The trip from the airport by car is quite long and the road is winy, so, as other reviewers notice, it can make you car sick. But I guess it is the only option. I heard you can go by boat, but boat trip is much more money, and again one can get sea sick if the ocean is rough. Otherwise it is probably the only resort in the Caribbean I've been to where not just the ocean is beautiful. The views at this resort are stunning. We were in a luxury villa in the 800s row. As other reviewers are saying views vary depending on which villa you have. There were no ocean views from ours, but great views of both Petit and Gros Pitons. The splurge pool was really on a small size, the size of a hot tub really. But I know some other villas have larger pools if you care for one. We are beach people and we enjoyed the beach a lot. Never too crowded, calm waters that I love, and fantastic views again. Offer of refreshments was spotty. One day we would be offered something like a sorber, but other days there were no refreshments at all. However beach service was quite efficient with their flag policy.
The food was one of the best I've ever had in a Caribbean resort in both restaurants. However the service tended to be slow, especially at the beach restaurant. One night it took them two hours to serve us dinner without desserts. I heard other people complaining about the service too. Some of them were with small children, and I know it is not always easy to wait for your meal to be served when you are with small kids. However, I have to mention that during one week of our stay service has improved towards the end. I've got an impression that this resort is listening and acting on the spot to bring their services to its best.
Most reviewers are right about the villas. Yes, they are some of the best accommodation you can get at a Caribbean resort. They are stylish, large and very comfortable. I know that Jade Mountain ranks higher on Trip Adviser among Soufriere resorts, but we took a boat to go on a fishing trip and I saw it from the sea and Jade Mountain has too much stone and concrete to my liking. Sugar Beach blends in way better with the surrounding landscape that I really appreciate. And Sugar Beach does have the most comfortable beds. I am even thinking of ordering one for my home since I had the best sleep ever while at SB.
The fishing trip was rather disappointing. We caught a barracuda, and that was it. I am not sure if St. Lucia is such a great fishing spot, but I had a feeling that the guys who took us fishing did not really care if we catch anything or not. You can kind of always tell if those people make an effort to find a good fishing spot or if they just ride their boat for the four hours that you charter them.
The Spa is good and beautiful, but the whole idea of tree houses was not new to me. It is quite similar to the spa at Four Seasons, Ko Samui in Thailand. I found that spa better still and bigger.
I know many reviewer praise the butler service at SB. Our butlers were OK. However the few resorts with butler service that I visited did not make me appreciate it. To me, it is an unnecessary leg between a guest and a good concierge service, and sometimes even causes miscommunication. And since you are assigned a butler(s) anyway at butler services hotels you feel you have to tip them at the end anyway regardless of much you needed them during your trip if at all.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort is set amidst more than 100 acres of tropical rainforest on the island's scenic Caribbean coast. Embraced by St Lucia's majestic World Heritage-listed Pitons, the resort's 96 Luxury Sugar Mill Rooms, Cottages, Villas and Luxury Beachfront Bungalows boast elegant styling, private plunge pool, four poster bed, luxurious Egyptian cotton linens, every possible modern amenity, and personalised butler service. Two stunning white sand beaches, beautiful Rainforest Spa with tree house treatment rooms, full PADI dive facility, and superb waterfront dining ensure the ultimate vacation experience with space enough for honeymooners and families alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Destinology, Holiday Gems, Odigeo, Expedia, Hotels.com, West Indies, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jalousie Plantation Hotel Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation St Lucia
- Jalousie Hilton
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere