away from the girls in the 'green dresses'. They spoil your holiday.

• Stayed: February 2014
5  Thank bmw50o4
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We were at St James Club Morgan Bay for one week for our daughters wedding. It was a fabulous location, the food in all eating establishments was superb. Beach was terrific, pools and lounge areas always had chairs and very clean. Entertainment was good, the only thing I may suggest is perhaps have some place available for a late night snack, and some place to dance longer than 11pm. service was terrific and the wedding reception, was fabulous. I would go back.

Room Tip: Each room that I visited, 8, were all very nice, of course a suite is perfect. I was not worried abo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Debbie M
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 weeks, late April. Upon arrival we thought the hotel was beautiful. We were soon disappointed when we tried to check in. The staff were so disorganised! It honestly took 2hours before we got to our room. We upgraded our room but its honestly not worth it. Our bed sheets were never changed and our cleaner kept taking our loose change (which was in the drawers) The food was ok but very repetitive. The beach was ok but not the safest place. Random locals kept coming onto the beach (apparently they were allowed to because the "private beach" isn't private). A few of them even asked us to get them drinks from the bar. There was a man on the beach everyday who we had to pass to get to our room, who would constantly try to sell us drugs. The bar staff were mostly good. Some had a bit of attitude and be prepared to wait a while to be served unless you're in a bikini. The Entertainment was good but again pretty repetitive. When checking out there was a lot of random stuff added to our bill we hadn't bought or ordered. We had to argue a bit to have it removed. Wouldn't recommend it. You can probably find better.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rakesh87
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at St. James's Club Morgan Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at the St. James's Club. We greatly appreciate client comments as a way to improve our guests's experience.

As a green resort we strive to help preserve the environment as best we can. Linens are changed every three days unless guests place a card on the bed which is in all rooms requesting for them to be changed. This allows us to save water and create less environmental distress.

All beaches throughout the Caribbean are public. Having said that, in response to our guests' comments we have removed all unlicensed vendors from the beach and have increased security to maintain the friendly and fun atmosphere that we are known for.

We do hope that when considering a fun-filled Caribbean vacation that we may help create wonderful sun-filled memories for you.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

This was my first trip to the islands and I wasn't sure what to expect. What I wasn't expecting was to have the premium room I had booked downgraded! Upon arrival the hotel had pulled approximately ten couples aside and informed them that they had "overbooked" and that we were all being moved to inferior rooms. As compensation, the hotel offered a $150 credit to be used in their overpriced spa/tours. This was in spite of the fact that the premium for the room was over $300 in cash. What was surprising was the number of couples who accepted this? I told the assistant manager that this was unacceptable and would talk to him in the morning (we had been travelling since early in the morning with Air Canada - enough said) as I was too irate to have any conversation. The next morning the offer was upped to $250 with a $54 freebie to the premium restaurant. Again I said that this was unacceptable and went to see the tour operation (Air Canada vacations) and after several hours they agreed to refund the price difference to myself and two other couples who were fighting the situation as well.

The assistant manager assured me that this was an aberration caused by a fault at the head office although the ladies at the reception said that this was a frequent situation. Afterwards the hotel offered to allow us to check out of our room and move to another room although still not to the level of room for which we paid. As we were only staying for a week we opted not to go through the aggravation of being without room for the day.

The hotel itself was fine, clean but dated and the food certainly exceed expectations. Mosquitoes at night were an issue but perhaps it was because of our room location towards the river? The tour prices were exorbitant and we found it was cheaper to book outside the hotel for the same tours at a much cheaper rate. Lots of tour operations available through Tripadvisor. The staff were great and a lot of fun. The ride to the hotel from the airport is around an hour and fifteen minutes and if anybody is prone to motion sickness, take a Gravol prior to setting out as it is quite a hilly and windy route.

One week was certainly enough as there were too many people together for my liking. I certainly wouldn't go back here because of the unethical way I was treated.

Room Tip: The rooms don't have screens so the river/garden side rooms seem to have more mosquitoes if the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Sandford R

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the St. James's Club. We value our guests' feedback greatly and appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with us.

We sincerely apologize for the situation in which you were not able to stay in the room type you booked. We accept full responsibility for this error and are working diligently to avoid this type of situation in the future.

We do hope that we can once again host you in the future.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Keep searching there are far better hotels than this for the similar price.
Would not recommend this hotel.
Over crowded pool area Sunbed set up like sardines.
Beach area also overcrowded with sunbeds which are very grubby and almost black with grime.
Reception staff unfriendly and Unhelpful ,requested a key for my safe in Room was told if they had one I could come to reception to collect if not I would have to wait until one became available.
Bar staff especially the main bar and pool bar are incredibly rude.
Adult only Pool had the only friendly bar staff, but only 25 sun beds by the pool so get up early to put your towel out.
Theme restaurant food awful
Buffet restaurant and bamboo restaurant had okay food the staff here were the friendliest.

Stayed: January 2014
8  Thank johnDorsetEngland
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at St. James's Club Morgan Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the St.James's Club St. Lucia.

We are very disappointed with your assessment of the staff at the resort and are concerned that you felt the staff was unfriendly. On the contrary...the resort boasts one of the friendliest and most hospitable staffs in the Caribbean. The vast majority of our guests comment very positively about our staff and we know this from guest surveys as well as online forums.

We do hope that when you once again consider a sun-filled Caribbean vacation the St. James's Club may once again host you.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed 4 weeks in Jan. 2014, was a gamble because if we did not like the resort we were stuck there but it paid off. The staff made the resort for us.
It is an older place showing age but looks clean and cared after as well as you can. We were in the beachfront rooms and were completely happy after getting moved away from the 700 block beachfront rooms to the 600 block because of the noise.
Check-in was a breeze except on the form they wanted my email address not and unreasonable request but for the matter that the hotel hides their email address and there is no way to contact the hotel directly by email, I put a request on social media for someone to supply me with this information and was given the general managers and the customer service's email address, I sent two emails to each one with no reply, so I left that blank on my form.

Beach was small and water was far from clear with discharge from a small river near the resort.

Our favorite restaurant was the Palms buffet the staff were always helpful right from the staff that seats you to the great people cooking your food, the chefs made sure they had time to come out and meet the guests they were cooking for as well answer ?. It was always a great
start to the day to see Danielle prepare my eggs perfect every time with an genuine smile. Michailena was always just a smile away with staff like Sarah, Sharma, Laura and my favorite chef Rene along with many others working there to make our stay enjoyable. My only problem was the garbage birds sometimes it felt like I was eating in the bottom of a bird cage.
We found the entertainment staff fantastic Madrina and Jaffrey were always around to get us involved in something, there was a good variety
of entertainers and I liked the fact that the resort gets involved in the community bringing support the children as well as adult organizations.
My favorite dinner was at the Bamboo, chef Andy did lobster like no other I have ever had, with a million $ view on the beach it was hard to not go every night, sadly the lobster was $32.00 xstra and the rest of our foursome had a hard time finding something they wanted on the limited menu. I did have 2 lobsters and should have went for a 3rd.

The Pier was my least favorite restaurant , went 3 times and was disappointed with the service and food 3 times although our server Brigette did manage to make one night enjoyable even though our game hen was raw inside.

The Tree Top was a surprise with good food and service that is coming along, lots of staff. Allison was our favorite employee there.

The staff that worked the lobby and front desk as well as bellhops were fantastic and were always very helpful.
We took a few tours but our favorite one was with Leo who works at the resort, one day we wondered up to the lobby and asked about someone to take us out for the day a young lady named Karry called the motor pool for someone but it was middle of the day and everyone seemed out with guests, so she called Leo and he came and took us on a fantastic tour of the area, great day. Thanks Karry and Leo.

We always had good loungers on the beach with a fantastic view and shade if wanted, also a bonus was Carmel aka 29 who kept us with cool drinks. All in all the staff and guests we met made our holiday one
to remember in a good way.

Room Tip: Make sure you know what type of room you paid for and demand it if they try to give you a lesser roo...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!