“Pure Paradise”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Florida
“Pure Paradise”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I have been to many of the islands in the Caribbean and have never been more impressed than when we arrived at Sugar Beach. We were there for 6 days for Honeymoon the first week of November. My husband and I were so amazed we literally started planning a trip back only a few hours after our arrival. There is something surreal about being nestled in the rainforest with views of mountains on either side of you and a cotton candy sunset in front of you.

The service- the people are friendly and genuinely love their island. Everyone from the butlers, the bartenders, the buggie drivers, the spa hosts were so gracious and informative. It seemed like everyone actually enjoyed their jobs and was always smiling.

The food- I might be obsessed with the goat cheese and fruit here. Everything is super fresh and simply delicious. We had most our dinners at the Bayside which had a good variety, we did not get bored. They also serve yummy sushi in the Cane Room bar. Nigel the bartender at the Cane Room bar was wonderful. We weren't on a meal plan but did book a deal with free breakfast everyday. After 6 days of drinking like fish and eating perhaps a little too much we ended up a few hundred dollars less than if we would of done the meal plan. I actually found the prices for food and drink pretty on par with what we are used to in South Florida, but some might find it expensive depending on where you are coming from. We did the beach BBQ at the Bayside on Friday night and it was worth the $90 per person, but you should come hungry. They had tons of fresh sushi, a carving station, a ceviche bar, tons of sides and salads. We only ate at the Great Room( the nicer restaurant ) once mostly because we enjoyed the views at the Bayside better . At the Great room I had homemade pasta with rock shrimp which tasted like lobster, it was fantastic.

Amenities/views- the views can't be beat. Sorry Jade Mountain and Sandals but I think Sugar Beach kicks your butt in this category. Hanging out at the pool and looking up to the petite piton is breathtaking. There are a lot of free water activates that are fun. They have kayaks, paddle boards, hobbie cats, and snorkeling. A lot of the other hotels actually have snorkeling trips to Sugar Beach so it was nice to be able to just walk out and be right there. The property is also scattered with hammocks and hanging beds perfect for just lounging around. We were told the resort was at 90 percent capacity but it never felt crowded. We had no problem getting chairs at the pool or the beach any of the days. There are a bunch of different fitness classes you can take like yoga and Zumba but we opted for laying around.

The room- we were upgraded to a villa upon our arrival. We stayed in 507 and it spacious with great views of both pitons and the water.We used our plunge pool almost every day and had coffee in the morning on our patio. There was a huge double headed shower in our room and a large tub.The bathroom area was almost as big as the actual bedroom. If you stay in a villa you will have to call a buggie or van to take you down to the beach and main resort but we never had to wait more than a minute or two.

The Gros Piton- We climbed that sucker and it was HARD! I'm warning you now if you attempt it bring more water than you think you will drink and prepare to suffer. I'm a long distance runner and do cross fit on a regular basis and still struggled. It took us 3 and 1/2 up and down.

The Rainforest spa- we had a couples massage the day after our Piton hike. It was very relaxing getting massages in little huts in the jungle. At the end you get to take a dip in a heated rock pool right outside the hut. I don't think it gets better for spa ambience.

Other things to know- bring your bug spray and sunscreen. The bugs aren't horrible but you will get bit if you don't spray yourself. We just got in the habit of spraying before we went to dinner. The sun is also very intense here. I wore SPF 70 every day and still ended up very tan. One night you must go watch the sunset from the sunset deck by the fitness center. We brought a bottle of prosecco up with us and got some great pictures.

Sugar Beach is the one place I've traveled to so far that I can not wait to go back. If you can't enjoy yourself here there might be something wrong.

Room Tip: The 500 villas have they best views.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FL-Alyssa
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are pleased that your expectations were exceeded in all areas and that you had a wonderful time. We will share your glowing comments with the staff to let them know how much you enjoyed everything that we offered as well as the courtesies that were extended.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We would be delighted to welcome you back to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort soon.

André Boersma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
South Park, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

When our plane was 3 hours late and we were unable to find our accomodations in the dark, the staff at Sugar Beach helped us find suitable accomodations for the night. While we couldn't stay at Sugar Beach they were able to find us a room at La Haut and got us a good night sleep and a better start to our vacation the next morning. Thanks to the staff for being so friendly.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent travel experience. .

At Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, we treat every guest that we come across with kindness and always go the extra mile to help in whatever way we can.

I am delighted you were pleased with the arrangements that we assisted you with. With that being said, we hope that you will consider experiencing our resort, if you visit the island again.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

The location and view are AMAZING; that alone makes it worth the $, in my opinion. We have just returned from a week long vacation a couple of days ago - and while not perfect, I enjoyed it very much.
Like others have noted, the car ride to the resort is a steep and windy one. My youngest child was not able to keep his lunch down. We were all feeling the urge, if you get my drift. But once we arrived at Sugar Beach, we were greeted with smiling faces, cold towels, welcome drinks and plantain chips. I was too sick to enjoy them, but a nice gesture nonetheless.
We had a superior luxury room (802) with an amazing view & beautiful room/furnishings/finishes. The bed was comfortable. Highly recommend sleeping under your mosquito netting at night. While I was pleased with our room, a family member stayed down the hill in a sugar mill room which was not a luxury accommodation. The pain was bubbling up, there were stains on the walls, and the blinds were grubby.
The cart transfers on the resort were good. I think we waited about 20 minutes one time, but the rest of the pick ups were prompt.
The beach and the water were beautiful. Very calm. There are some steep drop offs on the ocean floor to be aware of if you are going with children. The pool was pretty, I'm just more of a beach person.
The staff were hit or miss. Some were very friendly, prompt, aimed to please. Others got the job done. And a couple of them were just plain rude.
Children - we brought our young children. While children are welcome at the resort, I felt like everyone expected them to attend the kid's club. My children did not attend, and subsequently spent all of their time right with us. If one of them cried for longer than a couple of seconds, there was a staff member present asking what was going on. One in particular came when my son cried for a minute on the beach. He showed up and said "he's crying". I responded that yes, he was upset that he couldn't play with our camera. The staff member countered "well why not?". I thought this was very rude and had to explain that it may break. To that, he just walked off. I understand that other guests don't spend a lot of money to come on vacation and hear my children upset the whole time. But, in a child friendly resort, there are going to be occasional upsets. I should mention that there were A LOT of children at the resort during our stay. I was surprised at the number of families with young kids. The resort tries to group families with little ones at the same time for dinner - which is a great idea. The 2 times that I requested a later dinner time because I sometimes found it hard to have everyone off of the beach and ready for dinner by 6:30 - I was told there was nothing available. So, we made it work.
Room service was excellent, food was good (some of my favorite actually), it costs an additional $18 delivery fee.
The restaurants were good. I'm a picky eater and admit that there wasn't much variety. But I'll own a portion of that. I always looked forward to breakfast. You can order off of the menu and go to the buffet. It had the most variety. The beach BBQ was expensive, especially if you don't eat meat (me). In general, the food presentation was great, but I felt like there wasn't much flavor once you bit in. My husband and I wondered whether or not this was due to the fact that we are from New Orleans and are used to the best food in the world.
Laundry - I had laundry done twice. I had to call several times on the day of our departure requesting my laundry back so that we could pack to leave. It arrived an hour before check out.
In conclusion, I couldn't dream up a more beautiful place. For that reason alone, I will always cherish our memories from Sugar Beach. I do think that the food and service could use a little improvement, but I wouldn't avoid this beautiful property because of this.

Room Tip: get up on the hill for the best views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank lalysn21
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We would like to apologize for the disappointments that you have highlighted. I am very concerned about your comments regarding the Sugar Mill Rooms. When we speak about accommodations at Sugar Beach, all are furnished with the same high quality amenities, plunge pools and butler service. The major differences are the square footage and location. We will investigate your comments to ensure that what you have described is not a maintenance oversight on our part.

The team members at Sugar Beach are normally highly praised by our guest for the high quality of service that they offer. I am sorry that you received varying service quality as all of them are trained to deliver service at the same high standard. We will continue training in that area to ensure that all our staffs are delivering the best possible service to our guests.

I am sure that your server meant well when he questioned about why the baby was crying, I am also sorry if the message was brought across in the wrong manner.

We trust that apart from the disappointments that you highlighted you enjoyed the time that you spent with us.

Once again, thank you for your comments, business and recommendations. We look forward to your return visit to serve you in light of your concerns.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The trip from the airport by car is quite long and the road is winy, so, as other reviewers notice, it can make you car sick. But I guess it is the only option. I heard you can go by boat, but boat trip is much more money, and again one can get sea sick if the ocean is rough. Otherwise it is probably the only resort in the Caribbean I've been to where not just the ocean is beautiful. The views at this resort are stunning. We were in a luxury villa in the 800s row. As other reviewers are saying views vary depending on which villa you have. There were no ocean views from ours, but great views of both Petit and Gros Pitons. The splurge pool was really on a small size, the size of a hot tub really. But I know some other villas have larger pools if you care for one. We are beach people and we enjoyed the beach a lot. Never too crowded, calm waters that I love, and fantastic views again. Offer of refreshments was spotty. One day we would be offered something like a sorber, but other days there were no refreshments at all. However beach service was quite efficient with their flag policy.
The food was one of the best I've ever had in a Caribbean resort in both restaurants. However the service tended to be slow, especially at the beach restaurant. One night it took them two hours to serve us dinner without desserts. I heard other people complaining about the service too. Some of them were with small children, and I know it is not always easy to wait for your meal to be served when you are with small kids. However, I have to mention that during one week of our stay service has improved towards the end. I've got an impression that this resort is listening and acting on the spot to bring their services to its best.
Most reviewers are right about the villas. Yes, they are some of the best accommodation you can get at a Caribbean resort. They are stylish, large and very comfortable. I know that Jade Mountain ranks higher on Trip Adviser among Soufriere resorts, but we took a boat to go on a fishing trip and I saw it from the sea and Jade Mountain has too much stone and concrete to my liking. Sugar Beach blends in way better with the surrounding landscape that I really appreciate. And Sugar Beach does have the most comfortable beds. I am even thinking of ordering one for my home since I had the best sleep ever while at SB.
The fishing trip was rather disappointing. We caught a barracuda, and that was it. I am not sure if St. Lucia is such a great fishing spot, but I had a feeling that the guys who took us fishing did not really care if we catch anything or not. You can kind of always tell if those people make an effort to find a good fishing spot or if they just ride their boat for the four hours that you charter them.
The Spa is good and beautiful, but the whole idea of tree houses was not new to me. It is quite similar to the spa at Four Seasons, Ko Samui in Thailand. I found that spa better still and bigger.
I know many reviewer praise the butler service at SB. Our butlers were OK. However the few resorts with butler service that I visited did not make me appreciate it. To me, it is an unnecessary leg between a guest and a good concierge service, and sometimes even causes miscommunication. And since you are assigned a butler(s) anyway at butler services hotels you feel you have to tip them at the end anyway regardless of much you needed them during your trip if at all.

Room Tip: definitely the villas vs rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Victoria D
Good day,

Thank you for sharing your Sugar Beach experience with us.

I would like to apologize for the slow service that you experienced at the Bayside restaurant. We are currently looking at ways to improve the service in that area.

I am sorry that you felt the hosts of the fishing trip you took did not care about your fishing experience. We will share your concerns with them to ensure that they do not give our guests the wrong impression and provide them with an amazing experience.

Our guests usually appreciate the service that their butlers provide. They are at the service of our guests to make dinner and spa arrangements, book excursions, service your room daily and to fulfill any other requests that might arise. I understand that this service was not important to you so we appreciate your comments in this regard.

Apart from the concerns that you highlighted, we trust that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for acknowledging the natural beauty of Sugar Beach compared to our competitors.

Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We look forward to your return visit.

London England
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Everything about this resort is World Class. It is sandwiched between the UNESCO Vale De Pitons, surrounded by rainforest and has a top notch beach to complete the picture. It takes your breath away every time you step outside your room.

Food and drink is pricey but they throw in lots for your money including tennis, gym, watersports, a butler service, Ipad and free Wifi and best of all friendly staff to cater to your every need.

Book a Sugar Mill room for maximum value and proximity to the best bits of the resort. I promise you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Sugar Mill or Beach Bungalow
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank sheffieldtoddy
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We are so pleased that you truly enjoyed your stay and everything that we offered. The top-notch services, facilities, amenities, accommodations and quality dining experiences that we offer to our guests definitely put us in a very high position in this industry.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we are looking forward to your return visit.

St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Sugar Beach resort. We were looking for a luxurious, relaxing stay in beautiful surroundings and that is exactly what we got!

The location was stunning - a long white sandy beach nestled between the two breathtaking peaks of the Piton mountains against a backdrop of lush private gardens. The little touches, such as lanterns hanging from the trees, driftwood railings, hammocks and real flame torches/beacons lighting your path down to dinner, made it all the more atmospheric.

We have never been so impressed with the service at a resort. The staff were exceptional and nothing was too much trouble. They managed to balance professionalism and friendliness perfectly and everyone was so lovely to our 20-month old daughter. For example, they gave us bread to feed the fish from the jetty every morning and our butlers, Peter in particular, listened intently as she described her day ("dolphins..whales.. fish..eat..bread…swimming"!)

The playroom was a great facility and we really appreciated the fact that our daughter's food was free during our stay.

We booked the lowest level room (Sugar Mill room) but we were upgraded to a luxury villa on arrival. The villa was really nicely done with dark wooden floors, crisp white linen, lovely local art on the walls, a very comfy four-poster bed, a standalone roll-top bath, his and hers sinks, a big walk-in shower, a private terrace with two swinging seats and a dining area, an over-sized plunge pool… all of which we welcomed! The only drawback was that this meant that we had to get a 'golf buggy' down the hill to all the facilities every day (reception, breakfast terrace, beach, pool, restaurants are about a 5 minute drive). We hardly ever waited more than a couple of minutes for one and our daughter loved getting the 'tractors' but it was a bit of a bind if you forgot something! Just something to bear in mind if you're travelling with young children, perhaps, or less mobile people.

The only real negative were the mosquitoes and sand flies because (however much I spray myself) I always get bitten! The hotel did provide nets over the beds and citronella candles etc to try and keep them at bay, however.

Some suggestions:
- Electric shuttles might be better than 'golf buggies' which were a bit noisy and let off heat fumes
- We would have appreciated another restaurant/food option during the day and some more simple menu options (the children's menu had a delicious spaghetti bolognese which wasn't offered on the full menu for example)
- A wider selection of bar food in the Cane Bar (only sushi)
- A simple BBQ buffet that's part of the menu as opposed to a big ticket evening (it was USD90 per person).

In summary, we would definitely recommend the Sugar Beach hotel (in fact we already have) and we hope to return in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sashcroft
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We are elated to hear that your holiday was near perfect and that the courtesies and services extended by our staff helped to enhance your stay. We are pleased to know that you appreciated the room upgrade.

I would like to apologize for the discomfort caused by the mosquitoes. We do undertake extensive property-wide fogging in an effort to control these pests, but unfortunately, our tropical climate and rainforest surroundings make it difficult to eradicate them completely.

Thank you for your recommendations about the electrical buggies. We have tested these vehicles on our roads, but sadly, they are simply not powerful enough to navigate our mountainous terrain. With that being said, we are continuing to look for ways to enhance our transportation system.

Once again, thank you for your comments, business and recommendations. We are looking forward to your return visit.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We got married at Sugar Beach in July and it was a magical week. The landscape and views of this resort cannot be matched.
We were welcomed immediately in the reception area. I think our room wasn't quite ready for us, so we sat down and had a complimentary drink while we waited. The butlers were everywhere and ready to help you with any request. We are pretty low maintenance people and keep to ourselves, but the minute we needed something, they were on it. The food is delicious in every restaurant. We ate a giant breakfast every morning and didn't even need lunch. Once we splurged and got lunch on the beach, they bring it right to your lounge chair.
Shantal was our wedding coordinator and she was fabulous and extremely professional. I didn't want to do any planning or worry about any details, and she took care of everything for me and got me everything that I asked for. Everything was timed and planned perfectly. She arranged for my sisters, my mother and I to get ready in the spa. We were then married on the beach followed by a private sail on a catamaran. The crew on the boat made it such a fun time. When we docked we had dinner up on the cane bar terrace with a steel band. It was so perfect. Our family and friends all had a fantastic time.
The morning after the wedding we got the couples massage at the spa. They give you the royal treatment. It is so much fun going into the spa and the staff there are so accommodating.
Everything is extremely pricey, but everything has to be imported, so you have to expect that when you go there. I think the all inclusive option may have been a good idea, we didn't choose that option only because our wedding dinner would not have been included. We also had our rehearsal dinner at Dasheene-also fabulous! It is a 20 minute cab ride to the Ladera resort (at the top of the mountain). The view was unbelievable. I chose to stay at Sugar Beach over Ladera because Sugar Beach is on the water, but Ladera looked like a wonderful place to stay too.
We were in the sugar mill which was beautiful. Our room was two floors with high vaulted ceilings and a giant patio. We spent every evening on the patio. The sugar mill is right in the middle of the resort so you don't have to use the buggies to get anywhere.
I got eaten alive by bugs despite about 5 types of bug spray, so be careful about that.
I would love to go back to Sugar Beach some day, maybe for an anniversary.

Room Tip: We were in Sugar Mill 11, great location for getting to the beach and the restaurants easily. Absol...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank srg106
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your wedding at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We are proud to hear that your wedding was all that you dreamed it would be and that Shantal in particular went the extra mile to ensure that everything was perfect for your special day. Our team members will be very happy with your feedback. We will commend them for a job well done.

We are also delighted that you enjoyed our facilities, accommodations, culinary offering and everything else that we offered and that your family had a great experience as well.

Once again, thank you for choosing Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort to celebrate this special occasion. We are looking forward to your return visit, perhaps for your first wedding anniversary.

André Boersma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!