“No fish left in St Lucia, so why bother if you are a SCUBA diver”
Review of Anse Chastanet

Anse Chastanet
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersGold level
miami
“No fish left in St Lucia, so why bother if you are a SCUBA diver”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Well, others here have better, more complete reviews of the resort. I am writing from the perspective of an experienced SCUBA diver. After all, it is a dive resort.

First, I would make sure you get a room down close to the beach. It is a steep walk up and down with your dive gear. You are welcome to leave it in the community rooms, but you take your chances.

Second, the resort can't even bother to put in fresh water in the "rinse tanks" My gear was more filthy after using those, so we rerouted to using our shower in our room for our rinse.
Third, There is little to no life left in the reefs. Why? I suspect overfishing, but the dump you will drift over (at Soufriere) and all of its debris may be cause. As for the "natural park" at the resort, it is a basically 50 yards roped off from the cliff area. However, the locals simply jump out of boats to spearfish right next to the roped are. That may also explain why there is not fish in the area.

Fourth the dive guides/instructors are not very serious. When we asked to use an analyzer to measure our NITROX, we got a wisecrack about "don't you trust us?" Those who are NITROX certified understand what this implies...

We dive regularly in South Florida so we are used to great reefs and corals and fishes. For a less experienced diver, you probably won't know what is missing for the Anse Chastanet SCUBA resort.

I was very sad to see the condition of the SCUBA diving. As a resort its beautiful; that's why I give it 3 stars: 4 stars for the resort, 2 for the diving.

Room Tip: No easy choice: go up the hill and have a great view (but a steep walk up from the beach) or stay do...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank travlindudeMiami

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We've just returned from six days at Anse Chastanet, a lovely and relaxing vacation overall, but were surprised by some basic flaws that we did not expect to find at what is frequently touted as one of the finest resort properties on the island.

First the good things: Chastanet is situated in a stunningly beautiful part of the world, nestled into a cliff side with rooms ingeniously designed to offer both privacy and panoramic views of the surrounding jungle, the Pitons and the sea from the hillside and higher category rooms. There is a profusion of staff (over 450 we were told) that flood the property. Mostly this was a good thing but at times staff would ask us what room we were in for no apparent reason. There are four restaurant menus and a variety of locations for dining from the beach on up to the treetops. The two black sand beaches are seldom busy and offer good swimming, kayaking, and snorkeling. The beach food and drink service is very good (bear in mind however that the Anse Mamin beach burger is not all its cracked up to be) and if you don't want to take the stairs to reach the beaches there appeared to be fairly frequent shuttle service up and down the hill. Among the activities offered, Meno's plantation tours and Captain K's "Searenity" sunset sailing were unforgettable.

The surprises: the bars were frequently out of standard items such as limes, lemons, and mint. An all-inclusive meals/drinks plans only includes house wines which were of average to below average quality and any drinks over $10 or $12 (depending on which staff member you spoke with) were charged as extras to your bill. I was able to correct the many billing errors before leaving but having to deal with this on vacation is a drag. The food is mostly good but was never great, except at Jade. On the concrete walks (which have clearly seen better days) to our room there was a frequent unfortunate odor from sewage drain pipes. Not exactly what you expect at these prices. Our bathroom, while roomy and with great ceramic tile flooring which is used throughout the resort, had one of the goofiest showers I have ever used. I can only describe it as "Motel 6" quality, with very low water pressure and no adjustments on the shower head. We know they can very easily do better in the shower and meals department: we booked a spa/dinner package at Jade and spent the day in a "sanctuary" which had excellent facilities and meal service.

My guess is the owners' strategy at Anse is to entice you to spend even more and head up to Jade, but my recommendation to the Troubetskoys would be to offer proper value at Anse Chastanet (a comp massage, a modern bathroom, there are any number of options) and perhaps they will encourage folks like ourselves to return.

Room Tip: Stick with the hillside or higher category rooms for the best experience.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Norman R
Canada
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I was shocked to read the negative review posted on March 24. Let me say that this wasn't our experience at all, and I went to Anse Chastanet with some hesitations. We usually take more active holidays, and I wasn't sure about a beach holiday at all.

I had a positive impression of the resort from the minute we sat down to fill out the forms. We actually enjoyed the drinks after a long day of travel, and it was pleasant to unwind. I'm sorry that the previous reviewer didn't take advantage of the property tour the next day as we learned a lot about the property and what it offers.

I was most shocked by the reviewer's comments about the rude wait staff. We loved everyone who worked here, starting with the wait staff but including literally everyone else. I was blown away by their friendliness and we got to know several of them quite well. Some of the staff called us by name before we'd even met them, and everyone smiled and said hi. We've stayed at many wonderful properties around the world and found the service here second to none.

There's quite a bit of variety in the rooms, so if you aren't happy with the room you're given, you could ask to see another one. We did have an issue with the heat in our room the first night, but it was dealt with quickly and impressively. I truly had the feeling that they'd go an extra mile - or two - to make us happy.

