“Total Relaxation”

Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This place was amazing. Only a 45 minute drive over from the airport (I think Rodney Bay is up to 2 hours). The location is absolutely the best on the island nestled right between the two pitons, right in the middle of the lush rainforest. The entire place smells like a botanical garden and the landscaping is impeccable. Because of its ideal location between the Pitons, the beach is tucked back in a cove and the water is completely still -- making it incredibly easy to swim and float around in without having to fight the waves. I also think this is one of the only true white sandy beaches on the island. Given the island is volcanic in nature, most beaches on the island are more rocky or black sand. During the recent renovation, the sand was imported from Ghana so it feels like the same beach you would get in Turks.

The resort is built directly up the hill with eight groups of private rooms. Because of this, (as many have mentioned), they shuttle you from the room to the beach and to breakfast, dinner, etc... But they make this extremely easy. They give all guests a mobile firefly that has direct access to their own "butler" who will arrange the shuttle and dinner reservations (and really anything you want -- and you can get creative) at all hours of the day. We never waited more than 3 minutes on a shuttle. Granted we were there in late July (slower season) but the fact we had to shuttle around did not take away from the vacation. The service was overall amazing.

Finally -- the rooms. Built up the mountain, each villa has its own private balcony with plunge pool. We stayed in 502 and had an amazing view of the water and the pitons from our balcony. The rooms are large (with huge bathrooms and double walk in shower) and decked out with local island artwork and the comfort of the beds rivaled that of the Westin. It was a bit of a splurge to stay here but I would do it again in a second.

2  Thank dallashorn02
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Good day,

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to write this informative review about your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our stunning location and that your accommodation was all you hoped it would be.

We are also delighted that you are considering a return visit at some point in the future.
Once again, thank you for your comments and feedback.

Best Regards,
Andre Boersma

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed at Sugar Beach last April and have been meaning to write this review. This resort is perfect! I visited for one week with my husband and two children (6 months and 2 years old at the time) and I can't say enough wonderful things about this resort. The one bedroom suite was large, clean and comfortable for our family. Our room had a small pool, friendly butler service and amazing views. The beach and pool area are beyond words with plenty of chairs and space so I never felt overwhelmed by people (and the resort was at full capacity during our trip). The staff was so helpful and kind and helped arrange a few trips outside of the resort. I definitely recommend having a meal at Ladera and Jade Mountain (although no kids allowed at Jade Mountain) since both resorts are located in the mountains you get to really appreciate the landscape of St. Lucia. We also took a taxi boat ride from the resort to a burger and beer bar located on Honeymoon beach (the beach associated with Jade mountain and Anse Chastanet Resort, which does allow kids). It is very casual (picnic tables) but beautiful. And the burgers were a big hit with our 2 year old. Overall, I love this resort and will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank HappyTravelerNYC1000
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Good day,
Thank you for your valuable feedback about your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am happy to know that we exceeded your expectations in all areas and you had a wonderful time during your stay.
We will pass on your comments to the team to let them know that their extra care and attention really enhanced your vacation.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed a week at Sugar Beach with my two teenage children. The location in Val des Piton was a 45 minute drive from Hewanora airport, but well worth the trip. Simply spectacular location and resort. I felt I had arrived in paradise: lush rainforest, huge flowering trees, birds and little frogs chirping, gentle breezes, passing rains each afternoon, and warm warm sun. Our villa was in the 800s, high up in the canopy, with deck facing the ocean between the two Pitons... a glimmering, shifting expanse of blue that mesmerized me. Our plunge pool was just decadent... Cool and refreshing and all ours! Our rooms were beautiful, white linens, bed nets like fairy princessland (but necessary against Mosquitos, although we saw only a couple), and such deliciously comfy pillow top beds... I slept like a queen! The bathrooms were amazing, so well fitted, clean and stocked with fluffy towels and lovely toiletries in fullsize bottles like home. The food was excellent, and poolside/beachside service superb. My kids loved it. We had choices to dress up or dress down, sushi one night, another a BBQ and bonfire on the beach with live music. I loved every minute. The pool was crystalline, huge, and never crowded our week. I loved the mix of honeymooners and families, many from the UK. We spent a day at the spa..what a treat for mind and body, and the setting so breathtaking and unique... A jungle tree house, lattice walls and thatched roofs, birds singing, water flowing, and the outdoor showers another wonderful discovery. The staff at the resort all were so kind and friendly, accommodating, concerned and always with a smile. Our sailing adevture on the beautiful Manatee with Alvin and Yantel was a delight I will never forget. I could not have asked for more. Thank you to everyone at Sugar Beach for this taste of heaven.

Room Tip: Our villa was a one bedroom and plentry big enough for the three of us, with two beautiful bathrooms...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Margaret F

Good day,
Thank you for your positive and encouraging comments about your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort. I am confident that potential future guests will find your recommendations extremely helpful in planning their own stay.
We try our very best to anticipate the needs of our guests and to create experiences that not only match but exceed their expectations. I am delighted that this was certainly the case for you.
Once again, thank you for sharing your comments on TripAdvisor. We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We recently got back from a week long honeymoon here and we couldn't have picked a more amazing place. First off is the location, which is the reason we picked Sugar Beach as our destination. The resort sits on the beach and is nestled right in between the Piton mountains, which allows for breaktaking views from the rooms, on the beach, and from the Sunset Cruise. It's like a postcard. Secondly, the service is exceptional. We felt like royalty from the second we got there to the second we left. We were greeted by Shaun and Sherman who made us instantly feel welcome, and the 2 of them were outstanding all week and remembered our names as well. They brought us a rum and coconut drink as we waited at reception to be taken to our room. We were then taken to our room by our personal butler, Gus, who was also exceptional and was willing to go above and beyond for our needs. He gave us each given a small phone to contact him whenever we needed something in our room, a ride, or to make a reservation. Our room was complimentary upgraded to a Grand Villa in the 800's. The Villas are phenomenal and are surrounded by rainforest which was very cool and makes it even more secluded. The only complaint about our Villa is that the view to the Pitons and the sea were blocked by trees, which was a view I was looking forward to and was different from what I saw in pictures on the website and from Villas of couples we met and visited that week. The plunge pool was perfect after a long day in the sun on the beach, but the pools temperature was rather chilly to get into any other time, which other guests said as well.

Getting around the resort was very easy. We just had to call our butler Gus and a van, tuk-tuk, or utility vehicle would be there within minutes to pick us up. All of the drivers were very kind and were always asking about our stay and making sure it was perfect.

The beach was unreal, the cabanas were perfectly laid out. The chairs were very comfortable and could be moved to be under the cabanas shade or out into the sun. Sitting on the beach with a local Piton beer and looking up at the Piton mountains that surrounded each side of me, then out into the crystal clear Caribbean is an experience I will never forget. The servers on the beach were outstanding and would come around every 10 or 15 minutes to check on us and bring us drinks. You can also order lunch on the beach, and at the pool, from the resort's Bayside restaurant which was very good and brought out to your cabana by the servers. Our server on the beach for the majority of the week was Tyran, who was the nicest person we met all week. His presence was fantastic and was always checking on us to make sure we had everything we needed. My wife and I were actually a little sad telling him goodbye on the last day, haha.

During our stay we got a couples hot stone massage which was phenomenal. The spa at the resort is located in bungalows in the trees and was very beautiful. After the 50 minute massage there was a watsu pool in the rainforest that we got to relax in before leaving. It was heaven. We also did a zip line tour through the rainforest at a nearby location and it was a blast. If you book a tour through the resort, your guide will likely be Charly who is awesome! There are 8 platforms you zip to and he stops to talk about the surrounding St. Lucia landscapes and cities you get to see from the tour which was very fun and interesting.

The dining here was also great, but not out of this world. Our favorite meal was actually our dinner at Bayside and our lunches from there as well. The only dining flaws we had, was that the service at them seems very slow. I am not sure if this is how it is on the island, but don't except to be asked how everything is or if you need anything very often when dining. It is actually kind of surprising, based off how the rest of the service is throughout the resort is, you would think this is the area they would focus on the most in that aspect. If you need something and see a waiter, you better grab them!

The resort had many social gatherings during the nights which we loved. We attended the Black and White Party and the Bayside BBQ and we were able to meet a lot of other couples and people vacationing at the resort attending these events. They were fun and I would recommend anyone visiting to go.

Overall, this resort is 5 stars all the way. We instantly felt welcomed and like royalty from their staff. The personal butler and phone to communicate with him was fantastic to have. The dining was great, but nothing fantastic. This was all made up for from the location, beach, and service throughout the rest of the resort. It was like living in paradise while also living like royalty.

Room Tip: Do the all inclusive option
2  Thank TRC812

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your honeymoon at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We appreciate your positive comments highlighting the high quality service that you received from our friendly and professional team members, especially the individuals highlighted. They will be delighted with your feedback.
On the flip-side, I would like to apologize for the slow service that you experienced at the Bayside restaurant. We obviously need to undertake some refresher training in this area as our servers are taught to regularly check on guests to ensure their meals are to their satisfaction and to see if they need anything else. I am sorry this was not the case for you.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We hope you will consider a return visit in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We loved Sugar Beach. The beach is beautiful. Our room had an amazing view of the pitons and the ocean. The staff was very courteous. The staff goes out of their way to know every guests name. The snorkeling off the beach is great. The sulpher seduction tour through the spa is not to be missed! The only con for us was the butler service. I found it to be too fussy. This is really just a personal preference. As my husband an I were on a wedding anniversary trip, we would have preferred to be left alone a little more. Also, note that there is no iron or ironing board in the room. Plan ahead if you have ironing as you will need to call the butler to do it. I didn't find this out until about 20 minutes before our restaurant reservations and we didn't have time for the butler to iron what I was planning to wear. If you like being fussed over constantly, you will love this. If you don't, you may need to tell the butler that you prefer to do things yourself and to be left alone.

Room Tip: If you want a room with an ocean view, ask for it, you will not regret it!
2  Thank April P

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your anniversary stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
We are pleased to hear that you had a wonderful experience and that on balance to the services provided were to your satisfaction.
Thank you for your comments about the butler service. I have shared your observations with our head butler to ensure team members are providing intuitive service which does not intrude on guest privacy. I would like to apologise if the attention you received went over the top and marred an otherwise idyllic stay.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We are happy you chose Sugar Beach and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

My wife and I spend a four-day getaway at Sugar Beach in early July 2014, our second time in St. Lucia and the first at this hotel (but hopefully not the last one). Looking for as relaxing a break as possible, we never left the property: with its many venues to lounge around, an attractive beach and pool, plenty of activities and diversity of food and beverages offerings, we did not experience a single dull moment. I would consider the high-quality resort experience and the variety of experiences it offers the key attributes of Sugar Beach – at an overall reasonable price for resorts of this level.
RESORT LAYOUT: the resort occupies the beachfront at the foot of the Petit Piton and stretches into the tropical forest behind. The thick vegetation and the staggered slopeside layout of the villas provide ample privacy even though units are arranged in clusters. The drawback is that all guests, save those staying in the Sugar Mill Rooms by the Lobby and the Restaurant, need to depend on shuttles for transportation, not a real hassle as they were readily available with minimal wait time. Especially at night, the private roads are steep, curvy, dark and narrow: the resort drivers do not expect to share them with foot traffic.
SERVICE: In keeping with the local attitude, service was consistently genuine, courteous and attentive, but also discrete and without being overbearing; even though it operates on island time, all requests were completed on time and any little deficiency was quickly remedied. We took advantage of the Butler (rather, Butlers) assigned to our room far more frequently than ordering on-line through the in-room iPad, whose interface was occasionally buggy but anyway quite useful. We were more than happy to overlook these very small slip-ups in the face of everybody’s friendliness.
ROOM: we booked a Sugar Mill Room but we were upgraded upon arrival to a Luxury Villa on the hillside (with wading pool) for the same price. We were told the hotel often overbooks the Sugar Mill Rooms, as they represent the most attractive price points, and then automatically upgrades guests if space allows it. The villa presented itself very nicely: clean, spacious, well-appointed without being gratuitously decorated. Furniture, floors, deck boards and walls did show some signs of wear and tear, however. The covered patio was lovely and we had all our in-room meals in it, surrounded by dive-bombing birds and enterprising cats.
FOOD: we experienced all the restaurant venues, all of which delivered a good variety of well prepared and presented meals. Of all the Caribbean resorts we visited, Sugar Beach offered the best food and, even after three days of being served the same ingredients by the same kitchen, everything still tasted appealing and fresh. (I am excluding The Point at Tucker’s Point in Bermuda from this comparison, as it offers a different, upscale experience closer to a New York restaurant.)
BEACH: with the Pitons as its bookends, it is very picturesque, with fairly smooth sand and clean water at a refreshing temperature. It is however fairly small and narrow and, once it fills up, it can look quite crowded. Keep in mind that guests of the Ladera Resort, perched above Sugar Beach, also have access to it; guests of another mountainside resort, scheduled to be completed in next 12-18 months, will likely have access to it as well; as a result, it may become even busier during peak times. (Also, note that the beach shown in the hotel map in front of the new villas south of the main resort does not really exist yet.) Beach chairs and chaises were comfortable; bar service very frequent. As the beach access is public, as everywhere else in St. Lucia, we quickly got to recognize the peddlers and water taxi operators that call it home.
POOL: great space to relax, swim or have a cocktail. As it is quite large for a resort of this size, it never felt crowded.
SPA: according to my wife, it is the place to splurge without feel (too) guilty. I will have to take her word for it.

Good day,
On behalf of the entire team I would like to express how pleased we are that you enjoyed everything that we offered during your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort. Thank you for taking the time to share this detailed review.

We are committed to providing a high level of service to all of our guests and it is satisfying to know you enjoyed your overall experience.
Again, we would like to thank you for your comments and business. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Having been to St. Lucia previously, we decided to forego the Sandals cliché this time and focused on the southern end of the island.

What a difference.

Our first week we stayed Antse Chastene (reviewed elsewhere although somewhat disappointing) but then upgraded for our second week at Sugar Beach. The difference was stunning. Stepping back in time to this former sugar plantation was a breath of fresh air. The grounds were spotless. The entire complex (in the shadow of the Pitons) harkens to the plantation days: lush landscape, sugar white beach (no pun intended) Colonial/plantation architecture, and spread out just enough to not feel over crowded. The rooms are draped in white, 4 poster beds, large patios, etc.

Several dining choices from feet in the sand "beachy" fare to elegant dinners in the formal plantation house (A must...in fact we ended up there more than anywhere despite having to put on PANTS!!). Sushi bar was also very good. Fantastic breakfast buffets (plus cooked to order-and not while standing in a line waiting for an omelet...all ordered from your table with views of the ocean). We chose the breakfast/dinner package and near the end of our trip we totaled up what we WOULD have spent had we gone a la carte...the difference was minimal and well worth the convenience and it's all you can eat (...we decimated the sushi bar on one evening I'm afraid to say...).

Drink and food service at all beach chairs with no shortage of staff at your beck and call. Excellent water sports with top notch equipment. Full facility fitness center is a hefty walk to the top of the resort although always available mini-shuttles with friendly drivers will take you up. We used the walk as a warm up and a great start to the day-of doing NOTHING!!

The only downside was a PLETHURA of children (mostly European) although that was our fault as it was over Christmas and New Years...told by staff that once the kids are back in school they see few children in the spring and fall.

Make arrangements to take the short (10 minute) water taxi to the town of Soufriere. Ask the staff when their weekly outdoor farmer's market is and be prepared to bring back fresh fruit for the room).

This is not a location for the budget minded but well worth the upgrade. Absolutely plan to go back, and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Beach front villas are quieter than typical rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bumbalockus

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to share your Sugar Beach experience on TripAdvisor.
We are happy to know that the high level of service that you experienced exceeded your expectations in all areas. We are delighted that we created happy memories that will last a lifetime for all the right reasons.
Our staff will be very pleased with your comments. We will certainly commend them for a job well done.
We look forward to your return visit.
André Boersma

Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!