“Beautiful Honeymoon and Resort!”

Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
“Beautiful Honeymoon and Resort!”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We just got back from our honeymoon at Sugar Beach May 3-11, 2014. We could not have picked a better resort to go to. We were picked up via a private car and taken straight to our villa. We didn't even have to go check in at the reception office, our butler took care of everything before we arrived! We stayed in Villa 801 with three butlers (Gus, McKale, and Jose). They were great and helped setup everything we wanted to do during the week. When we first arrived in the villa they had plantain chips, fruit from the island and special made drinks for us. We thought this was really nice! Our room was spectacular, bright,clean and simple and the bathrooms are amazing! The views no matter where you stay are just breathtaking. Please keep in mind though, these villas are in a rain forest/jungle, so there will be frogs, insects and many leaves falling. One can not stop mother nature from happening. Our butler went over everything with us in regards to the two cell phones you get to use all over the property as well as the custom ipad you have in the room. He also made reservations for us down at the beach bay side restaurant. Which is like something out of a magazine! With the water right there and the fire torches going, it is certainly beautiful! The rest of the week was amazing as well!
Some suggestions for your trip:
1. The rain forest spa is a must! We are a spa couple and this is certainly a spa that is well worth the money and experience. We felt like we had the whole spa to ourselves!
2. Go do the mud sulfur baths. It sounds weird, but it is def. an experience and wonderful for your skin! Just ask the locals, a lot of them go many times during the week.
3. We did the Piton hike! We are both young (25 & 26) and in really good shape and this still kicked our butts. My wife runs half marathons and marathons and she said this was probably just as hard if not harder. However we highly suggest doing it! Make sure to take it as slow as you want. If it takes you all day then so be it, because in the end you can tell everyone you climbed that! The views are stunning and you feel so great about your self when you reach the top!
4. Try the green buggies tour! This is where you drive around green go carts all around the island. It was amazing and we had the best guide named Thomas. He went above and beyond what he was suppose to show us. This was, to be honest, was our favorite tour on the entire honeymoon, we learned so much about the locals, the fruit on the island, and the island it self.
5. Go to the beach and just relax under the beautiful huts and enjoy the great service. Don't forget about snorkeling right there on the beach, we saw some amazing beautiful fish and coral reefs.

The food here is really good. We went all inclusive and that was so worth it! We did not have to worry about paying or anything like that. We def. suggest all inclusive!
Do not worry about the steepness of the resort, the tuk tuks ( which are the carts that take you around the resort) are everywhere and we hardly ever had to wait, plus they are really neat looking and fun to ride in.

This is certainly a phenomenal 5 star hotel and well worth the money, you will not regret it!

My only suggestion for the hotel is that they might need to clean up the landscape around the pond at the terrace restaurant. I know they are trying to keep it like you would see in the rain forest however it kind of looked un kept. I know this is kind of random but it is always about the smaller details that make a place great! Just a suggestion.

Thanks for a fabulous honeymoon and we can not wait to return with family and friends!
-Amanda & Ryan-

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ryan B
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Good day,
We are pleased that your honeymoon was everything that you hoped it would be.
Our butlers, really do try their utmost to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay in the most relaxing manner. I am delighted to that they provided special touches that enhanced your experience. I’ll be sure to commend them for a job well done.
Once again thank you for your comments, suggestions and business. We are looking forward to seeing you again at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

André Boersma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, England
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Few hotels engender such extremes in opinion as this spectacularly located hotel/resort squeezed between the iconic Pitons. I come out on the side of those who enjoyed a spectacular two week holiday with my family at a resort - when it is finished - will be every bit as iconic as those two bookend volcanoes. Let's start with the basics, the old sugar plantation is a matured garden to delight in, with a great house to house breakfast dinner and events. The three villas our party occupied were pure luxury, each one with its own plunge pool, view of the bay and the foliage occupied and owned by the humming birds and other exotica who have been there longer than any of us. The old villas are being rebuilt and, consequently, there is minor disruption and added traffic on the steep, steep roads. Is that a concern? Not at all, they were, I admit, too steep for me but I was rarely left for longer than a few minutes by the outstanding team of drivers. They and the "butlers" , the guys and girls who cater to (almost) your every need, are charming, helpful and desperate for you to enjoy every minute.You even have the use of "fireflys" on which you can contact your room partner, the hotel and any of their staff to order up a tuk-tuk or an extra Piton beer for the room. The staff in the two restaurants are also well trained, professional but never in your face while at breakfast the staff are not always as interested but, for the most time, get there in the end.
The food is outstanding in both the Great Room and the Bayside Restaurant, with its tables lapped by the Caribbean and its adjoining bar which is so underused we couldn't believe it as we luxuriated in our rum based cocktails or local beers.
On the downside it is expensive but it is a five star hotel and five star hotels are expensive. The big question is whether it gave value and the answer was always an emphatic yes.
I have to agree with Clare( see recent review) that the introduction of 91 visitors from the USA caused some disruption to our plans and we, the guests in general) were not told officially until the eve of their arrival. I, for one, was cross but it was quickly realised by the management team headed up by the resident manager Georg Unseld that an error had been made but it must be pointed out that apart from taking over the bar and the restaurants for two sessions, they were never rowdy nor intrusive. I guess that, until the resort grows, that sort of number will not happen again.
Any complaints we may have had - and there weren't many - was dispelled when, on our last night,Executive Chef Jacques Chretien hosted the family to a Caribbean bar-b-q in a Cabana by the poolside. Bliss. Our chef and his waitress were outstanding.
I notice other complaints over the weeks came from people visiting the historic site and the world class diving area and finding access difficult and the beachside beds expensive. The beach, like every beach in St Lucia, is public but the hotel necessarily protects its paying guests and as one of those they earned my applause.
Four stars this year because of the ongoing development and the 91 strong party but I guess that when I return it will be an undoubted five.

Room Tip: Villas in the 700's - worth the price for the view alone!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank thewriter
Good day
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and everything that we offered with the exception of the concern that you shared regarding the group. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.
We are happy that Chef Jacques and his team took really good care of you and that you thoroughly enjoyed your private BBQ dinner. The team will be very happy with your comments.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and business. We are looking forward to your return visit.

Snowmass Village, Colorado
Reviewed 22 May 2014

It really doesn't get any better. Perfect location, stunning private Caribbean setting with warm English-speaking culture. World-class diving, killer new French Chef. Best accommodations on the island, period.

• Stayed May 2014
Good day,
Thank you for your wonderful comments.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
Once again, thank you for your positive comments and business.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Poor. Small resort and a corporate event involving 90 people was running. No advanced warning. The group completely dominated the time we were there. All our restaurant reservations were cancelled. Expensive, a wee bit tired, poor and often uninterested service (butlers and drivers excepted) left me a little cold. Asked to feedback to GM but told he was "off island" - saw him 10 minutes later in the restaurant. BE WARNED - this is a small resort and they have big groups so you can feel like a minority at times being told you only have one place to eat. We moved to the Hotel Boucan and it is cheaper and in a different league.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank ClareKennedy
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Good day,
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I would like to apologize for the experience that you have described and for the disruption you encountered due to a group event at the hotel. I am truly sorry you felt you were treated poorly.
I would also like to take the opportunity to let you know that I was indeed away from the island attending a business event in London at the time you requested to speak with me. You may have mistaken the Resident Manager or our Food & Beverage Director for me. As the General Manager of this resort, my guests are priority and I make every effort to listen to their concerns. I am sorry that I did not get the opportunity to meet with you during your stay.
I know that you had the opportunity to relate your experience to our Guest Relations Manager who shared your concerns with the management team, including myself.
There was only on one occasion, May 19th, that two dining options were available—Bayside Restaurant and Room Service—with the Great Room and Cane Bar booked for the group. Apart from that date, all dining options were available to our guests. I am sorry if your dining plans were disrupted on the evening in question and would like to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this caused.
Once again, thank you for your business and feedback. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again and ensure a flawless Sugar Beach stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and i just returned from a week long stay and overall, taking into consideration the $, i would rate this hotel very average and i would not recommend friends or family to stay. Firstly the positives, the location of this hotel between the pitons is fantastic and the view from the beach and pool area is magnificent. We also has 3 wonderful butlers who worked tirelessly to make our stay a great one. However, if i was to summarise my complaint with the rest of the hotel it would be that considering the $, the service (with the exception of the butlers) is poor, the food is average and overpriced, the villas are comfortable but not amazing. Regarding the service, i actually found it to not only be poor but also unwelcoming and we were grateful for the opportunity to leave the resort to try 2 local restaurants where the welcome was warm and the food was the best we ate all week. The hotel is basically priced like a Four Seasons resort but it's not even close to the quality. I do feel a little bit ridiculous for being critical of a resort that is clearly in many ways wonderful (and has the potential to do much better) but i have stayed in better equivalent resorts and my stay at Sugar Beach was distinctly underwhelming.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Neddy13
Good day,
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am sorry to hear of the experience and disappointments that you have described. We continually strive to create great experiences for our guests and memorable moment that they will cherish for all the right reasons. In your cause, it is clear that we failed to meet your expectations and for that I am truly sorry.
Your feedback has been discussed with the relevant department heads and we are reviewing our service standards to ensure a consistent luxury experience for all of our guests. Training initiatives will be introduced where required to refresh these standard with our team members.
I trust that the issues you experienced have not left an indelible mark and that you will consider a return visit to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort at some point in the near future. We would welcome the opportunity to share firsthand the improvements made in light of your concerns.
Once again your comments and your business are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Kapaa, Hawaii
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful week at Sugar Beach and are already making plans to return. The week before we stayed in Antigua@ Galley Bay, which was outstanding, but Sugar Beach was epic. When we arrived, we were informed that our room had been upgraded as it was our anniversary. This property is incredible. The staff is outstanding and the food options are good. We chose not to do the all inclusive, not really knowing that dining options outside the resort are not easily accessable. I see complaints about the imported white sand, and wonder what the heck. The sand is fine. The beach itself is free of the usual peddlers, which frankly, I enjoy, but know that others don't. The pitons rising up on either side of the beach make this setting one of the most picturesque I've seen. The pool are and the pool itself are incredible. The spa, well I'll let you discover that on your own, other than to say, be prepared for something special. For a special occassion or to completely get away, I give this thumbs up. Special shout out to Swaming, Mosiah and Natahlie ( sp) for making our anniversary trip very special. Oh and take the time to visit Ladera for cocktails or dinner one night. Sunset is spectacular. Sugar Beach we will be back.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank djhoale
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Good day,
Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent anniversary stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
Our aim is to ensure that every guest we encounter is treated in the best possible way. Our high quality service and our remarkable setting create the perfect combination for the most memorable Sugar Beach experience.
We are pleased to hear that our recipe for a memorable stay exceeded your expectations and you are already planning a return visit.
Once again, thank you for your positive and encouraging comments.
We are looking forward to your return visit soon.

Cricklade, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 7 nights on our honeymoon and we weren't the only ones treating ourselves to something special. We loved the location between the Pitons, the white sand beach, the water sports, luxurious and tasteful plantation style accommodation and furnishings. Staff were genuinely warm and friendly, nothing too much trouble. With no town or village within walking distance the hotel restaurants offered enough variety for our broad-ish tastes from fine dining to pizzas.

Loads of places to relax in and out of the sun though some very nice luxury cabins are an extra charge so they weren't in use much which was a shame, though the hotel did allow free use during a rainy morning. Beach waiting service was fast and friendly and there was complimentary juice at 11am which was a nice touch. The spa was fantastic, we had deep tissue massages and pedicures which were great.

We had a luxury villa which was high up in the jungle with great views. The 24 hour taxi tuk tuk service was very quick with barely a 2 minute wait all week. We preferred the privacy of the villas to the beach front bungalows but we would be happy to stay pretty much anywhere else on the complex.

The only downside is all this doesn't comes cheap. We went all-inclusive but be aware that wine and drinks selection is limited 'in plan'. We thought the wine in particular was noticeably expensive. However, you are surrounded by luxury and there are numerous staff on hand at all times so ultimately you get what you pay for.

We hope to return on a special occasion at some point in the future.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MorphyRichard
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your honeymoon stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort!
It always brings us great satisfaction to read reviews such as yours. We are glad that we created the perfect holiday experience for you and that you were pleased with all our offerings.
Our team members are naturally warm and friendly people. I am delighted to hear that they positively contributed to your stay. They will be commended for a job well done.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We look forward to your return visit in the not too distant future.

André Boersma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!