This review was originally posted after our trip in May 2012. It was deleted, along with all the old reviews when the property changed its name in late 2012. Strange to get rid of all the old reviews as it is the same hotel with the same staff and management!
We have just returned from 2 amazing weeks at the Jalousie Plantation. Although we had booked a Superior Luxury Sugar Mill room we were upgraded to a Luxury Villa in the 500s. We had booked the Sugar Mill Room because we wanted to be close to the pool and beach and not to have to rely on the shuttles. However it took us only minutes to realise how awesome the location of the villa was and after one shuttle ride we realised that there would be no problem with the shuttles, we never waited more than a couple of minutes for a shuttle and the drivers were always helpful and informative.
The villa was stunning, beautifully decorated in cool white with contrasting dark wooden floors. The bed was deeply, softly, incredibly comfortable, the most comfortable we have ever slept in. The bathroom was on a par with the rest of the villa, a huge twin walk-in shower, a large free standing bath, twin vanities and a separate toilet/bidet. There were plenty of power outlets, both UK and USA and a decent hair drier.
Outside we had a spacious terrace with sun loungers and a glorious plunge pool, in the porch was a huge day bed and 2 armchairs with footstools. Although we were only minutes from the beach we felt we were in the middle of the rainforest, a really peaceful setting.
The beach and pool area are well kept with very attentive staff. Towels are provided and laid out for you on the very comfortable loungers. There was no shortage of loungers whilst we were there although to be sure of one with a shade (either canvas or the excellent thatched ones) you needed to be on the beach by 11am or so. Bottles of cold water and cold lavender face towels were handed out every morning and sorbets etc a little later. A very nice touch.
The Bayside is handy for lunch although its easier (and lazier!) to order from your lounger. The burgers are superb!
Snorkelling gear is provided at the watersports center, we were a little underwhelmed by what there was to see but maybe we were making an unfair comparison with the Indian Ocean and the Far East.
We had opted for the Modified American Plan (that's Half Board if you're from the UK or if you just prefer a phrase that's a little more self explanitory!)
Breakfast is served at the Bayside Restaurant. It's a good breakfast menu with something for everyone, continental, eggs, omelettes,full english, fruit etc. The menu isn't set in stone and the staff are happy to oblige with regard to special requests. Unfortunately the coffee seems aimed at the American market, not strong enough and rarely hot enough!!
Dinner is either at the Bayside or in the Great Room.
The Bayside Restaurant is good, good food and mostly good service. It did seem strange though to have a senior member of staff / manager constantly interrupt obviously intimate conversations just to check if everything was ok. It would have been much more ok if he hadn't been there! We did feel that in a resort where there are limited dining choices that a few 'comfort' items on the menu would go down well. When you are on holiday for 2 weeks you don't want a culinary extravaganza every night. One of the burgers from the lunch menu jazzed up for dinner would have been so welcome just once.
The Great Room was incredible. The room itself is stunning, the balcony tables seem to be the most popular but there is little to see outside at night. We preferred to sit inside and enjoy the beautiful room. The service is excellent and the food superb. The salads in particular were remarkable and some of the best I've ever eaten. I doubt there are many places in the world where you can enjoy such fine dining on a half board basis. We didn't see any items on the menu that required paying a supplement to the half board or all inclusive meal plans.
We asked to sit at the bar in the Great Room for an after dinner drink on our last night. It is a beautiful bar and seems to get little or no use.
The wine list is extensive but not cheap! It is nice to see wine looked after well and served properly.
The Bayside has a separate bar. It's a nice spot to sit for a drink before dinner, a couple of hammocks and the sound of the waves lapping the beach.
Up above the Great Room is the Cane Bar. Very very different from the rest of the offerings, air conditioned and very nicely done. The best selection of Rums I've ever seen......and the worst selection of Whiskies!!!! Ok I know it's the Carribean but there are more Whiskies out there than Johnnie Walker!!!! There is the best appointed games room I've ever seen through the end of the bar with some great artwork and signed pictures of some of the more famous guests.
And a final note to all those cat lovers that we shared the Bayside with at breakfast......we get that you like cats, we really do. We, however do not , and I hardly think we are alone there, so could you please have a little consideration and not feed the cats under your tables. You may like to start your day with feral cats rubbing up against your feet, many people don't!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort is set amidst more than 100 acres of tropical rainforest on the island's scenic Caribbean coast. Embraced by St Lucia's majestic World Heritage-listed Pitons, the resort's 96 Luxury Sugar Mill Rooms, Cottages, Villas and Luxury Beachfront Bungalows boast elegant styling, private plunge pool, four poster bed, luxurious Egyptian cotton linens, every possible modern amenity, and personalised butler service. Two stunning white sand beaches, beautiful Rainforest Spa with tree house treatment rooms, full PADI dive facility, and superb waterfront dining ensure the ultimate vacation experience with space enough for honeymooners and families alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, Travelbag, Expedia, Booking.com, Holiday Gems, Ebookers, Odigeo, West Indies, Priceline, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jalousie Plantation Hotel Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation St Lucia
- Jalousie Hilton
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere