“Relaxing, beautiful, unique”

GreenLeadersGold level
Nebraska
“Relaxing, beautiful, unique”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here in May for our "baby-moon" or the last vacation we will have for 18 years :)
I was 4 months pregnant at the time and had no issues with the heat, the stairs, the food, etc. Our room was outstanding, we had more space than we would ever need. The heat is pretty intense. We were there for 3 nights and 4 days and it was the perfect amount of time. Any longer and I am sure the charm would have worn off.
We loved both of the beaches and felt very secluded and did not have to share the space with a lot of other travelers. We got the half-board option so breakfast and dinner was included, which was ok for us because I wasn't able to drink. The drinks and food are very pricey, we definitely saved money with this option.
We arranged a transfer from the airport and the drive was unique and very steep, but our cab driver was great. It was quite an experience. We highly recommend taking advantage of the snorkel gear, the kayaks, and the Jungle Tour at Anse Mamin. We simply adored it.
The staff is great, the food is great.
Overall a once in a lifetime experience.

Room Tip: The beach rooms are a waste of time-the higher up on the hill, the better the view!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NebraskaLandlocked

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The good points from my holiday:

Beautiful location.
The staff were very friendly and did everything to make sure I had a good time.
My room was upgraded to 8A, which is a fantastic room (spacious, breezy, good fans, amazing view).
Made my birthday feel very special with champagne at breakfast and a cake delivered to my room in the evening.
A 1.5L bottle of water is replaced in the room daily at no additional cost, and a fruit plate was in the fridge on arrival.
The transfer to the airport was arranged perfectly, with no effort on my part.
The sea is clear and warm, really lovely for swimming.
The service on the beach is fantastic with very attentive staff, and they came round with free fruit kebabs which is a lovely touch; I was left in peace if I did not want anything.
Good efficient service in the restaurants.

The not-so-good points:

The food was pretty average, especially breakfast and lunch - I was disappointed, it resembled more stodgy fast food than high quality local dishes. Dinner was better.
The birds at breakfast flew in and drank from my glass, flew away with food from my plate and pooed on my table while I ate; more than once I was shown to a chair that was covered in it.
Two times I noticed male staff members peering into my room for no apparent reason, moving off when I went to the door. The rooms are not particularly private.

Other notes:

This is not a reflection of the hotel at all, but I'm just mentioning this as a heads up to people visiting the area for the first time. I took three different types of insect repellent and applied liberally but I was, apparently, still irresistible to the mosquitos here. I look like I've got chickenpox, and the last couple of days of my holiday were quite unpleasant from the many bites (close to 40 bites on my legs). If you know you are tasty to mosquitos come very well prepared. I resorted to wearing leggings in the 30+ degree heat to avoid getting any more bites as nothing else worked. I'm sure there's a business opportunity for me as a mozzie magnet!

I read in Trip Advisor reviews before my holiday to take travel sickness pills for the car ride from the airport to hotel - this was a valuable piece of advice! I'm not particularly prone to car sickness, but there are many bends on the 1-hour drive, so worth considering before you travel if you think you might be affected. The road up the hill to the hotel is very bumpy but it didn't feel unsafe at all.

Jungle noise - this didn't bother me at all and I've not rated sleep quality on it, but as the sun sets the noise from the jungle gets louder and louder (not sure what it is - cicadas, crickets?). If you are a light sleeper this might affect you, but I found it easy to ignore.

Overall it was a good holiday and the location is stunning, but I felt the hotel is overpriced and the food below par. I wouldn't consider returning myself.

Room Tip: I had room 8A which is excellent, very spacious, this is the highest room on the hill giving a terri...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank 542Mas
Orlando Florida
Reviewed 14 September 2013

My husband and I just returned home from a very relaxing and wonderful week at Anse Chastanet in St Lucia. We took advantage of the fantastic offer that Caradonna Dive had told us of and were very pleased that we did! My husband and I are seasoned travelers, we scuba dive and have been to many great resorts. We really loved out stay in St Lucia!!!!
First of all- the staff in this resort are by far, the friendliest, genuine, accommodating and cheerful people we have ever encountered! You can obviously tell they loved their jobs and who they worked for!
The dive operation was excellent- easy access to your gear, easy set up and many great dives scheduled throughout the day so you don't feel rushed or hurried to be ready and go go go!
The dive boats are very convenient- well thought out design, easy on, easier off!!!
Diving the reefs were very nice easy dives, nice vis, a few currents and the reefs themselves were very very healthy- corals were just beautiful! Not alot of big fish, but the amount of the smaller ones was quite abundant and there was a very nice diversity! There are many dives here which would be excellent for beginner divers to build their confidence! We really enjoyed the diving, and all the staff were great!!!
The rooms- this resort is simply beautiful, nice big airy rooms! The only issue I had is that it was really hot in the rooms in the afternoon since there is not AC, but the bellman was lightning quick in bringing us a floor fan that kept us very comfortable. I would suggest that all non AC rooms have an additional floor fan as well as a small corner fan in the bathroom to help circulate the air. I loved sitting out on the porch in the evenings! The rooms were kept immaculate, plenty of fresh towels and a great turndown service.
The food- It was great!!!! The waterside grill served lunch and dinner and it was excellent!!! They offered an amazing grilled menu and then had a side restaurant that served Indian/ Caribbean that was our favorite. The upstairs restaurant served a nice menu of fresh caught fish and other fare and they also had many vegetarian dishes to offer as well! They also served a wonderful breakfast buffet! The desserts were epic!!! I highly recommend doing the meal plan with your stay!!!
Now this resort is perched on a rather steep hill, it took a few days of getting used to the hike and the resort has a car service that will pick you up and take you to the beachside level and back again. They were quick and we used them particularly on the hotter days!
It is a nature resort and this is a tropical island- there were many birds and I found them to be quite delightful- and they will fly up to you at breakfast and into your rooms!
The beach- was cozy and very private...as you walked over to the beautiful cushioned reclining beach loungers, you were greeted by the beach attendant who not only provided you with a big lush towel- but wiped clean your cushions of sand and set a new very comfortable terry cover over the cushions for you!!!! I loved this!!!!! Each two couch station was covered by a huge thatched roof to keep you cool. You can also order lunch and drinks to be delivered beachside.
Then, during the heat of the day- they give you a cool scented cloth and an icy!!!! I loved that too!!!!
We were lucky enough to encounter a nest of hawkbill sea turtle hatching during the resorts Tuesday evening beach party... it was late, several hatchlings were drawn to the bar lights so my husband and I, along with the staff and other guests all took part on collecting the babies and bringing them to the shore! What an amazing experience!!!!!
They have a beautiful spa on site, and an art gallery...many tours and excursions so you can stay as busy as you want!
I'll give Anse Chastanet a well deserved rating of excellent and look forward to coming back soon!!!!

Room Tip: We had room 5A, Beautiful views of both the sea and Pitons from the porch!!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CoralReeferArt
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Hillside room, with the fourth wall wide open to the sea? Can it get any more sexy??
Terrific little curving beach below, with a great (GREAT) reef for snorkeling thirty meters offshore?
Food as good as you need?
Just outside Soufriere (great little town, not too touristy)?
The best resorts on the island, with the best dining options all within a couple twisty miles/
Yes, NO, yes, yes, yes, and yes.
Definitely.
Would stay again in a heartbeat

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DrGeis
North Collins, New York
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We stayed at Anse Chastanet 15 years ago, and had an opportunity to stay there again last week. It was all that we had remembered and more in its setting, hospitality, and luxury. There were several weddings and many honeymooners around, along with scuba divers like us. The dive shop is run by welcoming people, with an experienced staff, quality equipment, and good air tanks. We loved the beach cabanas where we could safely leave our belongings all day, and then crash on our beach chairs between dives. There are always water taxis available to go to town or to the other beach at Anse Mamin. We did need to know what our package covered since there are so many services and food/drink options available. I would recommend a trip to the spa for an end of week massage! Boutique shopping was a bit expensive for me. Finally, the menu at the Treehouse Restaurant was delightful, changing daily, and always tasty.

Room Tip: It's such a lovely resort, I don't think there are any poor locations for views! However, i...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 300kathyd
Stamford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My wife and I spent a wonderful week here this August that truly made our year. The room we had was cozy, private – with a view that we never tired of – magical! The people we met working at this resort here full of generosity, humor and happiness. They made our experience feel like we had come home – lots of smiles. The food, like the people, continued to amaze us all week. Wonderful flavors to enjoy from breakfast to dinner and the portions matched the flavors – real care and thought was given to what we where served.

We did not venture off the resort property – choosing to enjoy the beach, the water sports, the snorkeling and the yoga. Sitting on the beach and just enjoying the serenity and beauty, gave us the opportunity to reconnect, recharge and renew ourselves. And it didn’t hurt that the great food and service extended to the beach – with lunches and drinks delivered to our beach chairs!

