....we stayed in all 3 and, for us, Sugar Beach won hands down.
My wife loves Plantation style; white,luxurious linen,check vs coloured check;and white sand (imported or otherwise) vs dark, so Sugar Beach was always going to have a significant head start.
What kept it in front all the way was the attention to detail, the service, and the stunningly beautiful pool and grounds. oh and the food, which was brilliant too. We only ate in the formal restaurant once, but much preferred the casual beach dining for lunch and dinners. Breakfast on the terrace was equally fantastic.
The butler service of packing and unpacking was great and everyone was really personal and friendly. We were only there 4 days, but from early on, people remembered our names, and our orders/ preferences.
So, what about the budget bit? Well, normally I'm obsessed by getting the best room with views etc. This time, I wanted to try the best hotels in the area without the extra price, so we stayed in a Sugar Mill Room which was a lot less. Obviously it lacked the view, and extra space, but for us (sans enfants for a change) the 55 sq mtrs (600 ft) was perfect. It was also great being close to everything, no buggies for us, but we did walk all round the resort by choice a few times, and the views are absolutely stunning.
We also went room only - It just felt like poor value to go HB, let alone FB and I knew I would struggle to resist temptation of food/ wine if it was free! For us it worked out perfectly.
One final mention of the choice of hotels - if you want a more authentic St Lucia experience. then this is probably not it, but we got what we wanted and absolutely loved it!
Hmmmmm, can't wait to go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort is set amidst more than 100 acres of tropical rainforest on the island's scenic Caribbean coast. Embraced by St Lucia's majestic World Heritage-listed Pitons, the resort's 96 Luxury Sugar Mill Rooms, Cottages, Villas and Luxury Beachfront Bungalows boast elegant styling, private plunge pool, four poster bed, luxurious Egyptian cotton linens, every possible modern amenity, and personalised butler service. Two stunning white sand beaches, beautiful Rainforest Spa with tree house treatment rooms, full PADI dive facility, and superb waterfront dining ensure the ultimate vacation experience with space enough for honeymooners and families alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, Hotels.com, Booking.com, West Indies, Holiday Gems, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jalousie Plantation Hotel Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation St Lucia
- Jalousie Hilton
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere