I really liked the Hummingbird Beach Resort. The rooms were not fancy, but they were nice and they had some local flavor. The people there are very nice and the food at the restaurant was among the best I had in St. Lucia. The prices were more than fair, and I liked being able to go walk around town, rather than being isolated at an all inclusive place. Speaking of all inclusive places, I went into several Sandals on the island (friends were staying there), and I liked the Hummingbird way better. I can't compare it to some of the other resorts because I didn't go to them. Also, I felt good about staying there because it is locally owned and operated. While eating in the town, I overheard some local men talking politics, and several were complaining about the government coddling foreign resorts to the detriment of local ones. He said there were hardly any locally owned ones left. When they were leaving, I asked about the Hummingbird, and he said it was one of the few locally owned ones and "was a nice property". Anyway, it made me feel good about spending my money there. It is also ideally located to snorkel off the beach, and local kids will take you over to the Chastanet beach, leave you to snorkel as long as you want, then come get you and bring you back for about US$25. The snorkeling there was good, and the boat ride was enjoyable. This is more about the town than the resort, but there are a few aggresive local pandhandlers around town. Thankfully, the security guy keeps them away from the resort, but you have to be a little careful wandering downtown.
If you go, be sure to try the local spiced rum at the bar. They ask if you're sure, then pull out a big jug from beneath the bar. It's really strong, really good, and cheap. Apparently that style of homeade spiced rum is the traditional spirit. Anyway, I heartily recommend the Hummingbird if you want to see Soufriere. It's a great home base.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Hummingbird Beach Resort is a small, intimate resort, located in the scenic town of Soufriere on the south western part of St. Lucia, home to the famous pitons – a world heritage site. Hummingbird Beach Resort has eight (8) beautifully decorated rooms, most of which offer magnificent views of the ocean and the pitons. We also have a Country Cottage which accommodates a family of four (4) comfortably, it is fully furnished and offers breathtaking views of the pitons. We are world renowned for our French Creole Cuisine, award winning cocktails and beautiful batik studio. We are located on the beach and also have a fresh water swimming pool. We do arrange a wide range of tours and excursions. Spa treatments can be made available on request. Let us host your dream wedding or wedding reception dinner. Our tropical island setting and renowned hospitality combine to make your Caribbean wedding and honeymoon an unforgettable experience. Make the charming Hummingbird Beach Resort your choice of accommodation in Soufriere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Hummingbird Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hummingbird Beach Hotel
- Hummingbird Beach Soufrière
- Hummingbird Beach Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere