“Our Honeymoon at Sugar Beach”

Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Nothing short of amazing. Beautiful private grounds, luxurious accommodations and privacy. Everything my wife and I wished for on our honeymoon. Our butlers, Eran, Fabian and Peter were there to assist in any way possible, be it scheduling a ride to and from the beach to coordinating our dinner reservation including transportation, or recommending the best possible ways to spend our time.

Staff were welcoming and accommodating, pool side, beach side or other.

Definitely a great place for a special occasion with your loved one.

Not being one to ever take advantage of a resort spa, I found myself at this one twice. Total relaxation.

Truly an amazing place.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Good day,

Thank you for posting your glowing comments about your honeymoon stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

Reviews such as yours bring us great satisfaction. Our aim is to provide our guests with the most amazing experiences by delivering high level of service and quality amenities.

We are pleased that you spent your honeymoon at Sugar Beach and that you enjoyed every moment.

Once again, thank you for your positive comments and we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed for 8 days for our Honeymoon in September, 2012. The resort is beautiful, the staff is gracious and welcoming, and the room was stunning. We opted for the all-inclusive meal package, and appreciated that we didn't have to stress about the cost on a daily basis. The bugs were relentless, but a small price to pay to be in such an extraordinary place. We booked a sugar mill room, and two days before we arrived got the "good" news that we'd been upgraded to a luxury villa... Because the resort was under construction. The pool was totally shut down, which was terrible news for me personally - I don't swim in the ocean, so I was really counting on being able to enjoy the pool. But it wasn't just that the pool was shut down, it was that everything was under heavy construction. Sitting on the beach on our first day, we were offered earplugs to drown out the sound of jackhammers, concrete saws and giant vehicles. I definitely felt like the resort wasn't forthcoming about the plans for construction, and we wouldn't have come had we known. I recommend you call and explicitly confirm that everything is functional before you go. It looks like the results of all the construction are beautiful, I'm just sorry we missed out on it.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bethany C

Good day,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay in what was The Jalousie Plantation in September 2012.

I am sorry about the experience that you have described when you stayed at the resort. You may be happy to know that we completed our renovation project in November last year and have subsequently rebranded and relaunched the property as Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We trust that you will consider a return visit to what is now Sugar Beachto enjoy firsthand the improvements we have made since your last stay.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We have just returned from this truly remarkable hotel, on a truly remarkable Island. We spent 5 days at Sugar Beach (previously Jalousie, whose name I love!). Maybe I have not travelled enough or been privileged enough in some peoples experience but Sugar Beach has got to commandeer one of the most outstanding locations for a holiday destination. It is located right between the two Pitons (towering just under 800 m), which are recognised as part of a World Heritage Site in a stunning bay. This is a large resort but you would not know it. It is made up of bungalows and villas set in amongst the lush vegetation, beach front bungalows and accommodation in the Sugar Mill building. We stayed in a room the top floor of the Sugar Mill. Whilst I can imagine the bungalows and villas are exceptional and obviously better suited to families, the Sugar Mill rooms benefitted from being within walking distance of all main facilities (apart from the gym) so no need to take the golf buggies. Our room was luxurious in white with dark wooden floors and had a huge balcony (enclosed and open) with a plunge pool overlooking the Pitons. The linen/room was spotless and boasted an I-pad with hotel information. There were plug sockets for both american and european plugs.

We were on a half board basis where you could eat at either The Great Room restaurant (formal dinning in the gorgeous main building mixing an eclectic mix of colonial style but with a funky twist of some more modern art adorning the walls) or the Bay Side restaurant which was more informal and situated on the beach. I believe there was a Sushi type bar area, which looked great but we did not dine there. It is best to book your meals (through the amazing butlers) the day before if you are fussy about what time you want to eat. Breakfast was served in the airy downstairs of the Main building with lovely views down towards the beach and Pitons. Breakfast got a little busy at certain times and the food quality suffered - it could be improved with some better organisation, which would take some pressure off the staff who were doing their best with some grumpy guests and obviously improve service to stop guests getting grumpy in the first place! There was a vegetarian menu available in both restaurants. The food was very tasty in both restaurants and well prepared with excellent and friendly service from the staff but my one criticism of our stay does concern the food. Firstly, I am not sure if the menu is changed weekly but had I been staying for longer than the 5 days I may have become a bit tired of the choice. Secondly, I felt there was a distinct lack of showcasing any real local variety of fruit, vegetables or flavours. There were regional fish options, which was nice and The Bayside Restaurant offered a 'Chefs Special' of 3 choices that was focused on 'local' food (highlighted by the lovely waitress not the menu), which is a good start. I understand hotels need to cater to an 'international' crowd but I feel with their skills and knowledge they could easily incorporate a more varied menu that uses and boasts local dishes, flavours etc I appreciate 'goat' may not have a wide culinary audience but I feel there are many other options to play around with. Having visited Soufriere and getting an idea of the local foods produced and seeing the guy who turned up daily on his canoe on the beach to sell fresh (I think!), local fruits I feel these should be used and highlighted as delicious, seasonal dining options. We had the BBQ night on the Friday, which is a great place to showcase local produce, dishes etc but apart from the fish (which was delicious), it lacked any obvious 'local' delights, music or atmosphere. It would be nice to have had a live band/music that reflected some Island music/vibe - even if it was Calypso or Soca that I understand is more from Trinidad. I believe St Lucia hosts a Jazz festival, so maybe some thing along those lines. ST Lucia had their Creole Festival the following day, which was a massive homage to food and heritage but there was no sign of this at the hotel itself, which is a shame I feel.

The pool area and beach once again boasted the most incredible, romantic, mystical views. There were complementary non-motorized water sports available and an enclosed area for snorkelling at the base of the Petit Piton. Incredible and safe! The beach is 'white sand' - imported from Trinidad but keeps us white beach seekers happy I suppose! The Coconut Man is a regular on the beach offering fresh coconut water, prepared in front of you and there are some local crafts and fruit seller to the one side of the beach. It is a careful balance I suppose to ensure the beach remains fairly exclusive to the guests as it is not extensive but my understanding is that all beaches are by law accessible to the public - they are just tricky to get to! Some local fishermen were casting their nets during the day over the week end which looked like it was causing some of the managers some concern. But contrary to upsetting any of the guests, everybody on the beach flocked to see the skilled 'spectacle'. The undersized fish (lobsters) and not needed fish were all placed back in the sea.

The staff were incredible and an absolute delight. I sincerely hope their efforts are acknowledged and rewarded - perfect balance of friendly, attentive but relaxed. The reservation and check in/out were straight forward and more than accommodating and helpful with any questions or concerns. Georg (General Manager) was so helpful and caring in his approach during the booking stage and checking on our arrival. We were significantly delayed due to Liat - be warned if using this airline as delays are frequent! I have never had the luxury of having a 'butler' to help so was delighted and reassured when our Butler Nyson was absolutely charming and attentive without being overbearing and happy to help with any bookings on site and off site. Our taxi driver Dave or 'Super Dave' as he likes to be known was an EXCELLENT host, flexible in approach and a safe driver, who could be booked through the butler service for trips out or transfers. I thoroughly recommend getting out of the hotel grounds to explore the area as it is truly a unique and beautiful place, not withstanding your support for the local people and communities. We climbed the Grand Piton with the help of a very patient and gifted guide called 'Mull' and went on a 'Soufriere Experience' which incorporated a volcanic mud bath (AMAZING for the skin - challenging on the nostrils!), waterfall, Diamond Botanical Gardens, mineral waters and waterfalls, a drive through Soufriere (not explored enough) and lastly Zip Lining at Morne Coubaril Estate. This estate also offers tours and dining experiences which looked very interesting. We were not adventurous enough to hire a car as the roads need some nerve, numerous stray dogs on/near the roads unfortunately and signage is limited so would recommend a good guide if you feel the same. Tips are gratefully received and very well deserved, especially for the 'guides' at the various locations. There are plenty of 1/2 and full day trip options on offer at the hotel both on land and sea - so go forth and explore. Failing the will to leave the resort, there is a great games/snooker room, ping pong table, kids area, very well kitted out gym, exercise classes on offer, a rainforest walk and a magical spa set up in huts on stilts in the forest.

Weather and small bitey things: Now it WAS the rainy season, so if travelling during this time, you just need to be aware and accept that you will get rain. We had a couple of wash out days, where we just chilled out and made use of the hotel facilities and bar obviously! There were mosquitos about but no where near the extent that we were expecting. The bed had a mosquito net and there were citronella candles to burn outside. We took advice from the forums and used Avon moisturiser and used spray as well. We came away with a few bites but nothing to rave about.

Jalousie is an incredibly romantic, beautiful and magical place to visit and St Lucia an Island that has endless exploring opportunities. We feel truly lucky to have had this experience. Thank you

Room Tip: Would choose a higher room if staying in the Sugar Mill - bright and sunny
2  Thank star_one

Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review following your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We are very pleased to know that you had a fantastic holiday at our resort and that you enjoyed everything that we offered. Thank you especially for your comments about the menu and your recommendations on how we might improve in this area. Our Executive Chef has taken your comments onboard moving forward and future guests will certainly see more locally inspired dishes and produce featured.

Once again, thank you for your comments and recommendations. We hope to welcome you back to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at Sugar Beach for 8 nights to celebrate our honeymoon. We enjoyed every aspect of this hotel and ever moment of our trip. The villa's are gorgeous and appointed with everything you would need to bask in luxury. Our butlers Stephen and Shawn were available for any need we had, from reservations for dinner, to spa appointments. The people at Sugar Beach make it so special. We met Lawrencia at the Bayside Bar on our first night on the property. She immediately made us feel at home, and took such great care of us the entire stay. Staff members like Lawrencia are the reason people will come back time and time again. We will look forward to our return to Sugar Beach, for years to come. It is one of the most gorgeous locations in the world, and the people make it that much more beautiful.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback about your honeymoon at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are pleased to hear that you were satisfied and enjoyed everything that we offered. Our staff will be happy to hear your comments, particularly the individuals mentioned.
Once again, thank you for your encouraging review and we are looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We just got back from sugar beach and had a wonderful time! We went to celebrate our 22nd wedding Anniversay and I'm so glad we chose sugar beach. We were considering staying at jade mountain but after having gone there for dinner we know we made the right choice. The staff made us feel so special, especially our butlers Wynel and Anisha!

Don't hesitate to go it's heaven on earth! Also they upgraded us to a villa that had beautiful views of the sea and the pitons (villa 701).

Room Tip: Villa 701 great view of the pitons and the sea.

Good day,
Thank you for your glowing comments about your 22nd Wedding Anniversary stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
Our aim is to provide our guest with an experience just like the one you have described. It brings us great satisfaction to read that you were comfortable and happy with every aspect of your stay. Your butlers, Winnel and Anisha will be commended for making your anniversary a celebration to remember for all the right reasons.
Once again, thank you for your feedback. We are look forward to your next visit, perhaps even for your 23rd Wedding Anniversary.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Which on reflection is too long at one hotel as I reached the stage of being able to recite the menu. As we were all inclusive we ate at The Great Room every evening where the food is much better. I am sure everyone gets fed up of reading about wonderful sandy beaches, clear seas & sunshine. it had all of these plus the loved up honeymoon couples wrapped around each other!
Gripes: It is mosquito heaven and despite covering ourselves in deet we were badly bitten.
Jellyfish, they are too small to see but they still bite.
All inclusive wines were in very short supply so there was not one day out of the 10 when we could have our first choice.
I didn't like the buggies hot air blowing onto you and a chore waiting for them.
They run out of things all the time, no milk for the coffee on the beach, one day no coffee even on the beach!
Lastly I agree with the point made by a previous reviewer. there are some unbelievably selfish holidaymakers. One couple reserved 4 beach beds every day. Also at the start of our holiday it was very quiet and towards the end we ran into half term so lots of noisy children arrived.
All said it is a lovely idyllic place with friendly staff and the luxury grand villa we had was one of the best we have had in the Caribbean.

1  Thank SomersetPanda

Good day,
Thank you for your valuable feedback about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I would like to apologize for the issues you have highlighted. Please know that we have taken your comments onboard and we are continuing to evaluate our service standards to ensure that we provide our guests with the best possible service—especially in the areas that were of concern to you.
Apart from the disappointments mentioned, we are happy to know that overall you enjoyed the time that you spent at Sugar Beach.
We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future to share firsthand the improvements made in light of your concerns.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Where to start...! From the moment we arrived our butler was waiting for us with drinks and swept us away to our enormous and gorgeous villa! (no need to go check in!) There are so many great things about Sugar Beach but the rooms are one of the best parts! The outdoor area with private pool, 3 seating areas, and shower still blows my mind! The inside is spacious and luxurious! The staff at all of the restaurants and at the beach are quick and very attentive. The food is literally some of the best food I have ever had in my life! Our private dinner on the beach cooked by Chef Sydney was the best dinner I think we will ever have in our lives! I suggest getting the all inclusive package so you can try as much of the food as possible without being worried about the price. Be sure to check out the spa!! We can't wait to go back to Sugar Beach!!

Room Tip: Room 806 has the best view and the most privacy of any we could see!
1  Thank Lauren M

Good Day,
On behalf of the entire team, I would like say how happy we are that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for providing us with your feedback about your honeymoon.
We are committed to providing our guests with the highest level of service and it is satisfying to know that you enjoyed our hotel facilities, accommodations, and everything else that we offered.
We will be sure to share your comments with Chef Sydney. He works hard to create special dining experiences that not only meet but exceed the expectations of our guests. He will be delighted that you enjoyed your private dinner with him.
Thank you once again for your review and we hope to welcome you back to Sugar Beach at some point in the future.

André Boersma

Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#7 of 11 in Soufriere
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!