“First Class on all Fronts” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Scottsdale, Arizona
“First Class on all Fronts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Having been to St. Lucia previously, we decided to forego the Sandals cliché this time and focused on the southern end of the island.

What a difference.

Our first week we stayed Antse Chastene (reviewed elsewhere although somewhat disappointing) but then upgraded for our second week at Sugar Beach. The difference was stunning. Stepping back in time to this former sugar plantation was a breath of fresh air. The grounds were spotless. The entire complex (in the shadow of the Pitons) harkens to the plantation days: lush landscape, sugar white beach (no pun intended) Colonial/plantation architecture, and spread out just enough to not feel over crowded. The rooms are draped in white, 4 poster beds, large patios, etc.

Several dining choices from feet in the sand "beachy" fare to elegant dinners in the formal plantation house (A must...in fact we ended up there more than anywhere despite having to put on PANTS!!). Sushi bar was also very good. Fantastic breakfast buffets (plus cooked to order-and not while standing in a line waiting for an omelet...all ordered from your table with views of the ocean). We chose the breakfast/dinner package and near the end of our trip we totaled up what we WOULD have spent had we gone a la carte...the difference was minimal and well worth the convenience and it's all you can eat (...we decimated the sushi bar on one evening I'm afraid to say...).

Drink and food service at all beach chairs with no shortage of staff at your beck and call. Excellent water sports with top notch equipment. Full facility fitness center is a hefty walk to the top of the resort although always available mini-shuttles with friendly drivers will take you up. We used the walk as a warm up and a great start to the day-of doing NOTHING!!

The only downside was a PLETHURA of children (mostly European) although that was our fault as it was over Christmas and New Years...told by staff that once the kids are back in school they see few children in the spring and fall.

Make arrangements to take the short (10 minute) water taxi to the town of Soufriere. Ask the staff when their weekly outdoor farmer's market is and be prepared to bring back fresh fruit for the room).

This is not a location for the budget minded but well worth the upgrade. Absolutely plan to go back, and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Beach front villas are quieter than typical rooms.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bumbalockus
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to share your Sugar Beach experience on TripAdvisor.
We are happy to know that the high level of service that you experienced exceeded your expectations in all areas. We are delighted that we created happy memories that will last a lifetime for all the right reasons.
Our staff will be very pleased with your comments. We will certainly commend them for a job well done.
We look forward to your return visit.
André Boersma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Marietta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

The resort has a lot of reviews and I don't want to repeat - so we will just add that unlike some other reviews, we found the manager very available and responsive. There is no question that some of the servers were going through the motions, but they were the exception and not at all the rule during our stay (and they were mostly the breakfast team). Our butlers were great and actually did go above and beyond - one actually went in to town after his shift to get a SIM card for us and brought it by the next day. Transportation was never a problem - either the tuk tuk to the beach (we stayed in the 300s) or the taxis to/from restaurants (we chose to go off site to dinner most nights just for a change of scenery - you must try Orlando's in town!). From observing one other couple in particular who was not having much fun, I can say that the staff seem to be happy to serve people who are kind. Can't blame them - it is there job to treat everyone fabulously, but boy some people make it difficult to do.

Room Tip: The hotel is renovating some cabins that were damaged in a storm - and expanding in other areas. I...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank Nate B
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort stay.
Guest satisfaction is our highest priority. We always try to ensure that our guests are given the best possible service. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the high level of service that we provided
Thank you for sharing your observations about the breakfast team. We are continuing to review our service standards in that area to ensure that this service is on a par with the rest of the resort.
Once again, thank you for your praise. I will be sure to communicate your feedback to the rest of the team, especially the individuals mentioned.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

I found our stay here very frustrating. This place has the potential to be truly magical. The pool, rooms and properties are all beautiful and everywhere is kept spotlessly clean. I also think the quality of the food was very good, particularly the more local dishes. We were upgraded to all inclusive and I genuinely can’t comprehend what it must have been like to stay there otherwise given the often crazy prices for relatively basic stuff (like the bbq and cold breakfast).

