This place was amazing. Only a 45 minute drive over from the airport (I think Rodney Bay is up to 2 hours). The location is absolutely the best on the island nestled right between the two pitons, right in the middle of the lush rainforest. The entire place smells like a botanical garden and the landscaping is impeccable. Because of its ideal location between the Pitons, the beach is tucked back in a cove and the water is completely still -- making it incredibly easy to swim and float around in without having to fight the waves. I also think this is one of the only true white sandy beaches on the island. Given the island is volcanic in nature, most beaches on the island are more rocky or black sand. During the recent renovation, the sand was imported from Ghana so it feels like the same beach you would get in Turks.
The resort is built directly up the hill with eight groups of private rooms. Because of this, (as many have mentioned), they shuttle you from the room to the beach and to breakfast, dinner, etc... But they make this extremely easy. They give all guests a mobile firefly that has direct access to their own "butler" who will arrange the shuttle and dinner reservations (and really anything you want -- and you can get creative) at all hours of the day. We never waited more than 3 minutes on a shuttle. Granted we were there in late July (slower season) but the fact we had to shuttle around did not take away from the vacation. The service was overall amazing.
Finally -- the rooms. Built up the mountain, each villa has its own private balcony with plunge pool. We stayed in 502 and had an amazing view of the water and the pitons from our balcony. The rooms are large (with huge bathrooms and double walk in shower) and decked out with local island artwork and the comfort of the beds rivaled that of the Westin. It was a bit of a splurge to stay here but I would do it again in a second.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort is set amidst more than 100 acres of tropical rainforest on the island's scenic Caribbean coast. Embraced by St Lucia's majestic World Heritage-listed Pitons, the resort's 96 Luxury Sugar Mill Rooms, Cottages, Villas and Luxury Beachfront Bungalows boast elegant styling, private plunge pool, four poster bed, luxurious Egyptian cotton linens, every possible modern amenity, and personalised butler service. Two stunning white sand beaches, beautiful Rainforest Spa with tree house treatment rooms, full PADI dive facility, and superb waterfront dining ensure the ultimate vacation experience with space enough for honeymooners and families alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, West Indies, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelbag, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jalousie Plantation Hotel Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation Soufrière
- Jalousie Plantation St Lucia
- Jalousie Hilton
- Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere