“Amazing Place”

GreenLeadersGold level
“Amazing Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Room ;
We stayed here as part of our honeymoon and were happy with 99% of what we found here. We stayed in a deluxe beachfront apartment which was fantastic. The room quite traditional and rustic. It was comfortable and pleasant and we used the outdoor terrace every night. It was a bit dated but lovely nevertheless. The deluxe rooms have air conditioning which we found was a nice to have option on particularly hot days.
We stayed on an all inclusive basis and are glad we did as the resort is crazy expensive. US$ 5.00 for a bottle of still water so you can imagine what the rest of the drinks cost. We had an in room fridge that could be filled with whatever we liked from the AI drinks menu. You are charged US5$ For the staff to fill the fridge but as we pretty much filled the fridge for the duration of our stay we only needed it to be filled once.
Good news for the ladies Proseco is on the AI drinks plan!
Food ;
Food in the three main restaurants was generally of a pretty high standard although we both had one or two meals over the 10 days that were slightly below par. On the whole though we were very satisfied.
The only negative comment we had with regards to food was the breakfast. It was very basic buffet style and had an omelette station but overall this was the element of Anse Chastanet that wowed us least.
The facts that from the beach rooms you have to climb 130 steps to get to breakfast seemed to go some way to killing our appetites most mornings so we occasionally asked for a take out box to put pastries in so we could have a light breakfast on the terrace. (You have tea & coffee in room)
Entertainment ;
We hadn't expected entertainment as such but the treehouse bar had live music of some kind on every night. Everything from a lone saxophonist to a full on country & western band. The country band played on Monday nights and packed the dancefloor as they were excellent. Check out Elicher one of the waitresses strutting her stuff on the dancefloor to get things going! Plenty of traditional Caribbean music as you'd expect.
Beach ;
The beach is beautiful. Quiet, private sandy cove with crystal clear waters and fantastic marine life to keep snorklers occupied. Plenty of non-motorized water sports such as paddleboarding, sailing, kyaking and windsurfing. The staff do a great job in keeping the beach in pristine condition. Just put your flag in the sand and somebody will be over in a flash to take your drinks/food order.
Beach attendants Walter, Abo, Junior, and Oliver to name a few were awesome people. Friendly and attentive without being overbearing.
Every day twice a day you will have Junior coming round to give you cold lemongrass towels to cool off as well as spraying you with eucalyptus scented water. This guy is a blast, very funny, very friendly and whenever you hear him coming you can't help but smile knowing your turn isn't far away. Junior will tell you "well my friend, that's it for round one but I will be back at 2 o clock for the second round. It might be just Junior it might be just Oliver... Or it might be DOUBLE TROUBLE"
The guy is a legend!
Scuba St. Lucia
My wife was doing her PADI Advanced Open Water dive course here at the resort and we couldn't have asked for more. There are 3 or 4 dives a day and night dives on the house reef on Mondays.
The house reef is excellent, a lovely sandy bottom dotted with coral pinnacles leading to a steepish drop-off to 30m and beyond. As a training environment this place was awesome. The house reef is great, topographically interesting and home to plenty of life such as lobster, scorpion fish, moray eels etc.
Boat diving was excellent and travel time to the dive sights was made fast by powerful twin outboards so your transit time to dives was never much more than 5-10 minutes away.
The boats themselves have a ramp to get on/off at the bow and twin dive ladders at the stern so giant strides in were easily done.
The dive staff were fantastic. Friendly, helpful, and very safety conscious they couldn't do enough for you. Garfield (boat captain) Bonita (dive guide) Ponti (dive guide) just to name some of the people we met were great people to be around and very experienced. They went about their business in a very thorough but relaxed way and we thoroughly enjoyed diving with them.
You have to be guided on dives in St. Lucia by law unfortunately so no unaccompanied diving but you can just space out enough not to end up diving with too many around you.
Most of my diving has been in the Red Sea so I have been spoilt by what I am used to diving wise and I can honestly say I was not disappointed one bit with the diving here as it was varied and interesting every dive we did.
I was actually pleasantly surprised as I've dived Barbados and Florida and expected something similar to those but St. Lucia has far more to offer.
Staff;
The staff were fantastic. We were made to feel welcome by everybody we met out here. We found that if you were just friendly and chatty with the staff they were more than happy to engage you but never did we feel as if anybody was intruding on our time.
Janice at breakfast and Esther at lunch were just lovely and as I mentioned earlier Elicher in the bar was so full of energy and enthusiasm that it was positively infectious.
Summary ;
All in all a wonderful holiday and it is definitely somewhere we would go back to in a heartbeat.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rich J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
East Coast, US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

Anse Chastanet is great. It is expensive, to be sure, and they make it nearly impossible to save money once you're there. They're very good at nicke-and-diming you. Just know that coming in and you'll have a better time. Bring some rum and mixer with you - get the breakfast and dinner plan - bring some beach snacks... you'll save yourself hundreds of dollars.

The superior rooms are great. We had a view of both the pitons and the ocean. Sunrises were beautiful, and sunsets were equally great. The rooms do get hot during the day, but you won't be in there much during the day anyway. With a fan and open doors, the evenings are very, very comfortable (at least in November). The rooms are comfortable and clean, but they definitely could use a facelift.

The restaurants are quite good. The standard breakfast is more than adequate. They have an omelette/pancake station, various hot selections, and the standard array of pastries. We never really ate lunch, so I can't say how that is - I have no doubt that it's great. Dinners are great too. We never had a dinner we didn't enjoy.

Anse Chastanet beach is beautiful and well maintained. The service is prompt, polite, and fast. The water is warm, calm, and great for swimming. Note, however, that on days when cruise ships are in port (most every day), the beach is BUSY. There are A LOT of boats coming and going, between water taxis, Sandals shuttling down snorkelers, cruise shippers sightseeing, etc. The big issue with this is that the marine preserve is on the same side of the beach as the dock. So, it can be quite dangerous trying to get from the beach to the snorkeling area, as you try to swim the 20 yards without getting run over by the countless boats. Once you're over there, the snorkeling is quite good. Not great, but quite good.

The sailing excursion is wonderful. We did a half day, and we headed out toward St. Vincent for a while, under wind power. They have rum punch, snacks, and cold pitons for you. We snorkeled at the base of Gros Piton, which was very, very fun.

Anse mamin is a very easy walk around the corner or a free water taxi. It's absolutely fabulous. Calm, beautiful, and everything you think of when you think of the caribbean. Go there. Behind the beach are the plantation ruins, which are great to explore. There is a very cute and friendly kitten who lives back there who will be your best friend. The Tinker Trail is a great hike. It's about 30 minutes up, and very steep. The view from the bell is absolutely amazing. This is a must-do.

Make certain that you walk up to Jade Mountain while you're there. The views of the pitons from up there are beyond description.

All in all, I highly recommend Anse Chastanet. Not cheap, but it's worth it.

Room Tip: Superior rooms are great. Good views, and great sleep.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EastCoastAdonis
Hartsville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

My husband and I spent 7 nights at Anse Chastanet in mid-November and had an amazing time! We were upgraded to a Premium Hillside room and had a wonderful view of the Pitons to the left and the bay and sunset to the right. It was certainly a trek up to the room from the beach, but it meant we were able to burn off some of the banana daiquiris! Anse Chastanet is certainly for "rustic luxury" than its sister resort, Jade Mountain (which we toured), but it was a better fit for us since we were at the beach, diving, snorkeling, biking, etc. the whole time. The food was also great (especially Aspara) and having an all-inclusive plan was by far the best way to go. We would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christina B
Uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I was hesitant about going to Anse Chastanet having read nearly every review and being worried with what negatives others had pointed out, however I think these people with the negative reviews are either deluded or they are just the type of people to have to find something to complain about. However I had nothing to worry about the whole feel of the hotel the people the location everything was perfect.