Unfortunately, the standard of service was literally all over the place. Having stayed in places like the Oberoi in Mauritius, this is truly a million miles away and yet it is certainly no cheaper… Some staff were a delight, and we tipped generously in those cases, but some were night and day and that’s what made the experience so bizarre. Some specific examples to bring this to life:
- My wife was actually brought to tears by the barman in the cane bar after he launched into a tirade about the plight of the locals compared with westerners when she was just trying to make conversation.
- The butler service was truly shambolic. They are not butlers. Stay at a suite at Claridges in London and see what a butler is, i.e. ONE person who looks after you completely. Here it is a pool of people who are basically OK so long as all you want to do is order a tuk tuk. Anything else was usually met with an “I’ll call you back” before being abruptly cut off. They NEVER once EVER called us back on anything. We wasted a whole morning where I asked for someone to come to our room to go through trips. I had to call 4 times and eventually someone came running up the hill complaining that he had asked someone else to do it and they hadn’t (how this is my problem I don’t know). There was no apology. We went through the trips we wanted to do, two were easy to book so he did that there and then, the others, which included fishing, he said he’d get back to us. He never did. On a random morning in our second week I got a call from them saying my boat was ready for the fishing trip. No one had told me it was booked, how much it would cost or anything so I missed out. The other trip we asked for never materialised on any basis.
- We asked for a table at the Bay side restaurant to be booked – “I’ll call you back”. Obviously he never did and I had to make the reservation myself.
- We went down for 8pm to the Bayside restaurant at our appointed time for the women on the desk to look at us as if we’d just thrown something unpleasant at her. “We expected you at 6.30”. We explained that this was yesterday and our butler obviously booked the wrong day. No apology, just a very rude shrug and she set off towards a table, presumably for us to follow. Such rude service would be unacceptable in a Little Chef, let alone a £10k a stay resort.
- Frequently, our orders would go awry and there would NEVER be an apology. As an example, I ordered extra hash browns with my breakfast. We waited the customary age for it to arrive and I had none at all. I queried this and the waitress said “oh – they’re all gone”, turned her back on me and walked off. No apology, no, “I’m sorry sir, those aren’t available now, would you like something else”. No basic service at all to be honest, just more outright rudeness.
- On one morning, the person who was presumably supposed to be taking our ordered never materialised. Since we were starving, we asked one of the other members of staff who was loitering at the entrance. The look we got was truly something to behold. You’d have thought we’d asked her to clean our toilet and with a shrug and not a word said, she set off to argue with the person who should have taken it.

I could go on and on with examples but won’t. The point is that the staff are often not just delivering bad service, but actually being downright rude and insulting. I genuinely don’t think this is deliberate or an attitude issue, it’s just basically a lack of any proper training.

As a balance to this, the service in the main formal restaurant was significantly better and we had no real problems there. One dish had to be sent back (which could happen anywhere) and there was no apology again, but by this stage we were not exactly surprised.

One final thought on the place as compared with other top world resorts we’ve been to: It has always been very apparent to us who the hotel manager is. At the Grand Hotel Residencia in Gran Canarias, the Oberoi etc etc the manager greets you and is always present. At the Sugar Beach we had no idea who he/she was and I wonder if this is where the difference maybe lies.

Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Teldar
Good day,
I am disappointed to hear of the lapses in service that you have highlighted. The experience that you have described is very unusual. I would like to apologize for the unacceptable encounters that you were faced with.
As the general manager of this resort, I am very much concerned about the experience of every guest. Every day, during lunch, I visit the Bayside restaurant and introduce myself to all the guests dining at that time. I do the same at our Managers Cocktail on Monday from 5pm-6pm. You may have visited a time when I was off island on business or vacation but in this instance, one of our senior managers would have done the same.
Your comments about the service in our restaurants and the lapses in our butler team have been discussed with the relevant department heads to ensure that refresher training is implemented where necessary as a matter of urgency. From the feedback we generally receive it would appear that the experiences you encountered were the exception, rather than the norm and I want to ensure future guests enjoy our normally flawless service.
I do hope the service issues you described have not left an indelible mark and that you will consider a return visit to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort at some point in the future. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you at our best.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

Location: can't be beat. Not too far from Airport. Beachfront. Between the two Pitons. Hands down best location on Island.

Best snorkeling is at Sugar Beach. I've seen fish here that I haven't seen in other caribbean islands.

You need to prepare yourself for how much things cost. Not just at Sugar Beach, but on the whole island. Save up ahead of time so you can relax & enjoy all the spoils of Sugar Beach, as well as other restaurant/beach/activities.

Take a water taxi with Randolph to Anse Chastenet/Anse Mamin for a burger and a quieter beach. Costs about $25/pp for roundtrip taxi.

We did not venture into Castries, because why would we want to leave the solitude at Sugar Beach?? Just relax and enjoy the amazing beach & views of Pitons.

Best hotel on the island. Hands down. I've seen the others either by water taxi or eating at their restaurants, and Sugar Beach puts the other Soufriere hotels to shame.

Oh and get on your iPad every morning to see if the Spa is offering 50% off massages. Don't pre-book!!!!!!

Room Tip: We booked a Sugar Mill Room for the least expensive option, and we were upgraded to a villa, which w...
3 Thank Lyokem1
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We try our best to create remarkable experiences for everyone who stays. It is such a pleasure to know that our resort provided you with the highest level of service and that our team provided all the special touches to ensure you returned home with memories to cherish.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We look forward to your return visit.

Colorado Springs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I was here attending a wedding and the service was outstanding and the personalized butler service was unique, I almost thought I was rich for a minute. The rooms were immaculate and air-conditioned everything was refreshing. Our bathroom was very large and spacious the whole place was beautiful inside and out and the private beach is only a few steps away. Snorkeling was fantastic as well as learning to sail the Hobbie boats which is all part of the resort. The food was absolutely perfect after a long day in the sun, we really enjoyed the service and the food although the service is not United States fast but who cares when you're on vacation. Just meant we had more time to talk face to face. Sorry, no texting here. We also went zip lining which is just a few miles away. We can't wait to go back and make more memories.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank jbetz78
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Good day,
Thank you for your positive feedback after your stay as a wedding guest at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
It brings us great satisfaction to know that you were blown away by the high level of service and quality accommodation that we provide. Your review serves as proof that we provide top notch services that goes hand in hand with our stunning setting. We are happy that we made your time with us memorable for all the right reasons.
We are looking forward to your return visit soon hope to see you again soon.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

A 9-day honeymoon stay at Sugar Beach Resort was the perfect way to unwind after the excitement and stresses of planning for our special day. The resort is nestled between the Pitons with spectacular views of Saint Lucia's defining landscape and the Caribbean Sea. The grounds are sprawling from beachfront to luxurious villas that dot the mountainous setting of the resort. The service at Sugar Beach is impeccable and unlike anything we have ever experienced. Kind, attentive, and always aiming to please - we were wowed by the personal attention and friendly nature of the many locals that are employed at the resort. People like Shawn (butler), Michael and Terry (resort shuttle drivers), Linus (wait staff), and Michelle (spa) greeted us with smiles and superior service in everything they do for their guests. Our luxury villa (700s) was a private oasis - hidden by lush natural landscape, and complete with plunge pool, spectacular views and a massive shower retreat (indoor and out). The resort grounds and properties were well maintained and very natural in their setting. The restaurants and bars were excellent, well run, and had varied choices to keep the menu interesting meal after meal. We especially loved sushi at Cane Bar (with a Cuban cigar and local rum night cap), but Bayside and breakfast at Terrace were excellent, too. The spa services were fabulous and in a very cool tree house setting. The resort pool was incredible - infinity style with beautiful beach, sea and Piton views. The beach was meticulously maintained and the wait staff at the pool and beach kept the drinks flowing. The resort is well positioned to activities and restaurants in the town of Soufriere (e.g., Piton hike, Sulphur mud bath). Sugar Beach is top notch and 5-star luxury in every way. Very, very impressed.

Room Tip: We liked 700s, but 300s and 500s seemed very popular with resort guests, too. The higher the number...
1 Thank TheGrec67
Good day,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about your honeymoon at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We are committed to providing a high level of service to all of our guests and it is truly satisfying that your honeymoon was all you hoped it would be.
Again, we thank you for your comments and business. We hope to see you back for anniversary celebrations to come.

Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have just returned from this resort after a 10 day stay and wish we were back there. Everything about the resort was first class. The location, service, food, and accommodation.
The hotel is about a 1 hour drive from the airport by private transfer. When we arrived we were taken straight to our villa by our butler who dealt with all the paperwork of registration, as well as giving us a tour of the villa we had been upgraded to. We had a total of 3 butlers looking after us on 8 hour shifts. They were all superb, MONTY, DWIGHT and KURT. We were given a mobile phone to contact them at anytime day or night. VERY HANDY !
The resort is spread out over an area between the 2 Pitons called Sugar Beach. It is quite hilly but an on demand shuttle is available to take you to any part of the resort you want to go to.
Again the drivers could not have been nicer and quickly got to know us by name which was a very nice touch. We ate at the Bayside once but preferred the fine dining experience of The Great Room . The food was freshly prepared and presented beautifully by staff who could not do enough for you. We raised a laugh each evening by ordering the same dessert a beautifully cooked Grand Marnier Soufle, so much so that the staff didn't bother bringing the dessert menu for the last three nights of our stay.
On exiting the restaurant we were greeted by SHERMAN who had spotted us leaving the Great Room and had already ordered a shuttle to take us back to our villa. Now that's what I call service. He was another one of the staff who knew us by name and was a great character complimenting my wife every evening on her dresses. Breakfast was served on The Terrace and again was fantastic with a good selection of freshly prepared dishes as well as a well stocked buffet.
The villa was beautifully appointed in true Caribbean style and was spotlessly clean and well serviced. The only slight drawback were the mosquitos who loved us, however the staff sprayed the room daily and did everything they could to solve the problem.
We felt the resort was a little remote and you had to rely on water taxis or normal taxi if you did not hire a car and this was expensive as were most of the tours from the resort.
All in all we would not hesitate to return to Sugar Beach on the half board package which offered good value for money.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are located close to the main dining areas, whereas the villas require the use of the...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ian f
Good day,
Thank you for taking the time out to share your feedback about your vacation at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We take great delight in reading reviews such as yours and in knowing you appreciated the small touches and attention to details that made for a truly relaxing stay,
We fully understand your comments about taxi fares around the island. Unfortunately, the fares are set by the island’s taxi associations and as such, we have little control over the prices they charge for their services. The water taxi operators also set their own rates. We continue to work with them to try to negotiate better rates on behalf of our guests and the dialogue is on-going.
We hope that you will consider a return visit to us soon. Thank you for your review.
Best Regards,

André Boersma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!