“Great views, fod and staff”

Hummingbird Beach Resort
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Kosice, Slovakia
“Great views, fod and staff”
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We just returned from our holiday in Carribean Islands and we found the Hummingbird Resort the best from all hotels we visited /7 together/during our trip.We liked the friendly welcome at reception, with very helpful and carrying staff,who almost tried to read your thoughts to fulfill your wishes.They showed us at least 3 rooms to choose from/each was clean,some with fridge or kettler/ and we chose one at ground floor with terace with Piton view /beautiful views from all the resort/ and direct access to the garden what loved especially our children.The beach is so close,that you can hear the sea in your room.The beach itself is great to relax for few days,with some locals/children made quickly some friends/ and with water taxi to bring you to nearby resort beaches.The food is really worth to come for a lunch or dinner, even if you are not staying at hotel. We loved all fish dishes we tried for dinner and enjoyed the fruits and fresh juices for breakfast /and omellets and pancakes../.We would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dana X
HummingbirdSt_Lucia, Manager at Hummingbird Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 June 2013
I wish to express to express the highest level of gratitude to you on behalf of the entire team at The Hummingbird Beach Resort. It is always pleasing to receive such positive feedback implying that our guests were totally satisfied with their stay. Our staff members are very knowledgeable and always eager to maintain a reputable standard of hospitality. We are glad that you were able to unwind on the beach and use the local water taxi to explore the neighboring beaches whilst making some friends in the process. Our local cuisine is uniquely prepared to savor your palate and we take great pride in knowing that you enjoyed all your meals. We are frantic that you are willing to return to the Hummingbird Beach Resort and we look forward to serving you again.

Warmest Regards,
Joan Alexander Stowe MBE
Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 22 May 2013

When one visit this Resort there left breathless cause of the amazing view that no luxury resort in the north like sandals can only dream of having. I was giving a reminder to comment about my stay.The resort is a beach front property where locals access a lovely volcanic sand beach. Myself and my husband stayed in a Superior Room which has a balcony which over looks the Ocean and the Petite Piton, the room looks like it was recently renovated with lovely floor tiles and beautiful bedding, never have a seen a Caribbean hotel with such a large small refrigerator that can keep you items chilled. The staff at the resort are friendly and very helpful. I was always asked how i was doing during my stay which made my feel cared for. The foods also is amazing i highly recommend you choose the Fish Creole. My room were cleaned daily with fresh towels every day. All i could say is i had a wonderful vacation here at the Hummingbird.

1 Thank paulaforever1980
South Portland, Maine
Reviewed 27 April 2013

My husband and I just returned from 10 days in St. Lucia. Two of our nights were spent at the Hummingbird Resort. Our room, a Superior Piton View Room, was wonderful. It had a great, comfortable bed and attractive furnishings. The room was clean, had lots of fresh flowers and a screened deck with incredible views of the Pitons. Our only room complaint is that the ceiling fan was not sufficient. Either a more powerful fan or AC would help (although I'm not a fan of AC). We loved the breakfasts which were included in our room cost and the bar/dining area is great. Drinks are pricey - 3X the cost of those in Rodney Bay. Our dinner was good, not great. We found people in Rodney Bay far more friendly, interested, and outgoing than those in Soufriere. It baffled us.
We were very disappointed in St Lucia and we have traveled to many islands. The Pitons are spectacular but beaches and waters are much prettier elsewhere. This we never expected! We rented a car and made a point to see most of the island. Litter is a huge problem...truly worse than in places like Barbados, parts Mexico, PR, Vieques, Bahamas, on and on. While snorkeling we saw as many plastic bags and bottles as fish. The large contained resorts are gorgeous but that is not the way we generally like to travel. We like small, local hotels and restaurants..We like to enter a town and experience local culture, authentic local food, dance, art... it doesn't come easy in St Lucia. It seems that most tourists stay within the confines of their hotel for the majority of their trip.

Room Tip: Stay in a room with a view! That is what makes this inn special.
1 Thank jjmjlm
Reviewed 26 April 2013

We knew we were in for a local feel, but were surprised at the poor cleaning of the rooms and general maintenance. The people were more freindly than most we met in St Lucia. We did like the food and the bar. Great view of the Pitons and fun hiking.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Harrison-the-hiker
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I felt compelled to post a comment to give balance to the last 2 very negative comments. I am the wife of Mark who posted Petit Piton… Grand Hospitality. We were at the Hummingbird at the same time as the couple who have just posted. I cannot comment on their room/noise levels etc., I can comment on… The beach outside the Hummingbird is a local (not private) sandy (not pebbles) beach for use by all. Why not savor the fact that the young men of town played football together (they only did it once in the 6 days we were there). The sea was clear and great to swim in. Prices of food and drinks were the same as we saw all over the island. Nothing is cheap. The food was glorious and part of the charm of the Caribbean is that it doesn't come quickly! All staff were friendly, helpful and curious to find out about us. Wi Fi reception was fine in the bar area. As for the gardens - where can you go wandering and be offered guavas, tamarinds and papaya picked fresh from the tree? Soufriere is a charming town. We never felt threatened and quite frequently wandered around the locality as a family of 4. We didn't want to leave! The Hummingbird proudly advertises what it delivers – if you are looking for 5 star, pristine luxury with everything included, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for charm, warmth, great food and facilities as well as the best view of the Petit Piton, then please choose Hummingbird!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Lisa P
HummingbirdSt_Lucia, General Manager at Hummingbird Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Hello Pettit family,

Thank you for Such a wonderful review about the Hummingbird Beach Resort, It was a pleasure accommodating you and your family here. We would also like to thank you for reassuring clients that the Hummingbird beach Resort is an ideal Resort for your St. Lucia vacation. We're a locally owned resort that which caters to couples and family and make it our duty to ensure that every client who visits the Hummingbird is satisfied. We encourage others to notify us of the improvement and work together to ensure that the recommendation are implemented.

We don't sell a luxury brand what we do offer is a true authentic St. Lucian style leaving with our famous French Creole Cuisine and an amazing view of the Piton and Ocean.

Once again I would like to thank you and your family for choosing the Hummingbird Beach resort as your home away from home. And it would be my utmost pleasure to welcome you back to the Hummingbird Beach Resort in the near future.

Warmest Regards
Joan A. Stowe
Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I never judge hotels on the forums, but this time I'll make an exception. Reading other (very good!) opinions I have doubts whether we were in the same hotel. I was there for 2 days and this is what I observed:

PROS:
- View
- the hotel car park has only 3 places but there have always been free space for my car :)
- A tiny diving station adjacent to the hotel grounds (but somehow not focused specifically on the guests of the hotel)
- Nicely decorated with flowers bed at the beginning (but person showing the room turned on the fan and destroyed somebody's structures in 2 seconds Acknowledging that stupid smirk)
- good TV package
- quasi garden at the bottom of the hotel, but not specifically well-kept
- Really hard to add something good about this place

Cons:
- Room next to the kitchen – if it was somehow muted - but not what for? You have to listen to the breaking pots and even vulgar story of the crew and their laughter. Apparently there was a mosquito net but it is too small, because the bottom of the foot was biten. Huge issue is that the room is not even a room isolated from the world, not to mention outside - hole in the hallway ceiling is of considerable size and makes me feel not very comfortable even behind closed doors, out of the cracks in the wall for a few mm (lots!). What I can write - the room looked like a hut - perhaps meant to be atmospheric, but I think it is catastrophe!
- Breakfast is outrageous - if someone calls it breakfast probably has something with the head, and normal breakfast is of course extra charged and it's unclear terms (half of the menu items do not have prices so you do not know what is included)
- pace of service is ridiculous – waiting 15-20minutes for juice? Another 15 minutes for tea or pancakes? There is nothing in the kitchen and they do shopping when you order??
- water in the pool was outrageously muddy - there was no feel at all chlorine so do not know if they use it ... also the size is - gently saying – without WOW
- not enough deckchairs - 1 family + 1 pair (6 people) take all of deck chairs. You can sit however by the table but who wants to spend that the whole day?
- No shower in the pool – I walked and tried to find one, but I was unsuccessful.. there are however PAID showers but were closed with rusty padlocks
- beach is far below expectations – it is pebble beach with [--] dogs. Moreover direct surroundings is a place for local communities which can be dangerous or not (they accost people like those guys in Egypt, it is hard to relax when someone all the times look at you or want to sell you anything), but it certainly does not make a friendly impression. I do not know if I was unlucky or it's always there, but in the late afternoon beach was crowded in 2/3 by a group of local people playing football (not a few persons but 22). One more thing - swimming there I came across a few snakes and floats at the bottom and some strange "heads" lurking in the sand - all at a depth such that you could be on foot there - I do not know whether the animals were vile / poisonous or not - but the fact is that on any beach in the region have not seen anything like that - I think that of such surprises hotel should inform
- in the evening I was asked to re-park my car to the side because the "supply" could not have come at the same side door and unload goods. I think they were just lazy and it would be much faster to unload things without asking me to re-park car by 2m - but maybe they have such southern pace of work? :]
- Wifi is supposed to be there, but the range is very weak and often interrupted - I doubt anyone there works on this because I knew the network was named "tplink" and was without a key ... So not only did not protect them from other signals, even they could not / did not want to change the network name to the name of the hotel - in such a system probably is not surprising to have problems with it. We were not informed of the network we use, so all in all I do not know if it was a hotel’s network.

6 Thank deltan20
Good day,
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at Hummingbird Beach resort.

It is my believe that you did not enjoy your stay here as you have express your views of the Resort as I have read all Pros and Cons. As we work hard to ensure clients satisfaction is at the highest standard here we are always open to recommendation however some of your cons is more towards you feeling rather than the Resort.

1. The beach is not a pebble beach as the beach is a volcanic sand beach and there are two other beaches clients can visit during they stay at the Hummingbird Beach resort.

2. You did mentioned that the sea has snakes and strange heads which I can not comment on but would like to inform you that clients has never reported nor mentioned any of the following mentioned here.Ii have contacted the SMMA to verify if there are aware of any of the following. .

3. The Resort has more than 3 car park space as there is a private car park adjacent to the Resort which comfortable accommodates 10- 12 cars.

4. We do offer pool chairs or beach chairs to all our clients at no cost as it would have been our utmost pleasure to get you a pool chair as you did mentioned there were all occurred.

5. The shower below can be used by all guest as the main purpose of the shower is to be access by yatchies this is why there is a cost to the top of the shower this cost is not for our in house guest.

6. All beaches in St . Lucia are public as it is known as the queens chain, therefore anyone can access the beaches, you will get person offering to sell you locally made chains, however there are special person who are there to over view the beach to ensure that guest and not harass.

7.You did mentioned the noise problem with your standard room and is my utmost pleasure to inform you that we have discontinued selling this room, the problem with this room is that the Resort was formerly a private property this is why the room is close to the Kitchen and occasionally you would hear some noise from the Kitchen.

We take all clients comment into consideration are work continue to build on our standard and ensure that clients satisfaction is at the forefront t of what we offer. The Hummingbird Beach Resort stays true to our heritage and continue upgrading our product to ensure that we strive to be the best at what we offer a true authentic st. Lucian vacation. Our Superior Rooms have all be upgrades with four poster bed. elegant linens and nicely decorated rooms with private balcony over looking the Piton and Ocean. Small refrigerator, flat screen television. Our staff are our asset and we continue training them in customer Service.

It would be my utmost pleasure to welcome you back to the Hummingbird Beach Resort in the near future.

Kindest Regards
Joan Alexander Stowe
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I spent there with my hubby two days. I hoped for great hotel with gorgous views and nice service. What we met there was for me personally huge disappointment.
I rate standard room no view. In short description you find: Short walk through our Batik or near pool and you have arrived in a simple, yet very comfortable room.
What we found upon arrival? The room is just by the kitchen!! Forget about sleeping in the evening (till midnight) and in the morning (from 6am). I travel a lot and never in my life slept in the room that is next to the kitchen and it disturbs almost all evening and morning. The noise was unbearable! There was no info that the cheapest room is the worst you can imagine. After terrible night the room was changed (suppose to standard room piton view). It was better, but still you can hear the noise. It is opposite to the no view standard room.
The second disappointment was breakfast. We had (assume because on my reservation there is no info) continental breakfast. And what you get for 90USD (apart from noisy room)? Plate of fruits - half banana, piece of pineapple, mango and one more piece of fruit. It goes together with juice. We were given menu and there were some prices - so we asked what is included - heard that these things that had no prices. So we chose: pancakes and omlette. What did we find out at check-out? These 2 pancakes and 2 omlettes cost 40ECD (ca 16 USD).
Beach by the hotel is public beach and rather toilet for the pets of locals - saw it twice just when arrived and never spent there my time.
The room of course was not ACed (there is info), mosquito net is not enough - all people that were there were very hard biten by mosquitos.
Generally I would suggest not to go there if you look for a nice stay. We stayed also in Coco Palm in Rodney Bay and it was perfect. Price was lower and service provided was much better.
Generally I think staying at Soufriere is good only if:
1. you love nature and will admire Pitos the whole day as there is not much to do in the town and in the hotel
2. you love diving and will scuba dive daily. The reefs are great and comparable to these in Egypt.
I think that people in Soufriere (not only in Hummingbird) tried to create a luxuirous resort but it is unsuccessful. If you look for nice service choose rather expensive hotel in Soufriere or something cheaper in Rodney Bay. Even beaches in Gros Islet are better - just from postcards. Soufriere is fine only for a one day trip (rather by boat, because road is not good, and it takes about 1,5-2h to get there from Castries).

Room Tip: do not choose standard room no view!!
3 Thank maxima20
HummingbirdSt_Lucia, General Manager at Hummingbird Beach Resort, responded to this review, 13 April 2013
Good day,
Clients satisfaction is very important to us as we work hard to ensure that our guest are happy at all times during they stay.

I would like to apologies for the following that occurred during you stay as my staff have informed me of your concerns. The resort was formerly a private house this is why the Standard No View room and standard piton View room are so close to the Kitchen. We only sell the standard No View Room to clients who are on a small budget and inform them of the occasional noise however it is my duty to ensure that clients are well informed of all rooms categories. Also one of your other concerns was breakfast I have inform Regatta to include the items which come from continental breakfast as I am in the process of including all rooms with full breakfast.

The Resort is a small yet intimate resort for couples and family who does not want a large Resort setting. Your comments will come a long way in improving our service and Standard here.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we hope to welcome you back to back to the Hummingbird bird beach Resort

Regards,
Joan Alexander Stowe. MBE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,238 reviews

Been to Hummingbird Beach Resort? Share your experiences!