“Yup...it's worth the price”

Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Here's my abridged version: spectacular resort with incredible service and a lot to do...if you choose.
Here's my unabridged version:
Scenery - as even the most critical guest will acknowledge, it really doesn't get much better than having a resort nested between the Pitons....absolutely breathtaking. The views from our villa (311) were awesome. 5 star
Food - as we didn't have the AI plan and ate off property for lunch and dinner, I don't feel as qualified as some to answer this. We had good breakfasts there and the thin crust pizza we tried was top notch; however, we only ate dinner there one time (good but not spectacular). 4 star
Accommodations - we were upgraded from a luxury cottage to a superior villa....nice touch on their part, as it was both my and my wife's birthday while we were there. As mentioned previously, the view for our deck and plunge pool (perfect temperature) was spectacular. The villa itself was clean and well appointed with a gigantic bathroom. I loved the huge double shower while my wife fell in love with the claw foot bathtub with awesome bath salts (so she tells me). Coffee maker was top notch and cold Piton beer was restocked every day (complimentary). The bed was incredibly comfortable and had mosquito netting; although, we never had a problem with them in the villa. They are definitely a presence outside, but the citronella candles provided took care of them just fine. Bring some repellant just in case you are sensitive. An iPad is provided for your convenience. Make sure you check it every day for activities and specials!!! We woke up one morning and noticed spa treatments were 50% off for 4 hours that day! 5 stars
Spa - as just mentioned, we noticed the spa special and I jumped on it! Booked a 50 minute Swedish massage and had the best massage in my life. I get massages every 30 to 60 days, so I know what I like. This was amazing. Had I had this earlier in the trip, I would have booked again at full price. 5 star
Service - this is where the resort clearly stands out, particularly in their Butler Services department. We had Greg, Mosiah and Swameed. Greg and Mosiah took care of us most of the time, and they were incredible. Whether it was getting us rides, making reservations (on or off property) or handling problems, these guys were awesome. I need them at home! We had one issue with a smoke alarm going off at night and the folks in the reception area handled this issue with professionalism and speed. If there is one area that needs a bit of work, it's the dining area. A real mixed bag here. Some of the folks were great, while others acted as if we were a bit of an inconvenience. A shout out to Tavarie (I'm sure I screwed up the spelling) for being on the ball at breakfast. The beach activity personnel were friendly and helpful. The beach servers were once again a mixed bag and a bit slow. The shuttle drivers that took you up and down were tremendous. Virtually every single one of them remembered my and my wife's name. Terry and Michael were particularly friendly. Unlike some previous reviewers, I never waited more than 3 minutes for a shuttle. Im giving 5 stars for service overall because the butler service, shuttle drivers and all but the meal and drink servers were just so superior.
I guess the bottom line is...would you come back? Most definitely!

Room Tip: 311 is a great room. No one can see you if you choose to go "natural"!
4  Thank KailuaBred
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to post this extensive review of your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am delighted that your stay was near perfect with the exception of the mixed food and beverage service that you have highlighted.
We have discussed your food and beverage experience with the director of the department to ensure that our guests are getting the same high level of service in all areas. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Thank you once again for your excellent feedback and comments.
We are looking forward to your return visit to serve you again to share firsthand the improvements made in light of your concerns.

André Boersma

Write a ReviewReviews (1,424)

Reviewed 23 May 2014

St. Lucia is an amazing place. Nestled between between the pitons, Sugar Beach is pure paradise. Our family spent time here after a week in a northern St. Lucia resort. Sugar Beach was well appointed and offered many activities for our family of four. It was efficient and all of our needs were met.

However, I only give this five star resort a four star rating. Why? Because it lacked island character. The high end menu offered minimal local food options. I found it rather disturbing that I could eat Scottish salmon but not a local fish option. Having a sushi bar also seemed rather out of place. The staff was very efficient but never went the extra mile. Unlike the resort I stayed in in northern St. Lucia, I never really felt I got an island "experience." This resort could have been in Portugal or Spain or the south of France, and other than the pitons, I would have never known it was in St. Lucia.

We stayed in a Grand Luxury Villa and spent a lot of time enjoying the outdoor living area. The suite was good, but the lumpy sofa bed our teenager slept in was not what one would expect in a 5 star resort. But then again, I'm not sure there is such a thing as a comfortable sofa bed. They did bring in an extra (and comfortable) bed for our other teenager, and that was most appreciated.

If you are looking for a high end resort, with a great view, relaxing atmosphere and high end food, this is a fantastic place. If you are looking for a St Lucia experience in an intimate setting, this will not exceed your expectations.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank m2d2H

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am sorry to hear that our food and beverage offerings did not exceed your expectations in the sense that you felt our menus lacked Caribbean-inspired dishes. Had you made our executive chef aware of how you felt, rest assured he would have prepared some more local dishes to your satisfaction. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.
I am also sorry that the sofa bed proved uncomfortable for one of your teens. We would have been happy to have brought up a second, more comfortable rollaway bed, had we been aware of the issue so both of your children could have slept in comfort.
Apart from the concerns highlighted above, I am pleased that on balance you had a wonderful and relaxing stay.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We hope to welcome you back to Sugar Beach really soon.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We just got back from our honeymoon at Sugar Beach May 3-11, 2014. We could not have picked a better resort to go to. We were picked up via a private car and taken straight to our villa. We didn't even have to go check in at the reception office, our butler took care of everything before we arrived! We stayed in Villa 801 with three butlers (Gus, McKale, and Jose). They were great and helped setup everything we wanted to do during the week. When we first arrived in the villa they had plantain chips, fruit from the island and special made drinks for us. We thought this was really nice! Our room was spectacular, bright,clean and simple and the bathrooms are amazing! The views no matter where you stay are just breathtaking. Please keep in mind though, these villas are in a rain forest/jungle, so there will be frogs, insects and many leaves falling. One can not stop mother nature from happening. Our butler went over everything with us in regards to the two cell phones you get to use all over the property as well as the custom ipad you have in the room. He also made reservations for us down at the beach bay side restaurant. Which is like something out of a magazine! With the water right there and the fire torches going, it is certainly beautiful! The rest of the week was amazing as well!
Some suggestions for your trip:
1. The rain forest spa is a must! We are a spa couple and this is certainly a spa that is well worth the money and experience. We felt like we had the whole spa to ourselves!
2. Go do the mud sulfur baths. It sounds weird, but it is def. an experience and wonderful for your skin! Just ask the locals, a lot of them go many times during the week.
3. We did the Piton hike! We are both young (25 & 26) and in really good shape and this still kicked our butts. My wife runs half marathons and marathons and she said this was probably just as hard if not harder. However we highly suggest doing it! Make sure to take it as slow as you want. If it takes you all day then so be it, because in the end you can tell everyone you climbed that! The views are stunning and you feel so great about your self when you reach the top!
4. Try the green buggies tour! This is where you drive around green go carts all around the island. It was amazing and we had the best guide named Thomas. He went above and beyond what he was suppose to show us. This was, to be honest, was our favorite tour on the entire honeymoon, we learned so much about the locals, the fruit on the island, and the island it self.
5. Go to the beach and just relax under the beautiful huts and enjoy the great service. Don't forget about snorkeling right there on the beach, we saw some amazing beautiful fish and coral reefs.

The food here is really good. We went all inclusive and that was so worth it! We did not have to worry about paying or anything like that. We def. suggest all inclusive!
Do not worry about the steepness of the resort, the tuk tuks ( which are the carts that take you around the resort) are everywhere and we hardly ever had to wait, plus they are really neat looking and fun to ride in.

This is certainly a phenomenal 5 star hotel and well worth the money, you will not regret it!

My only suggestion for the hotel is that they might need to clean up the landscape around the pond at the terrace restaurant. I know they are trying to keep it like you would see in the rain forest however it kind of looked un kept. I know this is kind of random but it is always about the smaller details that make a place great! Just a suggestion.

Thanks for a fabulous honeymoon and we can not wait to return with family and friends!
-Amanda & Ryan-

3  Thank Ryan B

Good day,
We are pleased that your honeymoon was everything that you hoped it would be.
Our butlers, really do try their utmost to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay in the most relaxing manner. I am delighted to that they provided special touches that enhanced your experience. I’ll be sure to commend them for a job well done.
Once again thank you for your comments, suggestions and business. We are looking forward to seeing you again at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Few hotels engender such extremes in opinion as this spectacularly located hotel/resort squeezed between the iconic Pitons. I come out on the side of those who enjoyed a spectacular two week holiday with my family at a resort - when it is finished - will be every bit as iconic as those two bookend volcanoes. Let's start with the basics, the old sugar plantation is a matured garden to delight in, with a great house to house breakfast dinner and events. The three villas our party occupied were pure luxury, each one with its own plunge pool, view of the bay and the foliage occupied and owned by the humming birds and other exotica who have been there longer than any of us. The old villas are being rebuilt and, consequently, there is minor disruption and added traffic on the steep, steep roads. Is that a concern? Not at all, they were, I admit, too steep for me but I was rarely left for longer than a few minutes by the outstanding team of drivers. They and the "butlers" , the guys and girls who cater to (almost) your every need, are charming, helpful and desperate for you to enjoy every minute.You even have the use of "fireflys" on which you can contact your room partner, the hotel and any of their staff to order up a tuk-tuk or an extra Piton beer for the room. The staff in the two restaurants are also well trained, professional but never in your face while at breakfast the staff are not always as interested but, for the most time, get there in the end.
The food is outstanding in both the Great Room and the Bayside Restaurant, with its tables lapped by the Caribbean and its adjoining bar which is so underused we couldn't believe it as we luxuriated in our rum based cocktails or local beers.
On the downside it is expensive but it is a five star hotel and five star hotels are expensive. The big question is whether it gave value and the answer was always an emphatic yes.
I have to agree with Clare( see recent review) that the introduction of 91 visitors from the USA caused some disruption to our plans and we, the guests in general) were not told officially until the eve of their arrival. I, for one, was cross but it was quickly realised by the management team headed up by the resident manager Georg Unseld that an error had been made but it must be pointed out that apart from taking over the bar and the restaurants for two sessions, they were never rowdy nor intrusive. I guess that, until the resort grows, that sort of number will not happen again.
Any complaints we may have had - and there weren't many - was dispelled when, on our last night,Executive Chef Jacques Chretien hosted the family to a Caribbean bar-b-q in a Cabana by the poolside. Bliss. Our chef and his waitress were outstanding.
I notice other complaints over the weeks came from people visiting the historic site and the world class diving area and finding access difficult and the beachside beds expensive. The beach, like every beach in St Lucia, is public but the hotel necessarily protects its paying guests and as one of those they earned my applause.
Four stars this year because of the ongoing development and the 91 strong party but I guess that when I return it will be an undoubted five.

Room Tip: Villas in the 700's - worth the price for the view alone!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank thewriter

Good day
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and everything that we offered with the exception of the concern that you shared regarding the group. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.
We are happy that Chef Jacques and his team took really good care of you and that you thoroughly enjoyed your private BBQ dinner. The team will be very happy with your comments.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and business. We are looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

It really doesn't get any better. Perfect location, stunning private Caribbean setting with warm English-speaking culture. World-class diving, killer new French Chef. Best accommodations on the island, period.

• Stayed: May 2014

Good day,
Thank you for your wonderful comments.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
Once again, thank you for your positive comments and business.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Poor. Small resort and a corporate event involving 90 people was running. No advanced warning. The group completely dominated the time we were there. All our restaurant reservations were cancelled. Expensive, a wee bit tired, poor and often uninterested service (butlers and drivers excepted) left me a little cold. Asked to feedback to GM but told he was "off island" - saw him 10 minutes later in the restaurant. BE WARNED - this is a small resort and they have big groups so you can feel like a minority at times being told you only have one place to eat. We moved to the Hotel Boucan and it is cheaper and in a different league.

• Stayed: May 2014
4  Thank ClareKennedy
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Good day,
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I would like to apologize for the experience that you have described and for the disruption you encountered due to a group event at the hotel. I am truly sorry you felt you were treated poorly.
I would also like to take the opportunity to let you know that I was indeed away from the island attending a business event in London at the time you requested to speak with me. You may have mistaken the Resident Manager or our Food & Beverage Director for me. As the General Manager of this resort, my guests are priority and I make every effort to listen to their concerns. I am sorry that I did not get the opportunity to meet with you during your stay.
I know that you had the opportunity to relate your experience to our Guest Relations Manager who shared your concerns with the management team, including myself.
There was only on one occasion, May 19th, that two dining options were available—Bayside Restaurant and Room Service—with the Great Room and Cane Bar booked for the group. Apart from that date, all dining options were available to our guests. I am sorry if your dining plans were disrupted on the evening in question and would like to sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this caused.
Once again, thank you for your business and feedback. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again and ensure a flawless Sugar Beach stay.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and i just returned from a week long stay and overall, taking into consideration the $, i would rate this hotel very average and i would not recommend friends or family to stay. Firstly the positives, the location of this hotel between the pitons is fantastic and the view from the beach and pool area is magnificent. We also has 3 wonderful butlers who worked tirelessly to make our stay a great one. However, if i was to summarise my complaint with the rest of the hotel it would be that considering the $, the service (with the exception of the butlers) is poor, the food is average and overpriced, the villas are comfortable but not amazing. Regarding the service, i actually found it to not only be poor but also unwelcoming and we were grateful for the opportunity to leave the resort to try 2 local restaurants where the welcome was warm and the food was the best we ate all week. The hotel is basically priced like a Four Seasons resort but it's not even close to the quality. I do feel a little bit ridiculous for being critical of a resort that is clearly in many ways wonderful (and has the potential to do much better) but i have stayed in better equivalent resorts and my stay at Sugar Beach was distinctly underwhelming.

5  Thank Neddy13

Good day,
Thank you for your feedback about your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am sorry to hear of the experience and disappointments that you have described. We continually strive to create great experiences for our guests and memorable moment that they will cherish for all the right reasons. In your cause, it is clear that we failed to meet your expectations and for that I am truly sorry.
Your feedback has been discussed with the relevant department heads and we are reviewing our service standards to ensure a consistent luxury experience for all of our guests. Training initiatives will be introduced where required to refresh these standard with our team members.
I trust that the issues you experienced have not left an indelible mark and that you will consider a return visit to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort at some point in the near future. We would welcome the opportunity to share firsthand the improvements made in light of your concerns.
Once again your comments and your business are greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

André Boersma

Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#5 of 11 in Soufriere
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!