Open today: 07:00 - 02:00
Private Gros Piton Hike in St Lucia

Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Gros Piton Nature Trail
More Info
All reviews halfway point gros piton second half challenging hike decent shape big steps homemade ice cream hiking poles walking stick difficulty level ankle support energy bars marathon runners large boulders nature trail avid hiker great hike
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 February 2023 via mobile

I would echo that of others and say it is really hard! It is mainly scrambling up and down rocks.

We went with Merv “the mountain goat” and would definitely recommend booking a good guide in advance otherwise you will be assigned a guide. Merv was excellent and let us go at our own pace for the tricky bit and could answer all our questions about the nature and the area. For this reason we give it five stars. You can contact him on WhatsApp at +1 (758) 384 7844

I would recommend good shoes/boots. Don’t bother with sun cream. I was a sweaty sun cream mess instantly and it’s mostly shady. I didn’t use poles as I wanted to use my hands which worked for me.

Reviewed 13 February 2023

This is a hike that is highly touted, but frankly, disappointing. It is not a "Nature Trail" but is a steep continuous and physically demanding scramble over rocks most of the way. It rained intermittently when I did this hike which added to the difficulty level on my way down due to slippery conditions. The view was nice from the summit - not necessarily spectacular if you have hiked other landmark trails elsewhere. I bought my entrance pass from the Soufriere Foundation at the trailhead. The guide they provided accompanied us but seemed quite disinterested in the process. She did not provide any information to us about the surroundings along the hike and only responded in monosyllabic answers when we asked a question. If you want the experience of hiking one of the iconic natural features of St,Lucia you should consider this. But only if you are in decent physical shape.

1  Thank johnwD6449NR
Reviewed 11 February 2023 via mobile

I rated this lower because it ended up not being enjoyable to us at all- it was honestly miserable.

Only do this if you are incredibly fit- seriously.
We are both in decent shape and 36/42 years old. We work out but were NOT prepared - I don’t think we ever could have been for this.

I didn’t really consider this a “nature trail hike” - it is ROCKS the entire way up and down. Big ones, small ones, every step must be paid attention to so as not to fall or twist an ankle. And it is seriously steep - 2 miles up and 2 miles down. It took us about 4.5 hours. We were lucky and had a patient tour guide who let us go at a slower pace.

Just remember ROCKS when you are making your decision. The view was fine from the top but not worth the misery to get there.

1  Thank Krystina C
Reviewed 3 February 2023

After much consideration if this hike was too much for us, we did it. We are so glad we did. It is a challenging hike for sure, but worth the views and bragging rights. Our group, aged 54-65 were able to manage the challenging hike, which included relentless steep uphills, scrambling on all fours over boulder, and a brutal trip down. You can stop at the 1/4, 1/2, or 3/4 points, as well as powering all the way to the summit. Most of our group stopped at the 1/2 point, but one went all the way. Our guides were extremely attentive, supportive, patient, and encouraging. Give it a shot!!

Date of experience: January 2023
Reviewed 30 January 2023 via mobile

A lot of people we spoke to and even the guides describe this as a “moderate” hike to the halfway point and then say it gets strenuous for the second half, but I would definitely peg it as strenuous the whole way. Based on what I read before the hike, I was expecting it to be a switchback-style with smooth terrain, but the reality is that most of it is spent clambering up rocks. We only made it to the halfway point before calling it, and I was quite discouraged before our guide said about 30% of people don’t make it- something I wish I’d known beforehand so I could have gauged the difficulty for myself. I’d definitely make sure to read more reviews and know exactly what you’re getting into before paying the steep admittance fee.

Date of experience: January 2023