“Sugar Beach Anse or Jade - and on a budget (ish)”

Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 26 May 2014

....we stayed in all 3 and, for us, Sugar Beach won hands down.

My wife loves Plantation style; white,luxurious linen,check vs coloured check;and white sand (imported or otherwise) vs dark, so Sugar Beach was always going to have a significant head start.

What kept it in front all the way was the attention to detail, the service, and the stunningly beautiful pool and grounds. oh and the food, which was brilliant too. We only ate in the formal restaurant once, but much preferred the casual beach dining for lunch and dinners. Breakfast on the terrace was equally fantastic.

The butler service of packing and unpacking was great and everyone was really personal and friendly. We were only there 4 days, but from early on, people remembered our names, and our orders/ preferences.

So, what about the budget bit? Well, normally I'm obsessed by getting the best room with views etc. This time, I wanted to try the best hotels in the area without the extra price, so we stayed in a Sugar Mill Room which was a lot less. Obviously it lacked the view, and extra space, but for us (sans enfants for a change) the 55 sq mtrs (600 ft) was perfect. It was also great being close to everything, no buggies for us, but we did walk all round the resort by choice a few times, and the views are absolutely stunning.

We also went room only - It just felt like poor value to go HB, let alone FB and I knew I would struggle to resist temptation of food/ wine if it was free! For us it worked out perfectly.

One final mention of the choice of hotels - if you want a more authentic St Lucia experience. then this is probably not it, but we got what we wanted and absolutely loved it!

Hmmmmm, can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: 1/ Sugar Mill rooms are great! 2/ If you chose a Hillside room, be aware that some have obscured v...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lost&found
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are very pleased with your feedback and the Sugar Beach holiday that you have described. Our aim is to offer our guests memorable experiences that last a lifetime.
I know our team members will be delighted with your review.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We are looking forward to your return visit soon.

There are newer reviews for Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Reviewed 25 May 2014

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Sugar Beach Resort, nestled at the feet of the Pitons in St. Lucia, May 3-10, 2014. This was our fourth trip to this property which had once been the Jalouise Plantation and then the Hilton Jalouise Plantation and is now a Viceroy property. The resort has undergone extensive renovations, which are still ongoing. If the site of construction equipment bothers you, you might what to check first to see where your room will be. We had absolutely no problems at all with the ongoing construction.

Our villa was spacious and lovely , with an unbeatable view of the ocean and Pitons, with an outdoor living space and private plunge pool. Service was personable and caring by a wonderful staff-we could not have asked for more. We were on the all inclusive food plan, which at first glance is pricey, but considering the costs of food and drink, we got more than our money's worth. There were a large variety of food and beverage choices, all high quality. Our only suggestion would be to use more local products (oysters were flown in from France) and offer more dishes indigenous to St. Lucia.

The amenities-beach, pool, gym, water sports-were great and plenty of shade was available. You knew it was coming after this rave review, BUT....Sugar Beach thinks of itself as a resort with scuba diving available at an extra charge, not a dedicated dive resort. This is very appropriate. The staff is wonderful and will do whatever they can to make your dive experience pleasurable but they have to work with and outdated boat. I cannot see this boat handling more than 8 divers comfortably and entry to the water is via backward roll only. The bc's they have for use, included with the dive fees, use weight belts instead of integrated weight systems. The general manger was very friendly and gracious. It was good to see him at lunch circulating among the guests to be sure all was well. We discussed the diving and he said that he had other priorities, which we fully understand, but after 3 years??? Sugar Beach has the potential to be a great boutique diving experience, as the marine park is located just off the beach. I spoke with the Viceroy corporate office to offer suggestions on improving the dive operation, but they shut me out quickly and said it was in the hands of the property managers at each resort. Upgrades to the dive operation would be a win-win for all.

We look forward to our next escape to St. Lucia. A more idyllic setting is rarely found.

3  Thank Scott F

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort—both the areas that impressed you, and those that you would like to see improved.
As a second time visitor to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort (which was called The Jalousie Plantation on your first visit), we appreciate that you acknowledge and recognize the positive changes that we have made in past few years.
Thank you also for your comments about our PADI dive centre, we are aware that this is an area that we have to improve. As mentioned during our conversation, we will eventually get there, however there are other items that need to take priority at this time.
Please know that your comments and business are greatly appreciated.
We are looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Here's my abridged version: spectacular resort with incredible service and a lot to do...if you choose.
Here's my unabridged version:
Scenery - as even the most critical guest will acknowledge, it really doesn't get much better than having a resort nested between the Pitons....absolutely breathtaking. The views from our villa (311) were awesome. 5 star
Food - as we didn't have the AI plan and ate off property for lunch and dinner, I don't feel as qualified as some to answer this. We had good breakfasts there and the thin crust pizza we tried was top notch; however, we only ate dinner there one time (good but not spectacular). 4 star
Accommodations - we were upgraded from a luxury cottage to a superior villa....nice touch on their part, as it was both my and my wife's birthday while we were there. As mentioned previously, the view for our deck and plunge pool (perfect temperature) was spectacular. The villa itself was clean and well appointed with a gigantic bathroom. I loved the huge double shower while my wife fell in love with the claw foot bathtub with awesome bath salts (so she tells me). Coffee maker was top notch and cold Piton beer was restocked every day (complimentary). The bed was incredibly comfortable and had mosquito netting; although, we never had a problem with them in the villa. They are definitely a presence outside, but the citronella candles provided took care of them just fine. Bring some repellant just in case you are sensitive. An iPad is provided for your convenience. Make sure you check it every day for activities and specials!!! We woke up one morning and noticed spa treatments were 50% off for 4 hours that day! 5 stars
Spa - as just mentioned, we noticed the spa special and I jumped on it! Booked a 50 minute Swedish massage and had the best massage in my life. I get massages every 30 to 60 days, so I know what I like. This was amazing. Had I had this earlier in the trip, I would have booked again at full price. 5 star
Service - this is where the resort clearly stands out, particularly in their Butler Services department. We had Greg, Mosiah and Swameed. Greg and Mosiah took care of us most of the time, and they were incredible. Whether it was getting us rides, making reservations (on or off property) or handling problems, these guys were awesome. I need them at home! We had one issue with a smoke alarm going off at night and the folks in the reception area handled this issue with professionalism and speed. If there is one area that needs a bit of work, it's the dining area. A real mixed bag here. Some of the folks were great, while others acted as if we were a bit of an inconvenience. A shout out to Tavarie (I'm sure I screwed up the spelling) for being on the ball at breakfast. The beach activity personnel were friendly and helpful. The beach servers were once again a mixed bag and a bit slow. The shuttle drivers that took you up and down were tremendous. Virtually every single one of them remembered my and my wife's name. Terry and Michael were particularly friendly. Unlike some previous reviewers, I never waited more than 3 minutes for a shuttle. Im giving 5 stars for service overall because the butler service, shuttle drivers and all but the meal and drink servers were just so superior.
I guess the bottom line is...would you come back? Most definitely!

Room Tip: 311 is a great room. No one can see you if you choose to go "natural"!
4  Thank KailuaBred

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to post this extensive review of your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am delighted that your stay was near perfect with the exception of the mixed food and beverage service that you have highlighted.
We have discussed your food and beverage experience with the director of the department to ensure that our guests are getting the same high level of service in all areas. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Thank you once again for your excellent feedback and comments.
We are looking forward to your return visit to serve you again to share firsthand the improvements made in light of your concerns.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

St. Lucia is an amazing place. Nestled between between the pitons, Sugar Beach is pure paradise. Our family spent time here after a week in a northern St. Lucia resort. Sugar Beach was well appointed and offered many activities for our family of four. It was efficient and all of our needs were met.

