“Gorgeous place... Menu a little limited”

Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

To start the place I cannot fault it. The staff always greeted us with a smile and were very welcoming. We were greeted with drinks and shown to our villa. It was very clean and modern. The bed was very comfy and the view was lovely! The private pool was not heated and we were shaded so it wasn't ever used! But still lovely. We very rarely spent much time in the villa with the beach being so nice and quiet so it wasn't much of an issue. The beach is very clean and the sea is so warm. The snorkels are free and highly recommended, the bay is stunning to snorkel (bring an underwater camera)... And the waiter service was exceptional. The only con was a) it cost us a little over £7k but it was worth all inclusive if you are not leaving the resort b) the food menu is the same every day (3 things change every 2/3 days) which is ok for a few days but after that you find yourself eating the same stuff.
We really enjoyed it as our main honeymoon holiday and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank allsweettreats
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Good day,
Thank you for choosing Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort for your honeymoon.
We are glad to hear that everything was fantastic and that the staff provided exceptional service.
I am sorry that you grew tired of our culinary offerings. Had you voiced your concerns in that area, our executive chef would have been more than happy to prepare additional dishes to your satisfaction.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We hope to welcome you back to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort soon.

André Boersma

Write a ReviewReviews (1,428)

Reviewed 11 April 2014

A beautiful setting, pool, beach and views etc. Had dinner here and it was fabulous. Fantastic service, delicious food. Great pool area, secluded golden beach cove. Everything is perfect. Wished we could have stayed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank C M
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your visit to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are glad that you had the opportunity to experience Sugar Beach and that you enjoyed our facilities, amenities and service.
We hope to welcome you back next time as a resident guest.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

My husband and I have just returned from a week long trip to Sugar Beach in St Lucia. It was from start to finish just magical. Our holidays are usually fairly active, but in this instance we wanted pure relaxation. No destination could have been better.

On arrival we were taken straight to our villa #705. This was an upgrade from one the luxury Sugar Mill rooms - which was a treat! The views were magnificent. The resort is right between the two pitons and they felt so close you could almost touch them.

The villa was very tastefully done. There was a huge walk-in wardrobe area and a massive bathroom. All the furnishings were to a high standard.

You had to take a shuttle to go to the restaurants and beach. This was never a problem though. They arrived promptly and in any event, there is no need to rush!

The beach is lovely and we relaxed there on most days. While not a fault of the hotel, I was eaten alive by what I suspect was sea lice (or some such thing) in the water. Unfortunately, nothing could be done about that.

We had a couple of massages which were just divine. I would thoroughly recommend them (especially the couple massage).

The service was always friendly, but could be a bit slow. Having said that, the holiday wasn't about rushing so it never bothered us at all. The food was fine. The quality could be better and I was disappointed there were few salad/light options. The Great Room food was by far the best, but this was a more formal setting. My only bad meal was the truffle pasta at the Bayside restaurant which was not pleasant. Everything else was fine.

We asked for a late check-out. We were fortunate to be given this (at a cost), but did have to move villas.

It was just a wonderful holiday and we felt very taken care of by the staff: a big thank you to them for a truly wonderful holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed in villa #705 and thought it was the perfect location for a couple. The views were magnif...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MissWisteria

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feelings about the standards and quality of service provided at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
On behalf of the entire team I would like to say how delighted we are that we met and exceeded your high expectations in all areas.
We are committed to making your holiday experience fulfilling and memorable by providing first class services and amenities.
I will communicate your feedback to the entire team and commend them for a job well done.

Once again, thank you for your very valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future

Reviewed 10 April 2014

We spent five days at this wonderful resort. Our room was gorgeous and very spacious, and our butler Gus was very helpful and attentive. The food at the restaurants was delicious and offered a lot of variety. The only drawback of this resort is that you cannot walk to the beach, the pool, and the restaurants from most of the rooms. With that said, the shuttle service is very efficient. Would definitely recommend this resort to others.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dcpanda

Good day,

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to write this very useful review about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit and that the courtesies and services you experienced positively contributed to a relaxing vacation.

Please know that your comments and your business have been greatly appreciated.

On behalf of the entire team, we all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Stop reading all the picky reviews and just book it! We read every review and went back and forth over where to spend our 15th anniversary. Sugar Beach is amazing!!!!!! We stayed Sep 2013 for 7 days. Well worth every penny. Quiet, private, lovely, and breathtaking. We stayed in a villa with gorgeous views, private pool, outdoor shower. Our butler was so kind, thoughtful and met our every need. Actually, every person who served us at the resort was exceptional. I thought I would not like the shuttles driving us up and down the mountain but it really was not an issue. The spa is one of the best I have ever visited (and I have been to many all over). The sauna is an experience. Comfortable beds, great food, thoughtful fruit basket, note and champagne on our anniversary. We were going to primarily relax, unwind and unplug. It was perfection. At many points on our trip there were only a few other couples on the beach. We snorkeled each day, hiked the Piton, kayaked and just sat on the beach and enjoyed the sunsets. We ventured out one night to go to dinner at Jade Mountain....big mistake-although the view is stunning, the food was terrible and the decor was low end-we couldn't understand why it's rated so high. We could not get back to Sugar Beach fast enough. Now after 5 days or so you can start knit picking things, that's at any resort. But all in all it was the perfect vacation if your looking for quiet, romantic, chic and relaxing this is the place. We will definitely return as soon as we can. Just book it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Katieplus3

Good day,

We are happy you chose Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort as the destination for your vacation.

It is a real pleasure to learn you had a memorable stay for all the right reasons.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

What a beautiful resort! Nestled in the hillside overlooking beautiful blue waters with the majestic Pitons on either side. The rooms are gorgeous and each come with it's own private pool and your own personal butler. We had Monty and he was awesome! The grounds are immaculate and lush. If you really like exercise you can walk the hills to and from your room, but be warned they are steep. The ever present motorized rickshaws are a good way to get around if walking isn't an option - like when you're dressed up and wearing heels. The beach is pristine and we never had a problem getting chairs under the thatched umbrellas. The one thing you will hear from the minute you arrive on the island though is "now you're on island time". This means things move at a much slower pace. So I won't say service is lacking but consistently slower than what you might be accustomed to in the states. The snorkeling to the right of the beach is nice. Lots of rocks and plenty of diversity and color and so convenient. The restaurants on the property are very pricey for the amount of food you get. Drinks are also very pricey. Glass of Pinot will run you $20 and up. The one aspect that can be a downside or an upside - depending on what you're looking for - is the isolation of this resort. It's great for the first couple of days but then we wanted to explore and see the rest of the island. Taxis are extremely expensive and you are pretty far from everything. Airport is a good hour. Castries where night life and casinos are is about 1 1/2 hours and about $150 cab fare. Roads are twisty and hilly - several in our group were car sick. We did take a couple of planned excursions. One was to the drive through volcano. Not what you think it is. It's more like a caldera and you just see the barren area where the steam vents are. Pretty smelly too. The one thing we like the most was the Tet Paul Nature Trail. Not too far away and really gives you a feel for the plants and farms and an absolutely stunning view of the island interior and Pitons.

The resort has something going on every night. Whether it's a Raggae band at the Beach bar or a Saxophone player serenading you during dinner to black and white dance party at the Cane Bar ( which has some awesome sushi ). The Friday night Beach BBQ is off the hook. There's so much food you could sit there all night and never try it all. It's all super delish!

The spa is fabulous!! It's tucked away among Banyon trees in the rainforest. It's seductive and unique and utterly tranquil.

This island is still relatively undeveloped. There is a tremendous amount of poverty. But the people are warm and welcoming. And Sugar Beach is the cream of the resorts on the island. But bring your wallet because this is not an economy trip.

Room Tip: You either get a room with a view of the Pitons or a view of the ocean - so if you care you might wa...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank merkatwoman

Good Day,
Thank you for making the effort to share your comments about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are gratified to learn that your overall expectations were met and, in many instances, exceeded and that you had a wonderful holiday.
We genuinely care about each and every guest experience. We work hard to ensure that the services and product we deliver enhance every stay.
Thank you for your feedback and we are looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

ARRIVAL

My wife and I travel lite: One carry-on each. When you sit at the front of the plane and do not wait on checked luggage, you can clear passport control and customs remarkably quickly. But, notwithstanding our speed through customs, the driver, arranged by Sugar Beach, was waiting with a little sign welcoming us to St. Lucia. We were at the resort in less than an hour from wheels down.

We were driven directly to our room, where one of our butlers was waiting with a welcome cocktail. He did an excellent job of running through the room amenities, and how to get ahold of him if we needed anything.

ROOMS

Speaking of rooms, the only rooms worth considering are the beach bungalows--but that is just me, I am told. But even though there are only nine bungalows, I still have some counsel. If you want more privacy, choose a bungalow numbered 17 or higher. If you want to watch the beach scene, and be on the beach server's normal route, choose a bungalow 16 or lower. The higher numbered beach bungalows have unobstructed views of the Caribbean Sea, the ones number 16 and under look through the thatched shade umbrellas and lounge chairs. We have done both and we're delighted with each.

We have to give kudos to the resort management for selecting the bungalows for us. During our last visit, I was three months post-double-craniotomies following a collision between my head and a moving car. We had asked for a quieter room, because I was still sleeping 12 or so hours a day. This trip we asked for a room closer to the beach service. And we were put into the perfect room both times.

An excellent touch by Sugar Beach is a Nespresso machine in each room (note to room service staff, espresso cups would be an appropriate touch--espresso out an American style coffee mug is, as the kids would say, just wrong).

One nice feature in the rooms is an iPad. It is set up to facilitate reservations to the Spa, water sports, tours, and the like. But normal browser functions are available and the Wi-Fi was as good as I have enjoyed anywhere. If you don't need your work files and just want to glance at web mail now and then, you can take another two pounds out of you luggage.

A creative solution the designers came up with for the Beach Bungalows is the TV. The TV? Yes. It is housed in a "hope chest" which electrically raises and lowers it. Lying in bed, you have the choice of looking at the scenery or watching TV.

We have never seen the rooms up the hill, but I understand that many are larger than the Beach Bungalows. I also hear that they have little infinity plunge pools and dramatic views. I don't mean to imply that the Beach Bungalows are small. I paced it off and guesstimate the Beach Bungalows are about 700 square feet of enclosed space, plus about 400 feet of space in the courtyard and thatched roof area. There is a jacuzzi in the courtyard area. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate both a room with a view and a room on the sand. We split ten days between Sugar Beach and Jade Mountain on this trip--room on the sand at Sugar, and the most spectacular view I have ever seen at Jade.

KIDS

It seemed like the kids were probably staying up the hill and not in the Beach Bungalows. I wanted to bring up kids, because the last time we were here in January, I do not recall seeing any. There were a larger number of kids than we anticipated. Anyone looking for an all-adult resort should look elsewhere. Most meals were complimented by one or two untrained parents allowing their children to screech as only a three-year old can. One evening, we both enjoyed the same subtle urge-to-go-elsewhere as we approached the Bayside Restaurant and were serenaded by the melodic sounds of a kindergarten. On our final night we had the misfortune to be seated next to a weaponized three-year old who enjoyed flinging cutlery. Amazingly the parents would reload as projectiles were launched. It is difficult to enjoy a meal while on guard against flying forks. Sugar Beach should establish a children's area in its restaurants.

FOOD

In my prior review, I expressed a bit of disappointment in the food. The General Manager responded that he had taken steps to improve the variety. A side by side comparison from memory is hard to accomplish, but my overall impression was that the GM is justified in taking credit for improving the variety, quality, and presentation of food. Occasionally, we were extremely impressed with both the creativity of flavor combinations, and the artistry of the presentation. Although, there were some disappointments. I ordered a pizza once and it was essentially flatbread covered with thick melted cheese.

A combo Rum/Sushi Bar is now available. We stopped-in our second night after dinner. Other than three rum experts who were ready to serve us, we were the only ones visiting that evening. Sushi Bar might be a bit of a misnomer since the provisions and preparation are out of sight and not at the bar itself.

Notwithstanding all of the above, the food at Sugar Beach comes to where close to the world clas fare at Jade Mountain.

SPA

If you are a spa hound, then skip this part of my review. We consume spa services only two or three times a year, and we have never selected a resort based on its spa reputation. But in our opinion the spa at Sugar Beach is uniquely charming. The facility is in a series of "treehouses" beautifully connected through the treetops of a rain forest with bubbling streams flowing below. If you are looking for a marble palace with all of the amenities, you might not be satisfied. But if a you want to try a relaxing massage in a beautiful natural setting, we can unhesitatingly recommend the Sugar Beach Spa.

SPECIAL MENTION FOR VANESSA, PAUL, FABIAN, MACKENZIE, LUCITA

Vanessa and Paul were attentive bringing our beach refreshments. Fabian and Mackenzie took care of our needs, making sure the jacuzzi was heated and bubbling for our after dinner soaks, and even putting a couple of espresso cups in the room. Lucita performed an especially relaxing massage in the Spa.

THREE CARD MONTY

Our first night when we walked into the Bayside Restaurant we were immediately informed that there was an UP-CHARGE, because they were having a barbecue--a delightfully charmed greeting. I was mildly aggravated that we had not been advised of the UP-CHARGE when we made the reservation we were required to make at the time we had booked the all-inclusive option. During our entire stay, we never saw a reference to the barbecue marked with the asterisk we were advised to be on guard for. I decided to ignore the nickel and dime ruse rather than spoil an otherwise good first day.

But my aggravation was yet to reach its peak. We sit down and we are further advised that only one drink each, of a two drink option, was included with the barbecue. If we wanted other drinks they might be purchased off of a drink menu. I was now fully aggravated, but each time I asked for clarification, emphasizing that we had purchased the all-inclusive option, I was confronted with a but--but with the barbecue you only get one drink. After round and round, it was finally disclosed that any drink without an asterisk on the drink menu could be ordered without charge. I have taken a picture of the first page of the drink menu to give you a feel for what is included with your "ALL-INCLUSIVE" option, verses what is charged (the drinks with asterisks are charged). Ignoring the training issue with our server, when I stack the failure to disclose the dinner "UP-CHARGE" on top of the deceptive "ALL-INCLUSIVE" drink options, a formerly relaxed vacationer was made wary.

I asked to speak to a manager. The first gentleman, whose title and responsibility I failed to identify, simply giggled at our predicament. I made my outrage at his attitude clear. He then sent the "Bayside Restaurant Manager" who, although polite and formal, was clear that he could care less whether we were satisfied with the "Sugar Beach" experience. Finally, a gentleman calling himself the Duty Manager came over and actually listened to our issues. He had no response to why we were not advised in advance of the up-charges when we had made our plans months prior to our arrival. He promised to research the question and get back to me. If you guessed that his promise was unfulfilled, you guessed correctly.

We bought the "ALL-INCLUSIVE" option to create a "no think" vacation. The option should not be entitled "all-inclusive," since it decidedly is not. I knew that some menu items would have an up-charge. But being naïve, I suppose, I anticipated Piper Heidsieck Champaign to be an up-charge, but not a "Passion Fruit Margarita." Actually, it wasn't my naïveté at all, it was the blatant misrepresentation of Sugar Beach with the drinks menu posted on their web site. Sugar Beach's online drinks menu shows that the ONLY drink with an up-charge is a 200 ml glass of Piper Heidsieck Brut.

The correct name should be the "UP-CHARGE" option. My impression of Sugar Beach's "all-inclusive" option is that it is designed solely to generate UP-CHARGE revenue. Instead of a "no think" vacation, we were signed-up for the "defrauded and stuck" vacation. When I feel tricked, I cannot give more than a one star rating.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
41  Thank Kerwin G
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Good day,

I have read your TripAdvisor review outlining your experience at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

Reviews such as yours always cause concern as we genuinely wish to fully understand the issues you encountered so that we can make changes that improve the overall experience for our guests and prevent the same mistakes from happening again.

As you were a second time visitor to Sugar Beach your feedback is particularly important to us.

In the first instance, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your very high expectations in the area of Food and Beverage. I am truly sorry that the issues you described were not resolved to your satisfaction while you were on property—this is the way in which we normally handle concerns and it appears this was not the case for you.

The experience that you have described in the Bayside restaurant is not in line with the very high standards that we have installed at the resort. I am disappointed that you felt our supervisory and management teams failed to respond to your concerns in an appropriate way. I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Looking specifically at the Bayside Bar drinks menu, you are quite right in that Champagne is listed on the web site as the only drink with an asterisk served at this outlet. Unfortunately, when we updated the drinks list at the hotel, the asterisk was mistakenly placed beside numerous more drinks. Rest assured, we have already taken action to have this matter rectified.

We also completely take your point about information pertaining to the All-Inclusive Meal Plan provided to guests on check-in. We have updated this document to include information about the supplemental charge for the Friday Night BBQ for those on meal plans and to more fully explain what is included and what is not included on the plan. I sincerely apologise that this information was not communicated to you prior to your booking a table at the Bayside for this special evening.

I am also at a loss to understand the breakdown in communication at the time you made your initial booking. It is standard procedure for our reservations team to provide information pertaining to the meal plan with confirmation of your booking. Again, I am sorry if this process was not followed through from the individual involved and I will be discussing this with the relevant department head.

I have followed up with the duty manager that you shared your concerns with at the Friday BBQ and have been informed that the supplementary charges posted to your account were removed right away. In fact, we have undertaken a full audit of your account and can confirm that no supplements were charged for the duration of your stay.

I can understand that you felt your concerns were not properly addressed while you were at the resort, but I can assure you that our team did everything possible to rectify the situation and to find a solution that you should have been happy with.

We trust that the issues described have not left an indelible mark and hope to welcome you back to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort in the not too distant future.

Your business and feedback are truly appreciated.

André Boersma

Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#5 of 11 in Soufriere
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!