“Fantastic water sports”

St. James's Club Morgan Bay
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
“Fantastic water sports”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

The water sports make this hotel, they are included in the price and are amazing! All staff are friendly and really interacted with my 2 year old little girl, to the point that she now answers to the name princess! Rooms were clean and food was good. The st james club special drink was really nice. Beach was nice. There was a mix up with the rooms to start with where we had the wrong sized beds but this was soon rectified and we were moved rooms. The tree tops was a really nice restaurant with really nice food.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Melmac24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,118)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

After a shared taxi ride of over an hour, the hot and muggy feel of tropical humidity was eating at me. The staff approached with smiles, a cold towel and an even colder rum punch, which turned my frown upside down.

The staff at the St. James was always pleasant during our 5-night stay. In the lobby, restaurants, bars and rooms, they were accommodating and friendly.

There are many food options, some better than others. The Palms is a mass buffet. Generally ok, but not spectacular. Best dinners and most refined service was at the place you had to pay extra for. It was worth it, but the other restaurants are good enough that it's not a necessity. Fish and chips at the Pier restaurant was excellent. Breakfast at Bamboo is the best.

The bar staff is fun, friendly and energetic. Drinks are always flowing, however, the strength of them leaves a little to be desired. It seems they are poured on the weak side, so just ask for a floater.

Entertainment was hit or miss. Probably depends on the night and the guests participating. Not much else to do at night, but it was definitely amusing.

There are plenty of excursions on the island, and I recommend them. The Soufrierre Adventure was great. LuLu, Brian and the staff at Carnival Sailing took us on a fun sailing trip to the Mud Bath and Botanical garden.

I always ask myself, would I return to a hotel if I was coming back to St. Lucia. In this case, it's a maybe. The trip to and from the hotel is long. But when there, it met my expectations. If you're a high end traveler, it may not be for you, but If you like good value and fun activities in the outdoors, this hotel is perfect.

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Travelonandon11215
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Resort is lovely with 3 different pool locations and a private small beach. The sunsets are truly amazing. The resort is lacking in the all-inclusive by not having any drinks stocked in the mini-fridge; not even water or soft drinks. These you need to buy at the gift shop. There is only one restaurant which does not require reservations and they only allow reservations 3 days in advance. Definitely worth making reservations to Morgan's Pier, Tree Top and Bambou. If you're flexible with day and time, not a problem. Unfortunately the elevator was under construction in the 900 building. Book the Bean to Bar tour; definitely worth it $140. They take you on a catamaran to Soufriere then hop on van to Hotel Chocolat to learn how to make chocolate which includes a lunch at the hotel restaurant. which food items include some form of chocolate. Afterwards its off to the mud bath which is an experience in itself, followed by van return to catamaran which will take you to a beach for swimming and snorkeling. The return on the catamaran is around sunset and they offer hor devours and drinks and basically is a party back to shore. Tip - buy a round trip airport transfer prior to your arrival in St.Lucia. Much cheaper for solo travelers. Expedia offers it at a price of $100 round trip but the representative in St. Lucia will not allow you to book it there. If you do not purchase ahead of time the cost is about $80 - $85 each way.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the 1200 area and high floor. There is only 5 floors. This is up a hilly area but...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank M E
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This was my first time in St. Lucia and it was a wonderful experience. This resort was recommended to me by a friend of mine who comes here very often. My twin sister and I were celebrating our 25th birthday and decided to stay here for 7 days. We paid for a Round-Trip Airport Transfers to avoid hassle on trying to find a cab to our hotel and I will recommend that, plus from what I heard from other travels, taking a cab is more expensive. It is about 1 hour to 1 hour and a half drive from the airport to your hotel, which I really didn't mind because you really get a nice feel of the South side of the country. I saw it as a mini tour before arriving to your hotel.
When we entered our room a delicious piece of cake and a birthday card from the general manager was waiting for us. That was sweet and we really appreciated that.
The food and drinks were AMAZING. I particularly loved the Mojitos and BBC. At times when I wanted a non- alcoholic drink, Pretty eyes and another drink made with cranberry juice, sprite, and a sweet and sour mix was my choice.
The staffs were all very welcoming. We enjoyed the night entertainment and dancing with the staffs and travelers. The performers like to get the audience involved, which I liked. We also did Joy’s land and Boat Tour and had a blast. Despite the rain, we danced and laughed in the rain while on the boat and had a good time. One thing you cannot control is the weather so you might as well make the best of it. I would recommend doing Joy’s tour.
There are a lot of water activities and we took advantage of it. We did the banana boat for the first time and OMG it was scary, since we don’t swim even though we had a life vest on, but oh so much fun at the same time. We did it twice. There’s so much to do on the resort.
The beach is nice and waiters give you a red flag to stick on the back of your chair if you would like another drink.
Thank you so much for making our stay here a memorable one. We definitely plan on coming back here in the near future.

PS don't forget to bring your OFF spray.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Juliette B
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I stayed at St. James Morgan Bay with my wife for an anniversary trip all last week. The resort has a local feel to it with open air concept dining, bars, and lobby. My excursions are what made the trip for us. We snorkeled at Pigeon Island, dove with Scuba Steve (highly recommend), and Joys Cruise.

The food was a disappointment for us. This is the first all inclusive I've ever been to that you actually had to pay extra just to get a steak. My wife and I got the Kebobs thinking the steak pieces on that would suffice but it was all fat. Luckily we found the Italian Restaurant, "Tree Tops" that we were able to get normal tasting food for the rest of the trip.

The room was great. We were in building 12 and were upgraded to a suite in the same building. The view from building 12 and 11 are fantastic. Night entertainment is loud right up until 11 and sometimes over so being high up on the hill really helped.

The entertainment was weak. The resort is very boring if you are not content with reading a book all day. And yes, I know the concept of an all-inclusive resort but I've been to other resorts where the the thought of boredom never crossed my mind.

The beach was not white sand and the pier restaurant cuts the beach space down considerably.

Overall, it just doesn't provide the "Wow" or "Now this is a vacation" moment" moments . You get the feeling like they are making strides to be a great resort but they are still and long ways away from making that a reality. I would suggest going to one of the three Sandals resorts on the island instead.

Room Tip: Anything in Building 11 or 12
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Zach C
Reviewed 18 August 2014

This resort is a very relaxing and enjoyable place to be; whether you are alone, with your partner or family. It is essentially a home away from home.
My personal jingle for St. James Club (SJC) is "Excellent service + Excellent cuisine + Excellent accommodation = Excellent vacation." I would recommend SJC to anyone because its the perfect getaway.

Room Tip: It really doesn't matter which room you are at. as long as you are on the compound of SJC you wi...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Darin S
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

St James Morgan bay gros islet is a nice place to stay for the price. (If you can afford Sandels then go to Sandels but this place was fine for our budget). It's not a brand new resort but it is clean and they are updating the facility, food was very good at bamboo for breakfast and dinner, plum grill was good for lunch, tree top was good for Italian and they have gluten free pasta. Beach front in 500 block was true beach front. 600 & 700 blocks are more pool view and noisy from pool and nightly entertainment. 1200 & 1100 blocks are up a hill but true ocean view. The staff are fantastic, funny and very friendly! Swim up pool bar is great. Water sports were fun but have to sign up early in morning especially if a beginner. Also Water is not turquoise but very clean and nice to swim in, so plan on st Thomas or other island if expecting turquoise water.

Also I would recommend using St Lucia airport shuttles. Janus was very helpful with the transfer from the hotel and cheaper than using our hotel. If you can afford the helicopter to resort... do that!!! The road are falling apart and missing in a few sections from previous storms. If you go by car it's a long drive after a long flight!

Would also highly recommend doing Joy's cruise to volcano, waterfall, lunch, very good snorkeling and rum drinking on speed boat for one of your day tours!!! That was the highlight of our trip.

Zip-lining was good for a rainy cloudy day. Wear an old dark color clothing though! Must be able to climb stairs.

Also I would say bring small dollar bills $1,$5, $10 with you for tips and smaller bartering purchases around the island. It's hard to get small change in us money if you come with $20. You'll also end up with a lot of Caribbean money that way.

Rum tour was only worth going to find which types of rum I prefer. If you know which you like then save your money and spend the day at the beach and just buy duty free at uvf airport before you leave!!! We also purchased admiral Rodney aged rum recommended by tour guide. Can also get vanilla essence/spices at airport gift shop for a dollar more than what I bartered in the Castries market.

Fun time, hot & humid, buggy in some areas away from resort..bring bug spray. Most buggy was Marigot bay.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina

Been to St. James's Club Morgan Bay? Share your experiences!