We had a honeymoon package with our tour operator but on arrival the staff had upgraded our room which was a lovely touch to our stay as the room was magnificent I was blown away with the view, the art work is amazing and really made the room and the hotel unique.

We loved the welcome orientation that was organised it was more like a get to know each other meeting which was nice because we have now made friends with some lovely people and will continue to stay in touch.

The hotel has an area where you can book excursions. One place we wanted to go to wasn't on the list so we asked about doing it and the hotel made it happen with a phone call and I thought that was so nice that they helped us to do all of what we wanted to do.

The beach is gorgeous and the sea life incredible. We took a guided trip just by the Pitons to snorkel which was amazing though even right off the beach at Anse Chastanet there is plenty to see. I even loved watching the little crabs on the shore.

The wildlife is wonderful it is like living in the rainforest the sound of the tree frogs and the birds was incredible to hear.

The staff were all amazing and friendly they all went out of there way to help and make sure our stay was perfect. Nothing was to much trouble and we felt very spoilt.

I wanted to just give my view on the people with the negatives and clear up any concerns that others may have because of what these other reviews say about wifi, steps, the road to the hotel, the birds at breakfast, no air con etc that HELLO you know when you book that you are booking a hotel that is supposed to be about relaxing it is in the hills it is all open and natural
as it can be!

Firstly why do you want wifi when on holiday the point is to relax and not have the phone to your head all day.

Secondly the steps really aren't that bad it's good for the lungs and it is just lazy if your gonna complain about it. The hotel offer a shuttle which people can use to get up and down so no need to complain about the steps.

Thirdly, the road to the hotel it's bumpy yes, but I found driving down from the Alps worse than driving to and from Anse Chastanet. The drivers are perfectly safe and I never once felt worried. The road is bumpy for a reason.

Next no air con, well you know when you book what facilities there are so to complain about this is beyond me. Anyway if you want air con the beach rooms have this. Though the fans in the hillside rooms are fine and we had an extra fan we used for a couple nights but air con wasn't needed. You get the wind coming through the room and it's plenty cool enough but don't book if you don't like no air con it's simple really.

Oh and lastly the birds at breakfast, how can anyone complain about this?! You are sat in a tree house in there natural environment. Someone put on here about getting a cat! Seriously really? It's as if people don't understand they are staying in an open environment you are supposed to enjoy the wildlife the birds sitting on the chairs it made me smile every morning I couldn't wait to go see the birds. It made it unique and made me feel how close to nature I was. I loved seeing them in our room and the lizards it was fascinating.

I would recommend this hotel and I can't wait to go back it truly was a magical honeymoon and I loved every moment I was there.

• Stayed November 2013
7 Thank Redbootz1
cincinnati
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

We just returned from our third diving trip at Anse Chastenet and again thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The service is wonderful and the property is unique. You should be aware, however, that this is not a cookie cutter property. There are over a hundred fairly steep steps form the beach to the main areas. . . and most rooms are not air conditioned. But the property is truly unique with stunning views, a nice beach, and generally great food. Be sure you buy a meal plan though, because a la carte food prices are high.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank alfiekit
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Hotel was recommended by parents but in all my years of holidaying in this part of the world and having stayed in St Lucia before, I have never felt so well looked after. There are places where you just feel like the helpfulness has been drummed into the staff but it is different here, real customer care cannot be trained into people they have to be bothered to begin with and they really do at Anse Chastanet.

The room although quite basic had no AC but that did not affect our stay and the views of the Pitons from our hillside room were magnificent (Room 4C) do not go for a beach side room the hillside is where you want to be.

We had been told the food was great and breakfast catered for our every whim, lazy lunches on the beach under our thatched brolly or the awesome "Jungle Burger" at the next beach along, but dinner at any of the restaurants were fabulous, in particular, the "Tree House" where each evening produced an entirely new menu (2 week stay) beautifully presented fare.

Diving facilities were excellent and the range of dive sites extensive, leave the planning to Natasha she will sort everything. Due to travel dates I believed that I would be unable to undertake the famous "Superman's Flight" dive.....No problem we will move the day of the dive for you! and this is what I meant at the start for so many hotel staff around the world it is easier to say no, here it is YES we are here for you.

Room Tip: 4C Hillside rooms better than Beach
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank motley2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

We just come back from a relaxing holiday from St Lucia. We were really pleased that we have chosen Soufriere area and this hotel as this location from our perspective is perfect for first timer in St Lucia. We can see the famous Pitons from this boutique hotel (only 49 rooms)and there are lots of interesting things to do around the area. Sunset can be view from the beach and is often glorious when the weather is not cloudy or rainy!!! Abo who works in the beach area is great. He will make every effort to ensure your stay on the beach huts are comfortable.

Our check in and out was smooth. Michele at the reception has make it very pleasant and seamless. She is always smiley and professional!!!

We have chosen a room with air condition as the humidity in St Lucia is really high and hot. Our room was beautiful with a balcony and is closed to the beach where we can easily go for a swim and snorkel. If you enjoy snorkeling this is a great place to be in as the reef is close by but not in great condition!!! You can see some of the corals are dying.!!! However you can still see some fan coral, different coloured fish, Beware of jelly fish!!!

One great thing of this hotel is that in your room there is no TV, radio or phone. You can really chill and have a fantastic break from all the hustle and bustle of daily life. There are free yoga classes, walking tours. We went on the Soufriere walking tour and the Anse Mamin Plantation tour and both tours were wonderful and full of useful information. We even managed to see some bats!!! Tyson you are a star!!!

The hotel also offer some sight seeing tours. This I have mixed feelings!!! There was one tour that we went on, it was ghastly. The tour guide and driver were so unprofessional and at times dangerous that we have to complaint on our return. Although we did get the whole issue resolved finally but we have to push for it and enquire about this every other day. This is terribly disappointing, considering what Anse Chastanet target market is. At times we feel like ping pong ball being in between Peter Jean Paul and the lady who sell us this tour. However the sunset cruise was great. Karwin has make it special for us. We were pleasantly surprised that Karwin actually remembered our names a few days later. He actually says a warm goodbye to us and it is this type of people that makes the holiday and hotel special. We need more of those Anse Chastanet!!! Karwin thks very much!!! You need to be here when we next come back.

The food in the hotel was wonderful. We particularly like Aspara and the Beach Grill. The food there is amazing. The old treetop restaurant, as there is no fan or air condition, it is just too hot and humid for us to enjoy our dinner. Breakfast is ok, nothing to wow about. Hot food is limited and is quite boring. Birds are a nuisance as they will eat anything if you do not cover your drinks, plates or used knives and forks, We found the waitresses in breakfast time particularly grumpy i.e. not smiley at all. When you leave the breakfast room they do not say "Goodbye" unless by chance the general manager is eating there and you can hear them saying this. You can see a noticeable different level of service. In the evening when we eat at the beach area, during the service, the waitresses just talk amoung themselves. This really destroy the ambience of the place.

The spa in this hotel are wonderful. I have 2 treatments one facial and one deep tissue massage. Both are excellent. I have my best sleep after my deep tissue massage.

Another thing beware (which we think is really not that great): This hotel via Peach on Earth does offer a scheduled Water Taxi to go from the hotel to Soufriere (otherwise you can walk down but it will take about 30mins and at times the road is quite slippery) from Monday to Saturday for a small fee. The day when we want it, it is not available. This is a concept that we cannot understand. As this is a scheduled service and there is no alternative for the inconvenience. The explanation given was: one boat is out of service and the other has to pick up a passenger from Marigot Bay!!!

If you have the opportunity do go up to Jade Mountain. The view there is amazing. Even if this is raining it is worth it. As the scenary changed so quickly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EastmeetsWestAB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Anse Chastanet? Share your experiences!