For a Caribbean island, I thought the food was excellent. One of the reasons we chose Anse Chastanet was because they had four restaurants with a lot of variety in their food. We went with our teenagers, one of whom is quite a picky eater, and there was always something to make her happy.

We loved the excursions we took, and both of the beaches were great. You can take a water taxi to the second one, but we found it easier just to walk. Yoga classes were amazing, and we loved our massages.

This property was a wonderful place for our family and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to any of my friends.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
12 Thank bakery
Shaker Heights, Ohio
Reviewed 25 March 2012

It is almost hard to believe that a place like this exists. When you open your eyes and look out from your room in the morning, you feel like you are in a Walt Disney sketch of paradise. It seems almost too perfect. The staff was considerably nice and attentive. We booked this hotel based upon the reviews we read about the Scuba. The scuba and the dive masters are top notch. It will be surprising if we find scuba service quite like what these dive masters provided. The food was also superior, and there is no need to worry about calories, because the hike from your room to the beach is like 30 min on the Elliptical machine (they have shuttles though). Our only regret is that we should have stayed here longer, as we split of time in St Lucia at 2 resorts. Don't waste your time in the northern part of St. Lucia, you can find that Caribbean'esq feel anywhere. Our mom gave us this honeymoon trip, which we are forever grateful for allowing us this magical experience - thank you mom!
Thanks Anse! Laura and Brendan Breen

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LBreen
mattapoisett, ma
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We had a wonderful visit back to Anse Chastenet. We were there 19 years ago for our honeymoon and decided to return for our anniversary. The customer service was incredible! The owner of the hotel meets every guest on the Tuesday night welcome cocktail reception. We mentioned to her that we loved our balcony with an incredible view but it was missing a hammock (as a joke) This was a comment made in passing and she went on to speak with at least 30 other guests. The next morning we went down to the beach and returned to our room where they were installing a beautiful 2 person hammock! It was perfect. Ask for room 5D and there it will be. Now that is customer service!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to a hillside deluxe room. They are very private and have views to die for!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank debbythec
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I wanted to warn others about this 3 star hotel.
Pros
Nice Beach, but crowded with many boats motorboats coming and going throughout the day.
Not a lot of bugs. Good housekeeping.
Cons
Reception is appalling, when you arrive they sit you down and have you fill out forms for over 20 minutes with a crappy drink before taking you to your room. We were told we had to go to a 10 am orientation the next day which we didnt do.
Room OK we stayed in the hillside deluxe. Not worth the $900.00 per night we paid. You would expect to be paying around 500 tops. For this you get a fridge, coffee maker and hot water maker. Internet service is awful, no phones to call reception.
Food average and expensive.
Most of the wait staff was very rude and agressive. Eating dinner was very unpleasant. One night my husband asked to see a manager because the hostess refused to let us sit at 1 of 3 empty tables because? she had no real reason. we ate at another restaurant and noted when we left that all three tables were still unoccupied 1 hour later.
Its just not worth the money for such mediocre service, stay far away.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank sam686
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 24 March 2012

I admit to a fair amount of anxiety about the property leading up to my visit. At $800 per night, it is still the 4th or 5th most expensive resort in the area, and ranked only 7th of 12 hotels in Soufrieres on Trip Advisor - I worried it would not be up to standard. Fortunately, I was proven very wrong but not immediately. We had requested a room as high up on the hill as possible to ensure a strenuous workout every time we ventured out, and we got what we asked for - Room 12D. It's a dark treehouse of a room set on the Rainforest side with a huge bathroom and a small view of the Sea below. I wasn't happy but it had been a long travel day so we napped and went down to dinner. On the way, I requested a room change.

Our first meal was at the Indian restaurant on the beach. It's a beautiful setting and the food was about the best on the island. The service was professional and pitch perfect. After dinner, we danced the night away to LM Stone, a great local band. I went to sleep a little happier for the experience.

The next day, Peter, the Property Manager found me on the beach and we were moved to 5D, a room with a large open terrace, expansive beautiful views and a smaller bathroom. A fantastic setting! I was now ready for my vacation.

You can be as active as you choose at Anse. We chose very active: we biked the rainforest (fun but the trails aren't great); hiked Gros Piton (gorgeous and super hard); snorkeled several times a day (beautiful); climbed Tinker's trail in the Rainforest (highly recommend in preparation for Gros Piton); kayaked several times (perfect); played Kadima on the beach (bring your own); and, of course, we walked the 200 odd steps to and from the room several times a day.

In short, it was a great holiday made even more special by the people - staff and guests. It is the kind of friendly environment where people interact freely and authentically.

If I could change something it would be the breakfast buffet - the presentation is not terribly appetizing and the food choices are too conventional in my opinion. Similarly, lunch was heavy and too 'cooked' for my liking. Lighter fare with more raw choices would be more appropriate to the setting.

That said, the staff could not be more accommodating listening constructively to our every comment and suggestion.

I loved this place.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
9 Thank MemphisNabe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 12 in Gros Islet

Been to Anse Chastanet? Share your experiences!