“Great Location, Great Service”

Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Gros Islet
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Barbados
“Great Location, Great Service”
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Stay hear for one night. Great location near to some of the best restaurants in St.Lucia and decent beach. Staff are friendly and accomodating. Facilities are relatively new.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2010

Hotel is in a great Location.
Do try and get a deluxe beach view room - beautiful sunsets.
Rooms are large and beds are very comfy.
The frigde is of ample size.
The shower is very big and very good.
The hotel is right beside the beach and it with walking distance to a large selection of restaurents, bars etc.
also close to the Supermarket and the great coffee shop.

The only downsde is the commute from the International Airport to the Hotel, over an hr long, but at least you get to see some of the Island.
the staff are very friendly and the food is good, if you wanted to do all inclusive but with all the restaurents with walking distance, you will never go hungry.
And remember the happy hr, sitting at the beach bar, drinking tasty cocktails whilst watching fab sunsets

1 Thank Irishshango
Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 22 September 2010

Wonderful place. Paid US$160 a night average and the combination of location, amenities, staff and service is just excellent. RIght on the beach. The swimming pool is awesome. Best hotel I have been in the Caribbean so far.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Glasgow
Reviewed 18 September 2010

We stayed here on vacation for 2 weeks in september and left a little dissapointed to be honest . We spent a fair bit of time on TA before hand and where encouraged by the excellent reviews . I usually tend to ignore the bad reviews when the good ones far out weight them but I'll pay a little more attention next time . I guess our expectations are quite high , we usually opt for 5 star but we decided the reviews where so good on BGBR that we would give it a bash. I feel like I dont want to go into too much detail as we has a lenghty chat with the manager before we left and she was very apologetic although I'll try and summerise the bad points .

Communication - We where constantly left in the dark about meals/breakfast/charges .We had breakfast twice , on both occasions we where seated without a word said . We figured out where the buffet was eventually , breakfast itself was decent but expensive working out at £30 for myself and parnter . The second time we had breakfast the buffet was in a completly different format . We had a small buffet area in different location with cereal etc . I made my way to the small room where the hot buffet was previous time , only to find it closed , anyway I could go on and on about this but could get boring . I am used to someone offering us a menu and explaining what was available to us on that occasion but did not get informed in anyway which can be frustrating when you have just arrived at a resort. We come from scotland and have a strong accent , I'm not sure if this was a problem but it just felt like anytime I asked a question they would just smile and say "yes", in saying this I had no problems communicating with the manager .

Anyway , I would have liked to have felt a little more accomodated by the staff , but again Am I asking to much for a 4 star resort ?

Beach dudes - Real pain !

I was offered baskets , hats , coconuts , jewellery , paintings every day by the same people . In all honestly I dont think I had 20mins to relax without being interupted.

While sitting at the bar I felt a little sorry for one man making wire things. I offered him $30ec for his art and he asked for $50! , we eventually agreed on $30 . Dispite buying from him he continued to ask me everyday after that we met , if I would like to buy from him . I think he was so high he couldnt remember me .

I had a nasty run in with another trader who told us he was only there on sundays . He made "kiss" remarks to my partner , then asked me "what it had to do with me " . This lead to a heated shouting match between us . The man was carving stuff with a knife , we couldnt relax after that and left . The security was ever present on the beach and moved the traders along on many occasions , however this time they were no where to be seen.

I understand the beaches are public but the hotel should try harder to sort this issue , I am always polite but found myself more and more frustrated towards the end of our stay ...And no , I'm 25 with a busy schedule I dont want a time share , cant they take the hint first time ?

We found the restaurants around the hotel fantastic but very expensive . We have expensive tastes and I have no hesitation in paying top doller for top things but we found the average meal before drinks around £80-£90. I wouldnt mind paying this for a top restaurant in Glasgow or london but when your walking down dodgy lanes and side streets where you feel like you could get stabbed it doesnt quite add up to me .

So I guess we where a little dissapointed in St Lucia overall , Absolutely stunning place but just feels like they are constantly trying to rip off the tourist , dont even get me started on my £100 (which was half price) round of golf !!!! Course was in a real state .

Good points - The beds are incredibily confortable !
The accomodation was clean
Pool was fantastic
Beach area amazing (minus vendors)
Watersports are plenty .

BAd points aside we had a good time , I chartered a yacht for a few hours and proposed to my partner in the sunset before being dropped at the Coalpot restaurant which was amazing . This was the highlight of our stay .

I guess I was just wanting perfection on this vaccation and found myself a little dissapointed in some perhaps trivial things .

I would recommend BGBR , although I would say the reviews really do hype the place up a little too much for me , and led me to higher expectations which were not full filled .

3 Thank Jamster84
Montrose, Colorado
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Just wanted say that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at BGBR. The staff was attentive and very friendly, the resort grounds lovely and well maintained, the pool very relaxing (some floats were there for our use even though we brought our own) and large. Also, the restaurant (Hi Tides)was truly enjoyed by everyone in our group. Great local cuisine with fantastic Roti's, Jerked Chicken, and Seafood (especially noteworthy is that we asked for lobster when it was not on the menu and the chef was able to accomodate us...simply deliscious).
It was low season so The Dolphin's restaurant was closed other than for the bbq nite on Saturday. It was my mine and my husband's vacation and we had another couple attending the trip with us. We stayed in a one bedroom suite with full kitchen which helped us cut costs by preparing breakfast and some lunches in our room. I am attaching photos and avideo of the resort and our perception of it.
Thanks again for a wonderful wedding anniversary trip.

P.S. The only negative to the experience were the peddlers on the beach. Very hard to enjoy the beach due to their persistance in trying to sell items. \

1 Thank kdskis2
Oakton
Reviewed 7 September 2010

My stay was fabulous! The room was nice, plenty of restaurants in the area, the beach is beautiful, I stayed under the almond and seagrapes tree to relax and met several locals who work there everyday, so check out Sobius and Michael. The staff was wonderful and friendly. Andy is a great bartender and super nice.We ate at the Dolphin twice and several times by the beach. Check out Sabrinas local food down the beach in the little white building. The street party in Gros Islet is great. I would go back tomorrow if I could.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 September 2010

The hotel is nice. I traveled with my wife and little girl. The drive from and to the airport was a bit too much curvy for my little girl to handle. Once there, the staff was very helpful and courteous. Our room as spacious and clean. The maid service was top notch and ensured everything was refreshed every day. The beach is beautiful. There is plenty of shade and a nice long stretch to enjoy a morning run. Vendor are not that pushy. You can enjoy some coconut water and sugar cane as well from the man in the canoe. Overall, the hotel is not that crowded. The only complaint is the overpriced food. Sunday breakfast was a $20 / person buffet. One night they were having a $35 buffet and I asked if they are serving food from the main menu. I was essentially pushed to eat from the buffet. I left and went to a different eatery.

The best thing is to reserve a room with a kitchen and go to the grocery store and buy food to make breakfast and lunch eat day. Then there are some good cheap eats at the coffee shop and behind the coffee shop down the street.

Overall, it was a good vacation. I will return as the people and landscape are amazing. Take away the food prices and the drive, it would be great!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Bay Gardens Beach Resort? Share your experiences!