“Beautiful Location and Rooms - But very pricey resort”

Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Lagos
“Beautiful Location and Rooms - But very pricey resort”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I chose this as I love hotels that reflect the local feel and character. This plantation style hotel was wonderful in this regard. The villa was beautiful, tasteful and just what I wanted. High ceilings, wonderfully comfortable four poster bed, private pool outside - I was delighted with it. I loved the main plantation house with its polished wooden floors and beautiful veranda among the tropical gardens. The setting was spectacular. The pitons and the beach are divine. Breakfasts were by the sea and the staff were lovely, gracious and extremely friendly. If your breakfast is included in your rate they will present you with a zero bill, with the sole purpose of leaving a tip which is more reflective of US values than British ones. I did think that the prices for a local rum punches etc were very inflated and the weakest part for me was the food in the restaurant. The setting was wonderful on the plantation house veranda but the food was only ok with very few local dishes which is so often the way unfortunately in the Caribbean. As a designer I would add that whoever chose the daft crockery thankfully didn't design the rest of the hotel (lots of jugs with too long spouts which inevitably chipped amongst other things). The gardens were also wonderful. If they had had more local, more soulful food and were not as greedy with the pricing (they have a captive audience so they needn't worry about people spending) this would have been five stars for me.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank LadyPiglet
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Good Day,

Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are happy that you enjoyed your accommodations and our stunning location—both are indeed very special.

Thank you also for your comments about our food and beverage offerings. I am sorry that this was the only aspect of your holiday where we fell short. You may wish to be aware that our Executive chef, Jacques Chretien, is in the process of reviewing all of our menus to improve upon the quality and the variety of dishes on offer. He plans to include more locally inspired option and will be looking closely at price point to ensure we are offering value for money to our guests.

Once again, we appreciate your review. We hope to see you again soon.

André Boersma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (444)
  • Polish first
cspring
Reviewed 11 September 2013

First of all, booked through Whatahotel.com for a great rate and customer service. The hotel is unbeleivable, the location incredible, staff super pleasant which extended to everyone outside of the island we met. We were upgraded to a sugar mill superior room which was very adequate for our 5yr old son. Private pool. well stocked and refreshed mini bar. Read comments on the shuttle service. Our experience was pleasant, wait times did not exceed 5 minutes and I've never stayed anywhere where my walk to and from the room was less than that. Drivers were uber nice. Restaurants were very good but pricey. Would suggest to mgmt that if they revised their price points modestly and had more creole items at dinner it would be well received. Bottle of wine was min $70,apps $15 each. Food quality was 4-5 star/ NYC fine dining. btw, go try La Petit Peak. Food was consistently tasty and service great. Went to Martha's table, food was ok, but overpriced in my view. PetActivities were great. Thanks to Cher in kids club. Private Butlers: Peter, Monty, and Dwight were on point all the time, arranged everything seamlessly. Spa was amazing. Pool and beach butler service was great for drinks and meals. Water sports-great. Dive team- great. Rented a car, which i would highly recommend. Drove up to Marigold Bay (eat at Rainforest), Rodney Beach, Castries (walked the market), Volcano (which is walkable / hikable) from the hotel. Diamond bay waterfalls a bit of a joke since you can't actually bathe in the falls and have to pay to use the mineral pool. At the end of the day having driven around all the west of St Lucia, its clear Viceroy Sugar Beach and the Soufrière area the best spots in the island.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank cspring
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Good Day,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent family holiday at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We are delighted that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations in most areas and that you appreciated the room upgrade we were able to provide. It is also great that the team members you mentioned positively contributed to your stay. I will be sure to commend them for a job well done.

Thank you also for your comments about the food and beverage offerings on property, in particular those relating to the wine selection and cost. We are always looking for high quality wines at a lower price point. Among the issues we face are the high costs of shipping the wine to the island and the high importation duties charged by the St Lucia authorities once they are landed. Sadly, these both add to the overall cost per bottle.

We are in the process of revising our menus to improve the variety of dishes on offer. We plan to have more local, Creole options available for guests who wish to try a real taste of the island.

Thank you once again for your feedback. Your comments and business are important to us. We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Prospect, Kentucky
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My wife & I just returned from our honeymoon in St. Lucia and wish we could have stayed longer. Viceroy is absolutely as advertised if not better. The resort is certainly not inexpensive, but the location & service are priceless.

Upon checking in, you immediately realize the phenomenal service the resort has to offer. You are greeted with warm smiles and a staff that aims to make your stay a memorable one. After a long day of travel, it was nice to be handed a refreshing drink as you check in and are escorted to your room. The private rooms are incredibly impressive. We had a villa in the 700's and were absolutely blown away. The scenery truly is better than a postcard. The rooms were spacious & elegant. There was a large indoor shower as well as an outdoor shower. Closets were huge and the bed was very comfortable. The deck & outdoor area were unbelievable. The view in and around the plunge pool never got old.

We really enjoyed the beach area. The imported white sand between the pitons made for relaxing days. I would also highly recommend snorkeling on property. We snorkeled twice while on the island and much preferred the swim just steps from our beach chairs. There are also a variety of other non-motorized water sports complimentary with your stay. The pool area just up from the beach was beautiful. Very nice to simply hold up a red flag if you wanted a drink for the bar and there was someone available prompty to take care of us.

We mostly dined on property during our stay. The Great Room is an excellent venue for a nice dinner. The Bayside restaurant is more casual and offers nice outdoor views of the water. Overall, most of the food was top notch. We enjoyed the lamb chops & red snapper. We only had one meal that I would classify as disappointing - one day for lunch we ordered a burger while at the restaurant in the sand and it was drastically undercooked. For $18, I thought it would be a bit better. Luckily, the restaurant took care of our meal and offered us something else free of charge. Other than that, everything else was excellent.

In short, the scenery & location set this property apart from the others. When you arrive at Viceroy, you realize that it is worth every penny. We would go back in a heartbeat!

For anyone looking help in booking their travel, I would highly recommend Jennifer Byrne and her team at The Tropical Travelers. We were referred to her as a friend and were very pleasantly surprised. I had not used a travel agent before planning our honeymoon, but will certainly use Jennifer in the future. She went out of her way to answer all of our many questions leading up to the trip and design the perfect stay for us. She is incredibly knowledgeable of all of the islands and resorts (including personnel at the resorts). She was also very responsive to emails or phone calls. We unfortunately had travel complications on the way down to St. Lucia and she started working on Labor Day to help rearrange portions of our itinerary. Thank you Jennifer for all of your help!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Good Day,

On behalf of the entire team, thank you for posting your glowing comments about your honeymoon stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We certainly agree with you that our location is a special one and truly romantic for couples wishing to relax, especially after the hectic pace of wedding preparations.

I am thrilled that your butlers and our other team members provided special touches that made your stay memorable for all the right reasons.

I am sorry that you had an issue with lunch at the beach, but pleased that the issue was handled promptly and professionally by the team in the kitchen.

Once again, thank you for your review. We hope to see you back again soon.

Regards

London
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We've just returned from a quick three night break to Sugar Beach, from Barbados.

We actually stayed here last year on our honeymoon, and I was a little worried that it wouldn't be as good as we remembered, and those brilliant memories would be damaged.

However, the trip just reminded us how amazing this place is. The setting is stunning, with a quiet beach surrounded by beautiful jungle, and a Piton on either side. I could spend hours just gazing out at the scenery. You can tell the place has worked it's magic on everyone there. All guests and staff are friendly, smiling, and super chilled.

It's an incredible resort for a romantic break, but there were also several couples there with young children, and they all looked like they were having a great time. If/when we have kids, I will bring them here on holiday.

Yes its pricey, but for once I have decided that it's worth every cent. Sleep in a beautiful room, chill on the beach, go diving underneath the Pitons, fall asleep during a massage, eat delicious food. Your body and mind will thank you for it.

We were in a completely different state of mind when we left after three nights. Despite this, I refuse to go for less than a week next year. We were practically crying when we left!

Room Tip: Rooms in the 500s have great views. We had 503 which I think has the best view in the resort!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Piggsy82
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Good Day,
Thank you for writing this review about your second stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

It is always heartening when we read feedback such as yours and hear how we continued to meet and exceed your expectations.

We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again and hope you will choose to stay a little longer next time.

Once again, thank you for your comments and continued support.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I’m not 100% sure what is was that made this an outstanding stay - it could have been the breath taking setting or the exquisite service, or the fantastic food. Thinking about it, it was all of the above – combined with great facilities, smile after smile from the staff and a villa nestled in the hillside that met our every expectation of a colonial style Caribbean retreat.

Ahead of arriving we were slightly concerned that the hotel was more designed for adults than children but our kids (both under 10) had a fantastic time. There were enough other kids for them not to be self conscious and for us not to worry that it was our kids who were ruining the ambiance for couples seeking a quieter time. The fact that the hotel site is so large and the sun loungers both at the beach and around the pool are sufficiently dispersed means that it’s hard to tread on any ones toes.

Most of our time was spent around the pool or snorkelling on the house reef which is one of the island’s tourist attractions. We also used the spa, the gym and had a tennis lesson with the resident coach – all were worth doing (not many places you can play tennis whilst staring as something as impressive as the Pitons). We’d also recommend the cocktails and hammocks at the beach bar.

Overall – nothing to complain about and we’d be back in a heart beat.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank LondonCityAM
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Good Day,

We would like to thank you for taking the time and making the effort to provide your feedback about your family holiday at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

I am delighted that you and your children enjoyed your stay with us and that the location, service and activities on offer exceeded your expectations. All of us who work here know what a special place Val des Pitons is and it is always heartening when we meet guests who share the same view.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We welcome the opportunity to serve you again in the not too distant future.

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Sugar Beach was hands down the nicest resort/hotel/accommodations I've ever experienced. My husband and I both agree that the service was the best thing about the place. That and the absolutely gorgeous land that the resort is set on.

Sugar Beach is actually not a very big beach; it's a bay that is totally secluded from any other resort or civilization. We didn't mind the small beach because of the privacy and the feeling that we were the only ones on the island. The Pitons are literally feet from Sugar Beach and are breathtaking from every spot on the resort.

The pool is fabulous, the food is great (especially breakfast!), the spa was amazing, the luxury is definitely there. The only thing we wished had been different was the expense, but you definitely pay for what you get! Highly recommended!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sugar Mill rooms, which were the least expensive but the closest to the amenities...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lane S
Good Day,

Thank you for taking the time to post this glowing review on Trip Advisor.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort and that our superb location and attentive service won you over.

Your comments and your business are greatly appreciated.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

As a little girl, I grew up at Sugar Beach when it was the then 'Jalousie plantation' in the 1980s (a working plantation). I went to the estate often with my parents and grand parents who were plantation workers there at the time; cleaning the estate and making copra from dried coconuts! I admired being so close to these majestic peaks rising from the deep blue Caribbean waters. Today, visitors can enjoy this great Treasure by staying at the Sugar Beach Resort. The cottages were built between the lush vegetation making it an awesome location for nature lovers. The newly rebuilt cottages look great and although not so close to one another, shuttle bus services are provided at anytime. There are lots of activities for guests to enjoy; including excursions, fitness centre, night life, kids activities amongst others so you will not get bored!!!!!! My memories from twenty six years ago remains and I will always love this place! No where else on earth like it! Strategically located between our world heritage sites! The majestic Pitons!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TreasureToursLtd
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Good Day,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about your “homecoming” stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, formerly the Jalousie Plantation.

It’s a real pleasure when guests who grew up in St Lucia and who have known the area from childhood, come back to the island to rediscover all of the special memories this place between the Pitons holds for them.

It is a magic location and we work hard as a team to protect everything that is special about Val des Pitons and to ensure any additions are in tune with the local surrounding and designed to enhance the wonders that Mother Nature has already provided.

Once again, thank you for your review. We trust that this latest visit was the first of many more to come.

André Boersma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!