However, I only give this five star resort a four star rating. Why? Because it lacked island character. The high end menu offered minimal local food options. I found it rather disturbing that I could eat Scottish salmon but not a local fish option. Having a sushi bar also seemed rather out of place. The staff was very efficient but never went the extra mile. Unlike the resort I stayed in in northern St. Lucia, I never really felt I got an island "experience." This resort could have been in Portugal or Spain or the south of France, and other than the pitons, I would have never known it was in St. Lucia.

We stayed in a Grand Luxury Villa and spent a lot of time enjoying the outdoor living area. The suite was good, but the lumpy sofa bed our teenager slept in was not what one would expect in a 5 star resort. But then again, I'm not sure there is such a thing as a comfortable sofa bed. They did bring in an extra (and comfortable) bed for our other teenager, and that was most appreciated.

If you are looking for a high end resort, with a great view, relaxing atmosphere and high end food, this is a fantastic place. If you are looking for a St Lucia experience in an intimate setting, this will not exceed your expectations.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank m2d2H

Good day,
I am sorry to hear that our food and beverage offerings did not exceed your expectations in the sense that you felt our menus lacked Caribbean-inspired dishes. Had you made our executive chef aware of how you felt, rest assured he would have prepared some more local dishes to your satisfaction. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.
I am also sorry that the sofa bed proved uncomfortable for one of your teens. We would have been happy to have brought up a second, more comfortable rollaway bed, had we been aware of the issue so both of your children could have slept in comfort.
Apart from the concerns highlighted above, I am pleased that on balance you had a wonderful and relaxing stay.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We hope to welcome you back to Sugar Beach really soon.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We just got back from our honeymoon at Sugar Beach May 3-11, 2014. We could not have picked a better resort to go to. We were picked up via a private car and taken straight to our villa. We didn't even have to go check in at the reception office, our butler took care of everything before we arrived! We stayed in Villa 801 with three butlers (Gus, McKale, and Jose). They were great and helped setup everything we wanted to do during the week. When we first arrived in the villa they had plantain chips, fruit from the island and special made drinks for us. We thought this was really nice! Our room was spectacular, bright,clean and simple and the bathrooms are amazing! The views no matter where you stay are just breathtaking. Please keep in mind though, these villas are in a rain forest/jungle, so there will be frogs, insects and many leaves falling. One can not stop mother nature from happening. Our butler went over everything with us in regards to the two cell phones you get to use all over the property as well as the custom ipad you have in the room. He also made reservations for us down at the beach bay side restaurant. Which is like something out of a magazine! With the water right there and the fire torches going, it is certainly beautiful! The rest of the week was amazing as well!
Some suggestions for your trip:
1. The rain forest spa is a must! We are a spa couple and this is certainly a spa that is well worth the money and experience. We felt like we had the whole spa to ourselves!
2. Go do the mud sulfur baths. It sounds weird, but it is def. an experience and wonderful for your skin! Just ask the locals, a lot of them go many times during the week.
3. We did the Piton hike! We are both young (25 & 26) and in really good shape and this still kicked our butts. My wife runs half marathons and marathons and she said this was probably just as hard if not harder. However we highly suggest doing it! Make sure to take it as slow as you want. If it takes you all day then so be it, because in the end you can tell everyone you climbed that! The views are stunning and you feel so great about your self when you reach the top!
4. Try the green buggies tour! This is where you drive around green go carts all around the island. It was amazing and we had the best guide named Thomas. He went above and beyond what he was suppose to show us. This was, to be honest, was our favorite tour on the entire honeymoon, we learned so much about the locals, the fruit on the island, and the island it self.
5. Go to the beach and just relax under the beautiful huts and enjoy the great service. Don't forget about snorkeling right there on the beach, we saw some amazing beautiful fish and coral reefs.

The food here is really good. We went all inclusive and that was so worth it! We did not have to worry about paying or anything like that. We def. suggest all inclusive!
Do not worry about the steepness of the resort, the tuk tuks ( which are the carts that take you around the resort) are everywhere and we hardly ever had to wait, plus they are really neat looking and fun to ride in.

This is certainly a phenomenal 5 star hotel and well worth the money, you will not regret it!

My only suggestion for the hotel is that they might need to clean up the landscape around the pond at the terrace restaurant. I know they are trying to keep it like you would see in the rain forest however it kind of looked un kept. I know this is kind of random but it is always about the smaller details that make a place great! Just a suggestion.

Thanks for a fabulous honeymoon and we can not wait to return with family and friends!
-Amanda & Ryan-

3  Thank Ryan B

Good day,
We are pleased that your honeymoon was everything that you hoped it would be.
Our butlers, really do try their utmost to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay in the most relaxing manner. I am delighted to that they provided special touches that enhanced your experience. I’ll be sure to commend them for a job well done.
Once again thank you for your comments, suggestions and business. We are looking forward to seeing you again at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Few hotels engender such extremes in opinion as this spectacularly located hotel/resort squeezed between the iconic Pitons. I come out on the side of those who enjoyed a spectacular two week holiday with my family at a resort - when it is finished - will be every bit as iconic as those two bookend volcanoes. Let's start with the basics, the old sugar plantation is a matured garden to delight in, with a great house to house breakfast dinner and events. The three villas our party occupied were pure luxury, each one with its own plunge pool, view of the bay and the foliage occupied and owned by the humming birds and other exotica who have been there longer than any of us. The old villas are being rebuilt and, consequently, there is minor disruption and added traffic on the steep, steep roads. Is that a concern? Not at all, they were, I admit, too steep for me but I was rarely left for longer than a few minutes by the outstanding team of drivers. They and the "butlers" , the guys and girls who cater to (almost) your every need, are charming, helpful and desperate for you to enjoy every minute.You even have the use of "fireflys" on which you can contact your room partner, the hotel and any of their staff to order up a tuk-tuk or an extra Piton beer for the room. The staff in the two restaurants are also well trained, professional but never in your face while at breakfast the staff are not always as interested but, for the most time, get there in the end.
The food is outstanding in both the Great Room and the Bayside Restaurant, with its tables lapped by the Caribbean and its adjoining bar which is so underused we couldn't believe it as we luxuriated in our rum based cocktails or local beers.
On the downside it is expensive but it is a five star hotel and five star hotels are expensive. The big question is whether it gave value and the answer was always an emphatic yes.
I have to agree with Clare( see recent review) that the introduction of 91 visitors from the USA caused some disruption to our plans and we, the guests in general) were not told officially until the eve of their arrival. I, for one, was cross but it was quickly realised by the management team headed up by the resident manager Georg Unseld that an error had been made but it must be pointed out that apart from taking over the bar and the restaurants for two sessions, they were never rowdy nor intrusive. I guess that, until the resort grows, that sort of number will not happen again.
Any complaints we may have had - and there weren't many - was dispelled when, on our last night,Executive Chef Jacques Chretien hosted the family to a Caribbean bar-b-q in a Cabana by the poolside. Bliss. Our chef and his waitress were outstanding.
I notice other complaints over the weeks came from people visiting the historic site and the world class diving area and finding access difficult and the beachside beds expensive. The beach, like every beach in St Lucia, is public but the hotel necessarily protects its paying guests and as one of those they earned my applause.
Four stars this year because of the ongoing development and the 91 strong party but I guess that when I return it will be an undoubted five.

Room Tip: Villas in the 700's - worth the price for the view alone!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank thewriter

Good day
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and everything that we offered with the exception of the concern that you shared regarding the group. We would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused.
We are happy that Chef Jacques and his team took really good care of you and that you thoroughly enjoyed your private BBQ dinner. The team will be very happy with your comments.
Once again, thank you for your feedback and business. We are looking forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

It really doesn't get any better. Perfect location, stunning private Caribbean setting with warm English-speaking culture. World-class diving, killer new French Chef. Best accommodations on the island, period.

• Stayed: May 2014

Good day,
Thank you for your wonderful comments.
We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
Once again, thank you for your positive comments and business.

André Boersma

Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!