“Romantic Paradise!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Romantic Paradise!!!”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I read over a 100 reviews on this place before I finally decided on it. I thought I could provide a very thorough review to help others who may be in the place I once was.

First off, I never take the time to write reviews but I was so blown away by this place that I just felt the need to tell everyone.

We stayed for one week in a deluxe hillside room.
My fiance and I had a unforgettable experience at this place and would definitely pay the big bucks to do it all over again.

Rooms
The reviews are true there is no air conditioning in the rooms and they are more like rustic tree houses than hotel rooms. It took a little bit of getting use to but I feel like the room gives you an authentic experience. There are also no tvs. You are on vacation you don't need it. My fiance and I spend all our time at home watching tv this forced us to spend qaulity time together it was quite wonderful.

Exceptional!! I am a very picky eater and I did not have a single meal I did not enjoy. They had 5 resturants that had different menus every day our only regret is we didnt have enough time to try everything. When you go to the caribbean you expect mediocre buffet food at best. At anse chasanet everything is a la carte prepared fresh and every meal was like dining at a fine dining establishment. However, I think it's essential to pay the extra and get the all inclusive package as the meals seperatley would be quite pricey. As well, be weary of "caribbean time" I think coming from a big city you're use to service and food being very quick and efficient. They encourage you to slow down and take your time to really enjoy yourself.

The staff here at anse chastanet really know how to go above and beyond to meet your every need. I have a few points of service i'd love to share.
We somehow locked ourselves out of our bathroom at 3 in the morning they glady sent a handy man to our room 5 minutes later.
We also managed to lose our safe key on the beach. It would of costs $80US to drill the safe. We were quite distraught but 3 staff members raked the beach for an hour until they found it. If thats not service I don't know what is
I also mentioned to the chef that I loved the coconut macaroons they made, he couldnt get me any before I left (because they weren't made yet) but he had vaccum sealed fresh shredded coconut sent to my room so that I could make them myself at home!! These are some of the examples of the staff going so out of their way to accomodate us that made our stay so unforgettable.

The staff also perform turndown service twice a day. Once in the morning to freshen things up and make your bed and once again at night to layout the mosquito net and light the candles to keep the bugs away.
There is also full service on the beach. You lay in the cabana and just plant the provided flag in the sand when you need anything and an attenedant will glady bring you any drink or food you want that was one of our favourite features of this hotel!

Grounds
This resort is NOT a party hotel. If you want to go with a bunch of friends I recommend the sandals I hear they're awesome for that. This resort is definitely a honeymoon resort everything is set up for a romantic experience. From candle light dinner everynight with tables only set for twos.
There were amazing views of stars and they light up pathways on the beaches at night so you can go for romantic walks.
The beach itself is not that big compared to the bigger chain resorts i've been to but we never had a problem getting a cabana to lay in (cabana use is also free :)
Note:* there is no pool, but who needs a pool when you have the ocean?

Activities
The snorkeling along the beach is beautiful, if you can swim over to anse chasanets sister island you get to see giant sea turtles.

I've never been scuba diving before but I took thier very reasonably priced course. It was simple to understand and very straight forward I loved it so much I paid $40 extra and got an additional guided boat dive. Our tourguide was amazing he made a point to find things that we would have never seen otherwise.

I would also highly reccommend the walking tour of sourfriere them hotel offers for free every saturday morning. I love getting to know what carribbean islands are really like and I feel like you can only really do that when you step outside of the resort. Our guide was extremley knowledgable about the nature on the way and he's actually from the town of Soufrire as well so he was able to give us a very thorough tour of the town.

If you want a little bit of party during your stay I suggest the friday night fish fry. They take you to a neighbouring island where you can buy all the local foods and have a drunken good time.
tip: get your money exchanged at the hotel it'll be cheaper and easier because the locals usually priced things in their currency.

Additional notes:
There are loud tree frogs at night it was weird the first night but eventually we got use to the sound and actually missed it when we returned home. If you are a light sleeper you'll need earplugs.
There are also lots and lots of stairs. 105 from the lobby to the beach I counted one day out of curiousity.
If you're in reasonable shape you should be fine. After a few days you get use to them.
The hotel is located on top of a hill the ride from the airport was up twisting and riding roads followed by a very bumpy hill up to the actual hotel if you get motion sickness bring gravol.
I don't think this would be an appropriate family resort. Everything is catered to adult tastes.

I hope this review was helpful. If you are looking for a unique caribbean getaway but are tired of the cookie cutter places this is the place for you. If you enjoy gourment food and execptional service this is the place for you. Enjoy! :)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank mkhuu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Lakeland, Florida, United States
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Let me start by saying that this hotel isn't for everyone. The hotel is located in a rustic area, surrounded on all sides by jungle. There is no AC and no TVs in the rooms and with St. Lucia being so close to the equator it is going to be hot. Anyone that is unable to handle going up or down stairs on a daily basis should honestly look for another hotel.
That being said, my wife and I had an amazing time on our honeymoon here. The views are simply breathtaking, the snorkeling/scuba diving is world class, and the food was delicious. We opted for an all inclusive package which we would highly recommend to anyone staying at this resort. Having all of our food and beverages paid for in advance made for a stress free trip, especially when we saw how much our food would have cost at the end of each meal. With the beach area being such a great place to lunge for hours on end, having our mojitos and daiquiris (both were some of the best we’ve ever had) prepaid for was a huge plus because between the two of us we had over a 200$ a day bar bill. Again, can’t stress enough that I would go with the all inclusive food and drink packages.
The locals couldn’t have been any more friendly and hospitable during our stay. We expected this from the staff at the resort, who didn’t disappoint .Even the taxi drivers, tour guides, and local beach vendors fell into this category which was a pleasant surprise. We are already planning our next trip back to the island.
I would recommend anyone who was not put off by the first part of my review. In my opinion, everything this hotel has to offer far outweighs anything that it doesn’t. Our room, 7A had without a doubt one of the best views at the resort.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 7A, anyone considering one of the Hillside rooms should spend the extra money on u...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nathan S
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The lack of air-conditioning in the hillside rooms and the unbelievably loud frogs ALL NIGHT made it impossible to sleep. It was August and rainy season and it rained a lot. I didn't realize frogs get even louder when it rains! Scaling the hill to get back and forth from the room to the beach was a chore, but I suppose it was good exercise. This resort tries very hard to be "all that" and is very expensive. The grounds are beautiful, but the facilities seem a little run down. If you are not in the air-conditioned beach side rooms, there is no place to escape the heat except for The Spa, which was pricey but the therapists were well trained. Neither restaurant or bar is enclosed and the bugs feasted on me. This wasn't the vacation I thought it was going to be. At least my husband enjoyed the diving (I do not dive, but the snorkeling was very nice right off the beach).

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Penrith, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2012

Great service. Food excellent quality but menu god restrictive towards the end of the week.
We stayed in the beachfront rooms which were well worth the upgrade for convenience and Aircon. They are spacious and well furnished.
My wife checked out some of the hillside rooms and said they were looking a bit tired.
Diving and snorkeling was good and rental equipment well maintained and good quality.
The staff were uniformly friendly and helpful, although the Dive guides were less so than some places I have been

Room Tip: See comments on rooms above
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank radish20
Cornwall UK
Reviewed 14 August 2012

This place is right on one of the best snorkelling/diving beaches in the caribbean so highly recommended if you want to do a lot of that! However, climbing back up to your room is like scaling the north face of the Eiger with 300 plus steep steps to negotiate - not much fun in the heat of the day.
The food was good but horrifically expensive and it was tricky to escape and sample some genuine caribbean local food, as car hire and taxis also very expensive and it was too far to walk into the town. The water taxi cost also added up, and we felt discouraged in general to leave the resort without parting with huge sums of money. My husband was even told he couldn't walk about the extensive grounds on his own for bird watching, they insisted he paid for a guide which was quite unnecessary.
The staff were all very nice etc but generally we felt somewhat trapped and robbed at mealtimes where even a lunchtime snack worked out at about £20! If you do not know the caribbean you will like this place, but if you know the other islands you will feel very restricted and peeved by the prices.

Room Tip: If you dont like mountaneering ask for one on the ground floor!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cornwallharpcentre
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 August 2012

My husband & I just returned from a blissful week at Anse Chastenet. The food is excellent and the service is outstanding. The staff is friendly and accomodating, with most remembering our names after the first day. We travel extensively in the Caribbean & Bahamas and Anse Chastenet far exceeded our expectionations! After only mentioning that we could hear a loud child above us, we were moved (and upgraded) to a fabulous suite featuring a big tree growing through the room! A complete WOW! Two beautiful black sand beaches (don't forget your flops - the sand get HOT), on-site dive shop, kayaks, wind-surfers, sunfish sailing, beach towel and food/drink service, etc., all excellent! The scenery will take your breathe away! Anse Chastenet is situated on a steep hill - many steps to navigate. Not appropriate for anyone not able to traverse steps, but a great workout allowing guests to eat the delicious desserts guilt-free! Would also not recommend for children. Highly recommend this resort!

Room Tip: Standard rooms, while very nice, are quite small w/little storage. Worth paying a little more if you...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SuumerGirl59
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2012

Anse Chastenet is an amazing place. We revisised it after 21 years and although it was slightly more developed it was still amazing.

It has spectacular views of the Pitons to one side and the Caribbean on another. The resort is surrounded by rain forest and is peaceful to the extreme. It has a wonderful diving facility and also provides free kayaks, snorkeling equipment and sailing dingy's.

Despite it only having around 47 gazebo's the dining facilities are wonderful with a vegetarian restaurant, Indian / St Lucian fusion restaurant, a fine dining restaurant & beach restaurant. All providing excellent food. The breakfasts are amazing with massive choice and eggs cooked specially for you.

The treetops bar serves great cocktails and is a wonderful place to view the sunsets as well as listen later in the evening to relaxing live music.

The hotels beach isn't private but gets very few other visitors and the beach facilities are for guest only. This includes a clear service of drinks and food to your beach shelter. The hotel has another beach a short work away which is quieter but also provides sun beds, beach umbrellas & towels. It also has a beach bar and serves great burgers.

The staff are brilliant and provide great service in a friendly Caribbean style.

Just one warning, there are no phones in the rooms, or air-conditioning, or TV's / Radios. It's a peaceful place. There is WIFI access in the Bar along with a couple of PC's if you crave communication with the outside world.

The rooms are cooled by sea breezes (no glass in the windows just shutters) and the quietest ceiling fans I have ever come across. It can get a bit warm it the rooms but the copious terraces always have cool spots as well as more ceiling fans.

It really is paradise!

Room Tip: There are a few beach side rooms but we stayed in a Hillside Gazebo (D5) it had views of the Pitons...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank derek011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Anse Chastanet? Share your experiences!