“Paradise Found”

GreenLeadersGold level
Rochester, New York
“Paradise Found”
Reviewed 7 October 2005

I have had the good fortune to travel extensively to exotic and luxurious locales. None, I repeat, none compare to Anse Chastanet.

I studied up on Anse Chastanet, before choosing it. So, I knew there were items of concern. However, I must tell you, staying at Anse Chastanet was the best travel experience I've ever had. The dreaded road to the resort was bumpy, but bearable. The lack of A/C was trying at times, but part of the allure. The multitude of stairs is tough, but invigorating. The lack of TVs, Phones and Computers, well that was the icing on the cake.

Anse Chastanet is Eden. It's set in the side of a lush jungle slope, with spectacular views of the Ocean and the Pitons. Serenity and romance are discovered around each corner. Adventure and relaxation intermingle to form the most perfect union.

The facilities and locations are absolutely outstanding. However, the thing that makes Anse Chastanet such a special place is the service. The staff is unobtrusive, but always there. They have the uncanny ability to know you by name, and find you wherever you are at a moment's notice. They cater to your every need. And they genuinely seem to love their job.

If you are considering a visit to Anse Chastanet - DO IT! You will never forget it. It truly is paradise found.

18 Thank McCabesTravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Hampshire
Reviewed 28 September 2005

We stayed for 3 days at the Anse Chastenet after 9 days in Rodney Bay. We should have stayed longer as we had just about got used to the totally different atmosphere of sleeping in the jungle without a/c but with the jungle creatures for company,when it was time to go.

The humidity when we first arrived was pretty unbearable and the breezes which we expected to flow up the hillside weren't around. As one of the previous reviews says, if you are a female, forget about trying to keep your hair nice as the humidity will wipe it out. Things got better when we became a bit acclimatised and after a top rate thunderstorm cleared the air.

Having said this, the heat/humidity in our room was about the only negative. Food, service, ambiance, the beach, the snorkelling, all were excellent. Other guests were friendly which was another reason to stay longer as we were just getting to know people when it was time to go. The spa facilities were great and my wife had the most amazing massage she has ever had.

Maybe another minor complaint (or something to be aware of), is that everything is VERY expensive -- bottled water, drinks, you name it and it's expensive especially with the 18% tax and service added to the prices shown on the price list.

Would we go back? Definitely (when we've remortgaged the house to pay for a 2 week stay). We would also ask for a room with screens on the windows -- ours (12C) had only wooden louvres.

14 Thank SouthernBrit
Reviewed 22 September 2005

Want to get away? Want to be in a tropical, secluded locale? Do you want to worry about nothing and relax in quiet, beautiful surroundings? Do you want to avoid loud music, rude people, and city life altogether? Do you want to enjoy the simple (yet exotic) life in peaceful surroundings on a Carribean Island? If you answered yes to all then this could probably be your ideal destination.

I stayed at Anse Chastanet from Sept 11th thru the 14th and stayed in Cloud 9A as part of my 1st Anniversary celebration vacation. It was my first destination in St Lucia. Read on for my second destination.

First Impressions: the road was bumpy. All I can say is that my journey to the resort was a great experience. Beautiful, tropical, backcountry and 10 minutes of bumps. Bad road: maybe for some if you like to complain about everything. Don't listen to all the complaining about the road. This trip was a breeze compared to all the construction that is being done on my local roads. Your trip from the airport may be windy and they do drive on the opposite side of the road but just chill for what awaits you. Relax and enjoy the trip. Take a couple pictures and laugh a little.

Second Impression: You will arrive hot and uneasy about your choice. Was it the right one? That will pass. The resort is on the side of a very tropical hill and you arrive somewhere in the middle where you will find some very friendly porters and be taken to reception. The porters will work their butt off taking bags up or down to your room depending on where you are staying. By the way, check in at any resort in your future will never be the same. You check in about 200' above and overlooking a beautiful beach and body of water. You will be hot and somewhat bothered but that will melt away as you sip on your welcome drink and cold towels are presented to you.

Third Impression: Am I really here..you will say to yourself. Where is my room? Ok, I can only tell you from where I was and my impression of the resort. I was all the way at the top of the resort. I had to walk about 5 minutes up a pretty steep hill to get to my villa. There are other rooms at beach level but I did not see them. Imagine being at a resort sitting on the beach and you never see a room? From my experience the upper room undoubtly have the best view. I had an amazing view of the Pitons from my room. By the way, it wasn't a room. It was pretty much a house. Full living room and dining room which opened up (I mean open) to a deck. There is no walls in this area kids. Open windows, open deck, open floor plan...you get the idea? Imagine sitting in your living room reading a book when suddenly the wall blows away to give you an amazing view of tropical volcanic mountains while allowing the sun and smell of exotic plants roll right in.

Fourth Impression: No AC? No TV? No need!! The rooms are a bit on the rustic side but I and my wife(who is picky) were very pleased. I was on the upper side of the hill which is supposed to have better breezes. I cannot comment on the beach level places. I slept very well without the mosquito net on all nights. I had birds and such in the place during the day but nothing at night but low lights (it was very dark in my villa..I think to keep the bugs from thinking about arriving) and romantic evenings in peace and quiet with my lady. I was apprehensive but she loved the place. She is a keep it freezing AC, TV on kinda girl. Not here.

Fifth Impression: Quiet settles in. Relaxation settles in.

Sixth Impression: There is really nowhere to go on this side of the Island for food. Soufrie is close by but I don't think there is a reason to go there to eat. The food at the resort is very good. I suggest a meal plan.

No more impressions at this point. You will lose all structure while you are here. Scuba is a must if you are here. That was my reason for coming. The staff is great. There were all friendly and seemed genuine. I have been diving before with the staff that has the fake feel. If you have been there then you know what I mean. The dive sites are literally right off the beach! The reef is very alive and you will see alot of sponges and reef fish. You will not see any large species such as sharks or rays though. I did 8 dives in St Lucia and saw nothing larger than a good size turtle. There is a great amount of life on the reef though and I wouldn't miss it. If you want to get certified you only have to walk 30 steps from you beach hut and take your class.

All in all you get the jist of the place I hope. Last year I was at the Four Seasons in Maui for 7 days. Different..hell yes. Better? No. I really enjoyed both.

There was a downside though. They are building an addition to the resort. They will be high end rooms with their own private pools on the highest portion of the hill with great views. Unfortunately they were building it right outside my room. I know they have to work to improve their resort but I don't want it on my time. We climbed back to our room one day to the sound of hammering and talking of the workers. They were hanging out on the deck of their newly constrcted villa looking right onto what I thought was a private deck. The wife was not happy to say the least. Supposedly, I should have been notifed by my travel agency that the work was being performed. I nor the travel agency had any idea what was happening. Fortunately for everybody else, you could not hear anything until you got right upto my villa. The jungle masks the sound a great deall and I don't think many even heard but it was right next to me. P---- off I was but the manager, Beata, calmed my New York attitude down and we worked it out.

All in all it was a good stay. If I had know about the construction I would have stayed down the hill a bit. By the time you go it will probably be done so no worries but make sure you ask how far your room is from the site if you plan on going soon. Don't make my mistake. When I stayed at the Four Seasons they immediately told me about it before we even booked the dates. They were doing some very minor work by one of the pools. I didn't even hear a thing sitting by the pool. I wish that was the case here. It didn't tarnish my opinion of the place. It is great for the right people. If you want a romantic getaway or to just goto a tropical off the beaten path kinda place, then go. If you like to complain about the warm weather, or the walk to your room, then goto a Marriot somwhere and sit in your room all day. The diving by Scuba St Lucia was great and right on the resort. I could leave the beach and go on a dive an be back in 1 hour. You can also dive right off the beach. The reef 50' off the beach is impressive.

Respect to a couple people there: My waitress Juliette was the sweetest lady you could ever meet. My wife comented many time on how nice she was. She was very friendly and always had a nice smile. The tall skinny porter was on my list too. Couldn't understand him all that much but I really did get a laugh from him. The scuba staff is excellent. I remember the name of the older gentlement Vincent, but they were all very fun to be around and did give some good tours of the reef.

Email me if you want anything further. I did the remainder of my stay in Sandals Grande on the north side of the Island. Totally different. No comparison between the two resorts. I wll post on Sandals also.

Enjoy your trip

30 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 September 2005

I can only reiterate the positive comments that all the other reviewers have posted earlier. Anse Chastanet is the place to go if you are looking to get away from the hectic pace of everyday living. The staff could not be more accomodating or pleasant...they were constantly working hard to ensure our stay was enjoyable...we felt totally pampered.

On the plus side...the food is outstanding, lots of healthy choices (the fruit is incredible) and the dinners were superb. Several kinds of fish, fowl and vegetarian choices...and the desserts...yum! The beaches and water were great...the cabanas are feet from the shore and make for great sun shelters to protect from the tropical sun. There's lots to do...but mostly we just relaxed, read, swam, ate and took in the tropic breezes.

We stayed in room 7A, one of the hillside deluxe rooms. Largest resort room I've ever seen. Outstanding view of the Piton mountains as well as the setting sun (although we spent nearly every sunset swimming). Nice touches like robes, very nice toiletries, and a stocked refridgerator made us feel at home immediately. They provide a safe in your room for your valuables, so you don't ever have to worry about them. Didn't have a problem with insects, except for the very occasional moquito as we were walking to dinner...nothing to get worked up about.

If there's a down side, yes, the road to get to the resort is bumpy...but you should see some of the potholes we have to deal with in Boston. It was hot and humid for the first few days...I guess that's what summer is like in the Caribbean...you get used to it, especially if you take it easy.

Castries was a bit of a disappointment, only because the contrast between the peace and quiet of Anse Chastanet and the jarring "urban" environment of Castries is so stark. That's the only place we got hasseled by street vendors, but I have to admit the duty free shopping in that city made the trip worth it...I'd do it again if I returned.

I'll close by saying that all of the staff, but in particular the management staff of Monica and Peter, provided the best service we've ever experienced in our travels. We'd return in a minute with no hesitations.

19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 13 September 2005

My husband and I just returned a few days ago. All in all, I'll agree with all these comments, especially the one that says if you "get it" you'll find it to be the most romantic place ever visited in your life. Our room was Cloud 9 (named appropriately). We were a premium hillside room and to be honest when the door opened I first noticed the amazing view and second the rundown condition of the room. A fancy tree house with nice furnishings. It was HOT and HUMID, which seemed unbearable as you ready for dinner in the evening. Never mind blowdrying your hair.... As the week goes on, you lighten up and begin to laugh at these things and enjoy each other rather than the fancy surroundings and luxuries we are so used to in "our worlds". My husband and I came here sick and stressed out and left more in love than years before and calm. In fact on the plane I put headphones on to listen to the news and ripped them off because they were too loud. It is a very quiet place, no music at the beach, no loud talking, etc. You simply RELAX and listen to the ocean. As they say in the Bible "BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD." This is the place to BE STILL! If you're looking for an "experience" and not luxury and room service with a smile (which you will get by the way), GO and you will be glad that you did. We plan to return. We'll just know to ask for 2 fans before going to our room.

17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 August 2005

We are from Austria and in our 30s. We are not related to the hotel owners in any way. We spent 2 weeks at Anse Chastanet, from 31/7 to 14/8, and enjoyed every minute. The staff are very attentive and service-oriented. They do not expect to be tipped and are friendly virtually all the time. The food is great, be it on the beach (buffet dinner) or upstairs at the Treehouse restaurant (excellent 4-course menus with good choice). This is a small and intimate hotel, so you will probably make friends in a very short period of time, because you will see the same people every day.

The water is very clear (much better than up in the north of the island),
and the reef just off the beach really has an impressive range of fish - good for snorkelling. You do not need A/C because there is a constant breeze. We made several trips to the surrounding area, and we do recommend the Anse Mamin plantation tour (Meno is a great guide). We also climbed the Gros Piton (the tour starts at 6:30 a.m.), which was quite strenuous but very rewarding. You should be a good climber or at least in good shape to attempt this (the heat makes the steep climb it quite tough). Also, we can warmly recommend the sunset cruise with captain Kerwin - very good!

Our wedding took place on the beach on August 5. We chose the more secluded Anse Mamin beach for our ceremony, which is available for a surcharge. Our wedding coordinator was Peter, the assistant manager, and he was very interested in getting everything right - down to the bouquet and flavour of the cake. From the very first contact with the hotel to the wedding and after - everything was very well organised. On the evening of our wedding we had our own private candlelight dinner on the beach, with our own waiter who carried everything to the far end of the beach (very romantic!). Even the sealed and legalised wedding certificate - which is of course necessary for European authorities to confirm the wedding - arrived in good time and was issued correctly.

All in all, we warmly recommend the Anse Chastanet to everyone who wants to relax and get pampered. There is not much to do after 10pm, so people who look for action and nightclubs would not come here. You can email me if you plan to get married on the island.

• Stayed July 2005
19 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pensacola, Fl
Reviewed 24 August 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at Anse Chastanet from 16-23 August 2005. We had a magnificent time. The room view, food, scuba diving, hiking, and service were all excellent. An ideal vacation to get away from it all.

I would say that the only downside was no air conditioning, which took a few nights to get used to. Once we got rid of the mosquito netting (which blocked the fan), we slept much more comfortably. We sprayed down with bug spray at night, which prevented most of the bites even without the netting (I still managed to get a line of bites on my forearm, but otherwise came away unscathed).

As many have mentioned. You will have to hike up the mountain to get to your room from the beach, but the view and ambience are well worth it. If you like to be surronded by nature, with few reminders of the outside world, of cell phones and internet and tv, this is the place for you.

I highly recommend it!

• Stayed August 2005
8 Thank Jessi G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Anse Chastanet? Share your experiences!