We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sugar Beach resort. We were looking for a luxurious, relaxing stay in beautiful surroundings and that is exactly what we got!
The location was stunning - a long white sandy beach nestled between the two breathtaking peaks of the Piton mountains against a backdrop of lush private gardens. The little touches, such as lanterns hanging from the trees, driftwood railings, hammocks and real flame torches/beacons lighting your path down to dinner, made it all the more atmospheric.
We have never been so impressed with the service at a resort. The staff were exceptional and nothing was too much trouble. They managed to balance professionalism and friendliness perfectly and everyone was so lovely to our 20-month old daughter. For example, they gave us bread to feed the fish from the jetty every morning and our butlers, Peter in particular, listened intently as she described her day ("dolphins..whales.. fish..eat..bread…swimming"!)
The playroom was a great facility and we really appreciated the fact that our daughter's food was free during our stay.
We booked the lowest level room (Sugar Mill room) but we were upgraded to a luxury villa on arrival. The villa was really nicely done with dark wooden floors, crisp white linen, lovely local art on the walls, a very comfy four-poster bed, a standalone roll-top bath, his and hers sinks, a big walk-in shower, a private terrace with two swinging seats and a dining area, an over-sized plunge pool… all of which we welcomed! The only drawback was that this meant that we had to get a 'golf buggy' down the hill to all the facilities every day (reception, breakfast terrace, beach, pool, restaurants are about a 5 minute drive). We hardly ever waited more than a couple of minutes for one and our daughter loved getting the 'tractors' but it was a bit of a bind if you forgot something! Just something to bear in mind if you're travelling with young children, perhaps, or less mobile people.
The only real negative were the mosquitoes and sand flies because (however much I spray myself) I always get bitten! The hotel did provide nets over the beds and citronella candles etc to try and keep them at bay, however.
- Electric shuttles might be better than 'golf buggies' which were a bit noisy and let off heat fumes
- We would have appreciated another restaurant/food option during the day and some more simple menu options (the children's menu had a delicious spaghetti bolognese which wasn't offered on the full menu for example)
- A wider selection of bar food in the Cane Bar (only sushi)
- A simple BBQ buffet that's part of the menu as opposed to a big ticket evening (it was USD90 per person).
In summary, we would definitely recommend the Sugar Beach hotel (in fact we already have) and we hope to return in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort is set amidst more than 100 acres of tropical rainforest on the island's scenic Caribbean coast. Embraced by St Lucia's majestic World Heritage-listed Pitons, the resort's 96 Luxury Sugar Mill Rooms, Cottages, Villas and Luxury Beachfront Bungalows boast elegant styling, private plunge pool, four poster bed, luxurious Egyptian cotton linens, every possible modern amenity, and personalised butler service. Two stunning white sand beaches, beautiful Rainforest Spa with tree house treatment rooms, full PADI dive facility, and superb waterfront dining ensure the ultimate vacation experience with space enough for honeymooners and families alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Holiday Gems, Odigeo, Travelbag, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jalousie Plantation Hotel Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation St Lucia
- Jalousie Hilton
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere