“Beautiful little resort”

GreenLeadersGold level
CT
“Beautiful little resort”
Reviewed 21 March 2009

My husband and I just returned from our twenty-fifth wedding anniversary trip from Anse Chastanet and overall could not have been happier. I had spent countless hours checking out this site for reviews and I thank all of you who posted and helped me make my decision.
We arrived late on American Airlines due to being diverted for a medical emergency on board. Therefore, our luggage never made it (It took 2 days plus to get it). However, upon checking in at the resort, they were very concerned and promised us they would keep in contact with the airport and get our luggage ASAP. They gave us t- shirts to sleep in. The airline gave us tooth paste etc. Thankfully, I packed our bathing suits and clothes appropriate for dinner in our carry-on!!! We did have to buy sunscreen at the boutique for $21 US (ouch) but no choice there, you must have it on.
We were taken up to our room (12B) after a lovely check-in. We had a deluxe hillside room with a water view. I was somewhat disappointed on not being able to see the pitons. Actually, the only “public” spot that we found at the resort with a view of the pitons was the main bar and the Emerald restaurant directly above it. Otherwise just those in a room with a piton/ocean view could enjoy them. If we ever get to go back, I will request a piton view! Our room was pretty and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was large with double sinks and a huge shower, but I felt that the tile on the floor could have used a good scrubbing. We had no hair dryer in the bathroom, so the next day I asked for one. It was delivered promptly; however, there was no place to plug it in. I mentioned it the next day to one of the manager’s who asked how my room was and by the time we got back to our room after the day at the beach, an electrician had installed a mounted dryer in the bathroom! (Couldn’t understand why there wasn’t one there to begin with)
The food was very good, especially dinners. There are several restaurant choices. Lunches got a little old, the menu never changed. The food was good though. The wait staff was very good and could not have been nicer. We had the “Total Romance” package which was all-inclusive. It was worth every penny! Food is pricey, not unlike any other hotel. A hamburger at the beach bar was $16 US add French fries for $5 US. A glass of house chardonnay was $7 US. Dinner was generally $160 for two (3 courses and a couple glasses of wine each). You get my point; it was nice not worrying about how much we spent on food and drink.
The activities were wonderful! Again, they were included in our “Total Romance” package. We went scuba diving, on a guided snorkel trip at the base of the pitons, jungle biking and a sail on Serenity with Captain Erwin (loved this!). All of the staff was exceptional!
The beach was beautiful but smaller than I expected. The staff taking care of you there was wonderful.
The nightly entertainment in the main bar was fun to watch. The wait staff there added to the entertainment by dancing and occasionally trying to get shy patrons up and dancing too! The bands usually ended by 10:30. This isn't a resort with a lot of nightlife. It's quiet.
Overall, our stay was everything I had hoped for. If you don’t want to stay at a resort that feels like you are on a cruise ship, this is the place for you. Beautifully unique!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank TrishCT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
North Carolina
Reviewed 15 March 2009

Anse Chastanet, (pronounced: "On-sha-sta-nay"), is a beautiful and unique small resort at the southwestern side of St. Lucia, near the town of Soufriere, (most often pronounced: "Sue-fray"). Contrary to all the reports about the bone-jarring road leading up to the resort, my wife and I thought the road wasn't nearly as bad as we heard. It is asphalt patch-work and rocks, but the taxis go slow and it is not a factor.

Like all the resorts in the south end of the island, Anse Chastanet is near the many natural wonders of the St. Lucia, including The Pitons, (pronounced: "pea-tawns"), the volcano, Diamond Falls, and many botanical gardens). For those who desire romantic isolation, adventure, and natural beauty, we recommend Anse Chasanet, Jade Mountain Resort and Ladera Resort. You can't go wrong with any of these three romantic boutique resorts. Of the three, Anse Chasanet is the only one on the beach where you can lie in bed and listen to the waves on the beach. But be aware that all three resorts are an hour and a half or so way away from the shopping and the many restaurants at the north end of St. Lucia near Casteries, Rodney Bay, and Gros Inlet.

Anse Chastanet is located on and above a pictuesque private beach with a second even more beautiful beach just to the north, but on the same 600 acre estate. The rooms are lovely and extremely comfortable with one or two open walls facing the amazing view. Despite the open air room, we never saw a bug of any kind and were not bothered by the occasional bird looking for a hand-out. The rooms are very private and are so nice, you are reluctant to leave them and venture outside! The staff is wonderful and the food at the three on-site restaurants was very good. Our only complaint is there are no bath tubs or whirlpool baths in any of the rooms - only showers.

Be aware that there is a steep climb up several flights of stone steps from the beach to two of the three restaurants and guest rooms on the hillside - although some rooms and one restarant are on the beach. There is a shuttle available if you do not wish to climb the steps.

Anse Chastanet offers a number of activities similar to what you would expect from most beach resorts, but also includes a boat trip to nearby Soufriere or a day trip by boat to Casteries for a shopping. Another unique activity we enjoyed at Anse Chastanet was Jungle Biking through the ruins of a 200+ year old sugar and cocoa plantaion within the same 600 acre estate. Our guide, Tyson, was personable, knowledgeable, and considerate. There are trails for every experience level.

As was recommended by a fellow Trip Advisor member, we splurged and spent one night at the incredible Jade Mountain Resort adjoining Anse Chastanet to celebrate my wife's birthday. Although it was 3 times the price, the photos and memories will last a life-time! We highly recommend at least one night's stay at Jade Mountain.

We plan to return again to St. Lucia next year and we plan to spend 3 days in the south, 2 days in the north, and then take some day trips by air or ferry to some of the other nearby islands of St. Vincent, Martinique, Dominca or The Grenadines. There is much to see in and around this island paradise!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank saved_by_His_grace
Burlington, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 March 2009

We had a fantastic time at Anse Chastanet on our Honeymoon. This is a fantastic (St. Lucia in general as well) place to go if you want an active vacation. If you want to just sit on the beach, there are other places to go that will cost you much less. In one week we were able to Scuba Dive, Snorkel, Mountain Bike, visit the Sulfur Springs, climb the Pitons (not easy!), take a boat trip to Soufiere and Castries, sunset cruise on the sailboat, hike in the rain forest, take a day trip to the Grenadines and much more.

Three things I would advise another traveler: 1.) If you are getting a great room at Anse or Jade and have flexible travel dates, go when there is a full moon. We were in 7A and could see the outline of the Pitons at night for most of our visit. It was amazing. 2.) If you have the means ($390/person) I would highly recommend the day trip to the Grenadines. The brochure doesn't do it justice. The boat and captain were great, the water is the clearest, the islands are mostly untouched, and Tabago Kay and swimming with sea turtles was one of the highlights of our trip. 3.) If you haven't stayed at Ladera or don't plan on it, go to dinner at Dashenee there one night. Make sure you get there for sunset. The food and view are unbelievable.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank BadgerConn
Michigan
Reviewed 23 February 2009

We had a wonderful time at Anse Chastanet! The staff could not have been more friendly, helpful and accomodating. The room was beautiful and comfortable, although one night when it was very hot and humid, I had trouble sleeping. Travelocity, whom I
booked through, had stated we would have a meal plan included in our rate - and I booked a Deluxe Beachfront Room. Upon arrival, the room I had paid for was not
available, and we didn't have the meal plan included in the rate. As compensation for
the room mix-up, the manager gave us the meal plan, which probably saved us the
$160 per day in food charges for 2 meals, and 2 one hour massages.

The setting of the resort is indescribably beautiful. The only complaint we had was that there were 102 stairs from the beach to the hotel lobby and another 102 steps up to our
room - and we could have taken the shuttle, but decided it was good exercise for us, especially given that we couldn't resist the wonderful meals and desserts that we found at the restaurants. We enjoyed watching the hummingbirds feeding as we sat on our porch - and loved the beautiful little birds that hung out with us, waiting for food. What a treat when one of them flew into room, nabbed a macadamia nut that I had been saving to ration out to them on our porch - and then flew out of the room, with a little convincing from my husband.

Overall - I find myself still mentally replaying the experience of our visit - with fond and euphoric memories of the entire stay. I look forward to our next visit to Anse Chastanet,
and will get the meal plan, for sure.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Adventuresnfun
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2009

My wife and I love the Caribbean and opted for Anse Chastanet because it looked great on their website and it offered a reasonably priced all inclusive package, nice beaches, scuba diving and the option to upgrade (at great expense!) to Jade Mountain for the last couple of days of our holiday.
Our expectation was high, having looked at the website and read lots of reviews, but Anse Chastanet exceeded all of our expectations, the staff were tremendous (particularly Meno and Victor), the mountain side room was brilliant, large, no tv, no ac (not required due to beautiful cooling breeze), the food awesome - everything.
We met a couple who were visiting for the 8th consecutive year, a bit extreme with all of the world to choose from, but you get the picture.
We scuba dived, mountain biked, hiked with Meno, made great use of Anse Mamon which is a little used sister beach a short (free) boat trip from the main beach. The first time we went to Anse Mamon we were the only guests there, with 4 staff cooking and serving cold beer to us as we paddled in the beautiful Caribbean!
They told us that around 60% of guests are honeymooners and that they have a returning guest rate of around 30%, they must be doing something right!

Jade Mountain is something else again, you have to see it to believe it!
The rooms (known as Sanctuaries) are stupendous, each one is different and, instead of a wall at one end of the room, you have a completely open side with the most incredible view of the Pitons.
We had a 30 metre infinity pool IN our room plus a whirlpool, a huge king sized bed and a huge bathroom. You also get your own personal butler on call 24/7. Some things are worth treating yourself to!

We thought Peter Island was fantastic when we went there on our honeymoon, but I think Anse/Jade is even better.

Having said all of that, if we did return, we would probably spend the whole holiday at Anse as the £500 per night upgrade would go a long way towards another holiday!

A plea for help, if anyone goes to Anse/Jade after reading this review, could you email me some photos as we lost all of ours - long story!

• Liked — The great staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank millmattuk
South Jersey
Reviewed 2 February 2009

My wife and I just returned from a week in St. Lucia. We spent 4 nights at Anse Chastanet and 3 at the Sandals Grande. Anse Chastanet is an amanzing resort that I can highly recommend.

From check-in to check-out, everything was perfect. This resort is for anyone that is looking to get away and just RELAX. As many have said, there are no TV's, phone's, clocks, or AC in the rooms, but we didn't miss any of it. We just enjoyed chilling out on the beach and relaxing on the patio off our room.

The beach is quiet and secluded, but with many available activities like snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking, mountain biking, yoga, etc. You do as much or as little as you want.

The food exceeded our expectations by far. Very fresh and delicious (and we are tough to please in this department).

The thing that makes the resort exceed any I've been to is the staff. They are always there to assist and pamper and truely care if you have a good time. They were all very friendly and helpful. Very nice people, as are most of the St. Lucians.

We also had cocktails and dinner at Jade Mountain one night and it was the most incredible resort I have ever seen. If you can afford it, stay there. You won't want to leave.

Anse Chastanet is built on the side of a mountain so be aware that there can be a significant hike to your room if it is on the mountain. We are in good shape and actually enjoyed the exercise after eating (and drinking) so much.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank SouthJersey123
canada
Reviewed 1 February 2009

myself and my wife has just returned from anse chastanet hotel. well all, i can say is absolutely stunning.we were welcome by anse chastanet staff at airport and we were given warm welcome by the resident manager when we reached at the hotel.
we were staying at hillside deluxe room which has a stunning view.
the best part of the hotel is its natural beauty.there is no AC,no TV in the room but you can be rest assured that everything is no beautifull and in a natural way.excellent effort by the owners.
ALL the staff are very nice including front office,meno, socialdesk,
resident manager,andrew(food and beverage manager).all of them were very helpful.although the hotel was full,everyone was treated well and in a nice way.
beach is wonderfull and the tours are also very nice.
FOOD is also very nice.they have different venues to choose from.all of them are wonderfull.chef jon is great and has done a excellent job.compliments to him.what make the food good is the excellent service which we recieve.good job done by waiting staff.Beach side restaurant ,Apsara was tremondeous. its a indian and caribbean fusion restaurant.the goodpart is that hostess briefs everyone about the restaurant and its history.we were given a tour of tandoor in which the food is cooked.simply delicious.chef summit(indian chef) has done a excellent job. very informative and innovative, even prepared something special for us when we asked for.compliments to him.beach waitress are excellent too and hostess as well.not to forget bronny,calixta.thanks again.
we find this resort like aparadise.thanks to everyone.we will definately return.

Stayed December 2008
3 Thank garry30
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Anse Chastanet? Share your experiences!