“stunning views”

Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The trip from the airport by car is quite long and the road is winy, so, as other reviewers notice, it can make you car sick. But I guess it is the only option. I heard you can go by boat, but boat trip is much more money, and again one can get sea sick if the ocean is rough. Otherwise it is probably the only resort in the Caribbean I've been to where not just the ocean is beautiful. The views at this resort are stunning. We were in a luxury villa in the 800s row. As other reviewers are saying views vary depending on which villa you have. There were no ocean views from ours, but great views of both Petit and Gros Pitons. The splurge pool was really on a small size, the size of a hot tub really. But I know some other villas have larger pools if you care for one. We are beach people and we enjoyed the beach a lot. Never too crowded, calm waters that I love, and fantastic views again. Offer of refreshments was spotty. One day we would be offered something like a sorber, but other days there were no refreshments at all. However beach service was quite efficient with their flag policy.
The food was one of the best I've ever had in a Caribbean resort in both restaurants. However the service tended to be slow, especially at the beach restaurant. One night it took them two hours to serve us dinner without desserts. I heard other people complaining about the service too. Some of them were with small children, and I know it is not always easy to wait for your meal to be served when you are with small kids. However, I have to mention that during one week of our stay service has improved towards the end. I've got an impression that this resort is listening and acting on the spot to bring their services to its best.
Most reviewers are right about the villas. Yes, they are some of the best accommodation you can get at a Caribbean resort. They are stylish, large and very comfortable. I know that Jade Mountain ranks higher on Trip Adviser among Soufriere resorts, but we took a boat to go on a fishing trip and I saw it from the sea and Jade Mountain has too much stone and concrete to my liking. Sugar Beach blends in way better with the surrounding landscape that I really appreciate. And Sugar Beach does have the most comfortable beds. I am even thinking of ordering one for my home since I had the best sleep ever while at SB.
The fishing trip was rather disappointing. We caught a barracuda, and that was it. I am not sure if St. Lucia is such a great fishing spot, but I had a feeling that the guys who took us fishing did not really care if we catch anything or not. You can kind of always tell if those people make an effort to find a good fishing spot or if they just ride their boat for the four hours that you charter them.
The Spa is good and beautiful, but the whole idea of tree houses was not new to me. It is quite similar to the spa at Four Seasons, Ko Samui in Thailand. I found that spa better still and bigger.
I know many reviewer praise the butler service at SB. Our butlers were OK. However the few resorts with butler service that I visited did not make me appreciate it. To me, it is an unnecessary leg between a guest and a good concierge service, and sometimes even causes miscommunication. And since you are assigned a butler(s) anyway at butler services hotels you feel you have to tip them at the end anyway regardless of much you needed them during your trip if at all.

Room Tip: definitely the villas vs rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Victoria D
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Good day,

Thank you for sharing your Sugar Beach experience with us.

I would like to apologize for the slow service that you experienced at the Bayside restaurant. We are currently looking at ways to improve the service in that area.

I am sorry that you felt the hosts of the fishing trip you took did not care about your fishing experience. We will share your concerns with them to ensure that they do not give our guests the wrong impression and provide them with an amazing experience.

Our guests usually appreciate the service that their butlers provide. They are at the service of our guests to make dinner and spa arrangements, book excursions, service your room daily and to fulfill any other requests that might arise. I understand that this service was not important to you so we appreciate your comments in this regard.

Apart from the concerns that you highlighted, we trust that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for acknowledging the natural beauty of Sugar Beach compared to our competitors.

Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We look forward to your return visit.

There are newer reviews for Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Reviewed 6 November 2013

Everything about this resort is World Class. It is sandwiched between the UNESCO Vale De Pitons, surrounded by rainforest and has a top notch beach to complete the picture. It takes your breath away every time you step outside your room.

Food and drink is pricey but they throw in lots for your money including tennis, gym, watersports, a butler service, Ipad and free Wifi and best of all friendly staff to cater to your every need.

Book a Sugar Mill room for maximum value and proximity to the best bits of the resort. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Sugar Mill or Beach Bungalow
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sheffieldtoddy
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2013

Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We are so pleased that you truly enjoyed your stay and everything that we offered. The top-notch services, facilities, amenities, accommodations and quality dining experiences that we offer to our guests definitely put us in a very high position in this industry.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we are looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sugar Beach resort. We were looking for a luxurious, relaxing stay in beautiful surroundings and that is exactly what we got!

The location was stunning - a long white sandy beach nestled between the two breathtaking peaks of the Piton mountains against a backdrop of lush private gardens. The little touches, such as lanterns hanging from the trees, driftwood railings, hammocks and real flame torches/beacons lighting your path down to dinner, made it all the more atmospheric.

We have never been so impressed with the service at a resort. The staff were exceptional and nothing was too much trouble. They managed to balance professionalism and friendliness perfectly and everyone was so lovely to our 20-month old daughter. For example, they gave us bread to feed the fish from the jetty every morning and our butlers, Peter in particular, listened intently as she described her day ("dolphins..whales.. fish..eat..bread…swimming"!)

The playroom was a great facility and we really appreciated the fact that our daughter's food was free during our stay.

We booked the lowest level room (Sugar Mill room) but we were upgraded to a luxury villa on arrival. The villa was really nicely done with dark wooden floors, crisp white linen, lovely local art on the walls, a very comfy four-poster bed, a standalone roll-top bath, his and hers sinks, a big walk-in shower, a private terrace with two swinging seats and a dining area, an over-sized plunge pool… all of which we welcomed! The only drawback was that this meant that we had to get a 'golf buggy' down the hill to all the facilities every day (reception, breakfast terrace, beach, pool, restaurants are about a 5 minute drive). We hardly ever waited more than a couple of minutes for one and our daughter loved getting the 'tractors' but it was a bit of a bind if you forgot something! Just something to bear in mind if you're travelling with young children, perhaps, or less mobile people.

The only real negative were the mosquitoes and sand flies because (however much I spray myself) I always get bitten! The hotel did provide nets over the beds and citronella candles etc to try and keep them at bay, however.

Some suggestions:
- Electric shuttles might be better than 'golf buggies' which were a bit noisy and let off heat fumes
- We would have appreciated another restaurant/food option during the day and some more simple menu options (the children's menu had a delicious spaghetti bolognese which wasn't offered on the full menu for example)
- A wider selection of bar food in the Cane Bar (only sushi)
- A simple BBQ buffet that's part of the menu as opposed to a big ticket evening (it was USD90 per person).

In summary, we would definitely recommend the Sugar Beach hotel (in fact we already have) and we hope to return in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sashcroft

Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We are elated to hear that your holiday was near perfect and that the courtesies and services extended by our staff helped to enhance your stay. We are pleased to know that you appreciated the room upgrade.

I would like to apologize for the discomfort caused by the mosquitoes. We do undertake extensive property-wide fogging in an effort to control these pests, but unfortunately, our tropical climate and rainforest surroundings make it difficult to eradicate them completely.

Thank you for your recommendations about the electrical buggies. We have tested these vehicles on our roads, but sadly, they are simply not powerful enough to navigate our mountainous terrain. With that being said, we are continuing to look for ways to enhance our transportation system.

Once again, thank you for your comments, business and recommendations. We are looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

We got married at Sugar Beach in July and it was a magical week. The landscape and views of this resort cannot be matched.
We were welcomed immediately in the reception area. I think our room wasn't quite ready for us, so we sat down and had a complimentary drink while we waited. The butlers were everywhere and ready to help you with any request. We are pretty low maintenance people and keep to ourselves, but the minute we needed something, they were on it. The food is delicious in every restaurant. We ate a giant breakfast every morning and didn't even need lunch. Once we splurged and got lunch on the beach, they bring it right to your lounge chair.
Shantal was our wedding coordinator and she was fabulous and extremely professional. I didn't want to do any planning or worry about any details, and she took care of everything for me and got me everything that I asked for. Everything was timed and planned perfectly. She arranged for my sisters, my mother and I to get ready in the spa. We were then married on the beach followed by a private sail on a catamaran. The crew on the boat made it such a fun time. When we docked we had dinner up on the cane bar terrace with a steel band. It was so perfect. Our family and friends all had a fantastic time.
The morning after the wedding we got the couples massage at the spa. They give you the royal treatment. It is so much fun going into the spa and the staff there are so accommodating.
Everything is extremely pricey, but everything has to be imported, so you have to expect that when you go there. I think the all inclusive option may have been a good idea, we didn't choose that option only because our wedding dinner would not have been included. We also had our rehearsal dinner at Dasheene-also fabulous! It is a 20 minute cab ride to the Ladera resort (at the top of the mountain). The view was unbelievable. I chose to stay at Sugar Beach over Ladera because Sugar Beach is on the water, but Ladera looked like a wonderful place to stay too.
We were in the sugar mill which was beautiful. Our room was two floors with high vaulted ceilings and a giant patio. We spent every evening on the patio. The sugar mill is right in the middle of the resort so you don't have to use the buggies to get anywhere.
I got eaten alive by bugs despite about 5 types of bug spray, so be careful about that.
I would love to go back to Sugar Beach some day, maybe for an anniversary.

Room Tip: We were in Sugar Mill 11, great location for getting to the beach and the restaurants easily. Absol...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank srg106

Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your wedding at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We are proud to hear that your wedding was all that you dreamed it would be and that Shantal in particular went the extra mile to ensure that everything was perfect for your special day. Our team members will be very happy with your feedback. We will commend them for a job well done.

We are also delighted that you enjoyed our facilities, accommodations, culinary offering and everything else that we offered and that your family had a great experience as well.

Once again, thank you for choosing Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort to celebrate this special occasion. We are looking forward to your return visit, perhaps for your first wedding anniversary.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Nothing short of amazing. Beautiful private grounds, luxurious accommodations and privacy. Everything my wife and I wished for on our honeymoon. Our butlers, Eran, Fabian and Peter were there to assist in any way possible, be it scheduling a ride to and from the beach to coordinating our dinner reservation including transportation, or recommending the best possible ways to spend our time.

Staff were welcoming and accommodating, pool side, beach side or other.

Definitely a great place for a special occasion with your loved one.

Not being one to ever take advantage of a resort spa, I found myself at this one twice. Total relaxation.

Truly an amazing place.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Good day,

Thank you for posting your glowing comments about your honeymoon stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

Reviews such as yours bring us great satisfaction. Our aim is to provide our guests with the most amazing experiences by delivering high level of service and quality amenities.

We are pleased that you spent your honeymoon at Sugar Beach and that you enjoyed every moment.

Once again, thank you for your positive comments and we look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed for 8 days for our Honeymoon in September, 2012. The resort is beautiful, the staff is gracious and welcoming, and the room was stunning. We opted for the all-inclusive meal package, and appreciated that we didn't have to stress about the cost on a daily basis. The bugs were relentless, but a small price to pay to be in such an extraordinary place. We booked a sugar mill room, and two days before we arrived got the "good" news that we'd been upgraded to a luxury villa... Because the resort was under construction. The pool was totally shut down, which was terrible news for me personally - I don't swim in the ocean, so I was really counting on being able to enjoy the pool. But it wasn't just that the pool was shut down, it was that everything was under heavy construction. Sitting on the beach on our first day, we were offered earplugs to drown out the sound of jackhammers, concrete saws and giant vehicles. I definitely felt like the resort wasn't forthcoming about the plans for construction, and we wouldn't have come had we known. I recommend you call and explicitly confirm that everything is functional before you go. It looks like the results of all the construction are beautiful, I'm just sorry we missed out on it.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bethany C

Good day,

Thank you for posting your comments about your stay in what was The Jalousie Plantation in September 2012.

I am sorry about the experience that you have described when you stayed at the resort. You may be happy to know that we completed our renovation project in November last year and have subsequently rebranded and relaunched the property as Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We trust that you will consider a return visit to what is now Sugar Beachto enjoy firsthand the improvements we have made since your last stay.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We have just returned from this truly remarkable hotel, on a truly remarkable Island. We spent 5 days at Sugar Beach (previously Jalousie, whose name I love!). Maybe I have not travelled enough or been privileged enough in some peoples experience but Sugar Beach has got to commandeer one of the most outstanding locations for a holiday destination. It is located right between the two Pitons (towering just under 800 m), which are recognised as part of a World Heritage Site in a stunning bay. This is a large resort but you would not know it. It is made up of bungalows and villas set in amongst the lush vegetation, beach front bungalows and accommodation in the Sugar Mill building. We stayed in a room the top floor of the Sugar Mill. Whilst I can imagine the bungalows and villas are exceptional and obviously better suited to families, the Sugar Mill rooms benefitted from being within walking distance of all main facilities (apart from the gym) so no need to take the golf buggies. Our room was luxurious in white with dark wooden floors and had a huge balcony (enclosed and open) with a plunge pool overlooking the Pitons. The linen/room was spotless and boasted an I-pad with hotel information. There were plug sockets for both american and european plugs.

We were on a half board basis where you could eat at either The Great Room restaurant (formal dinning in the gorgeous main building mixing an eclectic mix of colonial style but with a funky twist of some more modern art adorning the walls) or the Bay Side restaurant which was more informal and situated on the beach. I believe there was a Sushi type bar area, which looked great but we did not dine there. It is best to book your meals (through the amazing butlers) the day before if you are fussy about what time you want to eat. Breakfast was served in the airy downstairs of the Main building with lovely views down towards the beach and Pitons. Breakfast got a little busy at certain times and the food quality suffered - it could be improved with some better organisation, which would take some pressure off the staff who were doing their best with some grumpy guests and obviously improve service to stop guests getting grumpy in the first place! There was a vegetarian menu available in both restaurants. The food was very tasty in both restaurants and well prepared with excellent and friendly service from the staff but my one criticism of our stay does concern the food. Firstly, I am not sure if the menu is changed weekly but had I been staying for longer than the 5 days I may have become a bit tired of the choice. Secondly, I felt there was a distinct lack of showcasing any real local variety of fruit, vegetables or flavours. There were regional fish options, which was nice and The Bayside Restaurant offered a 'Chefs Special' of 3 choices that was focused on 'local' food (highlighted by the lovely waitress not the menu), which is a good start. I understand hotels need to cater to an 'international' crowd but I feel with their skills and knowledge they could easily incorporate a more varied menu that uses and boasts local dishes, flavours etc I appreciate 'goat' may not have a wide culinary audience but I feel there are many other options to play around with. Having visited Soufriere and getting an idea of the local foods produced and seeing the guy who turned up daily on his canoe on the beach to sell fresh (I think!), local fruits I feel these should be used and highlighted as delicious, seasonal dining options. We had the BBQ night on the Friday, which is a great place to showcase local produce, dishes etc but apart from the fish (which was delicious), it lacked any obvious 'local' delights, music or atmosphere. It would be nice to have had a live band/music that reflected some Island music/vibe - even if it was Calypso or Soca that I understand is more from Trinidad. I believe St Lucia hosts a Jazz festival, so maybe some thing along those lines. ST Lucia had their Creole Festival the following day, which was a massive homage to food and heritage but there was no sign of this at the hotel itself, which is a shame I feel.

The pool area and beach once again boasted the most incredible, romantic, mystical views. There were complementary non-motorized water sports available and an enclosed area for snorkelling at the base of the Petit Piton. Incredible and safe! The beach is 'white sand' - imported from Trinidad but keeps us white beach seekers happy I suppose! The Coconut Man is a regular on the beach offering fresh coconut water, prepared in front of you and there are some local crafts and fruit seller to the one side of the beach. It is a careful balance I suppose to ensure the beach remains fairly exclusive to the guests as it is not extensive but my understanding is that all beaches are by law accessible to the public - they are just tricky to get to! Some local fishermen were casting their nets during the day over the week end which looked like it was causing some of the managers some concern. But contrary to upsetting any of the guests, everybody on the beach flocked to see the skilled 'spectacle'. The undersized fish (lobsters) and not needed fish were all placed back in the sea.

The staff were incredible and an absolute delight. I sincerely hope their efforts are acknowledged and rewarded - perfect balance of friendly, attentive but relaxed. The reservation and check in/out were straight forward and more than accommodating and helpful with any questions or concerns. Georg (General Manager) was so helpful and caring in his approach during the booking stage and checking on our arrival. We were significantly delayed due to Liat - be warned if using this airline as delays are frequent! I have never had the luxury of having a 'butler' to help so was delighted and reassured when our Butler Nyson was absolutely charming and attentive without being overbearing and happy to help with any bookings on site and off site. Our taxi driver Dave or 'Super Dave' as he likes to be known was an EXCELLENT host, flexible in approach and a safe driver, who could be booked through the butler service for trips out or transfers. I thoroughly recommend getting out of the hotel grounds to explore the area as it is truly a unique and beautiful place, not withstanding your support for the local people and communities. We climbed the Grand Piton with the help of a very patient and gifted guide called 'Mull' and went on a 'Soufriere Experience' which incorporated a volcanic mud bath (AMAZING for the skin - challenging on the nostrils!), waterfall, Diamond Botanical Gardens, mineral waters and waterfalls, a drive through Soufriere (not explored enough) and lastly Zip Lining at Morne Coubaril Estate. This estate also offers tours and dining experiences which looked very interesting. We were not adventurous enough to hire a car as the roads need some nerve, numerous stray dogs on/near the roads unfortunately and signage is limited so would recommend a good guide if you feel the same. Tips are gratefully received and very well deserved, especially for the 'guides' at the various locations. There are plenty of 1/2 and full day trip options on offer at the hotel both on land and sea - so go forth and explore. Failing the will to leave the resort, there is a great games/snooker room, ping pong table, kids area, very well kitted out gym, exercise classes on offer, a rainforest walk and a magical spa set up in huts on stilts in the forest.

Weather and small bitey things: Now it WAS the rainy season, so if travelling during this time, you just need to be aware and accept that you will get rain. We had a couple of wash out days, where we just chilled out and made use of the hotel facilities and bar obviously! There were mosquitos about but no where near the extent that we were expecting. The bed had a mosquito net and there were citronella candles to burn outside. We took advice from the forums and used Avon moisturiser and used spray as well. We came away with a few bites but nothing to rave about.

Jalousie is an incredibly romantic, beautiful and magical place to visit and St Lucia an Island that has endless exploring opportunities. We feel truly lucky to have had this experience. Thank you

Room Tip: Would choose a higher room if staying in the Sugar Mill - bright and sunny
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank star_one

Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review following your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We are very pleased to know that you had a fantastic holiday at our resort and that you enjoyed everything that we offered. Thank you especially for your comments about the menu and your recommendations on how we might improve in this area. Our Executive Chef has taken your comments onboard moving forward and future guests will certainly see more locally inspired dishes and produce featured.

Once again, thank you for your comments and recommendations. We hope to welcome you back to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort in the not too distant future.

André Boersma

Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!