We cannot wait to return to this paradise, to un-connect from the world and connect to each other and to our selves – Anse Chastanet is what paradise was meant to be!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia
Reviewed 5 September 2013

My husband and I just returned from 4 nights at this wonderful hotel- we LOVED it!! I had booked a Hillside Deluxe room asking for missing fourth wall if possible- we got it! From the moment we arrived customer service was great and felt very welcomed. Reception staff was friendly and eager to please. The very first person we encounted was a staff member at entrance of hotel who took our bags and stated " from this point forward your job is to do nothing but relax". This is what great customer service is all about.
After unpacking we loved our room but views of rainforest and ocean- no view of Pitons. I knew it was a 50/50 chance of Piton view so not big deal especially since they gave me room with missing fourth wall but my husband walked to reception and explained to them we loved our room and absolutely nothing wrong with room but if during stay any chance of free upgrade with Piton view would be awesome. They told him to wait and then manager came out and gave him options of free room upgrade with Piton view for following day or jacuzzi room upgrade with price change. We took free room upgrade gratefully. The following day we checked out of our room at noon, did some diving, and came back at 3pm to the most beautiful room and views I have ever seen! They upgraded us to Premium room 7F- views were unbelievable! We were soo appreciative and stunned at how accomodating they were for us.
The beach is stunning and water crystal clear with black soft sand that gives water turquoise appearance. Rainforest surrounding with cliffs. Amazing snorkelling right off beach with free snorkel rentals. Also free kayaking and paddle boards. The service on beach was outstanding- a gentleman each day would come set our towels up on chairs under beautiful straw umbrellas and remind us that the small pole with flag was for us to prop in sand to alert him if we needed anything. I can not say enough about how beautiful the beach was and how great the service was. There is also a beach bar with lunch far directly on beach overlooking water. Great location!
Scuba diving shop right on beach- staff wonderful and accomodating and diving was very nice. Three boat dives a day available- must do a shore dive first which we knew prior to going but weren't really enthused about- just figured it was their rule so let's do it so we can start REALLY diving- the shore dive was beautiful and one of my favorites! Saw lots of array of fish, eels, some squid, tons of shrimp, crabs, and lobster, etc. The boat ride to each dive site was under 15 minutes with great views of the Pitons.
We did climb the Piton- they are not kidding when they say it is challenging! My husband and I are in our 30's and in pretty good shape and they were times I was panting. We were both dripping in sweat when done almost 2 hour hike to top but really glad we did it! My only suggestion would be to look into pricing- we had a rental jeep and were debating if we should just drive to Piton hoping guide would be at base and available to take us on hike- you can not do this climb without one- or set up through hotel. We ended up booking through hotel for $85 per person. This included a breakfast tray drop off the night before consisting of pastries and fruit - tour pickup time 0630 -, ride to Piton approx 25 minutes, and hike. When we arrived to Piton there is small office that supplies the guides- they charge $30 per person for climb. We were a little annoyed we could have drived there and saved ourselves $110 dollars total and wondered why so expensive through hotel? We decided not a big deal do to fact we got free room upgrade but would do ourselves next time as opposed to booking through hotel.
There were three restaurants on site for dinner. My ONLY complaint about this hotel is that it is pricey. The island is taxed 15% on all goods and has to import many things so understand things are going to be expensive. I just feel the hotel goes a bit overboard on their prices. We were not bothered by this since we had car and ate out a lot. There are some great local restaurants in town of Soufrierre. I would definitely suggest car rental and exploring local cuisine. We had the breakfast buffet last day and it was $24 pp plus tax- we each got buffet and I had one mimosa and cost $76 US dollars. We had lunch at beach bar with 2 drinks each and spent over $100 US dollars. A glass of Prosecco was $14 dollars. Once again, our overall experience was soo great this was overlooked but would be my only negative of hotel. The food at beach bar and Indian restaurant we had dinner at one night was excellent. Breakfast was average.
If you venture out there is a restaurant called at Hummingbird hotel at bottom of road that was very good, Orlando's was awesome, and Fond Deux super affordable! Great lunch for $27 US dollars!
The people on this island were soo friendly no matter if on resort or out in town. Other than this hotel being a little expensive I can not understand the bad reviews. I would go back in a second and probably will! Some complaints I read about I will comment on- There are quite a number of stairs from beach to room but I liked the fact I was getting some exercise. And yes, you will hear loud birds in morning but your on an island with one wall missing or louvres so what did you expect? No phone in room but was one located outside situated in between all rooms- no big deal. No TV?- if you need a TV in this place you shouldn't be travelling to islands at all. We had no AC in our room - just ceiling fans- used sheet every night. Never hot and sweaty.
I am the type of person that is looking for natural beauty, stunning views, and rustic rooms. This place has that. I understand the complaints about food prices or even prices in general. This is a pricier hotel. I think it was totally worth it. Rent a car and eat out and wasn't that big of a deal. If you want super modern rooms with TV's go to a chain hotel.
Thank you again to Michelle and manager for free room upgrade! It was awesome!

Room Tip: 7E if you can afford premium room with guaranteed Piton views totally worth it!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank papale10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 12 in Gros Islet

Been to Anse Chastanet? Share your experiences!